TCOM Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ac101ac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is guys........ we're official now.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone started filling out the FAFSa yet? I tried and it said I had to try in 2 days until my "match" (pin i guess) cleared with the social security office. Anyone get the same message?

Members don't see this ad :)
I made the great thread switch. Hope others follow suit.

As they say in the support groups: Hi. I'm Ryan, and I am no longer a PRE-med. :thumbup:

Hi there 2010,

Welcome to TCOM!

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you guys. I'm a 3rd year, but I remember well how many questions I had those first few months before starting school.

I can assure you that you will be VERY well prepared when you start your clinical years and that our grads match at some impressive programs. You have chosen well. We are known and loved all over the state! :love:

Enjoy your last months before starting school!

I'm here too. I can't wait to get started... on EVERYTHING!!!

TCOM rules!!! (I can't type that enough)

Has anyone found out what the typical weekly schedule is for the first and second years? Like, we're in class or lab all day everyday, or all day some days, etc.?

pmak67 said:
Has anyone found out what the typical weekly schedule is for the first and second years? Like, we're in class or lab all day everyday, or all day some days, etc.?

I found what appears to be a MSI, semester 2 schedule on the c/o 2006 website. If you go here, you can download it:

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/tcom2006/schedule.html

It looks like things are fairly evenly spread out.

Ryan - 1208 said:
I found what appears to be a MSI, semester 2 schedule on the c/o 2006 website. If you go here, you can download it:

Thanks, Bro, looks like it. I'm sure we'll hear something more up to date in the coming weeks. I'm so anxious to find out everything about what we're going to be doing! I feel like a kid again, er, sort of.

Ryan, where are you now? Are you finishing undergrad?

YAY !!! I'm glad to see no one got lost during the transition. Everyone is slowly starting to arrive!! :clap:

ok so I checked out that link that Ryan gave us.... (thanks Ryan it is very helpful) and went into the Spring Fling pictures...... THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING TO WEAR a SUMO FAT MAN OUTFIT ~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so if I have to I won't go. Hey where is the crying smilie so that I can put it here????

ac101ac said:
ok so I checked out that link that Ryan gave us.... (thanks Ryan it is very helpful) and went into the Spring Fling pictures...... THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING TO WEAR a SUMO FAT MAN OUTFIT ~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so if I have to I won't go. Hey where is the crying smilie so that I can put it here????
Oops, after hearing about that I now think that we won't be moving there until AFTER 4/22, hence I can't wear the outfit either. Ryan?!

ac101ac said:

LOL, the sumo outfit isn't required for Spring Fling (I don't even remember seeing it last year). The main thing to do at Spring Fling is to meet your future classmates, take another tour around the school to remind yourself why you're happy to attend TCOM, and probably most importantly, attend the housing fair to help you decide where to live in Fort Worth. And of course, there'll be lots of current students present to answer any questions you might have :)

pmak67 said:
Oops, after hearing about that I now think that we won't be moving there until AFTER 4/22, hence I can't wear the outfit either. Ryan?!

I'll wear the sumo outfit. BUT consider this my one and only "taking one for the team" for the next four years! :)

Oh, and PMAK, to answer your question above, I'm finishing up my undergrad at Texas Tech in Lubbock. I can't wait to get back to the DFW area.

Later, pals!

Members don't see this ad :)
RYAN YOU ARE THE BEST!!! That thong thing is just soooo wrong on those men.....YUK.... :laugh:

Ryan - 1208 said:
I'll wear the sumo outfit. BUT consider this my one and only "taking one for the team" for the next four years! :)

Oh, and PMAK, to answer your question above, I'm finishing up my undergrad at Texas Tech in Lubbock. I can't wait to get back to the DFW area.

Later, pals!

Dude, great to hear and it's certainly going to be nice for you to have one in the bank, but if you think one for the team is going to carry you through the first two years, much less all four, you might want to think again. With only 140 in our class, and probably a bunch that don't even know what a team is, I'm thinking we end up taking 8-10 apiece "for the team".

