Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garfield007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I think it is a good idea to get this thread started for the summer research this year. Is there anyone apply for undergraduate research this summer?
Good luck! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm not sure whether doing research at my home institution is better than doing a summer program. i've already spent this past summer doing research in the lab at my school and it was pretty productive but idk what to do for this summer. any advice?

i'm not sure whether doing research at my home institution is better than doing a summer program. i've already spent this past summer doing research in the lab at my school and it was pretty productive but idk what to do for this summer. any advice?
I think, If you already have research experience, you may have a better chance to get into some competitive research program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are applying again for the same program, is it frown upon for one of the essay (diversity essay) to use a highly similar or same essay from last application cycle.

Yeah. I'm applying again to one of the same programs and i think one of my essays is good. Not sure if i should write something new.

I'd suggest changing the essay a bit. If you got in during the last cycle, you should change it because the adcom will probably expect you to add things. If you didn't get it, then your essay might have not been strong enough. Lol

If anyone has questions about the process , I think I'll be able to help a bit. I got a couple offers from very respected programs as an undergrad and am currently getting a PhD, so I'd like to be as helpful as possible to current applicants :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'd suggest changing the essay a bit. If you got in during the last cycle, you should change it because the adcom will probably expect you to add things. If you didn't get it, then your essay might have not been strong enough. Lol
It was one of the diversity essays required by most CA school, not the primary personal statement. It did get me into another top program at CA... yeah regardless, it seems like a good idea to make some changes.

I'm applying for a summer research program here in my state. It's a SURF program. I don't have any previous research experience, but I'm trying to start. Will this affect my chances? I have more than enough clinical shadowing hours, just no research experience.

hey guys!
lurked on here last year before i got in to 2 programs: 1) columbia amgen and 2) csne reu (at MIT)
accepted the MIT offer
can provide advice!

im a junior so i'll also be applying for things this summer

I'm applying for a summer research program here in my state. It's a SURF program. I don't have any previous research experience, but I'm trying to start. Will this affect my chances? I have more than enough clinical shadowing hours, just no research experience.
previous research experience is usually a big admissions requirement, unless you come from a school that doens't have many opportunities.

If anyone has questions about the process , I think I'll be able to help a bit. I got a couple offers from very respected programs as an undergrad and am currently getting a PhD, so I'd like to be as helpful as possible to current applicants :)
ooh what school you at?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys!
lurked on here last year before i got in to 2 programs: 1) columbia amgen and 2) csne reu (at MIT)
accepted the MIT offer
can provide advice!

im a junior so i'll also be applying for things this summer

stats? Prior experience?

stats? Prior experience?

Most people that get into these programs have extensive, or at least some form, of research experience. I did Harvard's SHURP program in 2015 and had 6 semesters of research prior to that. Most people also had at least 2 years.

stats? Prior experience?
I was/am in a lab since spring of my freshman year. had 2 semesters experience before applying. i really think i got in because my personal statement was very targeted towards the faculty i wanted to work with and topic i wanted to work in (computational neuro)

4.0 unweighted

Most people that get into these programs have extensive, or at least some form, of research experience. I did Harvard's SHURP program in 2015 and had 6 semesters of research prior to that. Most people also had at least 2 years.

I was/am in a lab since spring of my freshman year. had 2 semesters experience before applying. i really think i got in because my personal statement was very targeted towards the faculty i wanted to work with and topic i wanted to work in (computational neuro)

4.0 unweighted

Thats the thing.

I have about 2 years of experience (4 semesters + 2 summers) as well as "close" (for whatever that means) to a 2nd author publication

I have a 3.5 GPA.

What do you think are my chances?

otherwise I have great letters. great ECs. etc.

Thats the thing.

I have about 2 years of experience (4 semesters + 2 summers) as well as "close" (for whatever that means) to a 2nd author publication

I have a 3.5 GPA.

