TCOM Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bat5751 said:
Hey man...that's right, I'm with you. I mean, what's the worse that can happen? Getting dressed down (pun not intended) by someone on the faculty? It's gonna happen a lot at least in residency...may as well get used to it. If it's just for badge photos, the guys could wear short sleeve shirts, ties, and SHORTS and SANDALS. ;) Anyone game?

But really, other than looking nice for pictures on the first day, why not wear whatever's comfortable the other 4 days of the week? My *packet* I got in the mail today that mentioned orientation in the cover letter didn't say anything about dress.

Any 2009ers wanna weigh in on this?

well...I want my badge photo air-brushed!!!!!! :laugh: ok, j/k, well unless we can really get them air-brushed... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

bat5751 said:
Hey man...that's right, I'm with you. I mean, what's the worse that can happen? Getting dressed down (pun not intended) by someone on the faculty? It's gonna happen a lot at least in residency...may as well get used to it. If it's just for badge photos, the guys could wear short sleeve shirts, ties, and SHORTS and SANDALS. ;) Anyone game?

But really, other than looking nice for pictures on the first day, why not wear whatever's comfortable the other 4 days of the week? My *packet* I got in the mail today that mentioned orientation in the cover letter didn't say anything about dress.

Any 2009ers wanna weigh in on this?

Hey sorry if I offended anyone...I didn't really mean to make light of the matter :oops: . But anyways, in all seriousness, Bat5751 makes an excellent point. Go with whatever you feel comfortable: if that's a black dress with high heels or a three piece suit with boots, then more power to you. For you out of staters (especially the Cali folks), Texas is humid, hot and nasty, so don't wear too many layers.

I also want to say that everyone seem really nice, motivated, and friendly. I can't wait to meet all of you and I know that this year will be a blast.

sic 'em bears :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
ILoveIceCream said:
Go with whatever you feel comfortable: if that's a black dress with high heels
I could where the dress, but I am not sure that is the impression I want to give out at first. Besides, I don't think I could fit in my wife's dresses or shoes. :)

I was at the medical school on Friday, partaking in ADLS (Disaster certification) of the incoming 3rd years. Volunteering was fun, they should have several spots open for tomorrow, 7:30-3:00, with lunch provided (pizza). It was fun, got "moulaged" and set up in scenarios to assist in disaster preparedness. We were done about 2:00 on Friday. I was able to spend some time with Misty Holt and Rynn and did get a chance to look over our actual orientation schedule. She said shirt, tie and slacks (business) for day 1 orientation (lab coats will be provided for the pics and we will get fitted for white coats). Business casual the rest of the week ,i.e., khakis or slacks and a button down or nice polo. I will try and get a copy to post soon.

Roni

I finally got my big buddy and ordered a few books. I scheduled my medical appts and found insurance to buy. What a change from last week. Hope you guys are making progress as well.

johnjuan said:
I finally got my big buddy and ordered a few books. I scheduled my medical appts and found insurance to buy. What a change from last week. Hope you guys are making progress as well.

still looking for insurance....haven't had time to really read up on one since I am currently arguing with current insurance about stuff :mad:

MoxieDO said:
still looking for insurance....haven't had time to really read up on one since I am currently arguing with current insurance about stuff :mad:
I think I will just go with the cheapest monthly premium I can and hope for the best. Probably going to go with unicare. I had them before and don't remember any big problems. I think you can get $2000 deductible with 75/25 copay after deductible for 70 or 80 dollars a month.

johnjuan said:
I think I will just go with the cheapest monthly premium I can and hope for the best. Probably going to go with unicare. I had them before and don't remember any big problems. I think you can get $2000 deductible with 75/25 copay after deductible for 70 or 80 dollars a month.

that is a lot still. I can go to the doc pretty often, usually at least once a semester. Does the clinic provide visits that are free? Esp. if we pay a student fee...that is what they did at baylor. I have printed out the soma insurance plan and will read over it within the next few days.

Hello!! I just wanted to say how happy I am that I stumbled across this. I've been clicking and clicking all over the TCOM website for a month now in my free time without finding out what I really wanted to know. All of you have answered so many questions already. I already feel less lost and overwhelmed! Thank you!!

