Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For extracurricular description and manual dexterity section (NOT PS) use numbers or spell them out? I feel like numbers jump out more at someone. Also there's the character limit which calls for efficiency.

Thx lemme know what you guys did

Members don't see this ad.

Can I just manually put in transcript information and that be it? Or does the application REQUIRE one be sent from the universities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit the application, the transcripts will take a couple weeks to get approved

Once ADEA AADSAS receives the transcript in their "bin", how long does it take for the ADEA AADSAS to match it to your application (your app "check status" will say "Arrived"? Through my tracking number, I see that my mailed transcript was successfully delivered from my institution to ADEA AADSAS (as AADSAS signed off for it). Now I am just awaiting and awaiting and awaiting for my Transcript status to say "Arrived".

I called ADEA help service and I am getting discrepancy in information, so I would like to ask you guys about your knowledge about this process. How long does it take & what is process of it from arriving to getting it matched to app.

Whether you experience this personally, called ADEA yourself, or whatsoever. I just would like to clarify this. I know you can submit your app regardless of the transcript have arrived.

Once ADEA AADSAS receives the transcript in their "bin", how long does it take for the ADEA AADSAS to match it to your application (your app "check status" will say "Arrived"? Through my tracking number, I see that my mailed transcript was successfully delivered from my institution to ADEA AADSAS (as AADSAS signed off for it). Now I am just awaiting and awaiting and awaiting for my Transcript status to say "Arrived".

I called ADEA help service and I am getting discrepancy in information, so I would like to ask you guys about your knowledge about this process. How long does it take & what is process of it from arriving to getting it matched to app.

Whether you experience this personally, called ADEA yourself, or whatsoever. I just would like to clarify this. I know you can submit your app regardless of the transcript have arrived.

They're getting a **** ton of transcripts all at once right now, more than they will at any other point in the cycle. It's gonna take some time for it to process. Just be patient, you're already way ahead of the game

Reactions: 1 user
If you do the transcript ordering service that they offer in the transcript section do you still have to send an official transcript from your college?

Sorry for the flood of questions:

I teach band in multiple ensembles and groups (compensated). Are these worth noting under "Experiences" or should they be filed elsewhere. I'm just wondering if they're really relevant

Anyone know what kind of English courses would fulfill UCSF's requirement...They say they want English composition but technical/professional/creating writing doesn't count.

Can I list a dental assisting job under dental shadowing? In my description I describe the tasks that I had as part of my job (sterilizing tools, cleaning/setting up chairs, etc.) but then also describe how when I wasn't doing one of these, I was observing the dentist perform procedures. So it was kind of a combination of a job and shadowing

Last edited:
Would being in the newspaper for volunteering be considered "an honor or award"?

Did you guys add some awards under achievements that aren't really notable awards? I received a reward for participating in a few volunteer events (like participating in a healthcare pageant at my school and participating in Care Harbor LA) and I was wondering if I should include them

Can I list a dental assisting job under dental shadowing? In my description I describe the tasks that I had as part of my job (sterilizing tools, cleaning/setting up chairs, etc.) but then also describe how when I wasn't doing one of these, I was observing the dentist perform procedures. So it was kind of a combination of a job and shadowing

I had a similar situation. I had shadowing 200 hours, and assisting for two year. I listed it them as separate entries. Only problem I have now is choosing my top 6 'activities/ec/volunteer' that will show up on the summary.

Do you guys think it's better to show the 200 shadowing hours (as most schools want to you to have shadowing) or chose the volunteer assisting. Some schools that I spoke with wanted to see you possibly transition from shadowing to assisting.

It just sucks bc they can see ALL my activities/ec/volunteer but they force us to chose only 6.

thanks for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would being in the newspaper for volunteering be considered "an honor or award"?

No, not unless you specifically received an award like best editor. Also, you also said it yourself, you were volunteering.

For the DAT section, it just asks for the date of when I took it and then for my dentpin. It also asks for the scores but they list them as "optional." Is there anything we have to do other than that in order for our scores to get submitted and verified?

Did you guys add some awards under achievements that aren't really notable awards? I received a reward for participating in a few volunteer events (like participating in a healthcare pageant at my school and participating in Care Harbor LA) and I was wondering if I should include them
List scholarships, awards, dean list, honors and some specific achievement if you have received one.

