RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of my patients who I've spent a TON of time caring for/trying to keep alive finally died today after 2 very long weeks of pure torture and suffering. It just makes me so sad that this poor animal spent 1/3rd of its life in misery and agony to not win the fight. RIP little baby, there is no more pain and sadness anymore. :(
I'm sorry jmo :(. At least you were there to give them your love and effort. I'm sure your dedication made a huge difference, no matter the outcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my patients who I've spent a TON of time caring for/trying to keep alive finally died today after 2 very long weeks of pure torture and suffering. It just makes me so sad that this poor animal spent 1/3rd of its life in misery and agony to not win the fight. RIP little baby, there is no more pain and sadness anymore. :(
@jmo1012 sorry to hear about this. It's never easy to lose a patient.

Despite the best of care and treatment (love and kindness), sometimes our patients can't hold onto life any longer, and they finally let go. Very sorry. Please know that I am sending you my kindest thoughts this week.

I'm so sorry Jmo :(. You worked so hard for that little guy and did your absolute best. I'm so sorry :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Physiology has been kicking my butt all semester and I'm sitting right at a 74 going into the final... which at this point I don't care about getting a C because I just want to be done with that class. I have gone into the professors office regularly to look over my exams, ask questions, be nice etc. Today I went into the professors office to get one last confirmation of where my grade sat going into the final, and he said something about how if I was better at paying attention in class I would do better in all my classes and would be happier with my grades overall. So I told him that, well actually, I am not struggling in any other classes, I have the ability to get straight As besides his class, if I do well on my finals next week. He was so genuinely shocked that he literally laughed and said "oh wow, I would have pegged you as a C+ student in other classes. I never would have considered you as part of the A crowd" I have never been so tempted to tell a professor to go **** themselves. I just found it so rude for him to literally laugh in my face when I said that I was capable of getting As just fine.

Physiology has been kicking my butt all semester and I'm sitting right at a 74 going into the final... which at this point I don't care about getting a C because I just want to be done with that class. I have gone into the professors office regularly to look over my exams, ask questions, be nice etc. Today I went into the professors office to get one last confirmation of where my grade sat going into the final, and he said something about how if I was better at paying attention in class I would do better in all my classes and would be happier with my grades overall. So I told him that, well actually, I am not struggling in any other classes, I have the ability to get straight As besides his class, if I do well on my finals next week. He was so genuinely shocked that he literally laughed and said "oh wow, I would have pegged you as a C+ student in other classes. I never would have considered you as part of the A crowd" I have never been so tempted to tell a professor to go **** themselves. I just found it so rude for him to literally laugh in my face when I said that I was capable of getting As just fine.
Must be a physio professor thing to be a class A jerk. One of our physio professors told my friend she should drop out of vet school because she clearly wasnt cut out for it and now she's completing a residency. You don't land top residency spots by being to stupid to be a veterinarian, professor. Ugh.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, what an ass. Pass your final and enjoy your summer. No one needs that type of attitude in their life.

Reactions: 8 users

What.a.jerk. Wow.

When you've got 2/3 of the letters of rec for a scholarship, and no one else is responding to your emails, or can meet the timeline :(

Wow! That's terrible aloha. jeeesh. I can understand, you know, if you never came to class/ ****ed around on your computer the entire time and then showed up at the last minute asking for help, but you've been trying and he still laughed at the idea of you getting A's. Ugh. Forget that guy, you deserve better! Go Aloha!!

Must be a physio professor thing to be a class A jerk. One of our physio professors told my friend she should drop out of vet school because she clearly wasnt cut out for it and now she's completing a residency. You don't land top residency spots by being to stupid to be a veterinarian, professor. Ugh.

I bet I know which professor that was

We had a physio professor last semester who was a huge jerk too. He didn't make any comments like that that I'm aware of, but he made some very uncomfortable misogynistic comments in class and had a bad habit of rolling his eyes and audibly sighing when people would ask questions. One girl in my lab group showed us the absolutely scathing evaluation she wrote about him last semester, it was great. Luckily he's the only professor here I've had a real issue with so far.

