RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Petty rant.
Needed a bunch of random things from Lowes, most of them heavy and at opposite ends of the store.
So I placed an order online to pick up.

Got the email that everything was ready. Got there, was told it would just be a minute they had to run out back to get my stuff. Waited about 20 minutes and the guy brought a cart up with less than 25% of my order. Fast forward 30 minutes while they run around the store getting things off the shelves that had been "forgotten". More of my order makes it way to the front of the store, except, oh wait, these three things are out of stock and oh wait, we can't find somebody to operate the forklift to get this item off the top shelf. Another 30 minutes later, they bring up 1 each of the items I ordered 5 each of. So I start loading the truck waiting for the last few things which they load while I'm talking to the CSR inside. Get home and I'm still missing multiple bags of mulch. Ugh. Don't want to drive 30 minutes back to the store just to wait around more. Double UGH.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Petty rant.
Needed a bunch of random things from Lowes, most of them heavy and at opposite ends of the store.
So I placed an order online to pick up.

Got the email that everything was ready. Got there, was told it would just be a minute they had to run out back to get my stuff. Waited about 20 minutes and the guy brought a cart up with less than 25% of my order. Fast forward 30 minutes while they run around the store getting things off the shelves that had been "forgotten". More of my order makes it way to the front of the store, except, oh wait, these three things are out of stock and oh wait, we can't find somebody to operate the forklift to get this item off the top shelf. Another 30 minutes later, they bring up 1 each of the items I ordered 5 each of. So I start loading the truck waiting for the last few things which they load while I'm talking to the CSR inside. Get home and I'm still missing multiple bags of mulch. Ugh. Don't want to drive 30 minutes back to the store just to wait around more. Double UGH.
That's frustrating! :(

Petty rant.
So I placed an order online to pick up....

I just got back from a disappointing trip to Lowe's as well. They didn't have half the things I went to get and after waiting for over twenty minutes for someone to show up to cut my shelves, I left the shelves in the aisle and purchased the few things I had in my cart. There weren't many customers in the store either. Now I'm turning around and going back out to Home Depot because I have a project I'd like to finish tonight for my little bunnykins... and tomorrow is Easter Sunday so lots of places will close early or not even be open.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got back from a disappointing trip to Lowe's as well. They didn't have half the things I went to get and after waiting for over twenty minutes for someone to show up to cut my shelves, I left the shelves in the aisle and purchased the few things I had in my cart. There weren't many customers in the store either. Now I'm turning around and going back out to Home Depot because I have a project I'd like to finish tonight for my little bunnykins... and tomorrow is Easter Sunday so lots of places will close early or not even be open.

Half the reason I did the online order thing was because last time I was there, some of the things I wanted were way up high and I couldn't find a person to help me. Figured with the online thing it would get done and they could take their time and then I could pick up. Apparently not.

Began my work day with with a HBC/pneumothorax followed by a pericardial effusion and a gross abscess. It was so busy up until like 20 minutes ago and now I'm crashing.

Reactions: 1 users
Began my work day with with a HBC/pneumothorax followed by a pericardial effusion and a gross abscess. It was so busy up until like 20 minutes ago and now I'm crashing.

I have to admit, I love pericardials. Sorta. I love the fact that if you tap them they go from cold and craptastic looking to "Hey, wow, I feel great, lemme go home and eat!"

Of course, most of them are dead within hours to a week, but that's beside the fact.

11:05PM - Caller: "Um, hi, my puppy ate some rat bait. I can't sleep because I'm worried he'll die."
Tech: "Ok, well, do you know what kind of rat bait?"
Caller: "No."
Tech: "Do you know when he ingested the bait?"
Caller: "Around 1PM" [Yup. 10 hours ago. Now an emergency. Can't interrupt those Easter plans!]
Tech: "How is your dog acting?"
Caller: "Well, I'm not really sure. I haven't been watching him."
Tech: Recommends they bring the dog in for Act Charc and to start Vit K.
Caller: "I can't afford that."
Tech: ... care credit explanation

Fast-forward to caller calling back after getting declined care credit

Caller: "So you're just going to let my dog die because I can't pay for your ****ing drug?"
Tech: "No. We're recommending that you follow up with your veterinarian tomorrow to start Vit K. Their exam fee will likely be cheaper, and by then maybe you can call friends or family to help cover the cost. If your dog got into the other kind of rat bait and isn't showing signs yet, it probably wasn't enough to be toxic. So we recommend treating for the anticoagulant toxin."
Caller: "**** you" <phone slam>

Yup. The very best part of this profession is all those adoring, wonderful pet owners.....

