RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I was shorted almost $200 worth of call-in fees on the paycheck that gets paid tomorrow. Here's hoping it's easy to get corrected....but very little in academia is easy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting how someone can conveniently lose their phone every time you need them to step up and do half of the work or even just keep up to date on a case by reading the chart (the minimum of what she signed up for), yet appear only when faculty is involved. Gotta look good, right? Two more weeks, two more weeks...

Interesting how someone can conveniently lose their phone every time you need them to step up and do half of the work or even just keep up to date on a case by reading the chart (the minimum of what she signed up for), yet appear only when faculty is involved. Gotta look good, right? Two more weeks, two more weeks...
Hang in there!

What will she do when she is on her own? Flounder.
What will you do on your own?
Succeed!

People can only keep up appearances for so long. One day she will get caught and you will just keep on keepin on! Two more weeks!! You've got this!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most final grades were just released at my school... Guess an internship/residency may be out of the question after all :( feeling incredibly discouraged after killing myself for weeks to do the best I can for finals. Vet school is really hard when your best is just not good enough

Most final grades were just released at my school... Guess an internship/residency may be out of the question after all :( feeling incredibly discouraged after killing myself for weeks to do the best I can for finals. Vet school is really hard when your best is just not good enough
Any type of MEDICAL school is hard. Really hard. I understand.

Try not to get too down on yourself. It's okay to go on a walkabout, have fun with close friends, grab a few of your favorite pizzas ... and shake out those blustery clouds in your brain. With a fresh mindset, you can go back to your studies and figure out what to do differently. If you need extra help or assistance, ask for it. Don't beat yourself up. You'll just wear yourself out instead.

Wishing you the best ... you can do it! :)

Reactions: 3 users

If it makes you feel better, it is definitely still possible. I started off vet school at like 2.2 after first year. Pulled my GPA up, still graduated bottom like 7% of my class and got my top choice internship. And now I'm staying on as an ER doc and toying with the idea of a Derm residency. It is not completely all about your GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the bottom 10% of my class and doing an academic (equine) internship. Don't give up hope if its what you really want to do!

Reactions: 1 users
This type of worry is why I like Virginia's pass/fail system. Too many people get caught up in their GPA. These schools set forth a standard on what they deem is acceptable. If you're still passing, you're good enough to be a vet. So you don't need to worry about it.

This makes me feel so much better. Almost finished with first year (one week to go!) and my GPA, unless a miracle happens, is going to be in the low 2.0s... I'm hoping to specialize eventually, so it's good to hear that it's by no means impossible even if first year was rough---I'm blaming anatomy. I'm just desperately hoping that things improve next year since I've had the time to adjust and that the material being a little bit more immediately clinically relevant will make it *slightly* easier to sit down and study. ;);) Especially because I've been working hard to make connections in my fields of interest through work and research.
I heard of so many people (at my school at least) almost fail out with anatomy, and then do really well in everything else once that bear of a class is over with. It really is a different beast, so just keep in mind that doing poorly in anatomy does not equal doing poorly in other classes/years.

I heard of so many people (at my school at least) almost fail out with anatomy, and then do really well in everything else once that bear of a class is over with. It really is a different beast, so just keep in mind that doing poorly in anatomy does not equal doing poorly in other classes/years.

Different school but I was very close to failing anatomy. I just never figured out how to study for that class. Definitely got easier after that.

Yup. It is a rare beast that conquers that class with ease. Take it from someone who this was a struggle for me even though I got a good grade and TA now, it is still not necessarily intuitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta love ending vet school on a super negative note. Almost in tears after getting chewed out in the ICU in front of everyone by the resident about something that was mostly her fault and not a big deal.

Well technically I still have to come tomorrow morning and afternoon to discharge my patient (with said resident). Joy.

Gotta love ending vet school on a super negative note. Almost in tears after getting chewed out in the ICU in front of everyone by the resident about something that was mostly her fault and not a big deal.

Well technically I still have to come tomorrow morning and afternoon to discharge my patient (with said resident). Joy.
Ugh, I'm sorry filly :(

Just give the hospital the middle finger on your way out tomorrow afternoon, get some good food and alcohol. It is all over. Sorry you were treated that way

Reactions: 8 users

I'm so sorry filly :(, hugz for you :love:

@Filly Bay ... sorry you had to deal with that resident. I hope you can put this incident behind you.

CELEBRATE!!!

You're graduating from veterinary medical school!