Trying to figure out how to go about being active in conversations again and having a hard time :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
When a police station publicly posts about how they "never miss an opportunity to hit a snake in the road" and then censor any backlash they get and refuse to issue an apology/acknowledge how sick and twisted that behavior is. Good to know some of our boys in blue still feel like they get to take lives with no consequence.

Odenville Police Department on FB.

Reactions: 3 users
When a police station publicly posts about how they "never miss an opportunity to hit a snake in the road" and then censor any backlash they get and refuse to issue an apology/acknowledge how sick and twisted that behavior is. Good to know some of our boys in blue still feel like they get to take lives with no consequence.

Odenville Police Department on FB.
That's terrible. I really wish people were more concerned about the welfare of reptiles (particularly snakes) in general, but they seem more interested in making a spectacle out of harming them instead.

I had this spine fusion done almost 6 weeks ago and I'm not sure I'm really ready to go back to work. Getting the pain under control has been a challenge and I've been dealing with increased temperatures that don't qualify as fevers but come with all the same symptoms (chills, sweats, malaise).

And I think there's either an abscess (potential suture reaction) or incision site infection.

My body just needs to get it together. I'm already getting pressure from doctors to go to a more part time schedule and I only work 4 days a week when I do work

I had this spine fusion done almost 6 weeks ago and I'm not sure I'm really ready to go back to work. Getting the pain under control has been a challenge and I've been dealing with increased temperatures that don't qualify as fevers but come with all the same symptoms (chills, sweats, malaise).

And I think there's either an abscess (potential suture reaction) or incision site infection.

My body just needs to get it together. I'm already getting pressure from doctors to go to a more part time schedule and I only work 4 days a week when I do work
@dyachei sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. [I'm assuming you're going to contact your physician today to r/o abscess, potential suture reaction, or incision site infection, as well as the low-grade fever and post-operative pain, eh?]

Here is a friendly reminder, from one clinician to another ... :)

It takes time to heal from spine surgery; and you're likely not ready to return to work 6 weeks later. Depending on the magnitude of your surgery, it's not uncommon to have a 4-6 month recovery time, or longer. FWIW, I often counsel patients to anticipate a 12-month recovery time for various orthopedic procedures. Some patients recover quickly (lucky them), most recover slowly but surely, and many fall in between the 6-to-12 month range. I do not want them returning to work until they're sufficiently well enough to go back to work. By the way, I don't consider 4 days a week to be part-time employment for a veterinarian (you are constantly bending, leaning, lifting, extending, standing, moving, etc). You do not have a sedentary job; and your own patients need you to be healthy, and feeling well. Just saying.

I hope you begin to feel better!!! :love:

rest.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Wtf! That's horrible. I'm sorry he was a jerk, but now you just gotta kick butt to prove him wrong :prof:

Proud of you for not letting him have it, but I wouldn't have blamed you if you had. Please update if you whip his final and land a great grade!

When one little grade ruins your whole day :) so long 4.0

@dyachei sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. [I'm assuming you're going to contact your physician today to r/o abscess, potential suture reaction, or incision site infection, as well as the low-grade fever and post-operative pain, eh?]

Here is a friendly reminder, from one clinician to another ... :)

It takes time to heal from spine surgery; and you're likely not ready to return to work 6 weeks later. Depending on the magnitude of your surgery, it's not uncommon to have a 4-6 month recovery time, or longer. FWIW, I often counsel patients to anticipate a 12-month recovery time for various orthopedic procedures. Some patients recover quickly (lucky them), most recover slowly but surely, and many fall in between the 6-to-12 month range. I do not want them returning to work until they're sufficiently well enough to go back to work. By the way, I don't consider 4 days a week to be part-time employment for a veterinarian (you are constantly bending, leaning, lifting, extending, standing, moving, etc). You do not have a sedentary job; and your own patients need you to be healthy, and feeling well. Just saying.

