Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected by Cincinnati Children's this morning

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard from Baylor or McGovern, so I assume they do silent rejections :( The website for Baylor SMART says they accept applicants beginning mid to late February.

Last edited:
Anyone been sent the list of mentors for uwash amgen?
I still haven't. I assume they are still waiting for responses from accepted people, or maybe just waiting until late April/early may in case anyone backs out for another offer they receive?

Anyone heard from Stanford Amgen yet? They are supposed to release decisions by the end of today.

I still haven't. I assume they are still waiting for responses from accepted people, or maybe just waiting until late April/early may in case anyone backs out for another offer they receive?
Okay that's good to hear. I hope so. I'm still paranoid they accidentally sent me an acceptance lol. Also, I know a girl from my school who got the stanford amgen acceptance already.

Anyone applied to Amgen EU and heard from them yet?

So I have a dilemma. I received a notification on Wednesday that I'm in consideration for a late spot at a a great program and they said I would know by Thursday if I was accepted or not. Then Thursday came and they said I would know FOR SURE by Friday. Friday passed and I didn't receive a call or email at all. I don't want to be annoying but I feel like I should say something. Any advice? My thoughts were to wait until Monday afternoon but I would hate for an opportunity to be passed up because I didn't at least ask. I may be overthinking this but this is honestly my dream school/program and I'm stressing out here.

Reactions: 1 user
I still haven't heard from CSHL_URP (neither offer nor rejection). Do they send a rejection email? They should have all emails of notification sent by the end of March. Anyone knows what's going on?

So I have a dilemma. I received a notification on Wednesday that I'm in consideration for a late spot at a a great program and they said I would know by Thursday if I was accepted or not. Then Thursday came and they said I would know FOR SURE by Friday. Friday passed and I didn't receive a call or email at all. I don't want to be annoying but I feel like I should say something. Any advice? My thoughts were to wait until Monday afternoon but I would hate for an opportunity to be passed up because I didn't at least ask. I may be overthinking this but this is honestly my dream school/program and I'm stressing out here.

Just call them and ask for an update because they are your top choice!

I still haven't heard from CSHL_URP (neither offer nor rejection). Do they send a rejection email? They should have all emails of notification sent by the end of March. Anyone knows what's going on?
They sent my rejection last week

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it safe to solicit the decisions from Harvard and NYU Leadership Alliance /SR EIP now? I have to arrange flights for this summer if I don't get into any of those programs.

Has anyone been accepted to cornell LA or heard back from UCI Surf?

Has anyone received an acceptance email from DeBakey summer internship?

Rejected by Stanford last night. It's official- going to WashU Amgen! So excited to finally know what I will for sure be doing this summer!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my faculty mentor assignment at UCLA Amgen! UCSD Stars rejected me though.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! Just wanted to say to those with rejections to not take it too personally. These things are crazy competitive and a lot of applicants look almost identical on paper so there can be a lot of randomness. I encourage people to keep trying and to always have a backup plan in case none of the programs pan out! (That's why it's also a good idea to apply very broadly)

To those going to the NIH: Have fun! My summer at the NIH was the best research experience I've had in 4 years of undergraduate research and the Laboratory I was in was the most exciting intellectual community I've ever been a part of.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Accepted Weill Travelers!
Hey, I was waitlisted for the Weill Cornell's travelers program and they didn't specify a deadline they'd reply back. Was there a deadline to accept your acceptance into the program? It'd be awesome to know so that I can have a date in mind that they could respond back.

Long Time lurker on here! I was accepted to an NIH SIP at the NIA in Baltimore, MD. Johns Hopkins Bayview!

Congrats! Do you know where you'll be staying?
Thanks! and yeah, my undergrad is pretty close and I have relatives in the area so I'll be staying with them for the duration of the program.

Super late, but finally got a solid acceptance! Received a neuroscience fellowship to study at the Virginia Tech Carillon Research/Med School!

Reactions: 2 users
Super late, but finally got a solid acceptance! Received a neuroscience fellowship to study at the Virginia Tech Carillon Research/Med School!
Congrats! I was rooting for you.

Rejected at NIH, Harvard, and MIT AMGENs as a sophomore this year. Accepted into the NIH SIP program and the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute (VTCRI) NeuroSURF program. I will be attending the VTCRI neuroSURF program this summer and am excited that I got an acceptance somewhere!
@jpvn2015 , did you ever find out which lab youll be in?

Haven't heard a thing.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Scripps acceptances were supposed to be out by early March but then they delayed it to late March, and now none of us have heard anything... Either all of us are rejected or they still haven't released results yet :/

Reactions: 2 users
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Scripps acceptances were supposed to be out by early March but then they delayed it to late March, and now none of us have heard anything... Either all of us are rejected or they still haven't released results yet :/
I am hoping it means they haven't released decisions yet and will soon. I contacted them to ask for an update on when acceptances would be sent out but have not received a reply. I am expecting to hear any day now! I have already committed elsewhere, but at this point, I just want to know for closure. I am still waiting on 4 programs to either accept/waitlist/or reject me.

I applied to Louisiana State University Health Science Center's Microbiology REU (App Due: March 31) , Florida A & M University's Genetics REU (App Due: March 21), and Western Washington University's Chemistry REU (App Due: April 1) respectively. I have yet to hear back from any of them. Am I being paranoid...or what? I would have thought to hear back within two weeks or so. My first REU, I was given an answer within 4 days of submitting my application. Should I be worried?

Late to the party, but I was accepted into the WashU Amgen!

I applied to Louisiana State University Health Science Center's Microbiology REU (App Due: March 31) , Florida A & M University's Genetics REU (App Due: March 21), and Western Washington University's Chemistry REU (App Due: April 1) respectively. I have yet to hear back from any of them. Am I being paranoid...or what? I would have thought to hear back within two weeks or so. My first REU, I was given an answer within 4 days of submitting my application. Should I be worried?[/QUOTE

There's always next year!

Yea, I think I may have gotten a silent rejection from some of them or something. I have not heard a peep from any of them.

Rejection letter form Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center sent today.

Hey everyone, I know some of you were talking about Scripps SURF. Did any of you guys hear back from Scripps, any updates? Does Scripps give silent rejections? It is very late at this semester, I really need to plan something else. (Current gpa 3.9+, and rejected by all the summer programs)

Hi everyone, this might be the wrong place to post something like this, but I'm gearing up for my sophomore year and would like to apply for a summer research program for the summer before my junior year. Do you guys have any tips? What do they look for in these summer research programs other than GPA? Also in general when do applications come out/are due for these programs?