PCOM Biomedical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I just finished my first year of the biomed program at the Philly campus, so if anyone has questions about the program feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how many people are taken off the waitlist for PA Biomedical Sciences program. I was waitlisted for this program and I was just wondering my chances of being taken off the waitlist? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering how many people are taken off the waitlist for PA Biomedical Sciences program. I was waitlisted for this program and I was just wondering my chances of being taken off the waitlist? Thanks!

I really don't know. I was just taken off the waitlist this Monday. But I have also heard that as more people drop out over the summer and into August, admissions do tend to choose biomed students because they know a lot of them are already in the area. I would go into admissions and ask about it.

I think he's asking from the standpoint of an appliant for the biomedical sciences program and not into the medical school.

Ohhhh. Sorry about that. I really have no idea what the application pool is like to get into the biomed program. That is something you would have to ask admissions.

i was waitlisted on may 21 for pcom (philly) and am still waiting as well, may i ask when you were added to the waitlist?

i tried contacting the admissions office, but they just gave me a pretty standard reply "They will go to the wait list only if/when seats become available in the class; this fluctuates from year to year and is impossible to say what may/may not happen the next several months" which i'm thinkin is something they just copy/past because "several months" is a bit of a stretch, considering classes would start this fall hahaha...:laugh:

So I'm just beginning to look into this program for Fall 2011. I am currently in a post-bac pre-med program, and doing very well. I have a 4.0 post-bac GPA, but I have 2 bachelors degrees and a LOT of credit hours to my name with a sub-par undergrad GPA. Before post-bac it was a 2.9. After I finish all of my pre-reqs it will be around a 3.2 cum and 3.1 science (given I keep getting A's in my remaining 4 classes. I will most likely take the MCAT april/may 2011 and will then start applying to med schools for 2012 matriculation.

I was thinking of applying to do this program during my application year, do people do this? Is it worth it since you won't have any grades from the program until December? (unless semesters are different?) Just thinking that this would the best use of my time if perhaps I don't get any acceptances for 2012 matriculation, I will have already done a postbac enhancer program and will be ready to re-mcat, and re-apply for 2013 matric.

Also if I was able to do this, I wouldn't have an MCAT score until May/June 2011, would I even be able to apply for Fall 2011 pcom-pa biomed at that point? Would there be spots open at that point?
Input welcomed!

Last edited:
So I'm just beginning to look into this program for Fall 2011. I am currently in a post-bac pre-med program, and doing very well. I have a 4.0 post-bac GPA, but I have 2 bachelors degrees and a LOT of credit hours to my name with a sub-par undergrad GPA. Before post-bac it was a 2.9. After I finish all of my pre-reqs it will be around a 3.2 cum and 3.1 science (given I keep getting A's in my remaining 4 classes. I will most likely take the MCAT april/may 2011 and will then start applying to med schools for 2012 matriculation.

I was thinking of applying to do this program during my application year, do people do this? Is it worth it since you won't have any grades from the program until December? (unless semesters are different?) Just thinking that this would the best use of my time if perhaps I don't get any acceptances for 2012 matriculation, I will have already done a postbac enhancer program and will be ready to re-mcat, and re-apply for 2013 matric.

Also if I was able to do this, I wouldn't have an MCAT score until May/June 2011, would I even be able to apply for Fall 2011 pcom-pa biomed at that point? Would there be spots open at that point?
Input welcomed!

I applied to the biomed program during the spring, and was accepted, so I think there should be spots opened, but I'm not positive about the admissions for it. About half the people in my class did the application process during the program. This program is great, especially if you didn't do as well as you liked in ungergrad. However you have already completed graduate level science courses with great grades then I really don't see a need to do another one. The majority of people in my class were initially waitlisted since by the time biomeds interview most of the seats are filled. I have heard that biomeds are among the first to get taken off the waitlist though. In your case, if you have already proven that you can excel in graduate level sciences courses, then you might want to look into spending the year doing something science related or community service to boost your extracurriculars. Maybe a year with Americorp or working as a patient care assistant in a local hospital.

I would call admissions at PCOM and ask for their input. They really are helpful when it comes to planning out your future.

I applied to the biomed program during the spring, and was accepted, so I think there should be spots opened, but I'm not positive about the admissions for it. About half the people in my class did the application process during the program. This program is great, especially if you didn't do as well as you liked in ungergrad. However you have already completed graduate level science courses with great grades then I really don't see a need to do another one. The majority of people in my class were initially waitlisted since by the time biomeds interview most of the seats are filled. I have heard that biomeds are among the first to get taken off the waitlist though. In your case, if you have already proven that you can excel in graduate level sciences courses, then you might want to look into spending the year doing something science related or community service to boost your extracurriculars. Maybe a year with Americorp or working as a patient care assistant in a local hospital.

Thanks for the input and info! I have not completed graduate level courses however. The post-bac I am in is for the undergraduate pre-reqs.

Thanks for the input and info! I have not completed graduate level courses however. The post-bac I am in is for the undergraduate pre-reqs.