What do you think are my chances?

otherwise I have great letters. great ECs. etc.

go for it! i think you have a great chance, but remember so do a lot of other ppl. i think GPA matters less than you think it does. make sure you really tailor your letter to the program goals/faculty you want to work with. maybe even contact the faculty beforehand (i did that). what programs you thinking of?

go for it! i think you have a great chance, but remember so do a lot of other ppl. i think GPA matters less than you think it does. make sure you really tailor your letter to the program goals/faculty you want to work with. maybe even contact the faculty beforehand (i did that). what programs you thinking of?

Im in NC. Really looking into Carolinas medical center, UNC, and wake forest. I am also applying to med school this upcoming summer. I will probably apply broadly though because I need the money.

I already work as a scribe at one of these institutions so I would like to leverage that somehow.

I mostly want to do these programs because I have a plethora of bench research. But learning about how clinical research is done is important to me.

I am gonna re-apply to the same program I fail to get in last year. I have edited my essay, also I am in 2 research groups at present. GPA 4.0 ... I don't want to apply to so many programs then I get nothing at the end :(

I am gonna re-apply to the same program I fail to get in last year. I have edited my essay, also I am in 2 research groups at present. GPA 4.0 ... I don't want to apply to so many programs then I get nothing at the end :(
You are only applying to one program?

Applying to:
Janelia Scholars Program
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Program
UCLA Amgen
UC Berkeley Amgen
Caltech Amgen
Stanford Amgen
MIT Amgen
Mayo Clinic SURF

Stats: 3.99 GPA, 8 pubs (one of which is published in Nature Neuroscience), currently nominated for the Goldwater Scholarship, several poster sessions with two awards, 3 past research scholarships, and meaningful experience with basic science, epidemiological, and clinical research. Also 2 extremely strong LORs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Applying to:
Janelia Scholars Program
UCLA Amgen
UC Berkeley Amgen
Caltech Amgen
Stanford Amgen
MIT Amgen

Stats: 3.99 GPA, 8 pubs (one of which is published in Nature Neuroscience), currently nominated for the Goldwater Scholarship, several poster sessions with two awards, 3 past research scholarships, and meaningful experience with basic science, epidemiological, and clinical research. Also 2 extremely strong LORs.

what year are you in undergrad. im not even sure how it works that an undergrad can have 8 pubs while staying within Amgen guidelines. Unless maybe they are clinical research papers.

what year are you in undergrad. im not even sure how it works that an undergrad can have 8 pubs while staying within Amgen guidelines. Unless maybe they are clinical research papers.
3rd year. 7 are clinical but in high impact journals. I basically pick up a lot of work from resident physicians who need help with clinical projects.

Applying to:
Janelia Scholars Program
UCLA Amgen
UC Berkeley Amgen
Caltech Amgen
Stanford Amgen
MIT Amgen

LMAO who the hell are you? get out haha. thats incredible! i'm sure you'll go far :)
what position author were you on these?? surely not first for all haha.
But yeah you sound good! were you somewhere last summer?

I know that MIT/Stanford AMGEN usually focuses more on URMs tho

How do these programs decide who to admit? With acceptance rates as low as 3% it almost seems like a crapshoot...

Hi guys, I am currently a Sophomore Bio major, asian, have a GPA of 3.9. But sadly I just started working in a lab from last October and I have been learning basics and haven't been very productive in the lab. So I only have a little research experience and I don't think my PI would be able to give me a strong LOR at this point. Actually my goal is MD program not PHD but I did hear from a medical school administrator that most of the entering class students have had Research Fellowships. I am wondering if SURF can really make a difference to my med school application.
If I am going to apply for one now, what are the chances for me to be accepted? Another thing is I know FOR LOR writers usually people would choose their PI in the lab and the teacher of a science class. But since my PI has only known me for 3 months, I think i can only submit two letters from my science class instructors. Is that going to be an issue?

Thank you guys, I hope the applications are going well.

cGPA 3.86
sGPA 3.80
Currently a sophomore
No research experience, but I am a supplemental instruction leader and TA for chemistry along with a few other EC's
I believe my letters of rec are pretty solid

I applied to:
TGen
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
University of Texas, Southwestern
University of Michigan

Thoughts on my chances?

