Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took the DAT last year and sent my scores to 3 schools. I didn't get in, so I'm taking the DAT again in August, but I want to apply ASAP and let the schools know I'll be retaking the DAT. I'm applying to more schools this year. Do I need to send in my official report from 2016 to the new schools? Or does ADEA AADDSAS already have my scores to send to them? It's expensive so I don't want to make a mistake.

21AA/18PA
GPA 3.47

Members don't see this ad.

For everyone in same situation as me: I took the DAT last yJuly and have not retaken it, so I wanted to know if I needed to pay to send my official DAT scores to schools. I called the number at the bottom of the AADSAS application and the representative told me that I did not need to pay, and that the official DAT scores should be visible in AADSAS sometime in the next few days . If someone in the same situation would like to affirm this by calling AADSAS with the same question, I'm sure we would all appreciate it :)
I got the same answer.

I got academic credit for my year of research, so I know I'm not supposed to include it in my application, but I presented it at a poster session and at my school's undergraduate research forum and I want to include these presentations on my application. In the application instructions FAQ they say "Where can I report my publications or presentations? There is no place on the application specifically for publications as the dental schools have not requested that this be documented on ADEA AADSAS. If you wish to include this type of activity, you may be able to list them in the “Achievements” section of the application, if appropriate." So do you think the presentation would count as an award or honor? (I know it wouldn't be scholarship)

Also when filling out an experience, since "received academic credit" is an option to describe the details of it, why do they not want us to include research that we received credit for? It just seems weird since they provide that option that would accurately describe it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got academic credit for my year of research, so I know I'm not supposed to include it in my application, but I presented it at a poster session and at my school's undergraduate research forum and I want to include these presentations on my application. In the application instructions FAQ they say "Where can I report my publications or presentations? There is no place on the application specifically for publications as the dental schools have not requested that this be documented on ADEA AADSAS. If you wish to include this type of activity, you may be able to list them in the “Achievements” section of the application, if appropriate." So do you think the presentation would count as an award or honor? (I know it wouldn't be scholarship)

Also when filling out an experience, since "received academic credit" is an option to describe the details of it, why do they not want us to include research that we received credit for? It just seems weird since they provide that option that would accurately describe it
I am in the exact same situation. If anyone out there has an answer for this, that would be much appreciated!

Reactions: 2 users
hi friends, when we select our prerequisite courses for each school, do we only select the classes that are specifically required or can we select everything that we've taken that is within that subject (i.e. selecting BIO I/II vs selecting BIO I/II, microbiology, anatomy & physiology, etc...)?

THANK YOU!

What did you guys do if you were on the eboard of a club/organization/greek life that also had a lot of service attached... would we list as Extracurricular or Volunteer?
I don't want to double-dip, but like also want to make sure its clear what I was doing. I'm sure tons are in this situation, so just seeing what else everyone did.

What did you guys do if you were on the eboard of a club/organization/greek life that also had a lot of service attached... would we list as Extracurricular or Volunteer?
I don't want to double-dip, but like also want to make sure its clear what I was doing. I'm sure tons are in this situation, so just seeing what else everyone did.
I had a lot of overlap in my extracurriculars too, so I made a decision to put it under one category and I explained that I did service through that organization under description.

hi friends, when we select our prerequisite courses for each school, do we only select the classes that are specifically required or can we select everything that we've taken that is within that subject (i.e. selecting BIO I/II vs selecting BIO I/II, microbiology, anatomy & physiology, etc...)?
THANK YOU!
I am wondering this too, some of the schools have their prerequisites separated as "biology I" "biology II" "general chemistry I" etc. so I get for those they just want the general classes, not upper level bio like anatomy or physiology, but then another just has "biology" and then a separate one for anatomy, so I'm wondering if for the biology category I would include all the courses that fall under biology on the ADEA AADSAS Course Subject List or if they just want the general bio classes

I had a lot of overlap in my extracurriculars too, so I made a decision to put it under one category and I explained that I did service through that organization under description.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Or vice-versa, putting it as a volunteer-based org and explaining that I had a leadership role. Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I was consistent with everyone lol

I have the same question too! It just seems weird to me if I list my publications under "award" or "honor"...

Filling out the pre-req stuff for each school. Just wondering what everyone else did, did you only put down classes in sequence that fulfill the requirement? Or did you put down all classes that fulfill the requirement (bio for example).

Also, do I put down 3 courses for Ochem if I retook the class at another school or can I just put down two?