I'm moving to Ft Worth at the beginning of July. And unfortunately, will not be able to make the biochem class (and I do need to take it) because I'll be at the beach. ;)

I can't wait for class to start.. I've been out of school for a year (and working mostly), and I've come to terms with my "nerd"-ness by finding out how much I miss school! I hope I won't eat my words after going on 2 hours sleep, being over-caffeinated, and still having tons of studying to do.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

MoxieDO said:
Does the clinic provide visits that are free? Esp. if we pay a student fee...

From what I understand you can see a doctor for free but any tests, shots, or whatnot will cost you.

silver_sunset said:
And unfortunately, will not be able to make the biochem class

I haven't heard anything about this biochem class, where did you all get information on this? I tried to log in to the student forums on our class website and it wouldn't let me.

Thanks for the info!

johnjuan said:
From what I understand you can see a doctor for free but any tests, shots, or whatnot will cost you.

You'll see the NP, but she is awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
jbp100 said:
I haven't heard anything about this biochem class, where did you all get information on this? I tried to log in to the student forums on our class website and it wouldn't let me.

Thanks for the info!

You should be getting the registration stuff via snail mail very soon. I got mine today. You can also access it on our web site and if you are having trouble call them and they'll get you registered right away. I think you need to call Rynn Sloan.

pssst ..... where did everybody go?

Who's done with Path? :confused:

ac101ac said:
pssst ..... where did everybody go?

I'm still here, waiting for people to post, just like you. :)

Who's done with Path? :confused:

I am! The word of the day is apoptosis.

Dax

When can we pay for tuition and fees (if we're not waiting for the loans to come in)? Are we already officially registered?

UserNameNeeded said:
When can we pay for tuition and fees (if we're not waiting for the loans to come in)? Are we already officially registered?

I had my financial aid meeting the other day and she said that our tuition and fees would be paid for on the 21. Is the stuff in the mail different from the orientation packet that came a couple of weeks ago?

UserNameNeeded said:
We are not officially registered in until after orientation. Its weird, but they handle all of the registration for us...we just show up. I tried to get an enrollment verification letter this week to send to my bank and the letter the registrar sent said this........"He will matriculate on August 07, 2006, and anticipates graduating with a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree on May 15, 2010."

Hi... I need some insight, please!! On my "to do" list on the tcom website, it says that I need to turn in transcripts from all 3 colleges I attended (one I graduated from, a community college, and one foreign/study abroad). I've already sent one from the college I graduated from way back in March, (I graduated last year -'05), and it is still on my "to list" - which is weird. So - I'm just verifying with you all that I need to send a transcript from all three colleges I attended, even though they recieved copies last year with my application from TMDSAS. Which department do I talk to about this?

silver_sunset said:
Hi... I need some insight, please!! On my "to do" list on the tcom website, it says that I need to turn in transcripts from all 3 colleges I attended (one I graduated from, a community college, and one foreign/study abroad). I've already sent one from the college I graduated from way back in March, (I graduated last year -'05), and it is still on my "to list" - which is weird. So - I'm just verifying with you all that I need to send a transcript from all three colleges I attended, even though they recieved copies last year with my application from TMDSAS. Which department do I talk to about this?

You do need to send a copy of your transcripts from each college even though you sent them to TMDSAS.

MarkTCOM'10 said:
You do need to send a copy of your transcripts from each college even though you sent them to TMDSAS.
Woohoo, I am settling into ftw this week, No internet :( driving me bonkers, i gave in and paid to use it at starbucks, tomorrow I am going to see if I can get free wireless somewhere else. Scary cableman hasnt come yet. Anyways, if you check under application status in the admissions portion of the student portal, you should see a "complete" if you have sent all ur apps to tcom. Also, I see that our account balance is finally up, this is for both semesters right? :confused: Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I still havent recieved any packets, I hope they are sending them to my ftw address, I guess I will call tomorrow.

MoxieDO said:
I still havent recieved any packets, I hope they are sending them to my ftw address, I guess I will call tomorrow.

