PennVet c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else here IS? I feel like I haven’t seen a lot of IS interview invites. (I know not everyone who gets invited is on SDN)
Yup, haven't heard a thing 🤷🏻‍♀️

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if interview invite waves are actually over and these last few are from the waiting list?

They seem much more sporadic than the last few weeks
It's the same number of people per week, it's just that those who are getting interview invites aren't on SDN or the Facebook page (or are but aren't sharing) :)

I got an interview invite at around 12 pm ish!!!

Does anyone know if this website (University of Pennsylvania | Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements) has the correct stats? It is associated with AAVMC, so I assume it is somewhat reputable. Under the Acceptance data it says "288 interviewed, 204 accepted into class, 124 matriculated." If so, you have a 71% chance of acceptance after interviewing. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be great if it's true lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Does anyone know if this website (University of Pennsylvania | Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements) has the correct stats? It is associated with AAVMC, so I assume it is somewhat reputable. Under the Acceptance data it says "288 interviewed, 204 accepted into class, 124 matriculated." If so, you have a 71% chance of acceptance after interviewing. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be great if it's true lol.
Do we know about how many people applied this year?

anyone else here IS? I feel like I haven’t seen a lot of IS interview invites. (I know not everyone who gets invited is on SDN)
I’m IS. Didn’t get an interview but honestly wasn’t expecting to this year

Almost every school has said there was an increase in applicants this year (some by 15%). So given that logic, I would guess Penn got at least 1650ish. But that is all speculation of course.

I wonder if interview invite waves are actually over and these last few are from the waiting list?

They seem much more sporadic than the last few weeks
Last weeks interview invites were for Feb 10 and the one I got today was for Feb 17 so it is very possible they would do at least one more round of invites for the following Friday since that will still be February!

For those of you who have interviewed and been accepted when/how long after your interview were you notified of your acceptance? I heard its usually Monday or Tuesday but if anyone remembers what time specifically please share:)

Penn had 1630 applications this year!

This acceptance data is correct to my knowledge except for the stat about how many they accepted. I know they typically overaccept (that's why my class is so large) but an overacceptance of 80 students seems problematic to me in the event that all 200 accept (we do not have the resources to deal with a class that big lol). Maybe that includes waitlist as well?

AAVMC is reputable, I just wonder where they got that information from because the number of apps received and how many matriculated is correct, at least according to the meeting I attended today and our state of the school address from last week.

For those of you who have interviewed and been accepted when/how long after your interview were you notified of your acceptance? I heard its usually Monday or Tuesday but if anyone remembers what time specifically please share:)
I was called at like 4:30pm EST, missed the call and he called back after 5:30pm EST.

Penn had 1630 applications this year!

This acceptance data is correct to my knowledge except for the stat about how many they accepted. I know they typically overaccept (that's why my class is so large) but an overacceptance of 80 students seems problematic to me in the event that all 200 accept (we do not have the resources to deal with a class that big lol). Maybe that includes waitlist as well?

AAVMC is reputable, I just wonder where they got that information from because the number of apps received and how many matriculated is correct, at least according to the meeting I attended today and our state of the school address from last week.

I was called at like 4:30pm EST, missed the call and he called back after 5:30pm EST.
Thank you! Was that on a Monday or a Tuesday?

Should I be getting concerned if I still haven’t heard anything from them? I’m OOS and the only communication i’ve had was that they received my application after i submitted it

Reactions: 4 users
Should I be getting concerned if I still haven’t heard anything from them? I’m OOS and the only communication i’ve had was that they received my application after i submitted it
I’m in the same position as you are 😩

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who had interviewed, do they leave you time to ask questions at the end?

So realistically, if we don’t receive an invite next Thursday, we then just wait for the rejection notification? Oof this is rough.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who had interviewed, do they leave you time to ask questions at the end?
By the time I answered everything, I had about 5-7 mins left to ask questions! It's a 30 min interview

Does anyone know more about Penn’s new curriculum? They recently became an option for me and I’m realizing I genuinely am having a hard time deciding between them and another school

I got the call on a Monday at 11:11 EST! I also know that it's not uncommon to get called later in the week.