Hello, I am trying to help my friend apply this year and I've been hearing that the supplementals are sort of combined. Can someone please explain this to me a bit? Is one required to fill out the supplementals before applying? Thanks!!!!

Filling out the pre-req stuff for each school. Just wondering what everyone else did, did you only put down classes in sequence that fulfill the requirement? Or did you put down all classes that fulfill the requirement (bio for example).

Also, do I put down 3 courses for Ochem if I retook the class at another school or can I just put down two?
I'm not sure about which classes to put down, I had the same question. But for the Ochem question, I also retook one of them at a different school and took a W at my school, I included all 3

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Inorganic chemistry = general chemistry?

Hello, I am trying to help my friend apply this year and I've been hearing that the supplementals are sort of combined. Can someone please explain this to me a bit? Is one required to fill out the supplementals before applying? Thanks!!!!
If you select 'program materials' that list all of the schools you're interested in applying to, select any one of the schools.

If your school asks for a supplemental, in addition to your primary app, you'll see a third tab under 'questions'.

Some of these questions are simple questionnaires, but others are full fledge supplementals that ask for more personal questions that require some length.

Hope this helps!

Does anyone know what to write in the "personal message/notes" box for evaluation requests?

Regardless if you have a casual relationship with your evaluators or not, I'd keep it brief and tell them something like,

'thank you for taking the time to write me a LoR that will have an important impact on my hopes of becoming a dentist and what I wish to accomplish.'

Since you have to include a deadline, I'd also mention something like,

'Since I'm hoping to submit everything early, I've given myself a deadline date on ____ to keep me motivated and on task.'

That way they won't be taken aback when they realized they have till next week to submit.
Hopefully you've asked all your evaluators ahead of time and they are ready to submit immediately.

Regardless if you have a casual relationship with your evaluators or not, I'd keep it brief and tell them something like,

'thank you for taking the time to write me a LoR that will have an important impact on my hopes of becoming a dentist and what I wish to accomplish.'

Since you have to include a deadline, I'd also mention something like,

'Since I'm hoping to submit everything early, I've given myself a deadline date on ____ to keep me motivated and on task.'

That way they won't be taken aback when they realized they have till next week to submit.
Hopefully you've asked all your evaluators ahead of time and they are ready to submit immediately.
So the way my school does it is that we have a health professions office that collects all of the letters for you (kind of like interfolio) and then they send them all together and tell you to list it as a committee letter even if it's not.
Btw, do you know if schools see the personal message? I feel like I didn't make it as nice and flowery as you described it lol

So the way my school does it is that we have a health professions office that collects all of the letters for you (kind of like interfolio) and then they send them all together and tell you to list it as a committee letter even if it's not.
Btw, do you know if schools see the personal message? I feel like I didn't make it as nice and flowery as you described it lol

That's interesting and nice in consolidating all your science LoRs if you have other evaluators that you'd like to write you a LoR.

Unless the individuals in these health professions office are writing these letters for you ( I'm guessing they're not and are probably just attaching your evaluator's letters to the link that gets sent to them), I'd keep it curt and formal.

Since you've already sent it, I'm sure it'll be fine. If you have a good relationship with your evaluators, I'm sure they'll be understanding of your urgency and that you may be under a bit of stress when getting everything together.

Good luck!

That's interesting and nice in consolidating all your science LoRs if you have other evaluators that you'd like to write you a LoR.

Unless the individuals in these health professions office are writing these letters for you ( I'm guessing they're not and are probably just attaching your evaluator's letters to the link that gets sent to them), I'd keep it curt and formal.

Since you've already sent it, I'm sure it'll be fine. If you have a good relationship with your evaluators, I'm sure they'll be understanding of your urgency and that you may be under a bit of stress when getting everything together.

Good luck!
Hey thanks a lot for your replies, I appreciate it. Best of luck to you as well!

I am so confused about reporting official DAT scores. Is there anything we have to do to have our official DAT scores sent to AADSAS if we've already taken the DAT? Do we request them our are they automatically sent to schools via your DENTPIN?

I have the same question too! It just seems weird to me if I list my publications under "award" or "honor"...
Are we not supposed to put the research presentation under the research catergory?

Are we not supposed to put the research presentation under the research catergory?
Under the "research" category would be the ideal place to put it! The only problem is that with the 600 character limit, it is difficult to include both publication and the description of duties in the same box -- I think that is the main reason why people are asking if we can put research presentations/publications under the "achievement" section.