Well, I logged onto the student portal and found my OWN long to-do list (I am such a slacker ;) ) I also found that you can change your mailing address and/or phone numbers, and/or email addresses online! This is a good thing, b/c they were mailing all my information to my old address and it was taking an additional 2 weeks by the time it was forwarded to me. Hopes this helps Moxie!

jbp100 said:
Well, I logged onto the student portal and found my OWN long to-do list (I am such a slacker ;) ) I also found that you can change your mailing address and/or phone numbers, and/or email addresses online! This is a good thing, b/c they were mailing all my information to my old address and it was taking an additional 2 weeks by the time it was forwarded to me. Hopes this helps Moxie!

Does anyone know about the assigned reading for first years (2010)? I heard it was the first chapter of Robbins book, but not sure.

MAVSMANIAC said:
Does anyone know about the assigned reading for first years (2010)? I heard it was the first chapter of Robbins book, but not sure.
Have you looked at our class website? There is a forum on there with a specific thread for assigned reading. There is a lot of helpful information in the forum. I believe we are also required to read "The DOs" before orientation. I am a quarter of the way through it and think it is very interesting. You are correct about the first chapter in the robbins book. They also posted a suggested reading in the cell science book.

here is the address http://dosaf.hsc.unt.edu

Has anyone already gotten the orientation paperwork in the mail yet? just wondering.

johnjuan said:
Have you looked at our class website? There is a forum on there with a specific thread for assigned reading. There is a lot of helpful information in the forum. I believe we are also required to read "The DOs" before orientation. I am a quarter of the way through it and think it is very interesting. You are correct about the first chapter in the robbins book. They also posted a suggested reading in the cell science book.

here is the address http://dosaf.hsc.unt.edu

Is everyone going to actually read the books? let's not do it and say we did ;)

Dax said:
I'm still here, waiting for people to post, just like you. :)

I am! The word of the day is apoptosis.

Dax

How are you defining apoptosis?
Apoptosis is a more orderly process of cell death in which there is individual cell necrosis, not necrosis of large numbers of cells.

or just as cell mediated suicide?

Just to let yall know, the top gunners in your class are going to be MAVSMANIC and ILOVEICECREAM, these guys aced all the postbac classes, and one of them, got the highest anatomy avg. grade, (which included last years MS1s!!!. Just giving you guys a heads up :D j/k, or i am :) .. I hope all of yall have a great 1st year. Oh yeah, when studying Dr. Wu's part during cell science, look at old exams, almost all his questions come from old exams :D

ac101ac said:
How are you defining apoptosis?
Apoptosis is a more orderly process of cell death in which there is individual cell necrosis, not necrosis of large numbers of cells.

or just as cell mediated suicide?

Apoptosis to me is a cell mediated cascade of events where a cell 'takes care of itself' as it dies. There is no inflammatory debris left at the site.

To quote the text: "Thus, apoptosis is fundamentally different than necrosis, which is characterized by loss of membrane integrity, enzymatic digestion of cells, and frequently a host reaction. However, apoptosis and necrosis sometimes coexist, and they may share some common features and mechanisms"

So, apoptosis and necrosis are mutually exclusive pathways but can occur at the same site.

Dax

Dax said:
Apoptosis to me is a cell mediated cascade of events where a cell 'takes care of itself' as it dies. There is no inflammatory debris left at the site.

To quote the text: "Thus, apoptosis is fundamentally different than necrosis, which is characterized by loss of membrane integrity, enzymatic digestion of cells, and frequently a host reaction. However, apoptosis and necrosis sometimes coexist, and they may share some common features and mechanisms"

So, apoptosis and necrosis are mutually exclusive pathways but can occur at the same site.

Dax

Thanks Dax...correct me if I am wrong

apoptosis= normal physiology...say from aging....Apoptosis is characterized by nuclear chromatin condensation, cytoplasmic shrinking, dilated endoplasmic reticulum, and membrane blebbing, but mitochondria remain the same.

necrosis = acute injury to cells

ac101ac said:
Thanks Dax...correct me if I am wrong

apoptosis= normal physiology...say from aging....Apoptosis is characterized by nuclear chromatin condensation, cytoplasmic shrinking, dilated endoplasmic reticulum, and membrane blebbing, but mitochondria remain the same.

necrosis = acute injury to cells

That's how I understand it.

