PennVet c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*drinking coffee while staring vacantly at my empty email* this is fine
This Is Fine GIF

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I am declining my spot for a school thats a better fit for me. However im having trouble finding where i do this??? Does anyone know how we decline our spot?

Reactions: 1 user
If you have not received an interview, my best GUESS is that we will just be rejected since the waitlist people will more than likely come from those that interviewed but were put on hold after the interview. If the last interviews are today, it would have been kind of them to have sent out the notifications advising us of the rejection yesterday or today. Did anyone in the LIMBO gang hear anything today?
Yes, thank you. That makes more sense. (Dang!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my interview I feel like I bombed the first question :')
They said our interview group should get a decision in a week or so so maybe everyone else will hear back then too

Reactions: 1 users
Just finished my interview I feel like I bombed the first question :')
They said our interview group should get a decision in a week or so so maybe everyone else will hear back then too
I bet you did wonderful! Remember, you are your own worst critic! Congrats on getting through it today :)

• Care
Hi everyone! I am declining my spot for a school thats a better fit for me. However im having trouble finding where i do this??? Does anyone know how we decline our spot?

Usually you just email admissions that you’re declining. You don’t need to tell them much else other than thanks but no thanks!

Hello everyone I was admitted a little over a week ago and I just got 60,000 in recruitment grant/scholarship money, which I'm very very very grateful for. I had some questions that someone might be able to help me with. I wanted to know if 60k was a lot. What is the most that Penn gives out or you have seen? This is not to compare I'm just not very keen on taking a large loan so I want to lower it as much as possible in order to go to my dream school. Can I ask for more and how much is too much? Thank you for reading

Hello everyone I was admitted a little over a week ago and I just got 60,000 in recruitment grant/scholarship money, which I'm very very very grateful for. I had some questions that someone might be able to help me with. I wanted to know if 60k was a lot. What is the most that Penn gives out or you have seen? This is not to compare I'm just not very keen on taking a large loan so I want to lower it as much as possible in order to go to my dream school. Can I ask for more and how much is too much? Thank you for reading
You didn't just get 60k. You got 60k plus the 6-7% interest rate too. Is that 60k for just first year, or is that 60k spread across all four years? Is it a renewable scholarship? The answers to these questions can tell you whether this is actually 100k vs more than that once you factor the interest you're not going to pay. This is *a lot* of money.

Whether or not you can ask for more is up in the air. You likely can't ask for more from this school (I'm assuming Penn, but not 100% sure). You can certainly contact any other schools you have acceptances to and say you have a significant recruitment scholarship and want to know if they can match it.

ETA: had some time to do the math.

If you have 5.5% interest (the lowest interest rate I had) and only got it for 1st year, you're also saving ~14,000 in interest over the 4 years of vet school. That increases a lot when you hit the 6-7% interest rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You didn't just get 60k. You got 60k plus the 6-7% interest rate too. Is that 60k for just first year, or is that 60k spread across all four years? Is it a renewable scholarship? The answers to these questions can tell you whether this is actually 100k vs more than that once you factor the interest you're not going to pay. This is *a lot* of money.

Whether or not you can ask for more is up in the air. You likely can't ask for more from this school (I'm assuming Penn, but not 100% sure). You can certainly contact any other schools you have acceptances to and say you have a significant recruitment scholarship and want to know if they can match it.

ETA: had some time to do the math.

If you have 5.5% interest (the lowest interest rate I had) and only got it for 1st year, you're also saving ~14,000 in interest over the 4 years of vet school. That increases a lot when you hit the 6-7% interest rate.
Yes, it is over 4 years, generally equal installments over the 4 years or 8 semesters. I'm not sure if it is renewable. I would get 15k each year as long as I meet the requirements. Yes this Upenn. How come? Why can I ask for schools to meet the amount I was awarded at Upenn but Upenn can not increase the amount? Just wondering. Thanks by the way this was very very very helpful. Do you know if they give out full rides upon being admitted? What was the largest recruitment scholarship you have seen given? I just want to know if there is room for me to ask for more and how much room.

I thought we weren’t supposed to hear about aid packages until April? Did you ask them for early consideration?

Yes, it is over 4 years, generally equal installments over the 4 years or 8 semesters. I'm not sure if it is renewable. I would get 15k each year as long as I meet the requirements.
The scholarship is a renewable 15k/year scholarship. So that changes my math a bit as far as the interest you save. But youre still going to save about 10k+ in interest.
How come? Why can I ask for schools to meet the amount I was awarded at Upenn but Upenn can not increase the amount?
Because that is the offer Penn gave you. If they wanted to give you more money, the offer would have been larger. I just think it would be a waste of time. You can ask other schools (or Penn) for more money. They just don't need to entice you any more than that.
Do you know if they give out full rides upon being admitted?
I don't know about Penn specifically (your original post was in the comparison forum). Youd have to ask Penn.
What was the largest recruitment scholarship you have seen given?
My school gives out a scholarship that covers the difference between OOS and IS tuition to someone in each class so that an OOS student is essentially paying in state tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on a recruitment scholarship that is very similar. Everyone else I know who is on a recruitment scholarship seems comparable. I have heard whispers of one or two people who have half or full rides, but I have not actually confirmed that for myself (and I'm not sure that they're recruitment scholarships - they may be different scholarships entirely). I have not heard of anyone getting a "better" offer, but there are other scholarships outside of PennVet that you will be able to apply for throughout vet school that may help a little; they tend to be much smaller, though.