If I transferred in the middle of undergrad and had my AP course equivalencies listed on both transcripts, do I only need to list my AP classes once in Transcript Entry, or do I list them for both universities? Also, when I am entering courses into Transcript Entry, how specific should I be when entering courses? For example, if I took a genetics course with a BI course code, should I list it under "genetics" or "biology"?

Is there a way to view the PDF version of the application prior to submission?

Is there a way to view the PDF version of the application prior to submission?
go to 'check status' then hit 'decision status', you should see the pdf there

Reactions: 1 users
They're getting a **** ton of transcripts all at once right now, more than they will at any other point in the cycle. It's gonna take some time for it to process. Just be patient, you're already way ahead of the game

True, I am pretty anxious. I would like to at least know the latest date it will be declared arrived so I can recognize a "Oh ****... there's something wrong" moment.

I just don't want a 2016 NBA Finals Warriors - Cavs situation; where I am ahead 3-1 in the series but a failed sent transcript ends up to my demise and King James comes back. I want to maintain in the 1st wave! I need a Kevin Durant free agent haha! But it's gucci, thanks for the help.

True, I am pretty anxious. I would like to at least know the latest date it will be declared arrived so I can recognize a "Oh ****... there's something wrong" moment.

I just don't want a 2016 NBA Finals Warriors - Cavs situation; where I am ahead 3-1 in the series but a failed sent transcript ends up to my demise and King James comes back. I want to maintain in the 1st wave! I need a Kevin Durant free agent haha! But it's gucci, thanks for the help.

You're way overthinking this (though I appreciate any mention of GSW blowing a 3-1 lead). It can take up to 3-4 weeks at the peak time (which is now) so just sit tight. If you don't see anything by early July, give them a call.

Don't talk about my boi Lebron like that. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everyone,

When I clicked "Transcript Review" it asked for the courses I retook. I selected my first failing grade attempt AND my second attempt with a passing grade. Was I supposed to select both time or just the second time I took it over? I already submitted this part and it doesn't let me go back to edit it.

Hey everyone,

When I clicked "Transcript Review" it asked for the courses I retook. I selected my first failing grade attempt AND my second attempt with a passing grade. Was I supposed to select both time or just the second time I took it over? I already submitted this part and it doesn't let me go back to edit it.
From how I understood it you were supposed to select both, thats what I did as well

have any of y'all included the leadership positions you have ran for - even if you did not win them?

Can I put that I went to pre-dental events from my local dental schools as an experience? If so what would I put as the "organization" since I went to events at two different schools. Or would I put them as two separate experiences?

For anyone that has applied to the University of Maryland - how should we go about answering the second question relating to our first contact with the school, if we have never been in contact? Should I just flat out say that I haven't spoken to anyone from the school?

have any of y'all included the leadership positions you have ran for - even if you did not win them?
definitely not, I ran for some in my pre-dent club but didn't get them, not going to include those since they weren't actual positions.

For anyone that has applied to the University of Maryland - how should we go about answering the second question relating to our first contact with the school, if we have never been in contact? Should I just flat out say that I haven't spoken to anyone from the school?

That is what I was going to do or write N/A.

So on one of my transcripts; there are two course codes before the course name.

Throughout the entire transcript the two course codes are the same for each course...

Example:

MAC2311 MAC2311 Calculus w/ analytic geom

BUTTT there are two courses where both of their course codes don't match up... it looks like this...

MAT1033 MAT1033C Intermediate Algebra

(I think the C means combined? I had to take this course in combination with a lab)

SPN1121 SPN1120 Spanish language
SPN1121 SPN1121 Spanish language

I called AADSAS and they literally said "I don't know" I sent them a copy of my transcript 3 days ago (as they advised me to) and I still haven't gotten a response.

I was thinking I should just put MAT1033C and SPN1120; what do you guys think??

I am wondering the same thing...

So I have three colleges attended, one from high school(1), one from a summer class(2), and one from where I earned my degree(3). I have three separate transcripts, but also on my degree transcript (3) it has the credits that transferred over from (1) and (2). Thing is the course ID's and titles show up different, on (3) they show up as what they counted for towards my degree not what they were actually named or labeled as at (1) and (2). How do I enter these into my application?

For the DAT section, it just asks for the date of when I took it and then for my dentpin. It also asks for the scores but they list them as "optional." Is there anything we have to do other than that in order for our scores to get submitted and verified?

Just don't put the wrong: Date when DAT was taken, DENTPIN (important not to screw this up), or DAT scores. If you don't mess that up, you should be fine with verifying that part of the app.

