Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would any current students, preferably in rotations, mind explaining how rotations work in years 3-4? Will I be doing rotations in the same area and be able to live in the same apartment for all 4 years of Med school? Or will I probably have to move around Georgia a couple times for rotations? My fiancé is moving with me and would like to continue attending a community college to pursue a healthcare job so I'm trying to accommodate her needs as well as my own.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when the facebook group for incoming students will be created?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,
I applied last Summer and my application was complete in the Fall. I still haven't heard anything from PCOM. Should I consider it too late to hear from them? They are my first choice and this is my second application with them. I was hoping to at least get an interview in December. Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
SO I was just in Atlanta/Suwanee this past weekend to look at the area and apartments and it was freezing. My luck to get snow and ice on my trip. Soooo not excited to freeze my butt off in the winter when I officially move here lol. Speaking of..does anyone know of a good apartment complex for kids near PCOM-GA? My current lease ends in April (no exceptions) and I think I am just going to move a few months early as I seriously cannot imagine moving my kids and my whole house multiple times. At this point I am realizing that I will be spending a whole lot of money on a 3 bedroom apartment in this area. :( Maybe I am just looking in the wrong areas

SO I was just in Atlanta/Suwanee this past weekend to look at the area and apartments and it was freezing. My luck to get snow and ice on my trip. Soooo not excited to freeze my butt off in the winter when I officially move here lol. Speaking of..does anyone know of a good apartment complex for kids near PCOM-GA? My current lease ends in April (no exceptions) and I think I am just going to move a few months early as I seriously cannot imagine moving my kids and my whole house multiple times. At this point I am realizing that I will be spending a whole lot of money on a 3 bedroom apartment in this area. :( Maybe I am just looking in the wrong areas
You will need to be willing to live a bit further away if you want cheaper living. Suwanee is not cheap. It's a great area but it's much easier to live with roommates around there than alone if you don't have the extra money.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need to be willing to live a bit further away if you want cheaper living. Suwanee is not cheap. It's a great area but it's much easier to live with roommates around there than alone if you don't have the extra money.
Yeah its pretty expensive. I wish I could get a roommate, not sure anyone would be fine with a two year old screaming at 3am though lol :) Its still not more expensive than where I live in Florida but I was hoping for it to be cheaper. Luckily I will have my hubby's income but I was seriously hoping to not spend like 1500-1700 a month on a stinky old apartment if I wanted to stay close. Oh well it is what it is i guess. School districts for my kiddos play a huge role in my housing options too..so many variables. I saw some nice houses for sale for like 100k though. Horrible idea to buy but wow.

Yeah its pretty expensive. I wish I could get a roommate, not sure anyone would be fine with a two year old screaming at 3am though lol :) Its still not more expensive than where I live in Florida but I was hoping for it to be cheaper. Luckily I will have my hubby's income but I was seriously hoping to not spend like 1500-1700 a month on a stinky old apartment if I wanted to stay close. Oh well it is what it is i guess. School districts for my kiddos play a huge role in my housing options too..so many variables. I saw some nice houses for sale for like 100k though. Horrible idea to buy but wow.

How would you feel about renting a townhome? I have friends who pay $1500 for a 3 bed/3 bath townhouse. Check Zillow and see if anyone has posted anything yet. Good luck! Lawrenceville/Buford may be a little cheaper but not by much. Pleasant Hill Rd area is also cheaper.

How would you feel about renting a townhome? I have friends who pay $1500 for a 3 bed/3 bath townhouse. Check Zillow and see if anyone has posted anything yet. Good luck! Lawrenceville/Buford may be a little cheaper but not by much. Pleasant Hill Rd area is also cheaper.

All this talk about starting to look for apartments in the area just made me really excited about getting started!

Reactions: 3 users
I will check it out!! I have kind of been avoiding the thought of renting homes due to usually requiring first last and security deposits vs just a deposit with an apartment..but if the right one came along it could be worth it. Thank you :)

I will check it out!! I have kind of been avoiding the thought of renting homes due to usually requiring first last and security deposits vs just a deposit with an apartment..but if the right one came along it could be worth it. Thank you :)
If possible, it is much better to rent homes in this area. The value is much better but takes patience to find the right place. I highly recommend it if possible.

For anyone wondering, the FB group has been created.

If possible, it is much better to rent homes in this area. The value is much better but takes patience to find the right place. I highly recommend it if possible.

I agree!! My friends have a really nice town home in a great community and I don't think they had to pay the first and last.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you let them know you are a PCOM student, they may work something out with you.

Forgoing my II. Hopefully it goes to someone deserving!

Just got my letter. Waitlisted :( I am so disappointed. I really thought my interview went well. Has anyone heard back from a January interview?

Last edited:
I heard in the halls all the biomeds got WL from the 1/6 interview but I'm not sure about people who interviewed with them who don't go to PCOM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I heard in the halls all the biomeds got WL from the 1/6 interview but I'm not sure about people who interviewed with them who don't go to PCOM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's cold. The biomeds got WL even with 3.5+ GPAs?

Wth... A 515 seriously! That's far above their MCAT avg.

