Pitt vs. Stony Brook (In-State)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollowYears

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm assuming I won't get need-based grants from either school because I didn't get any for undergrad, and my family income is upper-middle class (150-200k combined). I have a sibling going to college, though, so I don't know how much that would affect this.

I'm interested in a competitive specialty, and I don't want to close any doors. Pitt's about 51k in tuition, and Stony's about 38k in tuition. Right now, I'm planning on commuting to Stony, but I don't know how realistic that actually would be - I live about 30 minutes from Stony without traffic.

Assuming I commute to Stony, the price difference would be about 20k per year - ~40k a year for Stony vs. ~60k a year for Pitt (so about an 80k difference before interest).

What does everyone think? I know that people usually change their minds about specialty choice in med school, but I've also heard it's worthwhile to give yourself every advantage possible if you're interested in a competitive specialty.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt. When did SUNYs get so expensive, I have a family member who attended one for way less in the 80s. Anyway, you are not saving enough at Stony Brook to justify going there, so go to Pitt! You can't beat Pitt's reputation too!

Honestly I'd save that money and go to Stonybrook. Your school name is not going to close any doors, the majority of the work has to come from you regardless of where you go. And when you'll be saving over 100k with interest, that's a pretty substantial chunk of change to not have to pay back.

Money and prestige aside, however, which school are you pulled towards more?

You also have another like 2 months before you really have to make this decision...

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt! But I am biased. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I'd save that money and go to Stonybrook. Your school name is not going to close any doors, the majority of the work has to come from you regardless of where you go. And when you'll be saving over 100k with interest, that's a pretty substantial chunk of change to not have to pay back.

Money and prestige aside, however, which school are you pulled towards more?

You also have another like 2 months before you really have to make this decision...

You're totally right - I'm happy I've got a lot of time to mull on this haha. Still, I like to prepare for the worst possible scenarios.

My gut instinct is that I'd like Pitt more; the facilities and opportunities available were fantastic, and the student body seemed a lot happier. At the same time, I don't know how reliable this is. @NickNaylor has written a lot of posts about how it might not be the smartest thing to go off of interview day instincts (i.e. from being on a campus for about 10 hours). I also think I'm pretty adaptable and that I'd make the best of wherever I went.

At the same time, I don't know how well I'd handle commuting 30-45 minutes each way every day to Stony Brook (especially during 2nd and 3rd years). Right now it sounds like it'd be doable, but I have no way of really knowing, and I'd rather not find out I hate it when it's too late to pick otherwise.

Right now, I don't have any real preference between living with my parents vs. living with roommates for the next four years, either.

If you're able, go to both Second Looks. You get to interact with more current students and it's less formal than interview day. I believe Pitt's is April 15.

Pitt! But I am biased. :)

I picked up all my things and moved to Pittsburgh two years ago without knowing anyone. Cost of living is apparently pretty low compared to most cities. The campus is beautiful, the city is hauntingly beautiful even if the hills suck. The atmosphere is great- I grew up near a city that lived for its college football team- and Steelers/Pens/Pirates fans run pretty rampant in the city. It's a blast to walk down in the strip district for groceries, listen to "Black and Yellow" reverberate throughout the stores on a game day.

If you've never moved to a city where you don't know anyone, I suggest you do so- it really helps you realize who you are as a person (at least it did for me). But I'm also biased as Pitt is my massive, massive reach school and #1 pick. Pittsburgh is a healthcare mecca with one of the highest geriatric populations and UPMC and highmark battling it out between each other.

And you can't help but pick up some of the Pittsburghese. I've never had a dialect before now and I love to go DAHNTAHN to watch the STILLERS play.

Full disclosure, I'm currently on the waitlist at Pitt, and it's way up there as one of my top choices.

That said-- I interviewed at both and I liked Pittsburgh a lot more than I did Stony Brook (I am also a NY resident). Student-wise, everyone seemed happier in general, and when I asked about classes and school stuff, Pitt students had a lot more good to say than the students I talked to at Stony Brook. Although to be fair this is only the second year of SB's LEARN curriculum so they're still working out some issues - as my host said, everyone has something to complain about and more often than not they blame the new curriculum for it even though these complaints are more about med school in general and not curriculum-specific (hope that made sense).

