Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't heard back from my top choice program (or my second choice...) so I accepted the offer that I got, once their deadline was reached. I don't think I want to go to grad school there (more of a location/size thing than the field) but I think that any lab experience is better than no lab experience. Who knows, maybe I will love a new type of research? Worse case scenario, I gain more bench experience and learn a style of lab/research to avoid in the future.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts though. In some cases, if you have a lab at your home university where you're already established, I can imagine choosing that over an unknown might be tricky.

Yeah that was my exact situation (I've accepted now after several people told me that I'm being stupid by not accepting...). I work in a lab that's a similar field to what I want to pursue in grad school, so I was unsure whether it was a good idea to branch out or stick around. Both are at my home institution. I think it will be a good experience though; I figure I can always work in this lab but for people like me without super impressive stats, it's kinda hard to be accepted to programs like this hahah.

Congratz on your acceptance though! I think you made the right choice and will still learn a lot regardless of the institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat. I haven't heard back from my top choice program (or my second choice...) so I accepted the offer that I got, once their deadline was reached. I don't think I want to go to grad school there (more of a location/size thing than the field) but I think that any lab experience is better than no lab experience. Who knows, maybe I will love a new type of research? Worse case scenario, I gain more bench experience and learn a style of lab/research to avoid in the future.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts though. In some cases, if you have a lab at your home university where you're already established, I can imagine choosing that over an unknown might be tricky.

Honestly a new branch of research allows you to think and approach things from an alternative view point which could push your own research further or help you to find a new field. And as always a new environment and a diverse letter of Rec from an additional PI never hurts

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview for the MCHC/RISEUP Program at Kennedy Krieger Institute/Johns Hopkins University!
The interview was very informal and they were nice hopefully we get picked

Members don't see this ad :)
It's starting to sink in that I might not be accepted to any of the programs I applied to:

Rejected: MIT Amgen, Columbia Amgen, UCSF Amgen, Harvard Amgen, JHU SIP, MSKCC, Duke SURPH

All offers given out: Mayo Clinic

Not heard back yet: DAAD RISE, Mt. Sinai

Given Mt. Sinai's acceptance rate, I doubt I have a decent shot. My GPA isn't a 4, so DAAD RISE is basically out of the question as well. I could just do research this summer at the lab I work in during the semester, but it wouldn't be paid and I really wanted to get away from my campus this summer. Are there any REUs left that are still accepting applications?

It's starting to sink in that I might not be accepted to any of the programs I applied to:

Rejected: MIT Amgen, Columbia Amgen, UCSF Amgen, Harvard Amgen, JHU SIP, MSKCC, Duke SURPH

Given Mt. Sinai's acceptance rate, I doubt I have a decent shot. My GPA isn't a 4, so DAAD RISE is basically out of the question as well. I could just do research this summer at the lab I work in during the semester, but it wouldn't be paid and I really wanted to get away from my campus this summer. Are there any REUs left that are still accepting applications?

What year are you and which mt Sinai program

Hi, may I ask when you heard back from JHU SIP? I am on the waitlist and they said the first wave of offers would have to respond before 10th March through their wl notice email. But by now I haven't received anything after that email. Does it mean I have been rejected silently TAT?

Here's a couple, not major programs because of late deadlines but u would need to crank out letters of rec super quick

Research Immersion: Pathways to STEM (RiPS) -Kansas Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
3/17
Center for Neural Science REU NYU3/15

CVM SURE: Summer Undergraduate Research Experience
3/15

SUPER: Summer-Undergraduate-Physician-scientist-training Education & Research program MSU
3/31
Summer Research Opportunity for Undergraduates (REU) in Nanotechnology for Health, Energy and the Environment SUNY STONT BROOK
3/18

What year are you and which mt Sinai program

I applied to the SURP program.

I'm a second year, but I'm graduating in three years so this is my last summer to apply. I actually wasn't aware how much of a disadvantage being a sophomore was in this process until I had already submitted some of my applications, so some of them have me listed as a sophomore. I realize that I should have applied as a junior to all of them, but it's a bit late for that now. I listed Junior for the Mt. Sinai program.

Hi, may I ask when you heard back from JHU SIP? I am on the waitlist and they said the first wave of offers would have to respond before 10th March through their wl notice email. But by now I haven't received anything after that email. Does it mean I have been rejected silently TAT?

I was rejected on March 2nd.