I hope you begin to feel better!!! :love:

View attachment 218493
I called initially and they told me they aren't worried since the temps don't qualify as "fever". So since I have an appointment monday, I'm waiting until then. If things get much worse, I have an ER I can go to.

And on the "readiness" my associate is going out of town 10-17th and relief is really hard to find here. Have been looking for months and I have found 1 day of coverage. so I probably dont have a choice. Just going to need to limit patient load

@alohacat319. We have a similar physio professor here. She calls herself the gate keeper and wants at least 2 people to flunk her class each yearh. She tried to remediate 16 people in the current 4th year class when they were 1st years.....We only have ~50 per class. She routinely tells people that they aren't meant to be vets. There was a girl in my class who had straight As in everything, but failed phys last term and she's going to repeat for next year. I'm so overjoyed to be done with that professor. It's unreal. There are vets from 27 years ago who had her and still hate her and her class. lol. You will kick that final's butt and be out of there and not have to deal with that rude professor again. You are so close. You've got this! So sorry you have to deal with any of this BS.

Reactions: 2 users
My adventure that was today (in chronological order):

1. Got 3 hours of sleep because my uterus decided to throw a temper tantrum about not having a baby in it. Finally took some meds and got to sleep at 3am. Alarm to get up went off at 4:30am.
2. Lost keys somewhere at the dairy farm. Searched for over 2 hours to no avail.
3. Due to no keys, was stranded until my mom came and gave me my spares during her lunch break. Was supposed to be shadowing a vet at a few clinics in the morning, but missed the first clinic because stranded.
4. Got chemical burns all over my forearms and a little bit on my face. (Still stinging some 12+ hours later)
5. Revenge of the uterus continues and I get blood all over my light jeans in a way that is basically impossible to hide. Of course this also happens to be a super busy vet clinic.
6. Get to next place of work 10 minutes late because of traffic. Realize I don't have my uniform boots. Also realize the company owner is there to witness me arrive late, and he has zero tolerance for tardiness.
7. Lock spare keys in truck, while parked in a 3 minute loading zone when arriving at said work.
8. Have to call a tow truck and pay $65 to get the door unlocked to retrieve keys.

Hopefully tomorrow isn't this eventful.

Reactions: 5 users

1. Got 3 hours of sleep because my uterus decided to throw a temper tantrum about not having a baby in it. Finally took some meds and got to sleep at 3am. Alarm to get up went off at 4:30am.
2. Lost keys somewhere at the dairy farm. Searched for over 2 hours to no avail.
3. Due to no keys, was stranded until my mom came and gave me my spares during her lunch break. Was supposed to be shadowing a vet at a few clinics in the morning, but missed the first clinic because stranded.
4. Got chemical burns all over my forearms and a little bit on my face. (Still stinging some 12+ hours later)
5. Revenge of the uterus continues and I get blood all over my light jeans in a way that is basically impossible to hide. Of course this also happens to be a super busy vet clinic.
6. Get to next place of work 10 minutes late because of traffic. Realize I don't have my uniform boots. Also realize the company owner is there to witness me arrive late, and he has zero tolerance for tardiness.
7. Lock spare keys in truck, while parked in a 3 minute loading zone when arriving at said work.
8. Have to call a tow truck and pay $65 to get the door unlocked to retrieve keys.

I'm really sorry about your day :( sometimes you can't catch a break. I hope tomorrow is much better. Also, screw uteruses.

Reactions: 6 users

Much love with you ❤️

How frustrating :(. Internet hugs, BBC!

Today is already worse than the entirety of yesterday.

Got into the clinic to work reception, was catching up a few Google chats and came across a few of my coworkers trash talking me. On the official clinic reception thread. The situation that started the entire thing was simply a client lying and the other receptionist believing the client automatically instead of even calling me to ask about the situation. Then she just continued being nasty, including joking about directly telling our boss so I would get in in ****.