I think Pitt has a lot more opportunities to offer, and location-wise, there just seemed to be more going on there than in the suburban area Stony Brook is in. SB is close to NYC, but for someone without a car, that's still 2 hours by train. I also agree with @Ismet - attend Second Look if you can. Stony's is a one-day thing on April 14th, if I remember correctly.

I hate the NY Rangers, so don't go to Stony Brook lol.

I picked up all my things and moved to Pittsburgh two years ago without knowing anyone. Cost of living is apparently pretty low compared to most cities. The campus is beautiful, the city is hauntingly beautiful even if the hills suck. The atmosphere is great- I grew up near a city that lived for its college football team- and Steelers/Pens/Pirates fans run pretty rampant in the city. It's a blast to walk down in the strip district for groceries, listen to "Black and Yellow" reverberate throughout the stores on a game day.

If you've never moved to a city where you don't know anyone, I suggest you do so- it really helps you realize who you are as a person (at least it did for me). But I'm also biased as Pitt is my massive, massive reach school and #1 pick. Pittsburgh is a healthcare mecca with one of the highest geriatric populations and UPMC and highmark battling it out between each other.

And you can't help but pick up some of the Pittsburghese. I've never had a dialect before now and I love to go DAHNTAHN to watch the STILLERS play.
Yes STILLERS!!!! I definitely agree about getting out and trying new things. I am SOOO EXCITED to move to Pittsburgh. I have had enough of LA. It makes it easier that I have been a Steelers fan all my life because my dad grew up in a steel mill shanty town. Loved the school and everything it has to offer. I also got a good sense of them actually caring about the well-being of their students.

Why would the difference only be $80K? Pitt is about $75K/yr with living expenses added. That's a $120K difference. Definitely Stony and definitely commute.

(Just to illustrate the difference, that is $160K in debt vs $300K if you just pay tuition to Stony)

Last edited:
I would not commute to Stony Brook if you live 30 mins away without traffic. If you do decide to go to stony, for your own sake you should really get an apartment within 10-15 minutes of campus. There is SO much traffic. I have friends who live in Port Jeff (which is really only 10 minutes away) but it can sometimes take them 30 minutes to get to stony if it's during rush hour. Depending on the time of day it can also take a while to find parking on campus. I just can't imagine having to deal with the commute you will face while in med school. Med school is stressful enough already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not commute to Stony Brook if you live 30 mins away without traffic. If you do decide to go to stony, for your own sake you should really get an apartment within 10-15 minutes of campus. There is SO much traffic. I have friends who live in Port Jeff (which is really only 10 minutes away) but it can sometimes take them 30 minutes to get to stony if it's during rush hour. Depending on the time of day it can also take a while to find parking on campus. I just can't imagine having to deal with the commute you will face while in med school. Med school is stressful enough already.
I live 30mins from SBU and the house at the end of my block is rented by SBU students since I live in a poorer/cheaper area. Commuting is definitely worth free housing

I live 30mins from SBU and the house at the end of my block is rented by SBU students since I live in a poorer/cheaper area. Commuting is definitely worth free housing

undergrad or med school? Commuting as an undergrad is not an issue, but commuting as a med student is an entirely different story. My friend commuted to stony as a med student (lived with his parents) and said it was the worst decision he ever made. He said it took an hour and a half of precious time out of each day and his performance and mental health suffered. of course this is just one person, but still I don't think commuting is the best decision for everyone. For some it may be worth free housing, for others it might not.

undergrad or med school? Commuting as an undergrad is not an issue, but commuting as a med student is an entirely different story. My friend commuted to stony as a med student (lived with his parents) and said it was the worst decision he ever made. He said it took an hour and a half of precious time out of each day and his performance and mental health suffered. of course this is just one person, but still I don't think commuting is the best decision for everyone. For some it may be worth free housing, for others it might not.
They are med students, sorry I thought I put that, hahah. They were 3rd years when I met them

They are med students, sorry I thought I put that, hahah. They were 3rd years when I met them

ah ok well I'm glad to hear that they had a more positive experience with commuting than my friend. although since he lived with his parents I think that also played a role in his misery haha.

anyway, to the OP - this is a tough decision. I agree with what others have said about attending second look at each school before making your final decision.

