Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from Columbia SR-EIP? I emailed them but I received no response.
When did you email Columbia SR-EIP? The website says Columbia hasn't made a decision yet. (I hope it's not a silent rejection!)

Members don't see this ad.

WashU BioMedRAP just send out rejections...
feel like this is foreshadowing my application this upcoming cycle...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear from NYU SURP, Vanderbilt UCRIP, or UPenn USSP? Anxiously waiting and need to confirm on other summer plans....
Emailed Vandy UCRIP a couple days ago and haven't heard back.

Oh yeah for sure! Can't pass up an opportunity like this.
Great! Can't wait to meet you! You should definitely let me know when you hear back about PI choices. I can't wait to read over the lab options!

Any news from Cornell or UC Irvine SURF? I know UCI decisions should be out late March or early April.

Great! Can't wait to meet you! You should definitely let me know when you hear back about PI choices. I can't wait to read over the lab options!
Yeah I can't wait to meet you too! I'll let you know when I hear back, currently I'm still waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
first off I want to say congratulations on all of the acceptances to programs that everyone has received.
I am a junior in chemical engineering at the University of Kansas with a 4.0 GPA, 2 years of research at my home institution, 1 summer REU at Penn State and am currently in the process of completeing 2 publications (1 from the REU, 1 from KU). I applied to The Amgen program at Columbia and UC Berkeley as well as the EBICS program but as of today have not received a response from the 2 Amgen programs. I do truly understand how competitive these programs are but I know I had solid recommendations from both PIs I worked under as well as above average essays and my stats speak for themselves. Any wise words from some of the people who got accepted into everything?

Also is there still hope having not heard back at this point? Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
first off I want to say congratulations on all of the acceptances to programs that everyone has received.
I am a junior in chemical engineering at the University of Kansas with a 4.0 GPA, 2 years of research at my home institution, 1 summer REU at Penn State and am currently in the process of completeing 2 publications (1 from the REU, 1 from KU). I applied to The Amgen program at Columbia and UC Berkeley as well as the EBICS program but as of today have not received a response from the 2 Amgen programs. I do truly understand how competitive these programs are but I know I had solid recommendations from both PIs I worked under as well as above average essays and my stats speak for themselves. Any wise words from some of the people who got accepted into everything?

When did you apply?

I finished the Columbia Amgen application around January 5th, UCB Amgen around January 20th or so.
So here are a couple suggestions to increase your chances in the future:
1. Apply earlier. Most of programs begin accepting apps in November and stop accepting apps in Feb. The first year I applied, I turned in everything in around the deadline (last week of Jan) and barely got accepted. I ended up getting in two places (most likely off the waitlist). The following years, I turned everything in December and got multiple early offers and acceptances each year. You could still totally get accepted applying near the deadline but applying early does help some.

2. These programs are quite competitive, you should apply to more than two.

3. Make sure that the school you are applying to actually has active research projects in the area you listed on app and statement. If you are an superstar applicant, you could still get rejected if they can't place you in a lab.

So here are a couple suggestions to increase your chances in the future:
1. Apply earlier. Most of programs begin accepting apps in November and stop accepting apps in Feb. The first year I applied, I turned in everything in around the deadline (last week of Jan) and barely got accepted. I ended up getting in two places (most likely off the waitlist). The following years, I turned everything in December and got multiple early offers and acceptances each year. You could still totally get accepted applying near the deadline but applying early does help some.

2. These programs are quite competitive, you should apply to more than two.

3. Make sure that the school you are applying to actually has active research projects in the area you listed on app and statement. If you are an superstar applicant, you could still get rejected if they can't place you in a lab.
Thanks for the advice. Is it worth any hope that I haven't recieved any rejection yet?

It's tough to say. Have you tried to emailing them?
I did yesterday for the first time but no response yet. I should also mention I am on a wait list at Iowa State but I'd almost rather stay at my home institution and work towards another publication then go to my "backup program" so to speak lol. I do understand that not getting into a summer program doesn't hurt my chances of going to a top tier graduate school; it would just be a nice foot in the door so to speak and the lack of response was really the most disheartening part. After reading through this thread though I saw that people were rejected in early march so that was my source of confusion (and potentially false hope).

Thanks for the advice. Is it worth any hope that I haven't recieved any rejection yet?

Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck this cycle. I got into the UC Berkeley Amgen but turned them down around March 13ish. I'm pretty sure all acceptances have already been sent out and finalized.

I'm new/late to the game but I accepted UCLA Amgen last month.

I got accepted to both Amgen programs, and I applied to Columbia on 1/5 and UCB on 1/28.

