TCOM Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bugirl06 said:
i just wanted to say hi to fellow future classmates. i've been following this thread for a while now. thought i should drop in to say hello. how many members of the class actually went to spring fling? i wasn't able to go...i've been so busy trying to finish up school work and projects. other than housing, socializing, and the reading assignment was there anything else important i missed?

no :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Have you guys checked out the "LOOSE CHANGE" second edition video off of google? If not you have to.... tell me what you guys think about it. PLEASE PLEASE watch this video.

For anyone who's thinking of living in the Monticello Crossroad area, do not consider it anymore! I live here now for nearly a year and I can honestly tell you that it is definitely not worth it. I'm a guy and I hardly feel safe here at night. I had to settle for this place last year because I was not here long enough to find a place to live. If you're a girl, living by yourself, please stay away.

Members don't see this ad :)
ILoveIceCream said:
For anyone who's thinking of living in the Monticello Crossroad area, do not consider it anymore! I live here now for nearly a year and I can honestly tell you that it is definitely not worth it. I'm a guy and I hardly feel safe here at night. I had to settle for this place last year because I was not here long enough to find a place to live. If you're a girl, living by yourself, please stay away.

Good to know. I almost thought about living there because of the location, but I didnt want to park my car in the street.

What is SOMA? What is Netters? Someone give me a clue about what I'm missing in that conversation. :confused:

bugirl06 said:
how many members of the class actually went to spring fling?

I don't think even 50% went. So you're definitely not alone. And the food stunk! Really-- is it that hard to provide vegetarian options?! :mad:

ILoveIceCream said:

Thank you and bless you!! That is really good to know. :) We need more students giving feedback on housing. :thumbup:

shutterbug said:
I decided against commuting everyday so I put down a deposit with a place 1 block away from school.

Wow. Already?! I feel so behind. Can I inquire as to where you're renting?

I hate that a lot of the places up for rent are available immediately and we'd have to begin paying rent two or more months before school even starts. Ugh!

ac101ac said:
Have you guys checked out the "LOOSE CHANGE" second edition video off of google? If not you have to.... tell me what you guys think about it. PLEASE PLEASE watch this video.

Do you have the link? I'd love to see it.

SOMA= Student Osteophatic Medical Asso. they give you a Netters with membership. Netters is an anatomy text, very useful.

that close to the school?? where??? I am thinking of living at the park at Westover hills, 9min from the school in a residential area. I have decided to avoid Hulen.

MoxieDO said:
SOMA= Student Osteophatic Medical Asso. they give you a Netters with membership. Netters is an anatomy text, very useful.

Thanks for explaining that. How much is Netters typically worth? If it's worth more than the $60 membership fee to SOMA-- where do I sign up and get my Netters?! :D

that close to the school?? where??? I am thinking of living at the park at Westover hills, 9min from the school in a residential area. I have decided to avoid Hulen.

Interesting choice. I'll have to look into the Westover place. Why did you decide to avoid Hulen?

UserNameNeeded said:
Thanks for explaining that. How much is Netters typically worth? If it's worth more than the $60 membership fee to SOMA-- where do I sign up and get my Netters?! :D

Interesting choice. I'll have to look into the Westover place. Why did you decide to avoid Hulen?

The netters is $65, but if you sign up with SOMA, you also get a t-shirt along with some other prizes! I decided against apts on Hulen because they are occupied by a lot of TCU students and I assume that they will probably be noisy because they are college students :smuggrin: Hulen also has some considerable traffic, and although I have never lived in FTW, i can imagine how it will be trying to get home or to school during rush hour...i also just dont like traffic (sorry, i've spent my life in corpus christi and waco=no traffic) The apt I am looking at is considerably cheaper and has more ft^2 for the price. I want space!! I will also assume that it is less "busy" because it is in the middle of a residential area, but at the same time near enough to the school, Hulen malls, and downtown :cool:

MoxieDO said:
Hulen also has some considerable traffic, and although I have never lived in FTW, i can imagine how it will be trying to get home or to school during rush hour...i also just dont like traffic

Hulen and Bryant-Irvin are nice areas, but the traffic is terrible.

MoxieDO said:
The netters is $65, but if you sign up with SOMA, you also get a t-shirt along with some other prizes! I decided against apts on Hulen because they are occupied by a lot of TCU students and I assume that they will probably be noisy because they are college students :smuggrin: Hulen also has some considerable traffic, and although I have never lived in FTW, i can imagine how it will be trying to get home or to school during rush hour...i also just dont like traffic (sorry, i've spent my life in corpus christi and waco=no traffic) The apt I am looking at is considerably cheaper and has more ft^2 for the price. I want space!! I will also assume that it is less "busy" because it is in the middle of a residential area, but at the same time near enough to the school, Hulen malls, and downtown :cool:

I don't know how reliable these things are...but you might want to read them before signing a lease at the the Westover Hills.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Fort-Worth-Place-At-Westover-Hills.html

Hope it helps.