Reactions: 13 users
11:05PM - Caller: "Um, hi, my puppy ate some rat bait. I can't sleep because I'm worried he'll die."
Caller: "Around 1PM" [Yup. 10 hours ago. Now an emergency. Can't interrupt those Easter plans!]

Caller: "So you're just going to let my dog die because I can't pay for your ****ing drug?"
Tech: "No. We're recommending that you follow up with your veterinarian tomorrow to start Vit K. Their exam fee will likely be cheaper, and by then maybe you can call friends or family to help cover the cost. If your dog got into the other kind of rat bait and isn't showing signs yet, it probably wasn't enough to be toxic. So we recommend treating for the anticoagulant toxin."

Yup. The very best part of this profession is all those adoring, wonderful pet owners.....

When I was a tech....

Me: "blah blah animal hospital after hours this is dvmd how can I help you?"

Client: "My two cats don't like each other, I keep them separated when I'm not home but someone left one of the doors open and I need to get my cat in right now, its eye looks bad."

Me: "I'm sorry to hear about your cat, unfortunately we closed at 7 (it was 715, company policy to answer the phone still). You can call xyz emergency clinic.

Client: "No, don't send me there! They take forever and are more expensive. Can't you just fit me in?"

Me: "I'm sorry but we are closed. I don't have a vet here to look at your pet. You'll have to go to the emergency clinic or I can schedule you for 8AM tomorrow morning."

Client: "No, I KNOW you have appointments, just fit me in. I can't come in tomorrow, I have to work!"

Me: "Again, we are closed. We do not have any appointments tonight as we are closed and there is no vet in the building. You will have to either seek care for your cat at the emergency clinic or find a way to bring your cat in tomorrow morning."

Client: "**** you! This is all your fault! My cat is going to lose her eye because of you! I'm never coming to your clinic again!" *hangs up*

The people that threaten to never come back....I want them to promise me that they won't.

Reactions: 6 users

Clients like this always remind me of that one Meatloaf song. "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that"

Reactions: 6 users
My favorite was the owners who complained about our pet boarding one month after they used us. Why were they complaining so long after the fact? Well, they wanted to board again but wanted it to be free. The boss lady offered some deal with a free bath, and they boarded for a long weekend. When they came back they claimed we lost a leash (they hadn't left one) and stormed out, but not before throwing the replacement lead we offered and screaming vulgar things at us.

Ah, people. At least the dog was nice.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh man, I have so many of these stories. One of my favorites from a few weeks ago: client calls and starts complaining that his dog has an ear infection and he JUST brought the dog in for an exam and vaccines so we must not have looked thoroughly in the dog's ears. I apologized and asked their name. Turns out the dog had come in 3 weeks ago. Then proceeded to tell the client that it was 3 weeks ago and ear infections can pop up overnight. Client continues to yell at me and demands to know what technicians were working that day as we obviously did not do our jobs. Told the client that since it was 3 weeks ago, it cannot have been from the exam, and that he should bring the dog in to be looked at. Client gets irate when he finds out he has to pay for a brief exam, yells some profanity at me, then hangs up...

Fun times. But at least the dog is nice?? lol

How come nobody told me that Missouri is tick hell??? My dog has a Seresto collar on so all the ones I'm finding now on him or in his bed are dead, but that doesn't really help my own poor blood (which I'd like to keep to myself) very much!!

Want to scorch the landscape tbh :boom:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How come nobody told me that Missouri is tick hell??? My dog has a Seresto collar on so all the ones I'm finding now on him or in his bed are dead, but that doesn't really help my own poor blood (which I'd like to keep to myself) very much!!

Oh god. I can't handle ticks. I don't know what it is, but I just can't. I found one on my dog while we were home alone and it took many deep breaths and some tears to run my fingers through her hair, find it again, and get it off.