Dax

Basically, Necrosis is like an atomic bomb going off in the cell where as apoptosis is a more controlled regulated process. Important to remember about apoptosis is the pathway involved to stimulate the cell the go through apoptosis. There are two pathways, intrinsic and extrinsic. The extrinsic apoptosis pathway is involves the binding of the Fas ligand to the Fas receptor resulting in a cell signalling that causes a clustering of the Fas receptors. The clustering of the Fas receptors recuits FADD and pro-caspase 8. The pro-caspase is a pro-enzyme, similar to your tryposinogen going to trypsin. When your pro-caspase 8 is activated to caspase 8 through autocatalysis, it will then activate pro caspase 3. It is the caspase 3 that will initiate apoptosis.

Then there is the intrinsic pathway that is a little more tricky. This is usually caused by some internal damage from the mitochondria. When mitochondria is damaged, it will release cytochrome C. This is easy to remember because your Cytochrome C is important in the electron transport chain. It can either be oxidized or reduced as the electrons are being bounced around to the final electron acceptor, oxygen. So the mitochondria releases cytochrome C from the internal mitochondrial membrane. Cytochrome c, released from damaged mitochondria, binds Apaf1, which then activates an initiator caspase, in this case caspase 9, which then activates the effector caspase, caspase 3.

There is also a Bax protein that can be signalled to go into the mitochondria and cause it to start releasing all this stuff as well. When studying this stuff it is important to know just know what the stuff means, but to go into all these detail so that you can fully comprehend apoptosis and necrosis. The difference between apoptosis and necrosis will be like 1 question on the test whereas this whole pathway will be 5-6 questions.

spursss said:
Basically, Necrosis is like an atomic bomb going off in the cell where as apoptosis is a more controlled regulated process. Important to remember about apoptosis is the pathway involved to stimulate the cell the go through apoptosis. There are two pathways, intrinsic and extrinsic. The extrinsic apoptosis pathway is involves the binding of the Fas ligand to the Fas receptor resulting in a cell signalling that causes a clustering of the Fas receptors. The clustering of the Fas receptors recuits FADD and pro-caspase 8. The pro-caspase is a pro-enzyme, similar to your tryposinogen going to trypsin. When your pro-caspase 8 is activated to caspase 8 through autocatalysis, it will then activate pro caspase 3. It is the caspase 3 that will initiate apoptosis.

Then there is the intrinsic pathway that is a little more tricky. This is usually caused by some internal damage from the mitochondria. When mitochondria is damaged, it will release cytochrome C. This is easy to remember because your Cytochrome C is important in the electron transport chain. It can either be oxidized or reduced as the electrons are being bounced around to the final electron acceptor, oxygen. So the mitochondria releases cytochrome C from the internal mitochondrial membrane. Cytochrome c, released from damaged mitochondria, binds Apaf1, which then activates an initiator caspase, in this case caspase 9, which then activates the effector caspase, caspase 3.

There is also a Bax protein that can be signalled to go into the mitochondria and cause it to start releasing all this stuff as well. When studying this stuff it is important to know just know what the stuff means, but to go into all these detail so that you can fully comprehend apoptosis and necrosis. The difference between apoptosis and necrosis will be like 1 question on the test whereas this whole pathway will be 5-6 questions.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :laugh:

Seriously though, thanks for the breakdown.

Dax

spursss said:

Geez! Good thing that you are a spurs fan also :D

spursss said:

:wow:

Hey y'all - I got my very first interview and it's with TCOM. I've read over the interview feedback and I'm :scared:

The admissions staff seem very nice. I hope the interviewers are like this as well. :thumbup:

Y_Marker said:
Hey y'all - I got my very first interview and it's with TCOM. I've read over the interview feedback and I'm :scared:

The admissions staff seem very nice. I hope the interviewers are like this as well. :thumbup:

CONGRATS!! You'll really enjoy your interviews.... no sweat. Everyone is super nice and they try to make you feel comfortable... good luck! you'll do fine.

ac101ac said:
CONGRATS!! You'll really enjoy your interviews.... no sweat. Everyone is super nice and they try to make you feel comfortable... good luck! you'll do fine.

Thanks ac101ac. Anyone had back to back interviews? How should I prepare?

Y_Marker said:
Thanks ac101ac. Anyone had back to back interviews? How should I prepare?