Well in that case then PCOM's program is great. It's not exactly a post-bacc program like most schools because you are working towards a masters program (if you only complete one year, then it's a certification in biomedical sciences). Therefore if you don't get in after your first year, you can send in your application early the following summer and probably be within the first set of applicants getting interviewed. This does occur a lot only because first year biomeds don't get interviewed until March/April when a lot of the seats are filled, and at that point most people are waiting to get off the waitlist. However that fall you can start doing research and finish the masters, write a thesis, have a great chance of getting published (and this looks great for when you apply for residencies). So although there is no guarantee that you'll get into their DO program from the biomed program, you have a great shot, especially after the first year. I preferred this program over other post-bacc programs like Temple's because if I didn't get into med school, I still took classes similar to the first year DOs here and I could at least get something out of it, like my masters. Whereas finishing a post-bacc doesn't really do much since it's basically grad level prep for premed students.

Has anyone read that long post from Page 4? The one about how the classes were not what he expected, lots of class presentations, etc? I am starting in August and after reading that post I am pretty bummed. I hope this year's curriculum is nothing like what he described. Just curious if someone else who attended the Biomed program for GA campus would share their opinion of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to the PA campus almost a month ago and haven't heard anything yet. Is there a waiting list already?

Does anyone know if we will need all the books on the book list? There are 10 books total for the two classes BIOM 501 and BIOM 502P. Thanks!

Does anyone know if we will need all the books on the book list? There are 10 books total for the two classes BIOM 501 and BIOM 502P. Thanks!

This really all depends on how comfortable you are with the material already. Some people have a biochem/genetics background so didn't see the need to buy those books. It also depends on how you study too. If you're a textbook reader then go for it, but pretty much all the material tested will be taught in lecture, so it's not like you'll be tested on something the professor didn't touch upon. Most of the books aren't required for the class. It'll say on blackboard if it's required or recommended. The books are good for reference if you need it. They are available in the library too to take out for a month or so. They also have some textbooks on hold that you can only take out for a day at a time as well.

I personally didn't think all the books were necessary. Especially for MBM and since those notes are very organized and you're tested on those handouts given in class. However it was helpful to many people to get the Lippincott. Anatomy is a different story. Definitely get Netter's atlas and the Moore's book is very useful too. Although you get powerpoints in anatomy and histo, there aren't a lot of words on them, just pictures, so it's good to have something to read if you didn't understand parts of the lecture.

Does anyone from the Georgia campus wanna share their opinion about purchasing the textbooks?

I have a low GPA -- 2.4. :( I messed up my entire academic career by devoting too much time to work (to support myself) and bf's (should have never dated a soul until I graduated Med School lol) However, when taking the AAMC MCAT practice exams, I have been scoring between a 32-37 (verbal reasoning section scores are fluctuating tremendously).
I will travel any avenue...any path... to become a doctor. Yet, do I even have a shot? What are the chances of me getting into the PCOM biomed program and then acceptance into their DO program?

I wouldn't put all your hopes in PCOM biomedical because they tend to place those with "less competitive' stats on the waiting list up till April before re-reviewing them. Not to mention, only about 14-20 of their students, including the 60 from first year and whatever number from second year matriculate into PCOM thus if your application is that weak in GPA, chances aren't high for PCOM's medical school imo.

If you can establish somewhat of an upward trend in grades between now and when you apply (Dec or November), it would help tremendulously. Understand that osteopathic SMPs are traditionally high linkage based which translates into probable matriculation if the program is successfully completed thus most of these programs require you to have a full medical school application otherwise and may even conduct interviews on site or over the phone. Touro NY is pretty lenient on the MCAT and may shift over to the GPA as well if you have a high enough MCAT score to "offset". LMU-DCOM and WCU-COM may be receptive to your cause as well for their biomedical programs.

I have a low GPA -- 2.4. :( I messed up my entire academic career by devoting too much time to work (to support myself) and bf's (should have never dated a soul until I graduated Med School lol) However, when taking the AAMC MCAT practice exams, I have been scoring between a 32-37 (verbal reasoning section scores are fluctuating tremendously).
I will travel any avenue...any path... to become a doctor. Yet, do I even have a shot? What are the chances of me getting into the PCOM biomed program and then acceptance into their DO program?

I would say you have a decent shot of still getting into the biomed program, especially if you apply early enough. I just finished my first year in the biomed program and now am a D.O. student here. A good number of biomeds in my class had gpas below 3.0, so that's why I think you still have a shot. This year there were about 21-23 people from the first year biomeds entering the DO class of 2014.

Anyone applying to the GA campus?

I was accepted. I sent in my $500 deposit a couple of days ago. I started the whole process at the end of December .It took about 3 weeks to get a final decision. If you interested I think you should apply early.

I was accepted. I sent in my $500 deposit a couple of days ago. I started the whole process at the end of December .It took about 3 weeks to get a final decision. If you interested I think you should apply early.