Ha! Sounds like ac101ac's diggin' the thong!

ac101ac said:
RYAN YOU ARE THE BEST!!! That thong thing is just soooo wrong on those men.....YUK.... :laugh:

ac/ac101/101/101ac/ac - who ARE you?! Do I know you?! :confused: Does the "ac" stand for anything?! Like "academically confident" or "athletically challenged" or...

"amazingly cool"?!

Come on, we all wanna know, WHO ARE YOU?! :laugh: :D

pmak67 said:
Dude, great to hear and it's certainly going to be nice for you to have one in the bank, but if you think one for the team is going to carry you through the first two years, much less all four, you might want to think again. With only 140 in our class, and probably a bunch that don't even know what a team is, I'm thinking we end up taking 8-10 apiece "for the team".

Touche, my OOS classmate. :cool:

Oh, and I just realized that I'll be in Fort Worth this week/end with Texas Tech's Symphony (yes, we have one)! Maybe we can stop by and serenade good ol' TCOM while we're there. I mean, it IS in the arts district, right? +pity+

A palindrome INDEED !!! Same forward as is backwards.... (well sort of )

Ryan - 1208 said:
Touche, my OOS classmate. :cool:

Oh, and I just realized that I'll be in Fort Worth this week/end with Texas Tech's Symphony (yes, we have one)! Maybe we can stop by and serenade good ol' TCOM while we're there. I mean, it IS in the arts district, right? +pity+

Hey Ryan! I might be in Fort Worth too.... still not sure though. So what do you play?

pmak67 said:

Ha! Sounds like ac101ac's diggin' the thong!

Pmak..... There is no thong diggin' on this end....... :p

Ryan - 1208 said:

So when is this Spring Fling everyone is talking about? I am looking forward to meet my fellow classmates.

shutterbug said:
So when is this Spring Fling everyone is talking about? I am looking forward to meet my fellow classmates.

Spring Fling weekend has been scheduled for Friday, April 21, and Saturday, April 22. April 21st is actually a preview day where you join your classmates for dinner, student panels, and tours (and a social at night). Events for Saturday, April 22nd, are still being planned, but last year there was a basketball tournament and a housing fair (I didn't stay too long so I don't know what else there was). Housing fair is definitely helpful :thumbup:

ac101ac said:
Hey Ryan! I might be in Fort Worth too.... still not sure though. So what do you play?

Violin!

Enjoy the rest of the week, everybody. I'll be away from SDN until Saturday. Hopefully there'll be lots of new updates/people when I get back. Adios for now! :)

Hey fellow '10ers. We've got 2 threads going for TUCOM '10. I'd thought I'd introduce myself here as well.

My name is Tom. I'm 24 years old and currently living and working in Cambridge, MA. (Yes, its freezing!) I enjoy rock climbing, skiing, hiking, weight lifting, soccer, and anime. I'm still working on the logistical nightmare of moving from coast to coast and dealing with the the loans, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

In addition, I am also looking for potential a roomate or two. I'd like to find an apartment or townhouse in Benecia, or somewhere other than Vallejo . Please let me know if you are interested. I'm a neat, quiet, and respectful rommate. (If your into video or computer games that's a big plus in my book!) email me at: [email protected]

See you this August!

Aisujin said:
Hey fellow '10ers. We've got 2 threads going for TUCOM '10. I'd thought I'd introduce myself here as well.

My name is Tom. I'm 24 years old and currently living and working in Cambridge, MA. (Yes, its freezing!) I enjoy rock climbing, skiing, hiking, weight lifting, soccer, and anime. I'm still working on the logistical nightmare of moving from coast to coast and dealing with the the loans, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

In addition, I am also looking for potential a roomate or two. I'd like to find an apartment or townhouse in Benecia, or somewhere other than Vallejo . Please let me know if you are interested. I'm a neat, quiet, and respectful rommate. (If your into video or computer games that's a big plus in my book!) email me at: [email protected]

See you this August!

Sorry, Bro, this is for the class of 2010 at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) in Fort Worth, not Touro.

Best of luck though, and congrats on your acceptance!

Ryan - 1208 said:
Violin!

Enjoy the rest of the week, everybody. I'll be away from SDN until Saturday. Hopefully there'll be lots of new updates/people when I get back. Adios for now! :)

Nice. Now we're starting to see the talent that is the class of 2010.

