RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
8/10 with rice

f7b.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
We had some really stupid, extremely long days this week, and the one night I work a normal 9 hour shift, I come home and my dog pees in the house twice overnight. Come on dog, why?? Dumb. 12, 14, and 15 hours weren't a problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw your signature and that you're going to the AAZV/AEMV/ARAV Conference! I'm trying to go too but I want them to post the schedule so I can plan :mad:

Yasssss!!! I'm so excited! And yes, I wish they'd put stuff up too, but since registration isn't until July 1st...it'll likely be awhile. Registration opened April 1st last year, but I can't remember how early in advance the schedule was posted. I just keep checking AAZV's site a couple times a week.

Reactions: 1 user
On Monday night, while driving down to my grandmother's wake/funeral in Iowa (before we got the flat tire), we received a phone call from the hotel we had blocked rooms at for our wedding. The hotel that was listed on all of our invitations and wedding website. The hotel specifically chosen due to its proximity to the venue, free breakfast, swimming pool, price, and pet policy MONTHS AGO. Why did they call? To essentially tell us that despite our signed contract, they had to cancel our deal because they need to do renovations on the rooms and they will all be under construction.

Fast forward to today and I cannot find any hotels in the area with enough openings for the right price, even taking out some of our previous "needs list" (like the pool and the pet policy). We've been in talks with the manager at the previous hotel who basically found us a block at a shady looking motel 20 miles away from our venue with no breakfast or pool for the same price as he was giving us (which we declined because seriously?).

It's sunny and warm outside, we got out early, I already took the dogs to the dog park, yet I'm just feeling so frustrated and overwhelmed by this stupid hotel crap I may burst into tears.

On Monday night, while driving down to my grandmother's wake/funeral in Iowa (before we got the flat tire), we received a phone call from the hotel we had blocked rooms at for our wedding. The hotel that was listed on all of our invitations and wedding website. The hotel specifically chosen due to its proximity to the venue, free breakfast, swimming pool, price, and pet policy MONTHS AGO. Why did they call? To essentially tell us that despite our signed contract, they had to cancel our deal because they need to do renovations on the rooms and they will all be under construction.

Fast forward to today and I cannot find any hotels in the area with enough openings for the right price, even taking out some of our previous "needs list" (like the pool and the pet policy). We've been in talks with the manager at the previous hotel who basically found us a block at a shady looking motel 20 miles away from our venue with no breakfast or pool for the same price as he was giving us (which we declined because seriously?).

It's sunny and warm outside, we got out early, I already took the dogs to the dog park, yet I'm just feeling so frustrated and overwhelmed by this stupid hotel crap I may burst into tears.
I'm sorry kcough:(
Was there anything in the contract that said they could cancel it at any time? Because I think that's ridiculous that they've decided to cancel a block of rooms because they decided to do renovations. They could've done their renovations during the off season and when there wasn't a bunch of rooms blocked out:yeahright:
If there wasn't anything in your contract about them being able to just cancel on you, I'd think they wouldn't be allowed to just do that. If it's a legal contract and doesn't say they can cancel for no reason/something you did, that's not right.
Hope everything works out for you<3

First time flying with the little dog and our flight gets delayed. He won't use the service dog potties because they're inside. And no eating dinner because he's too stressed :(

I made an offer on a super cute house yesterday and it got accepted. FedExed all my stuff down to be there today and then went to bed super early (like 7 pm) to get rid of a migraine. Woke up at 8:50 to my realator calling me that they just went with someone who could pay cash. Thanks to the seller's agent for telling me I have a place and then taking it away. Plus I'm super stoked to lose the money I spent overnighting the stuff down. I'm so tired of looking for housing. Everything sells in less than 24 hours and it sucks.

@kcoughli ... very sorry to hear about this hotel problem. Your wedding celebration deserves to be wonderful, dreamy, memorable and happy!

Agree with SkiOtter about the contract that was executed between you and the hotel.

Please review the hotel's contract carefully in connection with the state's innkeeper laws. Pay attention to any "damages" or "compensation" clauses in connection with a unilateral cancellation by the hotel (e.g., for renovation or whatever) - especially given that the contract itself was executed "months ago."