Under the "research" category would be the ideal place to put it! The only problem is that with the 600 character limit, it is difficult to include both publication and the description of duties in the same box -- I think that is the main reason why people are asking if we can put research presentations/publications under the "achievement" section.

Question I was unsure myself before someone provided an answer to mine's regarding this.

If you received an award or honor for the research, then put it under award and honors. If you did not receive an award or honor for your research, then put it under my experience.

Listing Research Paper as Achievement?

However, the ADEAADSAS instructions mentions this,

Where can I report my publications or presentations?
There is no place on the application specifically for publications as the dental schools have not requested that this be documented on ADEA AADSAS. If you wish to include this type of activity, you may be able to list them in the “Achievements” section of the application, if appropriate.

For me personally, I put it under 'experience' and will be mentioning my publication there.
Use your discretion on where you want to place it and how you'll word it.

I have a questions about GPA since everyone keeps talking about oGPA,sGPA, bcpGPA.
Where can I see these GPA's? I've completed the transcripts, however, am I going to see the GPA's that the AADSAS computes? Does that happen after the transcripts are verified? Or do I never see any GPA on my application?

Thx

Question I was unsure myself before someone provided an answer to mine's regarding this.

There is no place on the application specifically for publications as the dental schools have not requested that this be documented on ADEA AADSAS. If you wish to include this type of activity, you may be able to list them in the “Achievements” section of the application, if appropriate.

For me personally, I put it under 'experience' and will be mentioning my publication there.
Thanks! This is helpful!

I have a questions about GPA since everyone keeps talking about oGPA,sGPA, bcpGPA.
Where can I see these GPA's? I've completed the transcripts, however, am I going to see the GPA's that the AADSAS computes? Does that happen after the transcripts are verified? Or do I never see any GPA on my application?

Thx

You'll be able to see all those once AADSAS is done verifying. You'll receive an email notification when verification is complete.

Reactions: 1 users
Inputting my course codes; I noticed my university has them listed as "CHM 2211" for example; but my state college as them listed as "CHM2211". Should I write them exactly like they're shown or just mush them all together and leave 'em without a space?

Inputting my course codes; I noticed my university has them listed as "CHM 2211" for example; but my state college as them listed as "CHM2211". Should I write them exactly like they're shown or just mush them all together and leave 'em without a space?
i mushed them together but i cant imagine it matters that much

But I got academic credit for my research, and in the instructions it specifically says: Research projects done in addition to classroom work; research should NOT appear as credit on a school transcript. So that's why I looked at how they said to put publications or presentations in achievements. I did get an undergraduate research award so I put that in achievements, I just don't know where to put the presentations that I did since I'm not supposed to put my overall research in experiences. Filling out the experience form for a presentation doesn't really work well. Do you think presenting research could be considered an honor within the achievements section? The reason that I presented my research the second time was because anyone who got the undergraduate research award was asked to present at the undergraduate research forum.

Hi all - two questions:

1. Do we ever actually calculate our undergrad and science GPAs and input them somewhere? I feel like we're always talking about them on these forums, so I was surprised when I didn't see anywhere to input them into the application.

2. Can I "submit" before all my rec letters are uploaded or do I need to wait until they are all there?

Hi all - two questions:

1. Do we ever actually calculate our undergrad and science GPAs and input them somewhere? I feel like we're always talking about them on these forums, so I was surprised when I didn't see anywhere to input them into the application.

2. Can I "submit" before all my rec letters are uploaded or do I need to wait until they are all there?

1. AADSAS will calculate all the GPA's for you once you submit the application and they're done with verification. You yourself are not going to calculate them.
2. Yes

Hi all - two questions:

You're on SDN, there's a lot of ambitious types who calculate their sGPA and oGPA on their own. You have to input all your grades into AADSAS and your GPA won't appear on AADSAS until all they get your transcripts and your grades are verified

1. AADSAS will calculate all the GPA's for you once you submit the application and they're done with verification. You yourself are not going to calculate them.
2. Yes
Which one are you saying Yes to? That it can be submitted before they're all there? Or that it can't? (Sorry for the dumb question!)

I've heard that aadsas only takes online transcripts from 2 websites but people from my school have sent it through other website such as "National Student Clearinghouse" and such previous years. So have they started to be picky this year or can I still use that website?

Which one are you saying Yes to? That it can be submitted before they're all there? Or that it can't? (Sorry for the dumb question!)