I played the trombone in high school. Maybe we can start a band.

Ac101ac, do you play anything?

:laugh: My mistake!

pmak67 said:
Nice. Now we're starting to see the talent that is the class of 2010.

I played the trombone in high school. Maybe we can start a band.

Ac101ac, do you play anything?

Yes I do... I play Barbies... oh you mean instruments.... well I have a piano however I don't know how to play it so i just mess with it .... sometimes it sounds good... but most of the time it just scares my dogs away :oops:

Anyone else play anything?

If anyone is looking for a bargain place to rent out, my roomate and I are moving out of our duplex after may. Two bed rooms, living room and kitchen. Modern affordable places close to school are hard to find. I moved out of two different complexes b/c I couldn't stand the old grimy apartments that make up the majority of the "cheap" leases around TCOM. I hated the gas heaters and ac units that hang out the windows that didn't have a built in thermostat. If interested I can take a bunch of pics. And believe me its worth it to snatch up this place even if you have to pay the extra two months this summer.

Hey nrddt, where have you been? So you're not gonna stay in Fort Worth after all? I think you told me last time you got into kcom is that right? how far is your place from tcom? I'm still not sure where I'm going to end up living but you can pm more info. just in case. Thanks for your help.

ok guys so what do we need to get ready before we start school. I'll start the list and you guys help me fill it out.

1. Fill out FAFSA
2. Mail in official transcripts
3. Have your Hep-B shots complete
4. ?? ???

ac101ac said:
ok guys so what do we need to get ready before we start school. I'll start the list and you guys help me fill it out.

1. Fill out FAFSA
2. Mail in official transcripts
3. Have your Hep-B shots complete
4. ?? ???

Congratulations everyone....for my $.02

Get some sleep, chill with friends and family before the 'adventure' starts, get more sleep, you'll be needing it..... ;)

Seriously, relax and enjoy your summer. The work begins soon enough. I ran around like a chicken with the head cut off last year over the summer when I probably should have been storing up sleep. There's not really much you can do to prepare you for medical school and the pace. It starts out deceptively easy...this is an acid, this is a base, this is pH, here's how you calculate it....then WHAM......

You've picked a good school though. Everyone here is really friendly and helpful. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. You'll probably be assigned a 'big buddy' to answer your questions and show you the ropes.....

Again, welcome!!!!

YAY!! When do we get our "big buddy"? We'll have a ton of questions for them ready.....

ac101ac said:
Hey nrddt, where have you been? So you're not gonna stay in Fort Worth after all? I think you told me last time you got into kcom is that right? how far is your place from tcom? I'm still not sure where I'm going to end up living but you can pm more info. just in case. Thanks for your help.

I'm currently waitlisted at TCOM so I'm in limbo. KCUMB is for sure right now so thats where I plan to go this fall. My roomate is leaving at the end of may and I'm done with my masters in May so I plan on moving out also. I'll pm you with pics and details if you need.

If you type in 855 Montgomery St., FW 76107 and 3735 Modlin Ave into google maps you'll see how far it is from campus. (actually google has it wrong, you have to count 5 houses down the street) You can see my roomates white car parked in back, hehe.

Heres the link in the housing section.
http://students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/item.cfm?type=2021

Hey Guys,

Congrats on your acceptance to a fine institution.

One word of caution, don't pay attention to the schedule that was linked earlier in the thread. Why? Because so much has changed since 2002. First of all, we no longer have ICE. In fact, I am not even sure what it stood for. Also, the spring semester will most likely be longer and Clin Med is every week and not just for 2 weeks in the spring. You will get a link to your fall semester this summer and that will give you a better indication of what to expect.

But again, congratulations on your acceptance. I look forward to meeting to you guys at Preview and Spring Fling.

Amber
MS1

ac101ac said:
YAY!! When do we get our "big buddy"? We'll have a ton of questions for them ready.....