Something to think about as well is whether there is a GPA minimum that you will need to maintain to keep the scholarship all 4 years. Another thing to keep in mind is that tuition, fees, etc increase yearly, but the scholarship will not.

Finally just got a rejection from them (email came in at 6:49am EST)... disappointing, but at this point I'm just glad to know. Congratulations to everyone who got in and good luck to anyone who still might not have heard back!

Reactions: 1 users
I finally heard back as well, OOS rejection
Not unexpected, just glad to finally have an answer! Good luck to everyone else!

IS rejection 6:49EST. Super bummed since this is my dream school. But it’s not going to stop me. 3rd times a charm right?

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Official rejection at 6:49 EST. Good luck to all the other applicants!

Hi All!
I was just told I am on the alternate list. Not too disappointed, but concerned because I am an in-state applicant. Can anyone give any insight on how fast/slow the list moves for in-state? Looking at past threads it seems like it doesn't move at all. Any advice is helpful! Thank you.

IS alternate. Haven’t decided yet, but I’m thinking about pulling my application.

What would deter you both from going?
I was accepted to another school that I would likely choose if distance/cost were not factors and I doubt the IS alternate list moves much. However, I've decided to accept my alternate position, seeing that there's no real downside in doing so.

I was accepted to another school that I would likely choose if distance/cost were not factors and I doubt the IS alternate list moves much. However, I've decided to accept my alternate position, seeing that there's no real downside in doing so.
Hey I’m sorry about that. I’m OOS, does the alternate list move any faster

Hey I’m sorry about that. I’m OOS, does the alternate list move any faster
I have no real numbers or information, but I would assume it would if others were also accepted to their IS or a cheaper OOS school. With that being said I think the c/o2026 forum said the neither IS or OOS list moved at all for the c/o2025. Best of luck to all my alternate friends and congratulations to everyone accepted!

Do we know if everyone on hold was put into the alternate list or if some were rejected?

What would deter you both from going?
I was accepted to another school that would end up being cheaper than Penn even though it’s OOS. And the more I contemplate the different schools I applied to, the more I think Penn just isn’t for me. Like I do not like Philly at all, and it doesn’t really have many wildlife medicine experiences. I’ve also heard mixed opinions on the vet school in general which makes me hesitant. I guess it doesn’t hurt to keep my name on the waitlist though.

Hi guys! I'm new to sdn and new to this forum. I applied, interviewed on friday (2/24) and just heard back today that I am an alternate. I honestly didn't know what that meant until looking at the forum so thanks for that! This is my second year applying, does anyone know if the alternate list moves? or have any advice to getting accepted?

The scholarship is a renewable 15k/year scholarship. So that changes my math a bit as far as the interest you save. But youre still going to save about 10k+ in interest.

Because that is the offer Penn gave you. If they wanted to give you more money, the offer would have been larger. I just think it would be a waste of time. You can ask other schools (or Penn) for more money. They just don't need to entice you any more than that.

I don't know about Penn specifically (your original post was in the comparison forum). Youd have to ask Penn.

My school gives out a scholarship that covers the difference between OOS and IS tuition to someone in each class so that an OOS student is essentially paying in state tuition.
This helps a lot thank you

Can anyone who was accepted (in state) and is thinking (even slightly) about declining their seat please react to this? I need a bit of hope in my life lol.

when do you usually hear about recruitment scholarships?? i thought not until march or april?

Has anybody else who interviewed on 2/24 not heard anything? I haven't received any emails or phone calls

Does anyone know when/if an admitted students in-person info session/tour is happening?

I thought we weren’t supposed to hear about aid packages until April? Did you ask them for early consideration?
Recruitment scholarships are specifically to get people to agree to go to your school, so you’d want them to know ASAP so they pick your school! That’s why they got this info way earlier ;-)

when do you usually hear about recruitment scholarships?? i thought not until march or april?
See my post above, recruitment scholarships are very different, they’re offered to applicants that are very attractive for the school specifically to get them to pick to attend that school - it wouldn’t help to tell them after the April 15th deadline or close enough that they’ve committed to another school!

Welp, PennVet just shot to the top of the list. Got offered a recruitment scholarship that I don't think I can turn down. Just made my stomach turn though because suddenly I need to be looking at a move across the country to somewhere I've never been before. Scariest thing I will ever have done. Anyone else in the same boat?

Welp, PennVet just shot to the top of the list. Got offered a recruitment scholarship that I don't think I can turn down. Just made my stomach turn though because suddenly I need to be looking at a move across the country to somewhere I've never been before. Scariest thing I will ever have done. Anyone else in the same boat?