There have been many many hikes where I have strongly considered putting a seresto collar on my own neck. Or one on each ankle.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh god. I can't handle ticks. I don't know what it is, but I just can't. I found one on my dog while we were home alone and it took many deep breaths and some tears to run my fingers through her hair, find it again, and get it off.
They're everywhere in Texas and I take great pleasure in killing them with extreme prejudice. We once had a pair of chihuahua puppies get brought in with so many ticks that I'm sure there was more blood in the ticks than in their little bodies. They had them covering every inch of their ears, in between their toes, on their eyelids, everywhere.

I was the only tech in that day so I showed one of our kennel staff the right way to remove them and had him go at it and it took him an hour for each dog.

I'm a baby when it comes to ticks on my dog. (And I live in Texas so that doesn't help). I came home for Christmas and I found one on my pup. I panicked and carried by dog into my parent's room and announced that he had a tick. I taught my parents proper restraining techniques, I sterilized a pair of forceps by dipping in alcohol and burning off the alcohol and removed the tick. Externally I was collected but on the inside I was freaking out and mentally going through every possible illness that could come from ticks. I'm insane when it comes to my dogs.

Also I just googled ticks on dogs and this is one of the most nauseating things I've seen in my limited veterinary experience (and I watch gooey surgery videos for fun).

nope nope nope.
50f855e8c05bb6023f3f7f2d2dc80114.jpg

Last edited:
1) nuke that picture from orbit omg
2) I have been taking pictures of all the ticks and submitting them to University of Rhode Island TickEncounter Resource Center to identify them and learn more that I'm sure I learned in vet school and have since forgotten. it's been helpful and I encourage it as a learning thing. However now I have like 15 pictures of ticks on my phone. aaaaggg

I'm a baby when it comes to ticks on my dog. (And I live in Texas so that doesn't help). I came home for Christmas and I found one on my pup. I panicked and carried by dog into my parent's room and announced that he had a tick. I taught my parents proper restraining techniques, I sterilized a pair of forceps by dipping in alcohol and burning off the alcohol and removed the tick. Externally I was collected but on the inside I was freaking out and mentally going through every possible illness that could come from ticks. I'm insane when it comes to my dogs.

Also I just googled ticks on dogs and this is one of the most nauseating things I've seen in my limited veterinary experience (and I watch gooey surgery videos for fun)
PUT THAT S*** UNDER A SPOILER TAG OMG!

1) nuke that picture from orbit omg
2) I have been taking pictures of all the ticks and submitting them to University of Rhode Island TickEncounter Resource Center to identify them and learn more that I'm sure I learned in vet school and have since forgotten. it's been helpful and I encourage it as a learning thing. However now I have like 15 pictures of ticks on my phone. aaaaggg
I have the worst goosebumps right now. Also my head is really itchy so I'm sure I've got imaginary ticks everywhere. I feel really bad for that dog though geesh. Hope pup felt better once removed!

Also I have 0.04% interest in clicking that link because ticks are the worst.

I have to admit, I love pericardials. Sorta. I love the fact that if you tap them they go from cold and craptastic looking to "Hey, wow, I feel great, lemme go home and eat!"

Of course, most of them are dead within hours to a week, but that's beside the fact.

She looked great today still. And will admit that it was an amazing feeling cause she looked so craptastic and blue and then would not sit down once she was feeling better.

I was covered in ticks today. Chasing a dog through the woods for 45 minutes. Pretty sure there is good chance I contracted Lyme disease today. But I caught the dog( we had a party out there searching for him)!

I was covered in ticks today. Chasing a dog through the woods for 45 minutes. Pretty sure there is good chance I contracted Lyme disease today. But I caught the dog( we had a party out there searching for him)!

Noooo this is the stuff of my nightmares.

I'm glad you found the dog, though!

Just got a notification from my starbucks app that someone in California just bought $46 of coffee courtesy of my preloaded gift card attached to my account. And they say that fraudulent purchases are on me, not them ('gift cards are treated as cash' blah blah blah, never mind that I've just been reloading my online account for years now rather than using an actual card) so I'm just out that $46 worth of credit. Never mind that I haven't had the physical card for over 4 years and am no where near California so it has to be a problem with hacking their system/app. I realize there are much worse things to have stolen, but this just makes me mad. Doing a major password change just to be safe.