In other words, it is reasonable to assume that you would incur (anticipatory) damages at the time that you executed the contract (i.e., months ago) if your reserved block of rooms was unilaterally cancelled by the hotel. However, right now, that doesn't resolve the actual problem: you need a block of hotel rooms for your wedding. I understand. You may need to reserve rooms at separate hotels if you're unable to reserve a block of rooms at a single hotel (to mitigate your damages at this time).

Hmmm ... you're attending veterinary medicine school at the University of Minnesota, eh? If you do not already have an attorney and you need some legal assistance in reviewing the fine print of the hotel's contract, you might want to contact UM's legal clinic (via its School of Law). They might provide free legal services to UM students.

I hope things work out well for you! Please know that I am sending you my kindest thoughts. :cat:

Reactions: 4 users
I made an offer on a super cute house yesterday and it got accepted. FedExed all my stuff down to be there today and then went to bed super early (like 7 pm) to get rid of a migraine. Woke up at 8:50 to my realator calling me that they just went with someone who could pay cash. Thanks to the seller's agent for telling me I have a place and then taking it away. Plus I'm super stoked to lose the money I spent overnighting the stuff down. I'm so tired of looking for housing. Everything sells in less than 24 hours and it sucks.
@hedgiehog ... did you (or your lawful agent) enter into a legally-binding purchase agreement with the seller? In other words, did you and the seller agree to all terms in a signed written contact?

If yes, it sounds as if it is a legally-binding agreement, with legal obligations imposed on both parties to the agreement. In such a case, it is advisable for you to promptly discuss this matter with your real estate agent or with qualified legal counsel. On the other hand, if you relied on the seller's agent's verbal comments, it will not be the same thing as a signed written contract.

Hope things work out for you - very sorry to hear about this situation! :cat:

Last edited:
@LadyOtheFarm wanted to be able to like a quote about an exam :)

Final on Wednesday was horrible but glad it hasn't set the tone for the rest of finals
In the words of one of my classmates, "That exam was like doing a rectal palpation on a chihuahua using your thumb with no lube. Hard, painful, and likely to come back to bite you."

Reactions: 11 users
Ahhh, I'm sorry, that sucks! I hope something else comes your way soon.

We are also in the process of buying a home. We just agreed on a price with the seller, and the house is now marked as "contingent". We are still waiting on the seller to sign before we go under contract! So worried that this won't work out. It is my dream home. But, if it doesn't happen, it didn't happen for a reason, and it was just not meant to be ours.

Ahhh, I'm sorry, that sucks! I hope something else comes your way soon.

We are also in the process of buying a home. We just agreed on a price with the seller, and the house is now marked as "contingent". We are still waiting on the seller to sign before we go under contract! So worried that this won't work out. It is my dream home. But, if it doesn't happen, it didn't happen for a reason, and it was just not meant to be ours.

That is exactly what I told myself when buying to avoid a huge let down, but I really hope you get your dream home!

Members don't see this ad :)
@LadyOtheFarm wanted to be able to like a quote about an exam :)

Final on Wednesday was horrible but glad it hasn't set the tone for the rest of finals
In the words of one of my classmates, "That exam was like doing a rectal palpation on a chihuahua using your thumb with no lube. Hard, painful, and likely to come back to bite you."
Itch scratched!

My fiancé called me last night and told me that our dog hurt his leg at the dog park. We FaceTimed and I taught him how to do a drawer test, and I was 99% sure it was a CCL rupture... He got a confirmed diagnosis today :arghh:

I hate that I'm not there to make sure everything goes okay at the vet appointments... he's going to have to have surgery in a couple of weeks and I wish I could be there. Ugh. I'm glad it's an injury and not cancer or something, but still. Yay for really, really expensive surgeries!

My fiancé called me last night and told me that our dog hurt his leg at the dog park. We FaceTimed and I taught him how to do a drawer test, and I was 99% sure it was a CCL rupture... He got a confirmed diagnosis today :arghh:

I hate that I'm not there to make sure everything goes okay at the vet appointments... he's going to have to have surgery in a couple of weeks and I wish I could be there. Ugh. I'm glad it's an injury and not cancer or something, but still. Yay for really, really expensive surgeries!