Just enjoy yourself :) Most folks arent out to get you, they're just making sure you aren't a psycho. Maybe have a friend drive you to the second interview so that you have time to rest a little. Most importantly, be honest about who you are, what you love and what you have and want to accomplish. Believe me or not, most personal interviews (although I'm not sure for residencies) do not factor significantly into your acceptance (unless they absolutely hate you). You're almost there in your quest of being a physician and I want to wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:

ILoveIceCream said:
Just enjoy yourself :) Most folks arent out to get you, they're just making sure you aren't a psycho. Maybe have a friend drive you to the second interview so that you have time to rest a little. Most importantly, be honest about who you are, what you love and what you have and want to accomplish. Believe me or not, most personal interviews (although I'm not sure for residencies) do not factor significantly into your acceptance (unless they absolutely hate you). You're almost there in your quest of being a physician and I want to wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:

I hadn't realized that the first & second interviews could be in different buildings or far apart. So y'all didn't have any tough ethics questions or such? And thank you ILoveIceCream :)

Y_Marker said:
I hadn't realized that the first & second interviews could be in different buildings or far apart. So y'all didn't have any tough ethics questions or such? And thank you ILoveIceCream :)
Y_Marker, sorry, I thought you were referring to a second interview at a different school the very next day. But yeah, there is plenty of time between the first and second interview at the same school :) usually!

Y_Marker said:

Usually you'll have one interview, then lunch, then the other interview right after lunch. If you're in the rural pgm. you'll have three interviews. Plus another interview by a rural physician at a rural site on a different day. About the ethics questions .... I think it depends who you get. One of my interviewers was a pharmacist doing research and she asked me where I stood as far as funding and doing research on 3rd world countries..... it reminded me of that movie "the constant gardener" you should watch it. Just relax, they like that... you'll be like a fresh of breath air instead of the usual nervous pre-med. Good luck to you!! :luck:

Y_Marker said:

Congrats! The interviews are only as stressful as you make them. Relax and most of all be HONEST. My interviews were with Robbye Richards, D.O. and Dr. Jerry Alexander, PhD who is the director of Academic Information Services. No crazy ethics questions were asked. They mainly focused on why you want to pursue a career in medicine, volunteering, career history (since i'm an old man, this was important to them), and what your future plans are. Best of luck!!

Dax

dbzgohan said:
Just to let yall know, the top gunners in your class are going to be MAVSMANIC and ILOVEICECREAM, these guys aced all the postbac classes, and one of them, got the highest anatomy avg. grade, (which included last years MS1s!!!. Just giving you guys a heads up :D j/k, or i am :) .. I hope all of yall have a great 1st year. Oh yeah, when studying Dr. Wu's part during cell science, look at old exams, almost all his questions come from old exams :D

Whatever dbzgohan, I barely got by and by the way, maybe I should give Southwestern a serious heads up for the earth shattering competition that you will bring! :oops:

what is the deal with scrubs and other goodies that will make me look like a doctor? stethescope, calidiscope, endoscope, enema givers, latex gloves, and q-tips? will the school be providing all of these?

what do i need to have when i walk into class on day 1? what will i need to have later that week/month?

duci said:
what is the deal with scrubs and other goodies that will make me look like a doctor?

hahaha the world of medicine will be in real trouble when the qualifications of physicians are based on "scrubs and other goodies."

seriously, you will probably have to buy everything yourself, but you might as well wait until they tell you the exact things you need.

i don't know if you know, but where would i get this stuff? scrubs i can take care of, but the other stuff i don't know about. and does anyone know how i can get my hands on the computer i'm buying? do i show up at student services and ask for my laptop? any feed back would be great.

italia en la copa!

ILoveIceCream said:
hahaha the world of medicine will be in real trouble when the qualifications of physicians are based on "scrubs and other goodies."

seriously, you will probably have to buy everything yourself, but you might as well wait until they tell you the exact things you need.

duci said:
i don't know if you know, but where would i get this stuff? scrubs i can take care of, but the other stuff i don't know about. and does anyone know how i can get my hands on the computer i'm buying? do i show up at student services and ask for my laptop? any feed back would be great.

italia en la copa!

Your computer will be given to you on tuesday of orientation and you will have the opportunity to purchase the "stuff" you need later that week. I think scrubs will only be used for anatomy lab and previous students will often pass them down. There is a required equipment list and discussion threads at our official class website.