Just to clarify, since I feel like I was a little abrupt in my first post, I think fit and feel are important considerations for choosing a school. I had a scholarship offer from another school that would have made it 40K cheaper than Pitt (pre-interest) over 4 years. It was certainly a factor in my decision (and people told me to go with the cheaper school) but I felt like I fit in much better at Pitt, especially after 2nd look. Most of the people I met at Second Look ended up being in my class, so that was nice too! If you feel more drawn to and feel like you'd be distinctly happier at one school vs the other, then that should be a factor.

However, the money gap is huge in your case, and that's why I initially said I would side with the cheaper school, if you felt equally about the two schools. I don't think "prestige" should play a huge role because SB is a great school and you won't face any closed doors due to school name.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes STILLERS!!!! I definitely agree about getting out and trying new things. I am SOOO EXCITED to move to Pittsburgh. I have had enough of LA. It makes it easier that I have been a Steelers fan all my life because my dad grew up in a steel mill shanty town. Loved the school and everything it has to offer. I also got a good sense of them actually caring about the well-being of their students.

I would seriously love to go here. Just have to destroy my MCAT when I take it. Just makes it so much easier on my relationship with my fiancé as he is an electrical worker in the union and can't move easily. I was a little uneasy about the city at first but I now love it. Been slowly adapting to becoming a steelers fan (in central Ohio we don't care a bit about the bengals or Browns, all about the buckeyes baby) as I had no NFL affiliation before. That's exciting you're coming back to da burgh though! I'm sure I'll always have a soft spot for this city.

Sorry OP... Off topic

I would seriously love to go here. Just have to destroy my MCAT when I take it. Just makes it so much easier on my relationship with my fiancé as he is an electrical worker in the union and can't move easily. I was a little uneasy about the city at first but I now love it. Been slowly adapting to becoming a steelers fan (in central Ohio we don't care a bit about the bengals or Browns, all about the buckeyes baby) as I had no NFL affiliation before. That's exciting you're coming back to da burgh though! I'm sure I'll always have a soft spot for this city.

Sorry OP... Off topic
I am actually from LA or more specifically, I am a valley girl. My dad just grew up there. First time in Pittsburgh was for the interview and I enjoyed it. I am sorry you are a Buckeye. Go Blue! :)

I am actually from LA or more specifically, I am a valley girl. My dad just grew up there. First time in Pittsburgh was for the interview and I enjoyed it. I am sorry you are a Buckeye. Go Blue! :)

Oh you will LOVE it then! If you have any questions about the city/fun places to go please feel free to PM me! I've made it my goal to go to a new restaurant and do something new at least once a month to get to know the city better. And I'm gonna ignore that blue comment... :coldfeet:

Please go to Pitt, do it for Farva. It is not like you are getting a full ride at Stony Brook. Otherwise, go to Stony Brook.

Why would the difference only be $80K? Pitt is about $75K/yr with living expenses added. That's a $120K difference. Definitely Stony and definitely commute.

(Just to illustrate the difference, that is $160K in debt vs $300K if you just pay tuition to Stony)

Of the 75,000 CoA from their website (http://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/financial-aid/)

1) 52,306 is for tuition and fees.
2) 4000 is for insurance (waivable, since I'll be on my parents' insurance until I'm 26)
3) 2000 is for books and supplies
4) 17,190 is for living expenses - This seems like a LOT for Pittsburgh. Three people I know who go to Pitt say that I could live reasonably well for 8000 per year.
5) 425 for loan origination and insurance fees

So 52306 + 2000 + 8000 + 425 = 62731 ~ 60,000 (the number I got).

For Stony Brook, it seems to be (https://medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/ugme/financialaid):

1) 41400 is for tuition and fees (...their "fees" are weirdly high)
2) 2,160 for books and supplies
3) 3000 for transportation is my guesstimate (gas, car maintenance, parking).