Start saving for the second knee .... :(

Reactions: 9 users
I'm sooo sorry @hazelmoo !! That stinks!! My dog just had his second TPLO last week. Two years apart so that was nice, but yeah, not covered by out insurance due to rupturing the other side already. The recovery can be a lot of work on the owner's end, too. We spend 45 minutes/day (15 min 3x) doing passive ROM exercises and then another 30 mins (10 min 3x) icing. He was an odd duck this second time around. No positive drawer test, pain on hyperextension, joint effusion, and lameness. He went in for an exploratory on Wednesday. The craniomedial band of his cranial cruciate ligament was intact. His surgeons called in another faculty member for their opinion on how to proceed. They said, "cut the craniomedial band, and you will find a ruptured caudolateral band". That's what they found, and then they proceeded with a TPLO. At his discharge, they said they were definitely caught off guard by him. But if this surgery is as successful as his first one, then he will be rocking two solid knees.

All the best to your puppy and I'm sorry you can't be there with him!!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sooo sorry @hazelmoo !! That stinks!! My dog just had his second TPLO last week. Two years apart so that was nice, but yeah, not covered by out insurance due to rupturing the other side already. The recovery can be a lot of work on the owner's end, too. We spend 45 minutes/day (15 min 3x) doing passive ROM exercises and then another 30 mins (10 min 3x) icing. He was an odd duck this second time around. No positive drawer test, pain on hyperextension, joint effusion, and lameness. He went in for an exploratory on Wednesday. The craniomedial band of his cranial cruciate ligament was intact. His surgeons called in another faculty member for their opinion on how to proceed. They said, "cut the craniomedial band, and you will find a ruptured caudolateral band". That's what they found, and then they proceeded with a TPLO. At his discharge, they said they were definitely caught off guard by him. But if this surgery is as successful as his first one, then he will be rocking two solid knees.

All the best to your puppy and I'm sorry you can't be there with him!!

Omg that is crazy! So we figured it out, my fiancé is going to drive up here with Santi so we can get the surgery done at the teaching clinic at my school (cheaper and I trust my doctors). Then he will stay here for rehab and I will drive back with him over the summer :)

Reactions: 9 users
Omg that is crazy! So we figured it out, my fiancé is going to drive up here with Santi so we can get the surgery done at the teaching clinic at my school (cheaper and I trust my doctors). Then he will stay here for rehab and I will drive back with him over the summer :)

Yay!! That is so wonderful!! It will definitely bring peace of mind having it done at your school/knowing your doctors. Keep us posted on how Santi does!

Reactions: 5 users
HIV epidemiology is confusing and depressing :(

It is. In my work program (which only deals with part of the HIV reporting done in the state) only upper level epi's deal with HIV data because it gets confusing, especially with the different screening and confirmatory tests involved. Every new case has to be manually entered and there's inevitably follow up with the lab or provider who ordered/processed the tests to make sure protocols were followed before the patient is notified and the interviews and epi investigations begin.

It is. In my work program (which only deals with part of the HIV reporting done in the state) only upper level epi's deal with HIV data because it gets confusing, especially with the different screening and confirmatory tests involved. Every new case has to be manually entered and there's inevitably follow up with the lab or provider who ordered/processed the tests to make sure protocols were followed before the patient is notified and the interviews and epi investigations begin.
For one of my study/survey design/field investigations classes I'm working with a partner to design a case control study related to the HIV outbreak in Indiana a few years ago and it's very complex even just deciding how to match cases and controls and what we'd like to investigate as exposures. Lots of potential confounders as well. Not to mention many of the populations that we'd need to talk to for this sort of thing are often transient, unwilling to speak with officials, difficult to recruit, or difficult to access in general.

Looking at selling my car and getting a new one after finals! That's more of a rave, but I took the car in to get inspected before letting people test drive it.. turns out I have to make repairs of $500. Really hoping I can sell it. I have about 7 people looking at it. Now I have to be firm on my price since I have to use it to pay back some of the repairs.

Looking at selling my car and getting a new one after finals! That's more of a rave, but I took the car in to get inspected before letting people test drive it.. turns out I have to make repairs of $500. Really hoping I can sell it. I have about 7 people looking at it. Now I have to be firm on my price since I have to use it to pay back some of the repairs.

