Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called to follow-up with my application (no complete email)....Mrs. Hamilton stated that they are meeting next week for the next batch of interviews. The days are toward the beginning of December.

Members don't see this ad.

I just called to follow-up with my application (no complete email)....Mrs. Hamilton stated that they are meeting next week for the next batch of interviews. The days are toward the beginning of December.

Thanks for the info!

I got my interview invite! Anyone else interviewing November 17th?

Members don't see this ad :)

Good to know. Maybe now I won't stress about not hearing anything again this week. Although the post above about an 11/17 interview doesn't help matters.

is there a FB group yet for those who have been accepted?

Not into sharing precise stats. My GPA is lower, but my MCAT and EC's are pretty good.

I was complete towards the beginning of October. I'm from Indiana, but I'm guessing they had somebody cancel.

Last edited:
Just got the 'complete' email....now more waiting

Members don't see this ad :)
just withdrew my app...hopefully one of you guys gets my ii slot next weekend. Good luck guys

Sending an extra LOR and an update letter today. I was really hoping to hear from Pikeville, I'm ready to move home!!

Hey current KYCOM students,

I have some questions regarding the 3rd and 4th years that I hope someone can jump on and answer.

1) Do they sent up all the rotations for you, except for the elective rotations?

2) are the elective rotations at a good time for doing some audition rotations or are they too late/early?

3) Housing during these clincial years, is it set up for you or is it all on you?

looking forard to the anwsers.

Rotations are set up for you, electives are on you but you can get help
Perfect time to do them
Up to you sadly.

Thanks, do you know how many OOS they actually consider?

The majority of our class is oos. Private schools don't usually pick in states at such a high percentage. But the overwhelming majority of us are from Appalachian states (ky,va,tn,pa). A few are from mi,az,wa, and al

has anyone tried to do the background check, etc yet? The code doesn't work for me....and neither Mr. Collins or Ms. Hamilton are responding. Do we need to send in our seat deposit first before we can do this maybe?

has anyone tried to do the background check, etc yet? The code doesn't work for me....and neither Mr. Collins or Ms. Hamilton are responding. Do we need to send in our seat deposit first before we can do this maybe?

Yeah I tried it too. I e-mailed Ms. Hamilton and she said the servers of the place are still down due to the storm. I have no idea where to go from here yet.

it is starting to look like this is my number one for sure! It is between this and one other but I my have sabotaged my chances at the other due to SDN lol. We will just have to wait and see when thanksgiving comes around.

Hi everyone. I was complete on 10/15. Has anyone had an II lately? How long does it normally take to be invited. Thank you....

Hi everyone. I was complete on 10/15. Has anyone had an II lately? How long does it normally take to be invited. Thank you....
I was complete the same day...still haven't heard back. I called recently, but all I was told is that they are still reviewing apps. What are your stats? In-state? (PM if you prefer)

Speaking of Indiana, how does the new school there compare to Pikeville? I already got accepted to Marian, and it seems pretty nice, but it's new. I also have interviews at Pikeville, DMU, and accepted to MSU (both DO and MD). I really want to go DO, MSU is just too big when I visited, so as of now,it's Marian for me unless I really like Pikeville or DMU.

I really liked Pikeville. I would for sure give it a chance if I were you.

Speaking of Indiana, how does the new school there compare to Pikeville? I already got accepted to Marian, and it seems pretty nice, but it's new. I also have interviews at Pikeville, DMU, and accepted to MSU (both DO and MD). I really want to go DO, MSU is just too big when I visited, so as of now,it's Marian for me unless I really like Pikeville or DMU.

I can't really compare it since Marian's first class is this year. I heard talk of it last year but it didn't really apply to me so I didn't look into it. Wait until after interviews to make a decision bc that's going to be the time when you can't talk to the students and the faculty to get a feel of the atmosphere and the surrounding area. It's hard to make a sound decision about a place you've never visited.

