Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I know people...
upload_2017-3-17_16-58-54.png

edit: gif fail :(

Reactions: 1 users
Haha, oh gosh. So have they sent out majority or just a few?
To my knowledge they have sent out the majority. However, everyone will know by the end of the month.

They will likely release another batch based on who accepts and doesn't from this batch. Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted into the CDC MCHC/RISE up program at USC for the summer!! I'm so excited for this!!!

Has anyone who has accepted a WashU Amgen offer received the list of potential labs yet?

With so many people in this thread applying (and getting into) these programs, are many of you students at liberal arts colleges or other schools with limited research? I am and was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
With so many people in this thread applying (and getting into) these programs, are many of you students at liberal arts colleges or other schools with limited research? I am and was just wondering.

I go to a large public state school, that's supposed to be a "tier 1" research school, whatever that means lol

In the 3 programs I've done, I'd say half came from schools with limited research opportunities. A quarter came from HYPS and Ivy schools. Another quarter came from schools in between.

Edit: Also some programs take med students too so there's that...

In the 3 programs I've done, I'd say half came from schools with limited research opportunities. A quarter came from HYPS and Ivy schools. Another quarter came from schools in between.

Edit: Also some programs take med students too so there's that...
Any NESCAC representation in those programs? I go to a NESCAC so there's nowhere near as much research as a R1 or anything, but we also don't have grad students and we have a summer research program, so tbh I'm not sure that adcoms at these programs will think it's really limited.

I attend a Historically Black University, which has many research opportunities but not a plethora as found at many other universities.

Any NESCAC representation in those programs? I go to a NESCAC so there's nowhere near as much research as a R1 or anything, but we also don't have grad students and we have a summer research program, so tbh I'm not sure that adcoms at these programs will think it's really limited.
Hmm... If I recall correctly maybe two from Amherst? It shouldn't affect you too much to be honest so I wouldn't sweat it.

I go to UT Austin School of Nursing I don't think school matters as much tbh.

Has anyone heard anything from Georgetown?

Has anyone applied to UTMB NSURP in the past? The app deadline was March 1 so I'm guessing we won't hear back until April..?

Has anyone applied to UTMB NSURP in the past? The app deadline was March 1 so I'm guessing we won't hear back until April..?

When I applied (in 2015) I heard back on 3/13. However, the deadline was not that late.

Has anyone heard back from NYU, Harvard, and Columbia SR-EIP? I haven't received any notification from them yet..

Columbia emailed me:

"Thank you for writing the Office of Academic Diversity. We are currently in the process of reviewing all applications to the Summer Research Program. Hopefully, I will be able to notify you of your application status by Friday, March 10."

That's strange. I applied for Columbia SR EIP website. It's March 20 and and I haven't received any official notification from them yet. Nor is the decision posted on the website.

Mayo SURF has decisions available through the application portal now.

That's strange. I applied for Columbia SR EIP website. It's March 20 and and I haven't received any official notification from them yet. Nor is the decision posted on the website.

Harvard and Columbia SR EIP have already finalized their cohorts. I believe they do silent rejections but you can email them and ask. They will just send you a rejection email.

Has anyone heard back from Brandeis REU (Cell&Molecular)? Haven't heard from them and they said they'd email results within the first couple weeks of March...

Hi everyone, first time posting, but plenty of time lurking. I'm a sophomore Psychology student, 3.81 GPA with solid LOR and what I hope was a good essay, with practically no research experience and I applied to 3 institutions (my principal interest is in U of Chicago) by SREIP. I have no idea how they go about choosing students and they were supposed to begin to respond March 15. Still nothing yet. I don't know if I should just give up on any hope of placement :-/

Hi everyone, first time posting, but plenty of time lurking. I'm a sophomore Psychology student, 3.81 GPA with solid LOR and what I hope was a good essay, with practically no research experience and I applied to 3 institutions (my principal interest is in U of Chicago) by SREIP. I have no idea how they go about choosing students and they were supposed to begin to respond March 15. Still nothing yet. I don't know if I should just give up on any hope of placement :-/

I've got two friends who've gotten in there this year and they all had extensive research experience but we're not in psychology so never lose hope but I personally don't have a high regard for the leadership alliance notification system. But good luck

Harvard and Columbia SR EIP have already finalized their cohorts. I believe they do silent rejections but you can email them and ask. They will just send you a rejection email.

Did they tell you that? I've emailed them but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Is this for biological sciences, social sciences, or both?

Duke SROP update-
"As of yesterday, I received the first round of Duke SROP 2017 acceptances from the faculty. While your name was not on that initial list, I have been given instructions not to send out any denials until we have a complete class. There is a possibility that other names may be included. I hope to complete the process by April 7, 2017."

Princeton Neuroscience update-
"Our final decisions probably won’t go out until next week sometime. Sorry for the delay."

Has anyone heard back from Uconn Physiology and Neurobiology REU?

In case anyone else applied to the Wadsworth Center REU, I emailed them and got this response:

"We’re a little delayed thanks to last week’s snow - the governor closed the state on the day the committee was supposed to meet to review applications. I hope to send out notices later this week. At this point in time, we’re still awaiting a decision from NSF as to whether or not they will fund our program for the next three years."

Anyone hear from NYU SURP, Vanderbilt UCRIP, or UPenn USSP? Anxiously waiting and need to confirm on other summer plans....

Columbia SPHSP decisions are out!! I got in!!! I don't know which to choose USC MCHC or Columbia. Help me y'all

Has anyone heard back from Columbia SR-EIP? I emailed them but I received no response.

Any offers yet from Boston SURF? This is the one program I want to prioritize out of many other programs I applied to. I need to plan my summer accordingly, since I was given an opportunity to do a mission trip this summer...but still waiting...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Columbia SPHSP decisions are out!! I got in!!! I don't know which to choose USC MCHC or Columbia. Help me y'all

Congrats again! :) I think it depends on where you want to be more and what you want out of the program. Both programs are great for sure, however of all the CUPS programs, the Columbia one was the most desirable. Probably because it is in New York and the Columbia name. But all of these programs are through the CDC so the "name factor" is still there. I would look closely at the sites of both programs and pick the one which resonates with you better from a personal development standpoint!

Congrats again! :) I think it depends on where you want to be more and what you want out of the program. Both programs are great for sure, however of all the CUPS programs, the Columbia one was the most desirable. Probably because it is in New York and the Columbia name. But all of these programs are through the CDC so the "name factor" is still there. I would look closely at the sites of both programs and pick the one which resonates with you better from a personal development standpoint!
Thank you that was amazing advice!! Good luck to everyone we are going to change the world!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Any offers yet from Boston SURF? This is the one program I want to prioritize out of many other programs I applied to. I need to plan my summer accordingly, since I was given an opportunity to do a mission trip this summer...but still waiting...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did it this pass summer definitely wait on thm great program give the director an email he's a cool dude !