Congrats!! Well, I will apply in a few weeks. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I also sent in my deposit already. Do you know if we'll hear anything else from PCOM GA before the month that classes start?

Hey, everyone!
I applied to the PCOM BMS certificate program and was waitlisted :/
Anyway, after a series of phone calls, emails, and a letter of intent, an admissions director has asked to meet with me and has invited me to attend a D.O. Open House in a few weeks. I hope this is good news! Wish me luck! :) I'm a little nervous, but I want PCOM to know how much I want to be there and what I can bring to the school!

Last edited:
Hey, everyone!
I applied to the PCOM BMS certificate program and was waitlisted :/
Anyway, after a series of phone calls, emails, and a letter of intent, an admissions director has asked to meet with me and has invited me to attend a D.O. Open House in a few weeks. I hope this is good news! Wish me luck! :) I'm a little nervous, but I want PCOM to know how much I want to be there and what I can bring to the school!

Good Luck!!:)

I appled to the PCOM BMS certificate program too. Do you mind me asking when you sent your app in? I want to get a feel of how long I should be expecting to wait :confused:

Hey! Well it is rolling admissions or so they say. I actually sent my app in pretty early- like late October, early November. The letter got to me after Xmas break and it was dated January 6th. I can't really comment on how long it took because I sent mine in before they started reviewing apps (they started reviewing in mid-December.) You should call admissions and ask if they have looked over your app or how long it generally takes to hear of a decision. I was afraid of asking too many questions, but they are all so helpful! So nothing wrong with asking questions! Good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was accepted to this program 3-1-11! I was very excited. Are you in the area already (GA-PCOM)?

I finished my application around the 24-25th of february and they recieved the rest of my paperwork on the 4th of march.

I had a 2.52 gpa at UF and a 3.49 at Miami Dade College
My DAT test scores were
PAT17/QR18/RC17/BIO17/GC20/OC16/TS17/AA18

I finished my application around the 24-25th of february and they recieved the rest of my paperwork on the 4th of march.

I had a 2.52 gpa at UF and a 3.49 at Miami Dade College
My DAT test scores were
PAT17/QR18/RC17/BIO17/GC20/OC16/TS17/AA18

Wow that's a pretty quick turnaround! Man DAT scores look so confusing! Haha thanks for posting!

Oh haha I got my AA at MDC and finished my BS at Florida. So actually it was a quick turnaround to a downhill plummet.

Hey everyone, thanks for the posts. Glad to see so many people interested in PCOM! I received a letter last week saying that PCOM has decided to delay a decision on my admission and that they will continue reviewing my application in the coming weeks. Does anybody who has been accepted to the program (or anybody else for that matter) have any suggestions as to how I can improve my chances of being accepted? I emailed them expressing my continued interest in the program, however I thought there may be more that I can do. Thanks a lot in advance!

Hey everyone, thanks for the posts. Glad to see so many people interested in PCOM! I received a letter last week saying that PCOM has decided to delay a decision on my admission and that they will continue reviewing my application in the coming weeks. Does anybody who has been accepted to the program (or anybody else for that matter) have any suggestions as to how I can improve my chances of being accepted? I emailed them expressing my continued interest in the program, however I thought there may be more that I can do. Thanks a lot in advance!

Continue to update them on significant clinical activities, new class grades, new letters of rec, etc. Anything that is an upgrade to your application that they have yet to know about is positive to them and allows them to know that you are still interested in their prorgram.

Im a little confused, is the program in Philly one year with the option of another semester or 3 semesters?

I was accepted into GA-PCOM's BioMed program as well... Anyone going to their open house April 15th? I haven't received a response from PCOM either.

I didnt know they were having an open house but I may look into that. I sent in my deposit already. But other than the acceptance letter and admission forms I havent heard anything else.

I hate the waiting haha, why cant we just start already

Yep... paid it as well. They put my name on a open house list and said they would contact me if they made any changes. It's supposed to be April 15 in the evening... I recommend giving them a call if anybody is interested.

i sent in my admissions fee about 2 weeks back and havent heard anything from them yet. Anyone have a clue how long it takes to hear back from them for this?

i sent in my admissions fee about 2 weeks back and havent heard anything from them yet. Anyone have a clue how long it takes to hear back from them for this?
I mailed my app fee and my signature page on 3/4 and they updated the online status site by 3/8. Pretty quick. Definitely give them a call.

theyve received my app fee and sig page and I was accepted.
I sent in the 500 deposit but that was 2 fridays ago and I havent heard anything from them. I called and they said to email this woman who hasnt responded to my email yet.

Im just a wee bit worried

theyve received my app fee and sig page and I was accepted.
I sent in the 500 deposit but that was 2 fridays ago and I havent heard anything from them. I called and they said to email this woman who hasnt responded to my email yet.

Im just a wee bit worried

Oops I'm such a dork! I remember you saying you got in! When I read "fee" I immediately thought app fee. Sorry! But I hope that person emails you soon. :)