One of the profs at Marian was on our campus tour, I guess he used to teach at Pike. I asked him why he left and he said it had nothing to do with Pikeville, but that the opportunity to help build a new school from the ground up was too much to pass on. He did say the faculty at Pikeville are wonderful and care about the students, but since he is probably friends with all of them, I'm not sure he would give a real critical take even if he had one to give. Will I actually get to talk much with the faculty at my interview to find out for myself?

One of the profs at Marian was on our campus tour, I guess he used to teach at Pike. I asked him why he left and he said it had nothing to do with Pikeville, but that the opportunity to help build a new school from the ground up was too much to pass on. He did say the faculty at Pikeville are wonderful and care about the students, but since he is probably friends with all of them, I'm not sure he would give a real critical take even if he had one to give. Will I actually get to talk much with the faculty at my interview to find out for myself?

I've been accepted to Marian and DMU, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about them or how they compare via PM (I didn't want to hijack this thread).

The students that were there also said the professors truly cared about them. They mentioned professors coming in just to help them out when they were having difficulties with the material. I also got the feeling that the Pikeville professors did truly care about both the school and the students.

After doing a lot of thinking and talking things over with my family, I believe I've made my final school decision and will be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone!

I've been accepted to Marian and DMU, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about them or how they compare via PM (I didn't want to hijack this thread).

I think my decision will likely be between MSU, Marian, and Pikeville, unless I really like what I see at DMU. My sister was at DMU, and she said the place is imploding and a lot of faculty have left/are leaving. So I really don't need info on DMU, just looking for info on Pikeville, really. I'm a bit nervous about Marian only because it is new, but I really liked it.

I think my decision will likely be between MSU, Marian, and Pikeville, unless I really like what I see at DMU. My sister was at DMU, and she said the place is imploding and a lot of faculty have left/are leaving. So I really don't need info on DMU, just looking for info on Pikeville, really. I'm a bit nervous about Marian only because it is new, but I really liked it.

Hey I'm most likely going to end up here. From speaking to current students, it seems that they are loving it there and really enjoy the faculty. Also heard that they feel really prepared for the boards so I've heard mostly good things.

Hey everyone,

I was complete at this school in August, and I have not heard a thing yet.
Should I email them and ask for an update or is this normal?

Thanks and goodluck to you.

I was complete in August as well. Called today and they said "my app was on hold and will be reviewed on a later date." So still hoping for an interview soon.

Well got accepted to four schools and I choose KYCOM! I absolutely loved the school and am very excited to be going there. Lookout pikeville here I come!

Well got accepted to four schools and I choose KYCOM! I absolutely loved the school and am very excited to be going there. Lookout pikeville here I come!

Congratz Dude! Did you put your deposit in already? I'm going to in a couple days probably after the big break!

had my interview on 11/16. haven't heard anything back yet. has anyone with this interview date heard anything?

I was the next day, but I haven't heard either. I'm thinking/hoping we may hear Monday.

Congratz Dude! Did you put your deposit in already? I'm going to in a couple days probably after the big break!

I haven't just yet. I am waiting to take a trip to good ol pikeville with the wife so she can see what it is going to be like. Realisitcally it is between LMU-DCOM and KYCOM. The both of them are not all that different when it comes to location and surrounding areas lol. I just like KYCOM better with everything they have/do for the students. Plus I really got the feeling that it is a "family" instead of a place where ppl get along. Pretty pumped to be a part of it. The housing thing sounds like a hassle but I guess it works out somehow.

Yeah I think I'm about to submit it pretty soon. Housing isn't too bad, I just got the rental application from the main realtor and probably going to go through them. They said for 1 bedroom its 600 for 2 its 700 so it's pretty decent. But finding available rooms is going to be a challenge once it gets closer to march cause they fill up quick!

If so, they haven't posted about it but I'm guessing no.

I keep waiting to hear from them, I've been complete for about 6 weeks now and I'm sure others have been longer.
Yea, I'm surprised they're taking this long, considering people have posted that they heard back about 3-4 weeks after their app was complete. Is this a bad sign for us then?

I was complete on 11/8 and haven't heard anything yet on an II. I expect to hear in the next few days from what I am reading. I interviewed at LMU-DCOM on the 19th and had a great experience. Looking forward to hearing from Pikeville!