Does anyone know more about Penn’s new curriculum? They recently became an option for me and I’m realizing I genuinely am having a hard time deciding between them and another school

I’m not a current student (yet!) but I work with a lot of Penn first years and they’ve all said they like the new curriculum so far! From what I understand, all of your classes are taught in 3 week (ish) blocks that each focus more on a body system (rather than individually focused classes like pathology, histo, whatever). That’s the first two years, and then you start with clinical rotations and electives at the beginning of your third year, which is a lot earlier than most schools! Any current students please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong or missed anything

Just had my interview today and the admissions guy said that they aren’t even halfway done with interviews yet. Hopefully that eases some nerves for those who haven’t heard back yet

Reactions: 14 users
Just had my interview today and the admissions guy said that they aren’t even halfway done with interviews yet. Hopefully that eases some nerves for those who haven’t heard back yet

Yea I’ve been keeping an eye on the FB page for C/O 2027 and its only at 50 members

Thank you for sharing this! Did make me feel a little better. ❤️

Omg thank you for sharing this. You just gave me little bit of hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for this !! 🥹🤍

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know more about Penn’s new curriculum?
All of your classes are taught in 3 week (ish) blocks that each focus more on a body system (rather than individually focused classes like pathology, histo, whatever). That’s the first two years, and then you start with clinical rotations and electives at the beginning of your third year, which is a lot earlier than most schools! Any current students please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong or missed anything.

Current first year.

Most of the blocks are 4 weeks with a couple that are slightly shorter. These blocks include lectures with anatomy and histology labs to complement (+ imaging in the case of immunology) whichever system we’re working on, as mentioned by @arm99.

The first year is supposed to focus on how each system functions when it’s healthy, then I believe we’ll learn disease processes in second year.

So far, we’ve had (1) muscles + bones, (2) circulatory + respiratory, (3) reproductive, and (4) immune. Then (5) digestion + metabolism, (6) elimination + detoxification, and (7) cognition + senses remain this spring.

Each block is run differently depending on the course organizers. Some have quizzes and multiple written exams and a lab exam, while others only have a final written and lab exam. It’s pretty variable.

In addition to these “system” classes, we also have two other courses at the same time. One is about scientific literacy, such as interpreting data and literature appropriately. The second teaches clinical skills. We have three 1-hour lectures and a rotating clinical skills labs every week. The clinical labs are pretty variable, from learning the basics of physical exams on different species to suturing and knot tying to working on communication in a simulated clinical setting.

For a 2-3 weeks at the beginning of each semester, we have a foundations class that is on the basic biology concepts that we need for the upcoming blocks of the semester. They are designed so that every student knows the same basics since prerequisites can vary quite a bit.

For 2 weeks at the end of each semester, we have a course where we review concepts from the semester through case studies, NAVLE prep, and other things during the mornings. We spend 3 hours each afternoon for those 2 weeks at an elective of our choosing (they provide a list to “apply” for and they match you). These electives were sort of all over the place with respect to content. Some students did community outreach teaching local students about science, while others were shadowing a service in the hospitals.

They’re still changing things as they go and adjusting for things that did and did not work this year, so it’s definitely still a work in progress (but what isn’t?). That being said, I think the professors and administration are doing a good job listening to feedback provided by our class and genuinely care about making it a great curriculum for the students.

Feel free to DM me with any specific questions about PennVet, life in Philly, picking a school, or if you just need to talk to someone new about a really big and exciting or frustrating / disappointing time in your life.

Reactions: 8 users
Do you guys think they admit a certain amount of students each interview week?

ex: 7 weeks of interviews, 160 spots (guessing they want to accept more people in case anyone declines their offer), so your chance = 22 / 42 people / week.

Or do you think its totally at random and at the end of the interview cycle if they have 7 spots left your chances decline to 7/42 if you're interviewing one of the last weeks?

I'm probably way over analyzing here, but I'm really stressed haha.

OOS acceptance! Just got the call from my interviewer from Friday 🥹

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Anyone else who interviewed Friday not hear anything yet? I know they can still call tomorrow but I’m super nervous

Anyone else who interviewed Friday not hear anything yet? I know they can still call tomorrow but I’m super nervous
No news is good news! They let people know all week. You got this!

• Care
Why would they put an application on hold after an interview?
During the interview info session, Robert DiMeo said that an interview hold is that they’re still on the fence about you. It’s not a yes or a no. It’s a “let’s keep looking at these other candidates and then compare.”

Reactions: 2 users
IS acceptance, was called around 9am!! Beyond excited!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I got the call on Saturday and just picked up yesterday around 3pm for the acceptance!!! Feels unreal

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
IS interview invite! Got the email today at 7:54 AM est!

Reactions: 9 users