I know ChemE is a very difficult major so congrats on having a 4.0! I think because you're engineering and if your background is on say materials or nanoparticles, there is certainly applicability to Life Sciences which many of these programs tend to favor but there seems to be fewer labs within these programs catered to engineering students that fall under the umbrella of these programs. For example, the director of the UCB Amgen program is the Bio Sci Graduate Diversity Director. The only other thing is that I know some sophomores were accepted to the UCB program who somehow already have similar if not more experience than both you and me which is quite frankly frightening so just keep that in mind.

I want to wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Anyone hear from NYU SURP, Vanderbilt UCRIP, or UPenn USSP? Anxiously waiting and need to confirm on other summer plans....

I was accepted to UPenn USSP on March 15 and had to turn it down due to accepting an earlier research offer. Hopefully, you'll get my spot instead! Good luck!

has anyone heard anything from MUSC SURP? they said that they were going to try to get decisions out by mid-march.

Has anyone contacted Harvard SREIP Leadership Alliance to solicit the decision? If you have, has Harvard responded to your message?

I talked to them a few weeks ago and they said they wouldn't have decisions until the end of March

Does the end of March mean now LOL but jokes aside, is Scripps emailing both acceotances and rejections? I emailed them about it 2 weeks ago but they didn't reply so...

Has anyone heard back from UChicago or Harvard? I applied to Johns Hopkins and got rejected and am still awaiting these two...what do you think my chances are? I have a 3.5 GPA and research experience with a ton of ECs, solid letters of rec, and I spent a while on my essay and felt pretty good about it.

Does anyone know if NIH SIP performs drug tests on the interns?

Duke SROP update-
"As of yesterday, I received the first round of Duke SROP 2017 acceptances from the faculty. While your name was not on that initial list, I have been given instructions not to send out any denials until we have a complete class. There is a possibility that other names may be included. I hope to complete the process by April 7, 2017."

Princeton Neuroscience update-
"Our final decisions probably won’t go out until next week sometime. Sorry for the delay."
I just got in ! the only thing is that i didnt think i was going to get in since im a freshmen, so i said yes to another program at my university so im not sure if ill try to get out of it and take duke's offer

Reactions: 2 users
Hello!
Has anyone heard from UCSD MSTP surf or know if they already made some noise?
Also, does albert einstein surf do silent rejections? I know someone here already got an acceptance from them.
I am waiting on the two before making plans for this summer.

Thank you!

@ho04pe
I got rejected from UCSD MSTP like a week ago- "Your application for admission to the 2017 UCSD Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, due to the large number of highly qualified applicants and the limited number of positions, we were unable to accept you for this year’s program. If you will still be eligible, we encourage you to apply for the 2018 SURF Program. "

@ho04pe
I got rejected from UCSD MSTP like a week ago- "Your application for admission to the 2017 UCSD Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Unfortunately, due to the large number of highly qualified applicants and the limited number of positions, we were unable to accept you for this year’s program. If you will still be eligible, we encourage you to apply for the 2018 SURF Program. "
Thank you for your response.
I'm gonna take this as a silent rejection for me.
They might have missed my name on the autogenerated email for rejections. lol

Has anyone heard back from Jackson Labs SSP? Or the NIDA Genes & Addiction REU? Or College of Charleston Omics REU?

Has anyone heard back from Jackson Labs SSP? Or the NIDA Genes & Addiction REU? Or College of Charleston Omics REU?
I think Jax responds at the start of April. Almost certain I'll be getting a rejection though :(.

I think Jax responds at the start of April. Almost certain I'll be getting a rejection though :(.
I saw on college confidential that some high school juniors have received both acceptances and rejections, so I'm curious why I have not heard anything yet.

I saw on college confidential that some high school juniors have received both acceptances and rejections, so I'm curious why I have not heard anything yet.
Could be they're waiting to hear back from acceptees before sending out another wave of acceptances (and then more rejections once remaining spots are full).

Has anyone heard from BU SURF or City of Hope? If I have to respond to another program's offer in a week should I just email them to ask about my application?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know some people have gotten rejected from Cornell LA, but has anyone gotten accepted?

Has anyone heard from BU SURF or City of Hope? If I have to respond to another program's offer in a week should I just email them to ask about my application?

I emailed the BU SURF director, but haven't heard anything back. I believe I sent out an email a week ago.

I found out on Tuesday 3/28 that I was rejected from CRISSP at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I received notification from KU Pharmacy that I was not accepted into their program and Vanderbilt's Chemical Biology REU rejected me today too. I am still holding out for Scripp's or Syracuse.

So I applied to CHOP's CRISSP program and I haven't heard anything at all--I know that some people have been rejected and some people were given interviews...what does this mean?