I'm so done with all this. I'm currently sitting here at reception trying to stop crying. I know there is a ton of trash talking around here, and I can ignore that, do my job, and go on with my life. However I can't do that if I'm sitting here reading it. I've tried so so hard to stay away from all the drama, and do things they way everyone else likes and be friends with everyone I work with. I stay late all the time to get extra stuff done to help out the people working the next day. If they still hate me after that I really don't know what else I can do.

If there's one thing I've learned, soul sucking jobs with crappy people are not worth it. So sorry you've had to deal with such unkind people. It says way more about them than you.

Today is already worse than the entirety of yesterday.

Got into the clinic to work reception, was catching up a few Google chats and came across a few of my coworkers trash talking me. On the official clinic reception thread. The situation that started the entire thing was simply a client lying and the other receptionist believing the client automatically instead of even calling me to ask about the situation. Then she just continued being nasty, including joking about directly telling our boss so I would get in in ****.

I'm so done with all this. I'm currently sitting here at reception trying to stop crying. I know there is a ton of trash talking around here, and I can ignore that, do my job, and go on with my life. However I can't do that if I'm sitting here reading it. I've tried so so hard to stay away from all the drama, and do things they way everyone else likes and be friends with everyone I work with. I stay late all the time to get extra stuff done to help out the people working the next day. If they still hate me after that I really don't know what else I can do.

100% agree with reporting this. And if your boss doesn't take this seriously, then I also think it's time to move on to greener pastures.

Also if people could unquote I will probably edit this out later today. In the off chance someone from my practice happened to see all this and figure out it was me I cringe at the drama that would unfold.
I also love the tech at this clinic so much. Besides teaching me so many cool things he came up and saw me crying and hugged for me 5 minutes straight. Nicest man ever, and the only employee here who has successfully never gotten drawn into anything.

Final update:

Boss pretty much blamed the whole thing on the person who is now gone, said it won't happen again and she is sorry I had to read that. She wants to meet with me at a later time to discuss.

Also told me that I am the company scapegoat and let it slip (no one else has mentioned a word of this to me) that at the last staff meeting most people were blaming everything going wrong at both locations on me. I work 4 hours a week at one of the 2 clinics. We have a grand total of 8 staff members between the 2 clinics, so it is pretty horrible to know that almost everyone I see when I go into work has been throwing me under the bus without so much as complaining to my face. At least the two staff members I directly work with every shift like me and have apparently been saying good things.

I would tell them that they are a miserable lot, and they should enjoy each other's company. And then leave with your middle fingers firmly in the air.

Unless there is some reason this place is important to you.

Reactions: 9 users
BBC, you're an awesome person and you shouldn't have to deal with that crap. I'm so sorry. I know how hard it can be to decide to leave a paying vet job (the application hours! the experience! the LOR connections! etc) but I also know what toxic work environments are like. Your coworkers shouldn't be treating you like that and they shouldn't get away with it. I agree with TT's exit strategy. Leave those *****s, something better is around the corner. You deserve better.

So sorry BBC. :( Glad to know your boss is supporting you at least!

I am doing 90% of the appointments at work right now. Because the other doc is slow af and my passive-aggressive boss refuses to do anything that isn't surgery or one of hir own clients. But boy is boss willing to offer hir two cents on all of my ****ing cases. And housemate and I are in relationship limbo.

I screwed up at my on campus job, and one of my workers ended up spraying herbicides on nearly 1,000 dollars of native plants... My boss sent him to help so I assumed he knew what we were doing. I should have known better than to assume. Seriously I just wanted to leave on a good note and this happens when I have 5 hours left in the department... I feel like I can't do anything right today.

Now to go to my clinic job and try not to second guess myself so much that I f*** up there too...

I am doing 90% of the appointments at work right now. Because the other doc is slow af and my passive-aggressive boss refuses to do anything that isn't surgery or one of hir own clients. But boy is boss willing to offer hir two cents on all of my ****ing cases. And housemate and I are in relationship limbo.
Have you and housemate been talking about it at all, or just feeling your way along? If you haven't had a real conversation about where you see yourselves, what you want, etc, it may be time to do that.

Sorry about work :(