Just got a notification from my starbucks app that someone in California just bought $46 of coffee courtesy of my preloaded gift card attached to my account. And they say that fraudulent purchases are on me, not them ('gift cards are treated as cash' blah blah blah, never mind that I've just been reloading my online account for years now rather than using an actual card) so I'm just out that $46 worth of credit. Never mind that I haven't had the physical card for over 4 years and am no where near California so it has to be a problem with hacking their system/app. I realize there are much worse things to have stolen, but this just makes me mad. Doing a major password change just to be safe.

Do you know who backs the gift card? Places like Discover cover fraudulent charges. You might want to talk to them. I'm sorry, that sucks!

Do you know who backs the gift card? Places like Discover cover fraudulent charges. You might want to talk to them. I'm sorry, that sucks!
I don't have a physical card anymore (just use the "card" via their app at this point) so don't even know where to start on that end. I called Starbucks customer support and they were not helpful, just told me to freeze the account now and they'd send me any unused balance on a new card...the whopping $1.98 that is left. Luckily I don't actually drink coffee, just a very occasional chai or something, and all of that money was from gifts from people who assume all vet students/residents are coffee dependent so I'm not out any actual money of my own, it's just frustrating. It's also lucky that I don't have a real credit/debit card attached to that account, just the gift card so the rest of my stuff should still be safe. Googling, this is a known thing that has happened before.

Last edited:
I don't have a physical card anymore (just use the card via their app at this point) so don't even know where to start on that end. I called Starbucks customer support and they were not helpful, just told me to freeze the account now and they'd send me any unused balance on a new card...the whopping $1.98 that is left. Luckily I don't actually drink coffee, just a very occasional chai or something, and all of that money was from gifts from people who assume all vet students/residents are coffee dependent so I'm not out any actual money of my own, it's just frustrating. It's also lucky that I don't have a read credit/debit card attached to that account, just the gift card so the rest of my stuff should still be safe. Googling, this is a known thing that has happened before.

Ah, sorry that happened to you.

She looked great today still. And will admit that it was an amazing feeling cause she looked so craptastic and blue and then would not sit down once she was feeling better.

Sweet!! Maybe you got that 1 in 1000 that is idiopathic and might do great for a longer time!

(Yeah, yeah, I know what the journal articles say the numbers are - I don't care, they're all hemangiosarcoma. Even after being proven otherwise.)

Last edited:
Sweet!! Maybe you got that 1 in 1000 (yeah, yeah, I know what the journal articles say the numbers are - I don't care, they're all hemangiosarcoma) that is idiopathic and might do great for a longer time!

I think she should refer to you... for a pericardiectomy. Sounds like something you'd enjoy. ;)

I think she should refer to you... for a pericardiectomy. Sounds like something you'd enjoy. ;)

My idea of doing a pericardiectomy is to wiggle the catheter around a lot with the stylet in it during the centesis and hope not to tag the actual heart too much.

Yikes, I've been using my gold card and now the app at Starbucks for years. I never have more than $20 on there at a time unless people give me gift cards, but it's connected to my debit card to automatically reload. Hopefully if someone ran up charges on my debit card my bank would need to reimburse me, I'm not sure how that would work. Gonna change my password just to be on the safe side.

Sweet!! Maybe you got that 1 in 1000 that is idiopathic and might do great for a longer time!

(Yeah, yeah, I know what the journal articles say the numbers are - I don't care, they're all hemangiosarcoma. Even after being proven otherwise.)

She had a right auricular mass so I'm hedging towards the HSA.

And had a day that led to me having to step out and bawl for a brief moment in our garden. Super crappy cases today with a total of 3 euthanasias, two of which were within minutes of each other.

You should post your pictures in The Spider Thread.

This reminds me that somewhere I have pictures of poor little baby moos covered in ticks in Kenya.

View attachment 217962

Wat. I totally understand being vegan or vegetarian if you choose, and I have zero issues with that, but... wat.
I mean, I'm not sure what you're not understanding about this. Didn't you learn about the importance of energetic frequency in digestion when you were in school???