Here's a couple, not major programs because of late deadlines but u would need to crank out letters of rec super quick

Research Immersion: Pathways to STEM (RiPS) -Kansas Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
3/17
Center for Neural Science REU NYU3/15

CVM SURE: Summer Undergraduate Research Experience
3/15

SUPER: Summer-Undergraduate-Physician-scientist-training Education & Research program MSU
3/31
Summer Research Opportunity for Undergraduates (REU) in Nanotechnology for Health, Energy and the Environment SUNY STONT BROOK
3/18

Thanks so much for this!

Based on prior years, does anyone have any idea on when people come off the Wash U waitlist or how many people realistically have a chance to get off the waitlist?

Has any one heard back from Cornell LA or UC Irvine SURF?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any word on the Princeton Neuroscience Program?

@Killer Tomato , @numbersloth
Finally some other people who applied there! I couldnt find anyone else who applied!
I emailed/called Ed Clayton so he probably is irritated by me, but finally replied and said they hope to have decisions out this week.

Has anyone else not received anything from WashU Biomedrap? I didn't get any e-mail from them on March 13th :/

Congrats!! I did the program last year and it was a great experience :)
That's awesome! I would love to hear more about your experience. I just had my interviews this morning. Do you have any idea how likely I am to get into the program since I was offered interviews?

For anyone else who applied to Stanfords SSRP, I just emailed them to ask about a notification timeline, so hopefully some answers are coming soon.

That's awesome! I would love to hear more about your experience. I just had my interviews this morning. Do you have any idea how likely I am to get into the program since I was offered interviews?

The RISE UP site you go to depends on where you live. So people on the east coast go to Hopkins, Midwest are in South Dakota, and west coast is in Cali.

Each site has about 10-20 scholars and I'm I think sure how many apps they get.

Someone on another thread said that they called and the number was at 500, but I can't verify that.

Basically interviews don't guarantee a spot unfortunately:/

Anyone hear back from NYU Sackler today? Besides that one guy...

Has anyone heard back from:
Indiana University Bloomington REU in Animal Behavior
Johns Hopkins BioREU
Georgetown REU (Environmental Science and Policy in the Nation's Capital)

Sorry been lurking on this thread for a while but never actually posted anything haha

Has anyone else besides SonhosDaVida heard back from DAAD Rise this past week?

Johns Hopkins BioREU

Sorry been lurking on this thread for a while but never actually posted anything haha

buddy of mine heard back from J Hops about a month ago with his acceptance

Anyone heard from the REU at the Wadsworth Center?

Johns Hopkins BioREU

Still waiting on Georgetown as well. That and Scripps but they said they'd get back early March so I'm not sure what's happening with that.

I was 40 minutes late for my Columbia interview because time zone which I forgot to account for. F$%$ my life! I am so screwed!!

I applied to WashU Amgen and had to accept by yesterday... so maybe next week early?
when did you get your initial offer from Amgen WashU? They are my top choice and I am currently on their waitlist so I am anxious to know when I could hear back.

Has anyone heard from Scripps SURF? I assume that they will be sort of late with their decisions due to the late deadline, but still

I think it is a horrible thing that NYU has not even emailed whether one was denied or waitlisted....
The application cost $, they should have the decency to email back to students.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard from Scripps SURF? I assume that they will be sort of late with their decisions due to the late deadline, but still
I talked to them a few weeks ago and they said they wouldn't have decisions until the end of March

I think it is a horrible thing that NYU has not even emailed whether one was denied or waitlisted....
The application cost $, they should have the decency to email back to students.
They own the second most land in manhattan, after the church. And tuition alone 50k/yr and dorm costs 10k/semester. 50k students and has the most number of international students who pay full tuition. Nyu is the one school that have no excuse in charging application fee...

Yeah I have still not heard back from NYU Sackler even though the director herself on the phone stated that the decisions would be sent March 15th. This is just ridiculous now

The only possible explanation for the delay I can come up with may be because of the snow storm but still they need to notify us pretty soon