I think we got ours around mid-July. You'll have a lunch later on in the year with them - I think around mid-cell science and before white coat. I second the comment about the schedule. It's evolving to make the program better. Believe me, you'll be amazed at how much you learn in a very short time and then quickly realize how little you truly know.

nrddct said:
If anyone is looking for a bargain place to rent out, my roomate and I are moving out of our duplex after may. Two bed rooms, living room and kitchen. Modern affordable places close to school are hard to find. I moved out of two different complexes b/c I couldn't stand the old grimy apartments that make up the majority of the "cheap" leases around TCOM. I hated the gas heaters and ac units that hang out the windows that didn't have a built in thermostat. If interested I can take a bunch of pics. And believe me its worth it to snatch up this place even if you have to pay the extra two months this summer.

hey. i am a current first year at TCOM looking for a new place starting this sumer. where is your place at, how big, how much etc if it is still available for the summer and beyond. also are pets allowed. i am looking for somewhere closer to the school that is somewhat cheaper than what i am paying now. anyhoo, hope to hear back from you!
Jamie

Sorry about posting the link to the outdated schedule, guys! I didn't know things had changed so much, and I was just searching around the TCOM site. I guess this makes the anticipation of our updated and mysterious schedule just a wee bit more exciting!

Ryan - 1208 said:
Sorry about posting the link to the outdated schedule, guys! I didn't know things had changed so much, and I was just searching around the TCOM site. I guess this makes the anticipation of our updated and mysterious schedule just a wee bit more exciting!

Hey Ryan you're back from fort worth.... how did it go???

ac101ac said:
Hey Ryan you're back from fort worth.... how did it go???

It was awesome! I can't wait to get there for real. Didn't get to see TCOM, but we did catch a Fort Worth Symphony concert. Think we can get financial assistance for season tickets? :thumbup:

Ryan - 1208 said:
It was awesome! I can't wait to get there for real. Didn't get to see TCOM, but we did catch a Fort Worth Symphony concert. Think we can get financial assistance for season tickets? :thumbup:

I'm glad you had a great time.... not sure how the financial aid thing works but I'm soon going to find out. Are you done with FAFSA?

ALSO Does anyone know when we're going to have the white coat ceremony? When does that happen?

ac101ac said:
ALSO Does anyone know when we're going to have the white coat ceremony? When does that happen?

late September-ish

HI, I am actually a postbac here at TCOM, and just wanted to say you all are going to attend an awesome school. The faculty are really nice and willing to help out any student who is having trouble. We post bacs actually have our interviews this week so wish us luck. any way it going to be tough decision for me because i actually matched at a another texas school, either way i would be happy to attend TCOM if had the chance.

For those who already live in Fort Worth........
Can you please tell me about living on 4th,5th or 6th street right behind TCOM? Monticello Area I believe? How is it? Safe, expensive, who lives there.....do many students live around those areas or is it mostly families? Any opinions?

ac101ac said:
For those who already live in Fort Worth........
Can you please tell me about living on 4th,5th or 6th street right behind TCOM? Monticello Area I believe? How is it? Safe, expensive, who lives there.....do many students live around those areas or is it mostly families? Any opinions?

There are a few small apartment units there but the vast majority of Monticello is "the rich" crowd. You might find something if you get here and look quick, but the cheap small units on that side of the school are few and far between, and go quickly. Most people end up driving 4-5 miles down Camp Bowie and Hulen and even south of I20 at Bryant Irvin.

I am a little late but i am here now. Didn't know u guys already started TCOM class of 2010 thread. Yup I am going to TCOM come July. I just realized i can't come to the Spring Fling :( Thought i'd get some traveling done :) so you guys keep me posted on what i missed! By the way, when are we getting our class website? Take care you guys!!!

Hey Kite runner ... welcome to our group... glad you could join. so where are you going that you won't be able to make it to the spring fling? Keep in touch and we'll let you know what's happening. Are you from out of state or in state?

kite_runner said:
I am a little late but i am here now. Didn't know u guys already started TCOM class of 2010 thread. Yup I am going to TCOM come July. I just realized i can't come to the Spring Fling :( Thought i'd get some traveling done :) so you guys keep me posted on what i missed! By the way, when are we getting our class website? Take care you guys!!!

kite_runner said:

Welcome, kite_runner! I keep checking for our class website everyday! Maybe I should get a life. Sorry you can't make it to Spring Fling, though!