Lol sorry for the confusion. Yes, you can submit before all your rec letters are uploaded.

On the application it lists "Dental shadowing" as an option to add for experiences. I worked in a dental office for a few years helping to log patient files and helping out around the office. I also frequently shadowed. This was a paid position, so I'm unsure whether or not to classify this as "dental shadowing" or "employment". What do you guys think? Does it matter?

I've heard that aadsas only takes online transcripts from 2 websites but people from my school have sent it through other website such as "National Student Clearinghouse" and such previous years. So have they started to be picky this year or can I still use that website?

My university also uses National Student Clearinghouse but that's the info I got from the website. I think I'll just use the snail mail route :(

From the website: Academic history : GoDental
ADEA AADSAS only accepts transcripts electronically from the Credentials Solutions and Parchment electronic transcript services. If your school does not use these services, you must provide your transcripts to ADEA AADSAS via paper mail using the instructions above.

CREDENTIALS SOLUTIONS:

Click here to see if your school offers the Credentials Solutions Service: https://www.credentials-inc.com/cgi-bin/dvcgitp.pgm?ALUMTROLIAISN

If your school does participate, please follow this link for instructions on how to proceed: http://www.transcriptsplus.net/order

PARCHMENT:

Click here to see if your school offers the Parchment Service: http://www.parchment.com/all-schools/

If your school does participate, please follow this link for instructions on how to proceed: http://www.parchment.com/order/

On the application it lists "Dental shadowing" as an option to add for experiences. I worked in a dental office for a few years helping to log patient files and helping out around the office. I also frequently shadowed. This was a paid position, so I'm unsure whether or not to classify this as "dental shadowing" or "employment". What do you guys think? Does it matter?
you were paid for it, so it is employment.

you were paid for it, so it is employment.
Thanks. Makes sense. But the shadowing part was not paid. Would it make sense to double dip in this case? Those were a lot of hours of shadowing and I want to make that stand out.

Thanks. Makes sense. But the shadowing part was not paid. Would it make sense to double dip in this case? Those were a lot of hours of shadowing and I want to make that stand out.

You could say you also shadowed in the description box.

HELP Where do you input the leadership positions you've held? Does it go under experiences or achievements? Things like position held in the pre-dental club or in student body government? Just confused because it feels like everything goes under experiences despite only being allowed to input 6 experiences max, and I'm not sure what to put under achievements.

Then separate the two, count up the number you shadowed and create a different entry for employment.

HELP Where do you input the leadership positions you've held? Does it go under experiences or achievements? Things like position held in the pre-dental club or in student body government? Just confused because it feels like everything goes under experiences despite only being allowed to input 6 experiences max, and I'm not sure what to put under achievements.
You can list as many experiences as you would like, there's only a limit of 6 with highlighting them (the star on the left) on your "cover page", so to speak.

I listed clubs in experiences (extracurricular) then put the position as my title and explained it in the description box.

My university also uses National Student Clearinghouse but that's the info I got from the website. I think I'll just use the snail mail route :(

From the website: Academic history : GoDental
ADEA AADSAS only accepts transcripts electronically from the Credentials Solutions and Parchment electronic transcript services. If your school does not use these services, you must provide your transcripts to ADEA AADSAS via paper mail using the instructions above.

CREDENTIALS SOLUTIONS:

Click here to see if your school offers the Credentials Solutions Service: https://www.credentials-inc.com/cgi-bin/dvcgitp.pgm?ALUMTROLIAISN

If your school does participate, please follow this link for instructions on how to proceed: http://www.transcriptsplus.net/order

PARCHMENT:

Click here to see if your school offers the Parchment Service: http://www.parchment.com/all-schools/

If your school does participate, please follow this link for instructions on how to proceed: http://www.parchment.com/order/
Did you contact adea and ask if they really won't take transcripts from any other websites?

I double dipped because the place I shadow is also where I've done ~ 50 hrs of assisting. I just made sure to separate the hours. Is this frowned upon?

It is true that the application makes you state your top 5 schools this year?

I looked over my app several times before submitting, and then submitted today. But, I looked back over it again and there were a couple small errors I somehow missed... I think they would be hard to spot if you were just reading like regular though; bust still, dang.
What are the chances if I call first thing tomorrow they allow me to fix my errors?

When I downloaded my application it just says unofficial dat scores in the standardized test section and shows my scores... Does it just say unofficial because the schools have to verify it?