Hey, look, I found someone who's already "whinnying" for you - must be one of your future patients! :)

horse.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
@WildZoo @DVMDream @Coopah @SandstormDVM @Doctor-S
Thanks everyone :) I realize it wasn't personal because she was rude and disrespectful to everyone today - techs, students, clinicians, other house officers. Today was busy but it gives her no right to take it out on anyone else. Just sucks to end on such a bad note. Would take Dvmd's advice but I'm back in here in two months for my internship :laugh: (cept for the foods and alcohols, I def need that). But man, am I ready for a break. These last few months really broke me and this was the cherry on top.

Reactions: 4 users
Since I switched to the night background, every time I refresh the page it pops me back up near the top if the page so it isn't bookmarking my last read comment very well.

This was really frustrating with the ww game. Is it just this color screen (cause I will go back to classic blue) or is it doing it across SDN (on mobile, not the app)?

Since I switched to the night background, every time I refresh the page it pops me back up near the top if the page so it isn't bookmarking my last read comment very well.

This was really frustrating with the ww game. Is it just this color screen (cause I will go back to classic blue) or is it doing it across SDN (on mobile, not the app)?
When I refresh it sticks me to wherever in the page I first loaded the page. So you are not the only one!

That has always happened for me...because when you go to a particular thread the url is for the post that it takes you to, so if you refresh it's going to take you back to that url, so back to the same post.

If it's taking you to the top of the page you can hit the "go to first unread" button (which for me only shows up on mobile in landscape orientation)

When someone on FB says "People who euthanize their animals sicken me" and you reach a whole new level of anger/disappointment that you didn't know existed.

Reactions: 3 users
When someone on FB says "People who euthanize their animals sicken me" and you reach a whole new level of anger/disappointment that you didn't know existed.
I once had someone tell me that they didn't believe that euthanasia actually worked. She thought the solution puts them to sleep and then we actually kill them in the back. Wtf. Stay strong pinkpuppy! People are the worst.

I once had someone tell me that they didn't believe that euthanasia actually worked. She thought the solution puts them to sleep and then we actually kill them in the back. Wtf. Stay strong pinkpuppy! People are the worst.
Ugh people.

Also a little upset that our school apparently gave out scholarships specifically reserved for upperclassmen to first years. Two more years...

That has always happened for me...because when you go to a particular thread the url is for the post that it takes you to, so if you refresh it's going to take you back to that url, so back to the same post.

If it's taking you to the top of the page you can hit the "go to first unread" button (which for me only shows up on mobile in landscape orientation)
It is new to me. Sucks so much! Normally refresh would bring me to the first unread automatically.

Had a dramatic day today. I just happen to be in America on break (for once), an hour away from my parents' house trying on bridesmaid dresses etc. for my friend's wedding next year when I see about 100 missed calls on my phone about my parents' dog (born when I was in 9th grade so really my dog too) who is suddenly in really bad way. I got home an hour later to what is very obviously an episode of vestibular disease. After like two really intense hours she is now a lot better and resting but good vibes and prayers are super appreciated. This dog has literally been a member of our family since her conception (her mother was our first family dog) and she is "the baby of the family" despite not actually being the youngest dog anymore lol...

Positive side note: when the vet looked at her she affirmed literally everything I had thought and said to my mother about what was going on with her and what treatment and prognosis would be, so apparently I am actually learning things in vet school, yay me.

Reactions: 11 users
Had a dramatic day today. I just happen to be in America on break (for once), an hour away from my parents' house trying on bridesmaid dresses etc. for my friend's wedding next year when I see about 100 missed calls on my phone about my parents' dog (born when I was in 9th grade so really my dog too) who is suddenly in really bad way. I got home an hour later to what is very obviously an episode of vestibular disease. After like two really intense hours she is now a lot better and resting but good vibes and prayers are super appreciated. This dog has literally been a member of our family since her conception (her mother was our first family dog) and she is "the baby of the family" despite not actually being the youngest dog anymore lol...

Positive side note: when the vet looked at her she affirmed literally everything I had thought and said to my mother about what was going on with her and what treatment and prognosis would be, so apparently I am actually learning things in vet school, yay me.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts!