ILoveIceCream said:

Where is the Monticello Crossroad? Why is it not safe? Thanks for the info. Is the area around school not safe? Thanks for the heads up.

Are these apts the ones by White Settlement rd?

Members don't see this ad :)
ac101ac said:
Where is the Monticello Crossroad? Why is it not safe? Thanks for the info. Is the area around school not safe? Thanks for the heads up.

Are these apts the ones by White Settlement rd?

The monticello crossroad is on Bailey Avenue and yes, next to white settlement road. It isn't safe because there's people loitering around during all times of the day, and, especially, at night. There were a couple of occurrences that left me a little worried.

The area around the school, however, are safe, especially the homes area. Rent there tend to be pretty good too, but the places are usually small. If you need any other info, feel free to ask!

Thanks, ac!

ILoveIceCream, where are you moving to? I want to find a nice, quiet and close place, but the ones I've looked at are just horribly stank. Too small, too dinky, too old, too ugly. I can't judge the safety situation, but so far I'm not liking most of the places I've seen close to and around the campus.

UserNameNeeded said:
Thanks, ac!

ILoveIceCream, where are you moving to? I want to find a nice, quiet and close place, but the ones I've looked at are just horribly stank. Too small, too dinky, too old, too ugly. I can't judge the safety situation, but so far I'm not liking most of the places I've seen close to and around the campus.

What are you guys looking for? There is a 2/2 on 4th (behind that house with a rod iron metal gate and security cameras off Monticello) and it's supposed to be really nice. i think it goes for 695. small pets under 35 lbs. are also accepted. the # with 24 hr pre-recorded info is 1-888-345-8896 EXT 8645. other med students live there and across the street. There is also another apt. for rent on 4th but I have no idea what it goes for. you guys can call 1-817-921-3703. I think it is a 2 bedroom and each bedroom has it's own bathroom upstairs and there is 1/2 bath downstairs. That's all i know. If you guys find out how much this one rents for let me know. I tried calling yesterday but had no luck : (

UserNameNeeded said:
Thanks, ac!

ILoveIceCream, Where are you moving too??? quick! I am coming up tomorrow (Tuesday) to sign a lease!

MoxieDO said:
ILoveIceCream, Where are you moving too??? quick! I am coming up tomorrow (Tuesday) to sign a lease!

Hey Sorry, I woke up late. I'm moving to the marquis at stonegate with a roomate. If you need any assistance feel free to email me at [email protected]. I'll try to help. Good luck!

hyperbaric said:
Hulen and Bryant-Irvin are nice areas, but the traffic is terrible.

If you live by vickery its not bad at all. Pretty much a freeway that goes from bryant irvin through hulen and right to school. 10 minute drive... just watch out for the cop that sometimes sits right at hulen.

Be sure to check out the cluster of apartments on river park drive.
They all bargained with the prices if I liked one but told them a different one on the street charged less. Email me if you want to know more about Riverstone.
later

UserNameNeeded said:
Thanks, ac!

Hey UserNameNeeded, there are lots of places that are nice. It depends on how much you are willing to spend. Are you going to have a roomate or family? That can cut down on the cost dramatically. As I mentioned earlier, I will be moving to the Marquis at Stonegate. It is a little pricey for a 1 bedroom, but a 2 bedroom with students discount is about 850. There are alot of TCU kids there, but I don't mind living near college students. Besides the noise level is minimal. The place is surrounded by stores and the such and traffic is non existent if you take Vickery rather than Camp Bowie. I am living near families right now and I am really tired of little children throwing their footballs outside. A few even managed to break my window. As for living near campus, I don't think it's that great of an idea, unless you absolutely love walking to class. Fort Worth is such a chill town that no matter where you really live (within a 5 miles radius), you will get to class on time and traffic is pretty tame compared to big cities. feel free to ask me any questions, my email address is posted earlier. I hope it helps!

Thanks for the great info!!

I just found the *perfect* place. There's this sweet old guy (I think his ad is on the housing webpage) that has places available to rent in the University Park condominiums a few blocks northeast of campus and he has this cool 1 bedroom, huge walk in closets, 1 bathroom, fully loaded kitchen, washer/dryer connection, 1 living room and it even has a staircase inside that leads to a cute little game room: perfect for a study cave! All for $650 + electric. It's totally gated and fenced in, too. Plus, it's closer than the apartments in the White Settlement/Monticello area which are nice and would have been my second choice.

Yay!!!! I found an apt!!! 761 ft^2 all for me :p whewwwww, the search is over :cool:

Hey I'm glad you guys found a place. Yes, university parks apts are good, you wont regret it. How about you Moxie, where is yours?