I am an OOS student who got offered a very substantial recruitment scholarship to both Penn and Purdue. Penn is closer to home for me, but I ultimately decided on Purdue. I gave up my seat at Penn this week and plan to submit my deposit for Purdue. I’ll be moving halfway across the country, to a region I’ve only ever visited once (for admitted students day). I am also so scared of this change, but am trying to look at it as an opportunity to grow and experience something I never have before. By even being accepted we clearly can accomplish hard things, and I am confident we can do this too. Feel free to DM me, my cousin was a PennVet alum and adored her time in Philly and I’m sure would be willing to talk to a prospective student.

• Care
Philly is a REALLY fun and accessible city - I spent a lot of time in college & my 20s there, even lived there, and it's so much fun! Walkable, great mix of big enough to have lots of options/resources/stuff to do without being so big as to be overwhelming. I grew up right outside Philly, but I also spent a lot of time in Boston & NYC, both of which are just too big IMO. It has a wonderful mix of local staples with new fun hip things. Great bars, restaurants, museums & arts options, parks & green space, music, cultural things to do, and universities with tons of resources & events. University City is pretty safe if you're in the right neighborhoods, and while parking is a total nightmare, walking is not! I only felt unsafe in the city exactly once, when I was taking a late train back to NJ by myself (not a smart or safe move!) - otherwise I've walked plenty of places after dark & felt completely safe. It's also WAY cheaper than most East Coast cities - I had an adorable historic 2 bedroom apartment in an antique row home in one of the nicest areas of Southwest Center City (check out Graduate Hospital neighborhood!), and it was only $700 a month split with my roommate.

I'd highly suggest trying to visit before the acceptance deadline if you possibly can - it's TERRIFYING moving to a totally new place & new environment without ever experiencing it. I can say all I want how much fun it is in Philly, but only you know what you like! Happy to recommend places to go & things to see in the city if you do!

Philly is a REALLY fun and accessible city - I spent a lot of time in college & my 20s there, even lived there, and it's so much fun! Walkable, great mix of big enough to have lots of options/resources/stuff to do without being so big as to be overwhelming. I grew up right outside Philly, but I also spent a lot of time in Boston & NYC, both of which are just too big IMO. It has a wonderful mix of local staples with new fun hip things. Great bars, restaurants, museums & arts options, parks & green space, music, cultural things to do, and universities with tons of resources & events. University City is pretty safe if you're in the right neighborhoods, and while parking is a total nightmare, walking is not! I only felt unsafe in the city exactly once, when I was taking a late train back to NJ by myself (not a smart or safe move!) - otherwise I've walked plenty of places after dark & felt completely safe. It's also WAY cheaper than most East Coast cities - I had an adorable historic 2 bedroom apartment in an antique row home in one of the nicest areas of Southwest Center City (check out Graduate Hospital neighborhood!), and it was only $700 a month split with my roommate.

I'd highly suggest trying to visit before the acceptance deadline if you possibly can - it's TERRIFYING moving to a totally new place & new environment without ever experiencing it. I can say all I want how much fun it is in Philly, but only you know what you like! Happy to recommend places to go & things to see in the city if you do!
Thanks for all this info! Im feeling better every day that I look up more info. Sounds like the perfect sized city for me! We live in Tacoma, WA which we prefer to Seattle because it's still a big city with plenty to do but not as big and scary as Seattle lol. My wife and I are going to do what we can to avoid living with roomates so we are looking closer to Cobb's creek at the moment, what do you think of that area?

We would love to visit but It would literally cost a couple thousand to make it happen just for a couple of days and I need to save up for the actual move. So I guess we are going in blind. But I know people have done that before so I guess I know it's doable.

Can anyone who was accepted (in state) and is thinking (even slightly) about declining their seat please react to this? I need a bit of hope in my life lol.
!!! still open for reactions yall

Thanks for all this info! Im feeling better every day that I look up more info. Sounds like the perfect sized city for me! We live in Tacoma, WA which we prefer to Seattle because it's still a big city with plenty to do but not as big and scary as Seattle lol. My wife and I are going to do what we can to avoid living with roomates so we are looking closer to Cobb's creek at the moment, what do you think of that area?

We would love to visit but It would literally cost a couple thousand to make it happen just for a couple of days and I need to save up for the actual move. So I guess we are going in blind. But I know people have done that before so I guess I know it's doable.
I appreciate not wanting to spend the money to visit. I would encourage you to reconsider. You’re going to be spending the next four years there and you are making a large financial investment in your future. My family member was ready to accept Penn and they changed their mind after we visited.

I appreciate not wanting to spend the money to visit. I would encourage you to reconsider. You’re going to be spending the next four years there and you are making a large financial investment in your future. My family member was ready to accept Penn and they changed their mind after we visited.
If you feel comfortable, would you mind elaborating why your family member changed their mind after visiting?