Get a second opinion and/or do the repairs yourself. Unless it's super complicated you can usually find walkthroughs on most repairs.

Get a second opinion and/or do the repairs yourself. Unless it's super complicated you can usually find walkthroughs on most repairs.

I ended up just paying for them. I had to replace the brake pads and bushings/swaybar. My dad is lending me the money so I just have to pay him back when I sell it or trade it in. Currently have it at $6,000 but will probably take as low as $5500 due to the repairs

I ended up just paying for them. I had to replace the brake pads and bushings/swaybar. My dad is lending me the money so I just have to pay him back when I sell it or trade it in. Currently have it at $6,000 but will probably take as low as $5500 due to the repairs
If you've paid for the repairs, then the price of your vehicle should stay the same, since the brake pads, bushings and swaybars are new. Include that in the cost of sale.

Alternatively, if you had decided to not do the repairs, then the proper thing would have been to discount the sale price equal to the repairs and have full records prepared for the buyer.

Thanks guys! I'm looking at getting a 2016 car with low miles or a lease... but I want to be able to make payments for like 4 years then have no payments for a few years rather then always have a monthly payment with a lease. I'm looking at getting a crossover, I really like the ford escapes. Anyone have any experience with leases? Perhaps getting a certified pre-owned vehicle would be best? Come 4th year of vet school I don't want to have to worry about maintenance costs.

Thanks guys! I'm looking at getting a 2016 car with low miles or a lease... but I want to be able to make payments for like 4 years then have no payments for a few years rather then always have a monthly payment with a lease. I'm looking at getting a crossover, I really like the ford escapes. Anyone have any experience with leases? Perhaps getting a certified pre-owned vehicle would be best? Come 4th year of vet school I don't want to have to worry about maintenance costs.
I know someone at my work who is currently leasing from one of the big dealers in our area. She likes it, has a 2016 model. I'll ask for her opinion. I know the biggest thing that stick out to me about leasing is that you're restricted by how many miles you can drive it per year without being charged a fee.

I know someone at my work who is currently leasing from one of the big dealers in our area. She likes it, has a 2016 model. I'll ask for her opinion. I know the biggest thing that stick out to me about leasing is that you're restricted by how many miles you can drive it per year without being charged a fee.

Yeah I've had my car for 2 years and have put 15,000 miles on it total (so 7500/year). So I should be able to do a 10k or 12k lease per year. If you could let me know what she says that would be good. It would be nice since they're under warranty so I wouldn't have to worry about major repair costs.

I emailed my advisor last week asking for an appointment and she still hasn't gotten back to me. No auto-reply saying she's out of the office or anything. It's definitely the right email. She's been sending all of us in the program update emails about other things.

I sent her another email to recheck and still haven't gotten anything. It sucks being ghosted by someone who is actually kind of important to my plans for the upcoming months.

I emailed my advisor last week asking for an appointment and she still hasn't gotten back to me. No auto-reply saying she's out of the office or anything. It's definitely the right email. She's been sending all of us in the program update emails about other things.

I sent her another email to recheck and still haven't gotten anything. It sucks being ghosted by someone who is actually kind of important to my plans for the upcoming months.
Can you drop into her office one day?

I know I'm not the first person to complain about this, but this rabies vaccine costing a bazillion dollars is ticking me off today. I get that its not common for most people to get it, but I don't understand the logic that it isn't covered by insurance. I mean, I pay insurance, and I'm getting it to prevent a bigger bill should I get exposed, so you'd think my insurance would cover it, but nope. Not even a little. I'd be happy with a partial coverage!

Again, I know I"m not the only one to complain about this - but it was really pissing me off today and I know people here will understand.

I haven't even applied to vet school yet either! Sheesh. *rant over*

Ugh I know how that feels (though if she's still sending out program updates, that's even worse)

I know I'm not the first person to complain about this, but this rabies vaccine costing a bazillion dollars is ticking me off today. I get that its not common for most people to get it, but I don't understand the logic that it isn't covered by insurance. I mean, I pay insurance, and I'm getting it to prevent a bigger bill should I get exposed, so you'd think my insurance would cover it, but nope. Not even a little. I'd be happy with a partial coverage!