Just got my letter. Waitlisted :( I am so disappointed. I really thought my interview went well. Has anyone heard back from a January interview?

Hang in there friend, there's still a lot of time between now and August. Keep your head up.

WL=/= rejection

Wth... A 515 seriously! That's far above their MCAT avg.
Not hard to believe, considering most DO schools aren't stat obsessed. They could have completely bombed the interview.

I heard this school has a strong southern bias but I'm interviewing here and from CA. Anyone know if my post-II acceptance odds are lower due to my state residence?

I heard this school has a strong southern bias but I'm interviewing here and from CA. Anyone know if my post-II acceptance odds are lower due to my state residence?

Based on comparing facebook group to last years class size, there should still be spots open so your chances are still the same.

That said I'm looking at the members and theres like 3/88 people not from GA/FL. None of these 3 are from the west coast. If you secured an interview it means you've got a better shot than before. Go in prepared and be confident! PM me if you have any questions!

Really surprised I got an interview invite for this school for 2/3. I had accepted that I was probably going to be silently rejected hahaha. Looking forward to it!

Really surprised I got an interview invite for this school for 2/3. I had accepted that I was probably going to be silently rejected hahaha. Looking forward to it!
Congrats! When were you complete?

Congrats! When were you complete?

Back on 11/8! So very, VERY surprised. I actually applied to this school as a long shot, since I'm below the average stats. I suppose there's always hope whenever there isn't a rejection!

Back on 11/8! So very, VERY surprised. I actually applied to this school as a long shot, since I'm below the average stats. I suppose there's always hope whenever there isn't a rejection!

That's great! If we have dates next to everything in our portal, that means we're complete right? I thought that's what they said in the email, but I wanted to make sure and can't find it.

That's great! If we have dates next to everything in our portal, that means we're complete right? I thought that's what they said in the email, but I wanted to make sure and can't find it.

I believe so. I think I received a completion email or text as well though, but I could be mistaken. It's been one long application cycle.

Got and interview invite today for 2/3, but I'm going to have to reschedule because I'm currently in Washington state, I hope that doesn't reflect to badly, already sent the email to Amber. *Fingers crossed*

On the Nucleus website, it says that the Medical History Questionnaire must be completed within 8 weeks of receiving your PCOM nucleus login. Has anybody completed this already?

On the Nucleus website, it says that the Medical History Questionnaire must be completed within 8 weeks of receiving your PCOM nucleus login. Has anybody completed this already?
Yes! Its a pain in the butt to fill out and to get all of the bloodwork or shot records. I had no shot records so I had to get titers drawn which is reallly expensive without insurance so I had to do them before the first of the year. It takes a while to get all of this done. They said not to worry about the 8 week part but she told me to get it in ASAP when I called.

Yes! Its a pain in the butt to fill out and to get all of the bloodwork or shot records. I had no shot records so I had to get titers drawn which is reallly expensive without insurance so I had to do them before the first of the year. It takes a while to get all of this done. They said not to worry about the 8 week part but she told me to get it in ASAP when I called.

Did you have to re-do the 3 doses of Hep B vaccine plus the titer? I have records of the 3 doses but I don't have the titer done.

Did you have to re-do the 3 doses of Hep B vaccine plus the titer? I have records of the 3 doses but I don't have the titer done.
By the way it was written on the paperwork, I think you HAVE to do the titers for Hep B regardless of previous vaccination, but I could be mistaken. I had been previously vaccinated but still came back non immune on my titers and I now have to sign the waiver to begin the series again when I can get myself some sort of insurance later on this year.

Last edited:
Yes I just called and they said that if you have previous record of the 3 doses you are still required to do a quantitative titer. If you don't have immunizations record or your titer comes back negative then you must re-do the immunizations and a new titer. (For Hep B)

They also said that the 8 weeks is not strictly enforced as long as you have everything done by April, 1st.

I was just asking because the Medical History questionnaire was not completely clear for a neurotic mess like myself. Thanks, @Noxy

Yes I just called and they said that if you have previous record of the 3 doses you are still required to do a quantitative titer. If you don't have immunizations record or your titer comes back negative then you must re-do the immunizations and a new titer. (For Hep B)

They also said that the 8 weeks is not strictly enforced as long as you have everything done by April, 1st.

I was just asking because the Medical History questionnaire was not completely clear for a neurotic mess like myself. Thanks, @Noxy

I agree, the MHQ was not completely clear and this post helped! Thank you.

Thanks for the reminder to do this! I haven't seen a PCP in 2 years and now i'm realizing its a big hassle to just see anybody for this.

Got my new interview date for the 17th. Anyone have any hotel recommendations close to the school?

Congrats! Stats/complete if you don't mind me asking?

sGPA: 3.54 MCAT: 497 Complete: 12/19
I realize my stats are crap, but I have 3,000+ clinic hours since I've worked as a Medical Lab Tech full time for about 7 years and am an Army Vet, 2 deployments. I'm really hoping my background helps my terrible stats. This is only my 2nd interview this year and I got waitlisted on the first.

And Thanks CharlieBillings I'll look into that one.

Could someone elaborate a little on how the writing assignment works?