If I transferred in the middle of undergrad and had my AP course equivalencies listed on both transcripts, do I only need to list my AP classes once in Transcript Entry, or do I list them for both universities? Also, when I am entering courses into Transcript Entry, how specific should I be when entering courses? For example, if I took a genetics course with a BI course code, should I list it under "genetics" or "biology"?

I want to state that take my answers for grain of salt and clarify by calling ADEA AADSAS. But to the best of my knowledge, I think I would list the AP class in your main institution that you will earn your degree from. Because your AP credit is actually being used for something at that institution.

Second question, the subject dictates how ADEA will calculate your GPA. But since genetics and biology are in same overall category of biology (indicated by this website http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/G..._ADEA_AADSAS/ADEAAADSASCourseSubjects2018.pdf), I believe it shouldn't matter. I preferably would call it genetics because it is a genetics course.

Can I put that I went to pre-dental events from my local dental schools as an experience? If so what would I put as the "organization" since I went to events at two different schools. Or would I put them as two separate experiences?

ADEA AADSAS told me that it is my decision to label it however I want when I encountered that issue. Ultimately you are the one who will have to explain it to the admissions committee when you go for an interview. So titled it however you want and make sure you can back that title up.

Throughout the entire transcript the two course codes are the same for each course...

Example:

BUTTT there are two courses where both of their course codes don't match up... it looks like this...

(I think the C means combined? I had to take this course in combination with a lab)

I called AADSAS and they literally said "I don't know" I sent them a copy of my transcript 3 days ago (as they advised me to) and I still haven't gotten a response.

I would call you school/institution to clarify why there is discrepancy between each course number. From their answer, you should get an idea which one is the main course prefix/number. Then I would go with that one.

Example:

Yeah the whole transcript entering is confusing me too. What I would do is enter the first course code for algebra since it was already combined with the lab. For the spanish classes, if those two courses are listed separately, then I would enter those codes as two different courses since it looks like that on your transcript.

I personally don't think so. It doesn't fit my definition of any of the types listed.

But if you think so, do it. Just be prepared to explain yourself as to why its important to you. And also acknowledge that schools may disregard that experience or it may even hurt your app because they won't think it is an experience.

I am confused on the "Subject" section when entering your courses from your transcript. I did an internship for shadowing dentists that counted for credit at my school and is listed on my transcript. Would I choose "Dentistry" as the "subject" since I am required to choose something form the drop-down list for this section? I can't find anything else that I could choose besides dentistry since it was an internship involving dentistry?

For those who submitted their application, can you guys check if you have a coversheet on your pdf application?

An ADEA AADSAS help person said I didn't have a coversheet upon reviewing my downloadable pdf application that will be sent to schools. This pdf is located in "Check Status", "My Programs", and right under the dental school there should be "Download Pdf" button to download your pdf. Let me know

Does it look bad to have your application be undelivered to fix a quick grammar mistake? Then submit it again

So I have three colleges attended, one from high school(1), one from a summer class(2), and one from where I earned my degree(3). I have three separate transcripts, but also on my degree transcript (3) it has the credits that transferred over from (1) and (2). Thing is the course ID's and titles show up different, on (3) they show up as what they counted for towards my degree not what they were actually named or labeled as at (1) and (2). How do I enter these into my application?
I had a similar situation. AADSAS had me enter each as a separate college, even though all my courses show up on my degree transcript. They also had me submit official transcripts for each institution. You should just give them a call to make sure you do everything right - they are super understanding of tricky situations like this. The number I called is listed at the bottom left-hand corner of the AADSAS website 617-612-2045

Anyone having trouble logging in today? I've tried a few different browsers but it seems like the "sign in" button doesn't take me anywhere. I can select "create an account" or "forgot username or password" and those seem to be active links but no movement when I select "Sign in."

I had a similar situation. AADSAS had me enter each as a separate college, even though all my courses show up on my degree transcript. They also had me submit official transcripts for each institution. You should just give them a call to make sure you do everything right - they are super understanding of tricky situations like this. The number I called is listed at the bottom left-hand corner of the AADSAS website 617-612-2045
thank you! I will give them a call

Can I e submit the application and then add schools? or do I have to finish all the program materials and secondaries before e -submitting? So confused!

Do schools even look at our application without secondary/supplementary questions? Without these, are our applications completed and ready to be looked at? Bc many ppl I talked to did their secondary apps during July and was wondering if that was too late?

Kinda scared to e-submit... Are we really allowed to without finishing the fourth quadrant?