Hi guys, I am currently a Sophomore Bio major, asian, have a GPA of 3.9. But sadly I just started working in a lab from last October and I have been learning basics and haven't been very productive in the lab. So I only have a little research experience and I don't think my PI would be able to give me a strong LOR at this point. Actually my goal is MD program not PHD but I did hear from a medical school administrator that most of the entering class students have had Research Fellowships. I am wondering if SURF can really make a difference to my med school application.
If I am going to apply for one now, what are the chances for me to be accepted? Another thing is I know FOR LOR writers usually people would choose their PI in the lab and the teacher of a science class. But since my PI has only known me for 3 months, I think i can only submit two letters from my science class instructors. Is that going to be an issue?

Thank you guys, I hope the applications are going well.
Seems like we are in similar places! I think that having letter of recs from two science professors looks great! Most programs require one professor and one from a professor or other such as a supervisor, mentor, employer, etc. Having two professors willing to write you a letter of rec is not a bad thing at all! Even if it isn't from the one you are doing research with.

Seems like we are in similar places! I think that having letter of recs from two science professors looks great! Most programs require one professor and one from a professor or other such as a supervisor, mentor, employer, etc. Having two professors willing to write you a letter of rec is not a bad thing at all! Even if it isn't from the one you are doing research with.
I know but most schools require letters that can show the applicant has potential to do well in research. I don't know how the LORs from professors can do that. Also I heard lots of people say research experience is required to apply for those programs so I am really confused.

I know but most schools require letters that can show the applicant has potential to do well in research. I don't know how the LORs from professors can do that. Also I heard lots of people say research experience is required to apply for those programs so I am really confused.

You are correct, ideally you want two professors you conducted research well to write you a rec letter, after all, you are applying to a RESEARCH internship. These programs typically have very low acceptance rates and competition is intense. It is uncommon to see people without research experience to land a spot, unless these programs are meant to give people from schools without a lot of resources the opportunity to conduct research. Also, the thing about having no experience is that your personal statement, which is supposed to be an essay where you explain your background and preparation to be successful in the program, will be all over the place. Another thing to note is that a lot of these programs are NOT meant for people that want to do a medical degree alone, so make sure you check on the program requirements--they are mainly targeted for students wanting a PhD or combined degrees. Also, make sure you're not only applying because it'll make a difference in your med school apps, the adcom can usually see this very easily.

PS: Non-research related ECs won't really help you land a research fellowship.

You are correct, ideally you want two professors you conducted research well to write you a rec letter, after all, you are applying to a RESEARCH internship. These programs typically have very low acceptance rates and competition is intense. It is uncommon to see people without research experience to land a spot, unless these programs are meant to give people from schools without a lot of resources the opportunity to conduct research. Also, the thing about having no experience is that your personal statement, which is supposed to be an essay where you explain your background and preparation to be successful in the program, will be all over the place. Another thing to note is that a lot of these programs are NOT meant for people that want to do a medical degree alone, so make sure you check on the program requirements--they are mainly targeted for students wanting a PhD or combined degrees. Also, make sure you're not only applying because it'll make a difference in your med school apps, the adcom can usually see this very easily.

I agree with all of this.

How about clinical experience for a clinical research internship?

Anyone happen to know of the less competitive summer research programs? I feel like I applied to more difficult programs to get into, and maybe wanted to add one or two more research programs.

I would believe the same concept applies.

Sorry I think I was unclear. Your last statement said "Non-research related ECs won't really help you land a research fellowship."

I was wondering if you felt clinical experience was unimportant for clinical research REU. Or even in those cases it mostly comes down to research experience.

Sorry I think I was unclear. Your last statement said "Non-research related ECs won't really help you land a research fellowship."

I was wondering if you felt clinical experience was unimportant for clinical research REU. Or even in those cases it mostly comes down to research experience.

Oh, in that case, I'm not really sure. Clinical research is rather different than wet lab research, so having experience with patients might help you.

Currently a freshman, so I may be screwed regardless.