Again, I know I"m not the only one to complain about this - but it was really pissing me off today and I know people here will understand.

I wish it cost as much as my pets' did :laugh:

Yeah, except insurance doesn't necessarily cover much if you need rabies prophylaxis. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with that, but googling about my insurance's rabies coverage gave me a whole bunch of hits about people not having treatment covered.

Second biggest crowd I've given a talk to so I gotta make sure my moxie is up. I'm one of the few veterinarians here so I gotta represent.

Even though I'm rarely mentally nervous anymore for talks (all hesitation in public speaking was metaphorically beaten out of me years ago in residency) I still get mad involuntary shakes, especially when I'm tired and running off of caffeine. I usually have to hold my right elbow with my left hand while I use the laser pointer to stifle the quivering.

Reactions: 8 users
My tablet has decided that phantom touches on the side of the screen are really fun. It did this once before and it was a drivers issue, but I'm not sure what's setting it off right now, and we're in the beginning of finals, so I don't have time to deal with it. Ended up disabling the touch screen and so far, it's been fine, but it's frustrating to have to turn off what makes it a tablet for it to even be usable.

I wish it cost as much as my pets' did :laugh:

No kidding!! :D

Yeah, except insurance doesn't necessarily cover much if you need rabies prophylaxis. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with that, but googling about my insurance's rabies coverage gave me a whole bunch of hits about people not having treatment covered.

Yeah, when I called my insurance, she said it would be covered for exposure, but not pre-exposure. Gah!

My grandmother passed away yesterday after 10 years of dealing with cancer. I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore, but I feel horrible for my grandfather. They were married for almost 61 years. I can't even wrap my mind around what he's dealing with. I guess I don't really know why I'm posting this besides to say cancer is f***ing terrible and to get it off my chest.

My grandmother passed away yesterday after 10 years of dealing with cancer. I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore, but I feel horrible for my grandfather. They were married for almost 61 years. I can't even wrap my mind around what he's dealing with. I guess I don't really know why I'm posting this besides to say cancer is f***ing terrible and to get it off my chest.
I'm so sorry, bjeh <3
**hugs**

Big hugs bjeh. :(

@bjeh ... that is sad news. I wish I could offer some words to comfort you and your family. It doesn't feel good to lose a loved one even when you remind yourself they're no longer suffering. The people who are left behind are suffering, too. Your grandfather's heart must be aching. Very sorry.

Just took the biochem exam I had been studying really hard for for the past month. Easily the hardest exam I've taken in my life, and I know that I bombed it.

I wanna just go home and cry, but I have another exam in 2 hours, and won't be home for another 8 hours. :(

Just took the biochem exam I had been studying really hard for for the past month. Easily the hardest exam I've taken in my life, and I know that I bombed it.

I wanna just go home and cry, but I have another exam in 2 hours, and won't be home for another 8 hours. :(
No! I'm sorry Cdo! Chin up, you are still awesome and wicked smart! Hugz

I'm so sorry, bjeh <3
**hugs**

Big hugs bjeh. :(

I'm so very sorry bjeh :(

@bjeh ... that is sad news. I wish I could offer some words to comfort you and your family. It doesn't feel good to lose a loved one even when you remind yourself they're no longer suffering. The people who are left behind are suffering, too. Your grandfather's heart must be aching. Very sorry.

hugs and more hugs and more hugs for you and your family.

Thank you guys. I appreciate it

There's a financial advisor who calls car leasing "fleecing" lol. You pay out tons of money, get penalized for going over in miles, and then don't have a car at the end of it.

What my wife and I have done is buy a used car every year and then sell it. During that year, save up an amount equivalent to what you would have paid on a lease. Then, sell the car, combine your savings, and buy a better car. Your car will depreciate a little bit over the year, but not significantly. I actually sold my wife's last SUV for more than I paid for it! We have traded up from a $1,700 Honda Accord to a $7,000 pickup in the last 4 years by doing this.

Oh, and Ford Escape's are awesome. My wife is currently driving a 2007 and loves it.

Reactions: 2 users