@WeimMama ... sending you and your dog all of my kindest thoughts and best wishes. Hope she feels better soon! :)

Thanks guys :) trazadone is doing a good job of keeping her calm and safe right now. I am relieved, she was so bad yesterday that it seemed hard to see ahead to her being this much better

Reactions: 4 users
I've been waiting for 9 years to have this double jaw surgery so I can finally chew properly and now because of my recent lung problems my PCP isn't clearing me. :punch::rage::mad:
(I know it's important that I stay alive during the surgery and not die but still. Ack)

To make it worse he did clear me last summer but I couldn't do the surgery because of other problems. I'm so done.
:diebanana:

I've been waiting for 9 years to have this double jaw surgery so I can finally chew properly and now because of my recent lung problems my PCP isn't clearing me. :punch::rage::mad:
(I know it's important that I stay alive during the surgery and not die but still. Ack)

To make it worse he did clear me last summer but I couldn't do the surgery because of other problems. I'm so done.
:diebanana:
I'm sorry :(, if it clears up will they still let you do it this summer?

I'm sorry :(, if it clears up will they still let you do it this summer?
I made an appointment with my PCP to see. The receptionist at the surgeon's office said that it's likely that I'll need to prove my lungs are working well or something like that, and I'll have to undergo lots and lots of tests and nonsense like that. Ugh.

Soooo, remember when my dog tore his CCL and was diagnosed, driven half way across the country, and taken to my teaching clinic to schedule a surgery? Turns out he DOESN'T have a tear, and just really bad hips. Like, really bad. They did rads and it was hard to look at :arghh: but, it's nothing we can't manage and he won't need surgery any time soon... so I guess this is a rant and rave! Happy to get my boy started on some supplements to help his pain... sad that he's hurting and that it was a long road getting to this point!

Reactions: 6 users
I posted this in an individual thread but was redirected here soooo here's my post haha. I basically just finished a really disappointing semester.
This was my sophomore year of undergrad and basically a lot has happened. I switched back to Biology after failing classes in the major last year. I decided I want to pursue medicine. Not entirely sure of my direction but working through it. I set goals to get the best grades I could this semester to be bring my GPA up.

I ended it with one A, two B's, two C's, and one grade teetering between a B and A that I don't know about yet.

I'm really disappointed in myself, because I feel like I'm trying, but I'm not trying hard enough. And I get more and more sad when I compare myself to the people around me, yet that's all I can do. People are trying to get their GPAs as close to 4.0 as possible and I'm currently trying to get to a 3.0 and then move from there.

My university does grade forgiveness, so it'll help my GPA a little bit as I just retook two Bio classes this last semester and got the A and and the grade that's teetering, and I'm retaking the math class this fall. However, I know that not everywhere does grade forgiveness and I take it that if I apply to vet school they will just average the grades?

Anyway, I feel like I'm in an uphill climb and I'm not helping myself by getting average grades. Especially when the people around me are disappointing their GPA went from 3.9 to 3.8. Not to sound like I don't appreciate their distress, I understand those feelings can transcend to anyone, no matter where you are in academics. I feel like I need to do better and keep pushing through, so I guess this is just kind of a rant thing anddd yea.

The last 24 hours have been kind of ****ty.

1.) A bearing on one of my truck wheels broke last night as I was headed to the grocery store. It got towed two hours away to my parents' mechanic.
2.) A tick hitched a ride in my hair this morning when I put my trash out.
3.) The blueberry muffin I bought at work had mold inside of it.
4.) Today was the first day of the new bus route and the return home was awful - crowded bus stop with lots of smokers so I had to use my inhaler.

5.) ... and I never got my groceries so I don't have bottled water or snacks to take to work this week.

Apparently my truck is already fixed but it's at my parents so I won't get it back until Sunday. I'm seriously considering trying Instacart (it's a home delivery service for groceries that just added service in Columbus). Mondays.

I made an appointment with my PCP to see. The receptionist at the surgeon's office said that it's likely that I'll need to prove my lungs are working well or something like that, and I'll have to undergo lots and lots of tests and nonsense like that. Ugh.
@cdoconn ... I know it must be frustrating, but I'd rather have your surgery postponed (temporarily) and keep you healthy and alive. You're priceless and so are your lungs. No one wants to take any chances. We love you! Sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts. :cat:

@cdoconn ... I know it must be frustrating, but I'd rather have your surgery postponed (temporarily) and keep you healthy and alive. You're priceless and so are your lungs. No one wants to take any chances. We love you! Sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts. :cat:
Awww. Thank you Dr-S. It's just... frustrating. :arghh: I just want to be able to chew and bite properly. :(

I posted this in an individual thread but was redirected here soooo here's my post haha. I basically just finished a really disappointing semester.
This was my sophomore year of undergrad and basically a lot has happened. I switched back to Biology after failing classes in the major last year. I decided I want to pursue medicine. Not entirely sure of my direction but working through it. I set goals to get the best grades I could this semester to be bring my GPA up.