So 41,400 + 2,160 + 3000 = 46,560.

Which comes out to a difference of about 16,000 per year. Assuming I don't end up hating the commute and rent a place closer, which would narrow the gap even more. Also assuming that these figures I came up with are reasonable :rolleyes:

Of the 75,000 CoA from their website (http://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/financial-aid/)

1) 52,306 is for tuition and fees.
2) 4000 is for insurance (waivable, since I'll be on my parents' insurance until I'm 26)
3) 2000 is for books and supplies
4) 17,190 is for living expenses - This seems like a LOT for Pittsburgh. Three people I know who go to Pitt say that I could live reasonably well for 8000 per year.
5) 425 for loan origination and insurance fees

So 52306 + 2000 + 8000 + 425 = 62731 ~ 60,000 (the number I got).

For Stony Brook, it seems to be (https://medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/ugme/financialaid):

1) 41400 is for tuition and fees (...their "fees" are weirdly high)
2) 2,160 for books and supplies
3) 3000 for transportation is my guesstimate (gas, car maintenance, parking).

So 41,400 + 2,160 + 3000 = 46,560.

Which comes out to a difference of about 16,000 per year. Assuming I don't end up hating the commute and rent a place closer, which would narrow the gap even more. Also assuming that these figures I came up with are reasonable :rolleyes:
8000 could cover rent, but you need to add in utilities, food, personal expenses, and commute.

But you seem to be overestimating SBU and underestimating Pitt, so I guess that gives you your answer as to where you want to go

Yeah, the actual difference between the two will probably end up being a little more than $80K. To me, that is substantial. $80K could end up being $160K with interest. $160K could add another 3-4years of paying back loans

Last edited:
8000 could cover rent, but you need to add in utilities, food, personal expenses, and commute.

But you seem to be overestimating SBU and underestimating Pitt, so I guess that gives you your answer as to where you want to go

Yeah, the actual difference between the two will probably end up being a little more than $80K. To me, that is substantial. $80K could end up being $160K with interest. $160K could add another 3-4years of paying back loans

I am (probably unreasonably) looking at the houses on the Pittsburgh Craigslist that cost about 300-400 a month. Also assuming that I'll continue to live off of $200 a month for personal expenses (as I did in college). Then again, life happens - those post-exam parties probably cost a hefty bar fee lol

I guess my biggest concern at this point is how much going to Pitt vs. Stony Brook would help me get into competitive residency programs. From what I've read (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf), the actual reputation of your medical school isn't SUPER important for residencies: fewer than half of residency directors considered school reputation, and those who did weighed it a 3.8/5 (although Step 1 score received a 4.1/5).

At the same time, "letters of recommendation in the specialty" is the second most important factor, and I've heard that having a letter from a well-known attending can really make a huge impact in residency placement.

O
I am (probably unreasonably) looking at the houses on the Pittsburgh Craigslist that cost about 300-400 a month. Also assuming that I'll continue to live off of $200 a month for personal expenses (as I did in college). Then again, life happens - those post-exam parties probably cost a hefty bar fee lol

I guess my biggest concern at this point is how much going to Pitt vs. Stony Brook would help me get into competitive residency programs. From what I've read (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf), the actual reputation of your medical school isn't SUPER important for residencies: fewer than half of residency directors considered school reputation, and those who did weighed it a 3.8/5 (although Step 1 score received a 4.1/5).

At the same time, "letters of recommendation in the specialty" is the second most important factor, and I've heard that having a letter from a well-known attending can really make a huge impact in residency placement.
OP, my old roommate was a PhD student at Pitt and lived off of $800 a month. Lived about 10 min drive away from campus (she took the bus) in a fairly safe neighborhood. Oakland can get pricey but if you can find something in Bloomfield or Point Breeze for a pretty low cost. Especially if you have a roommate. Old roommate now lives in squirrel hill for $550 a month including utilities with 3 roommates and loves it. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/5430044081.html

Here's a good example. Shadyside is a highly coveted area for 20s-30s.