Accepted
CSNE REU at MIT - rn3x (2/15)
Rockefeller SURF - sciencenerd14 (2/17)
NIH SIP - kitts95 (sometime between 1/30 and 2/4), ho04pe (2/16), bumbler (1/23)
Vanderbilt SMRP - kitts95 (2/6)
Brigham Women's STARS - Chromium Surfer ( 2/22)
Michigan State SROP - AutoclaveGuru ( 2/13)
Iowa SUMR - Microbug (2/23)
MHIRT- UAB (2/23)
Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program (HIP) - Beyonce2.0 (2/24)
Harvard SCTRP- Chromium Surfer ( 2/24)
HMS-DBMI/HST Summer Institute in Biomedical Informatics - bluelamin (2/24)
UT Southwestern SURF (2/24)
UNC SURE-REU- ho04pe (2/25)
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE (2/27)
UMichigan SROP - 135pipe (2/27)
Danforth Center,Wash U - SonhosDaVida, AutoclaveGuru, (2/27)
Einstein College of Medicine - sciencenerd14 (3/1)
MIT Amgen - SonhosDaVida (3/1)
UCSF SRTP - Silverwind278, SonhosDaVida (3/1)
Broad Institute - rn3x (3/2)
Boston College REU - rn3x (3/1)
Harvard Amgen - (3/2) - easton 11, Beyonce 2.0
UC Berkeley Amgen (3/2) - sciencenerd14, Silverwind278
WashU LA (3/3)- wafet96
Mayo SURF (3/3) - Silverwind278
Columbia Amgen (3/3) - sciencenerd14
EBICS MIT (3/3)- fuga_city
WashU Amgen (3/7) - sciencenerd14
NYU SURP (3/7) - sciencenerd14

DAAD RiSE (3/8)- SonhosDaVida
UW-Madison REU (3/8)- wafet96
UVA SRIP LA (3/9)- SonhosDaVida

Preliminary Offer/Interview
Columbia Amgen - sciencenerd14 (2/14), fuga_city (2/14); official transcript requested (3/1)

Rejected:

MIT Amgen - fuga_city, sciencenerd14, rn3x (3/1)
Gerstner Sloan Kettering - sciencenerd14, rn3x (3/1)
Johns Hopkins SIP - rn3x (3/1), Carmiche (3/1)
Johns Hopkins INBT - rn3x (2/27)
Uof ChicagoREU- AutoclaveGuru(2/21)
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies- AutoclaveGuru(3/1)
Stanford Amgen - Silverwind278
UCB Amgen- fuga_city (3/3), rn3x (3/7)
USC SURE - rn3x (3/7)
Tokyo Amgen - rn3x (3/9)
UCSF Amgen/SRTP - rn3x (3/9)
Boston STARS -AutoclaveGuru (3/16)

I have acceptances from Mayo, GSK SURP and the Emory SURE program. Just wondering if anyone had participated in these programs before and have any advice to share on deciding? I'm having a hard time choosing between them, and I keep on changing my mind (at the moment, leaning a bit towards Emory bc I'm familiar w the school but I don't know whether that's good reasoning).

I have an offer in the lab I'm currently working in for the summer, but I'm getting really nervous about decisions. Has anyone heard back from Princeton Neuroscience, Duke SROP, or UCSD STARS?
Talked to Princeton over a week ago and they said they were running late and hoped to have all decisions out within a week, Duke SROP said March 1st that they hoped to have them out soon. :unsure:

when did you get your initial offer from Amgen WashU? They are my top choice and I am currently on their waitlist so I am anxious to know when I could hear back.
I heard back from WashU on the 7th of March in the afternoon.

I have an offer in the lab I'm currently working in for the summer, but I'm getting really nervous about decisions. Has anyone heard back from Princeton Neuroscience, Duke SROP, or UCSD STARS?
Talked to Princeton over a week ago and they said they were running late and hoped to have all decisions out within a week, Duke SROP said March 1st that they hoped to have them out soon. :unsure:
I got an offer that I needed to reply for by March 6, and I emailed Alan Kendrick at Duke on the 3rd. He said that they wouldn't have the decisions anything soon, so I took the other offer. Duke was my top choice and I'm really frustrated that I didn't even get a chance to consider it before the deadline ran out for the other program.

What he said was that they were still reviewing applications and didn't have a firm date for releasing the acceptances.

Sorry this isn't very helpful, I just wanted to let you know what I know. Good luck, and I hope you get in because it would have meant the world to me to go there for the summer!

I got an offer that I needed to reply for by March 6, and I emailed Alan Kendrick at Duke on the 3rd. He said that they wouldn't have the decisions anything soon, so I took the other offer. Duke was my top choice and I'm really frustrated that I didn't even get a chance to consider it before the deadline ran out for the other program.

What he said was that they were still reviewing applications and didn't have a firm date for releasing the acceptances.

Sorry this isn't very helpful, I just wanted to let you know what I know. Good luck, and I hope you get in because it would have meant the world to me to go there for the summer!
This happened to a friend I know too. He's crazy about Duke. Omg do I know you? lol

Honestly, this is just Duke doing what Duke does best... breaking hearts.

I was 40 minutes late for my Columbia interview because time zone which I forgot to account for. F$%$ my life! I am so screwed!!
Also, LOL.

How did it go?

No worries! Although note that decisions still haven't come out...so...not soon....

For those Duke SROP folks, I can confirm that Duke has begun making noise.