I ended it with one A, two B's, two C's, and one grade teetering between a B and A that I don't know about yet.

I'm really disappointed in myself, because I feel like I'm trying, but I'm not trying hard enough. And I get more and more sad when I compare myself to the people around me, yet that's all I can do. People are trying to get their GPAs as close to 4.0 as possible and I'm currently trying to get to a 3.0 and then move from there.

My university does grade forgiveness, so it'll help my GPA a little bit as I just retook two Bio classes this last semester and got the A and and the grade that's teetering, and I'm retaking the math class this fall. However, I know that not everywhere does grade forgiveness and I take it that if I apply to vet school they will just average the grades?

Anyway, I feel like I'm in an uphill climb and I'm not helping myself by getting average grades. Especially when the people around me are disappointing their GPA went from 3.9 to 3.8. Not to sound like I don't appreciate their distress, I understand those feelings can transcend to anyone, no matter where you are in academics. I feel like I need to do better and keep pushing through, so I guess this is just kind of a rant thing anddd yea.
Welcome to the rant thread :D

The good news is that you're a sophomore now, so you still have at least one year of school before you apply. And you were taking six classes this semester . . . 18 credits, or thereabouts? My advice would be to take a little break next semester. Take a less stressful load - 15 or 14 credits - and give yourself the best chance to succeed. You can't change the things that have already happened. Don't dwell on them. Try to figure out what has been keeping you from getting the grades you want. Is it too many classes, not enough time to study? Working too much? Need to try different study techniques?

Schools will want to see that you can take difficult science classes and excel. You still have time to show them this. It's frustrating the feel like you're constantly performing below your peers - I definitely know that feeling.

Ended my shift with a visit from a lady with an older pug for suspected respiratory distress and not using the hind limbs. Came in mildly ataxic but definitely ambulatory and no resp effort

Sounds like it may have some soft palate issues and before we got a chance to go over medical options since she doesn't want surgery, the other requested to have the dog PTSd. Now, I'm typically probably one of the doctors more likely to put An animal to sleep early but this guy was BAR and pulse oxing at 99% without 02. Told her I wouldn't do it and she lost her mind. Sort of waiting for that yelp review to come up in the next few days.

Oh and started off my ER shift with a pericardial effusion that coded post tap.

Finding it harder and harder to go to my job everyday. The management there has always been questionable, which has led to a toxic work environment. I've always felt like I'm on the back burner, and this was shown this last week.

Asked to work full time this summer, as I've been since December. Manager never said anything, so I assumed that was fine. However, found out by accident (stumbling upon the schedule on her desk while I was putting our inventory on there), that she only has me for around 20 hours this summer a week. And it looked like practically everyone else got the schedule they asked for. It was a big blow, and made me just not want to work there anymore. She still has not posted the schedule for everyone to see, and it's supposed to start on Monday. Now I'm having to scramble to either find a second job for the summer, or see if I can find a job somewhere else full time until August. It's just been crazy stressful.

Finding it harder and harder to go to my job everyday. The management there has always been questionable, which has led to a toxic work environment. I've always felt like I'm on the back burner, and this was shown this last week.

Asked to work full time this summer, as I've been since December. Manager never said anything, so I assumed that was fine. However, found out by accident (stumbling upon the schedule on her desk while I was putting our inventory on there), that she only has me for around 20 hours this summer a week. And it looked like practically everyone else got the schedule they asked for. It was a big blow, and made me just not want to work there anymore. She still has not posted the schedule for everyone to see, and it's supposed to start on Monday. Now I'm having to scramble to either find a second job for the summer, or see if I can find a job somewhere else full time until August. It's just been crazy stressful.
Ugh. I'm sorry. :( I hope a different FT job comes along so you can quit and have a low stress summer.

One of my patients who I've spent a TON of time caring for/trying to keep alive finally died today after 2 very long weeks of pure torture and suffering. It just makes me so sad that this poor animal spent 1/3rd of its life in misery and agony to not win the fight. RIP little baby, there is no more pain and sadness anymore. :(

One of my patients who I've spent a TON of time caring for/trying to keep alive finally died today after 2 very long weeks of pure torture and suffering. It just makes me so sad that this poor animal spent 1/3rd of its life in misery and agony to not win the fight. RIP little baby, there is no more pain and sadness anymore. :(
I'm sorry jmo :( *hugs*