Hey guys don't forget online chat next Tuesday with the med school faculty, etc... form 7pm to 8:30pm.

So I've seen this on other threads and I thought I would dare ask..... anyone have any pictures to share with us? Maybe of your baby or pet or you or whatever you want to show us. I was thinking of sharing with you guys the love of my life but don't know how to upload pics on this darn thing!!!!!!! arghhhhhh anyone want to tell me how??

To post pics, you must upload them onto a server (i use photobucket) then post the link here (click the button with a mountains on it then paste the link there).

I am going to live at Park at Westover. Its $484 for 761 ft^2 and I get the bottom half of a tower ==>
spring2006020.jpg
:D

This is my fish Demetrius!
Pic061.jpg

My puppies that i cant bring with me :(
Pic058.jpg

They are soooo cute! I'm gonna try and post a something see if it works.

That's awesome; I like the castle thing.
I found out that the laptop this fall is going to cost us 2000 in tuition fee.

ILoveIceCream said:
That's awesome; I like the castle thing.
I found out that the laptop this fall is going to cost us 2000 in tuition fee.

yeah, I found that out too...I kinda wish they gave us options on computers we could get. I want something larger than a 14"in. screen...my poor eyes.

Here are my babies. The little one being the love of my life.
sandy.jpg

rufo.jpg

Howdy all,

So I see the book list is up. Some people have said to wait to buy them all till we talk to the MSII folks. Anyone else waiting a bit? Any thoughts?

Good times,

Josh

megatron03 said:
Howdy all,

So I see the book list is up. Some people have said to wait to buy them all till we talk to the MSII folks. Anyone else waiting a bit? Any thoughts?

Good times,

Josh

Thanks Josh, MSII told me during the spring fling to wait until we get our big buddies because they can sell their books to us for less and let us know which book we need to buy and which we can just borrow... I joined SOMA during spring fling, so I already got my Netters 3 rd edition. Does anyone know when and where we can get our summer reading list?

Hey Josh, I'm going to have to agree with Shutterbug. At Spring Fling they (MSI's at the panel) did tell us to wait on buying all of the books. They said some you just borrow since you'll need it once and others you must have. That said, I would buy the one we need for our summer homework.... speaking of homework........ ROME students.... did you already get your summer assignment in the mail? Remember it is due no more than 7 days after we complete our 16 hours.... (they told me it would be more like 12 hours straight each day) we'll just find out. And one more question for ROME or anyone else who understood this at the fling...... what did Dr. Dubin mean when he said that ROME students had an additional 17 hours added each semester?????

Does anyone know when deposits are due for class of 2010?

megatron03 said:
Howdy all,

Good times,

Josh
Hey Josh,

I spoke with Dr. Martin yesterday, and he told me that one of the reading assignments this summer was going to come from Robbins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Disease and it would be a good idea to familiarize myself with chapter 1. I just bought the book online today...its about $95-102 for the hardback, US version with cd and studentCONSULT website access. There are many people selling the same book in paperback with cd but no studentConsult web access for around $50-60; however, it is the International/asian edition that they promise is exactly the same as US edition. I didn't take any chances, plus the studentCONSULT website sounded pretty cool and informative to me. If you have any questions about where to look let me know.
Roni

RD330 said:
Does anyone know know when deposits are due for class of 2010?
I am not aware that we have any "early deposits", other than when we actually register, i.e. around orientation. But Tuesday 7pm-8:30pm (online Chat) would be a great time to ask this question as they would have most of the answers to many of our questions. Also, emailing or calling Misty Holt will get you back excellent answers with great response times.

megatron03 said:
Howdy all,

Good times,

Josh

One of the students on the TCOM2009 website posted some "Tips for new students" and she mentioned that if we had not taken biochem, then we should get the biochem textbook and start going through it. I haven't taken biochem...so I am thinkin of buying the textbook now, but it seems like a lot of people are saying to wait...so I dunno...

Thanks everyone. I think I might go ahead and purchase the Robbins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Disease book like you did Dr. Frog. I know we have to have a membership to MDCONSULT, I figure an included membership to the student version can't hurt either. Plus if that's where the summer reading assignment is from....

Mark, do you have a link to that "tips for new students" web page? I have not taken any biochem and I was mildly freaking out about it. An earlier post in the thread said not to worry about it--but that didn't completely calm me. Perhaps I should be reading about the adventures of Bio and Chem instead of Harry Potter.

Anyone thought about having a "non-sanctioned" get together for those in the DFW area? We could meet for dinner one evening.