3.95, although Columbia counts A+ so at a 4.1.

Have three publications, all from high school (RIP college freshman). One is a basic science one that I first authored in a so so journal. The other is a Nature Medicine one that I contributed to in a leukemia lab at Sloan-Kettering. I've been with this lab for around four years (almost all of high school) and still am with them.

My dream program is the one by Sloan-Kettering (GSK) but I know the probability numbers are just disgusting especially as a freshman. The one thing going for me is that the PI I worked with for the past four years is on the admissions committee and is writing one of the recs. Other than that rip.

Also just threw in a few other programs with minimal expectations:
JHU SIP
Harvard Stem Cell
Yale Sackler
Leadership Alliance
MD Anderson
NIH SIP

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Overall GPA: 3.6 (I've only taken 1 non-stem class so my science is about the same)

Junior Microbial Biology and Physiology Metabolism Double Major at UC Berkeley
3 Semesters of research at Berkeley in Plants and one semester in a Cancer Lab at UCSF, I have two good LoR from my post-doc mentors and a fairly extensive background in a lot of assays and techniques but no publications and no real extra curriculars besides philanthropy for my social sorority (should I even mention this on my app? I feel like some labs have looked down upon sorority/frat members working in their lab...) and some experience working/volunteering at a non-profit ( I also work two jobs but mostly just to pay the bills).

Do I have any chance of getting anything? I was looking at Amgen UCSF, Darmouth's MPUS, a few REUs among other things–– but looking here I feel really discouraged. Any words of encouragement or similar stats that got accepted to summer programs?

Anyone happen to know of the less competitive summer research programs? I feel like I applied to more difficult programs to get into, and maybe wanted to add one or two more research programs.
UMass Med - I got in as a rising sophomore with 1 year of organic synthesis research.

Currently a freshman, so I may be screwed regardless.

3.95, although Columbia counts A+ so at a 4.1.

Have three publications, all from high school (RIP college freshman). One is a basic science one that I first authored in a so so journal. The other is a Nature Medicine one that I contributed to in a leukemia lab at Sloan-Kettering. I've been with this lab for around four years (almost all of high school) and still am with them.

My dream program is the one by Sloan-Kettering (GSK) but I know the probability numbers are just disgusting especially as a freshman. The one thing going for me is that the PI I worked with for the past four years is on the admissions committee and is writing one of the recs. Other than that rip.

Also just threw in a few other programs with minimal expectations:
JHU SIP
Harvard Stem Cell
Yale Sackler
Leadership Alliance
MD Anderson
NIH SIP

You are a competitive applicant for GSK because most people never had research in high school. I got into that program last year as a non-URM rising junior with 1 year of organic synthesis research, summer research in immunology, and 1 year in biochemistry research, no publications, and a 3.95 GPA. Also got into MD Anderson last year as well.

Ah that is good to hear. Just hoping that the preference for older college students won't hurt me.too much. Although I do hear GSK cares less about race and age, etc. and go for just the best research students. How was your experience (which one did you go to)?

Ah that is good to hear. Just hoping that the preference for older college students won't hurt me.too much. Although I do hear GSK cares less about race and age, etc. and go for just the best research students. How was your experience (which one did you go to)?

I ended up going to Germany with DAAD RISE. Getting paid to do international research was the dream so that's what I ended up choosing. I'm actually reapplying to GSK and MD Anderson again this year so perhaps we'll see each other! Hopefully they don't reject me for rejecting them last year.. :/

Lol if I do get in, the first thing I'm doing at orientation is shouting "sciencenerd14 show yourself!" Either I meet you or I get thrown right back out due to mental instability.

What else do these programs look for other than extensive research experience?

Posting this so you don't have to go filter through 40 pages of the last thread. I think this was the most updated list from last year so you can know when to expect acceptances and rejections.