Good times,

Josh

megatron03 said:
Mark, do you have a link to that "tips for new students" web page? I have not taken any biochem and I was mildly freaking out about it. An earlier post in the thread said not to worry about it--but that didn't completely calm me. Perhaps I should be reading about the adventures of Bio and Chem instead of Harry Potter.

Josh

Here is the link http://www.hsc.unt.edu/tcom2009/bboard/thread.cfm?threadid=189&messages=1
You can also go to the TCOM2009 class website and click on the message board. There you can find the message I was referring to.

I'm in for a night out...just let me know when. It would be good for many of us to get to know each other before class starts. Keep us posted.
Roni

I also spoke with a few students from last years class as well the previous class and they all said the same thing about biochemistry. If you've had it don't worry about it, but if you haven't been exposed to it then do some reading this summer. I have taken biochem but its been a few years so I am rehashing biochem 101 this summer with our new textbook. I got it new for $56.35 from ecampus books and free shipping was included. It also includes cd and more access to studentCONSULT. Since it is a new book finding used ones are difficult.

dr_frog_2010 said:
I also spoke with a few students from last years class as well the previous class and they all said the same thing about biochemistry. If you've had it don't worry about it, but if you haven't been exposed to it then do some reading this summer. I have taken biochem but its been a few years so I am rehashing biochem 101 this summer with our new textbook. I got it new for $56.35 from ecampus books and free shipping was included. It also includes cd and more access to studentCONSULT. Since it is a new book finding used ones are difficult.

biochem
If you have not had biochem then it would be helpful to do some reading this summer. Notice that I said 'helpful' (not critical) and 'do some reading' (not spend your entire summer cramming) - there is no reason to panic.

books
Cell science (aka biochem) is your first class, so I would suggest buying those books now. For all the others, wait until you talk to your big buddy as they may sell you books or loan them to you. Also, all of the required books are on reserve in the library.

summer assignments
I have no idea what your reading assignment is for the summer. But, I can tell you to do the reading and be prepared to answer some basic questions about whatever you've just read. Never have I seen any of the faculty ask an unreasonable question from a reading assignment. Again - there is no reason to panic. Just do the reading and you will be fine.

:wow: Robbins as a summer reading assignment? Wow. You guys will definitely need to buy that textbook because you'll be using it for both your first AND second years in med school.

Hey Ac,

I love your puppies! I wanted one too, but with school and everything it would be unfair for the pups. Nice looking pit by the way, they're my favorites :)

Hey ILI ! Thanks for the comment. The pit is actually my rescue dog. He doesn't know he's a pit. He thinks he's a Chihuahua and well I just let him think what he wants. I'll post a pic so that you see what I mean.

dr_frog_2010 said:
Hey Josh,

I spoke with Dr. Martin yesterday, and he told me that one of the reading assignments this summer was going to come from Robbins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Disease and it would be a good idea to familiarize myself with chapter 1. I just bought the book online today...its about $95-102 for the hardback, US version with cd and studentCONSULT website access. There are many people selling the same book in paperback with cd but no studentConsult web access for around $50-60; however, it is the International/asian edition that they promise is exactly the same as US edition. I didn't take any chances, plus the studentCONSULT website sounded pretty cool and informative to me. If you have any questions about where to look let me know.
Roni

You said Robbins book is ONE of the books for summer reading, did he mention any other book? Also, does anyone know when we will get our big buddies? Just askin'

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will go ahead and buy the Robbins book since we will be using it for 2 years.

Quick question for those already at TCOM. Is there a dress code such as no flip flops allowed or open toed shoes, spaghetti straps or shorts? The Fort Worth weather is so HOT!! Of course I know we can't go like that on shadowing or rotations but what about to school? I've heard of other schools that do not allow students to wear flip flops and they must be dressed up any time they are on campus even in the library. Any one know the TCOM dress code? Thanks !

I love icecream,
thats such a gay username :D, by the way the mavs are going to kill the spurs in game 2, wanna put some money on it!!!!,. Oh you guys don't let ILC niceness fool you, this guy is such a gunner!!!! jk. HOpe all is going well for the class of 2010.

OH on the new tablet you guys are getting, i actually have that model already, and it's a pretty nice. the only thing i recommend is to see if you can upgrade it, with the duo processors, and upgrade the video memory. I have really enjoyed my model, and plan still using it when i start med school in the fall.

dbzgohan said:
I love icecream,
thats such a gay username :D, by the way the mavs are going to kill the spurs in game 2, wanna put some money on it!!!!,. Oh you guys don't let ILC niceness fool you, this guy is such a gunner!!!! jk. HOpe all is going well for the class of 2010.
hey dbz,
I just want to follow your lead my man...not many people get into one of the top medical schools in the nation :thumbup: . When you become big, don't forget about us ;) . Without dbz, i dont think i could have passed my classes this past year in the post bac. Too bad he won't be joining us in the fall.