UPDATED
Acceptances Sent:

Baylor SMART - sciencenerd14 (3/4)
Boston STaRS - soccerkid55 (1/26)
Case Western Reserve SURP - sciencenerd14 (3/2)
Columbia AMGEN - looshylay (2/19)
Columbia SPURS - Beyonce2.0 (3/4)
DAAD RISE - sciencenerd14 (3/3)
Dartmouth MPUS- dianathehuntress (2/28)
Einstein SURP - toinfinityand... (3/15)
Gerstner Sloan-Kettering SURP - sciencenerd14 (3/4)
Harvard-MIT HST Summer Institute - (2/29)
Hunter SPUR - toinfinityand... (3/22)
IU USRP- kwebster0814 (3/2)
Mayo SURF - Unbelievable! (2/15), Life of Pablo (2/19), kwebster0814 (2/20)
MCHC-Rise-UP - Chromium Surfer (3/18)
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE - sciencenerd14 (2/22)
Mt. Sinai - sciencenerd14 (2/12)
MUSC SURP- kwebster0814 (3/9)
NIH AMGEN - idontwatchgreysanatomy (2/29)
NIH CRI - Lucca (2/24)
Notre Dame Biology REU - Leecy77 (2/15)
Ohio State University SROP - 135pipe (2/6)
Ohio State University SUCCESS - Beyonce2.0 (2/28), dianathehuntress (2/28)
Rutgers RiSE REU - SnakeOilForSale (2/12)
UCSF SRTP - SarcoplasmicReticulumCa (2/29)
University of Iowa SROP - 135pipe (2/6)
University of Michigan SMART - Beyonce2.0 (2/15)
University of Minnesota SROP- dianathehuntress (2/24)
University of Nebraska Medical Center SURP - LeenoRocks (2/19)
University of Oregon SPUR - toinfinityand... (2/29)
University of Pennsylvania SUIP - Beyonce2.0 (2/8)
Vanderbilt VSSA Molecular and Cell Biology - sciencenerd14 (2/16)
WashU AMGEN - futureprof2 (3/1)
WashU IPH - Gellie_Beans26 (2/19)
WashU Siteman Cancer Research - SonhosdaVida (3/?)

Rejections Sent:
Boston STaRS - idontwatchgreysanatomy (2/29)
Case Western Reserve Pharmacology SURP - idontwatchgreysanatomy (3/21)
Columbia SR-EIP - 135pipe (2/15)
Cornell SR-EIP - 135pipe (2/15)
Dartmouth MPUSF - toinfinityand... (3/3), Beyonce2.0 (3/4)
EPFL - Star_7 (2/22)
Fred Hutch SURP - aristrutz523 (2/19)
Gerstner Sloan-Kettering SURP- kwebster0814 (3/4)
Harvard HSKP- aristrutz523 (2/25), idontwatchgreysanatomy (2/25)
Howard SR-EIP - 135pipe (2/15)
Janelia Undergrad Scholars - Lucca (2/19)
John Hopkins SIP - Chromium Surfer ( 3/1), star_7(3/1)
MIT- AMGEN - sciencenerd14 (2/29), star_7 (2/29), kwebster0814 (2/29)
Mount Sinai International Exchange Program - Beyonce2.0 (3/4)
Mt. Sinai SURP - futureprof2 (3/18)
NIH-AMGEN - star_7 (2/29)
Northwestern SROP - idontwatchgreysanatomy (3/11)
OHSU ONPRC - idontwatchgreysanatomy (3/9)
Stanford Amgen - SarcoplasmicReticulum (3/2), star_7(3/2)
UCB-AMGEN - c324b21 (2/29)
University of Iowa SUMR - Wroke(2/25)
UM CaRSIP - aristrutz523 (2/24)
UT-Southwestern - aristrutz523 (2/29), Wroke (2/25)
Aristrutz523 Institute for Misc. Research and Fun Summer Activities - Atomnicbomb (3/2)

Reactions: 2 users
Some schools send out the rejections but then place you in the wait-list for several days before they send out the official rejections

Last edited:
Lol if I do get in, the first thing I'm doing at orientation is shouting "sciencenerd14 show yourself!" Either I meet you or I get thrown right back out due to mental instability.

What else do these programs look for other than extensive research experience?

GPA and personal statement I think