PCOM Biomedical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Does it actually take 2 months to get the binder after we send in the money?

Congrats! I was accepted at Philly late march but didn't send my money until mid- to late April, and just got my binder about a week ago - I think it just depends.

However, I'm not registered for classes yet, is anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry guys, double post and I can't figure out how to delete it!

Last edited:
Sent my deposit in today. Does anyone know what is in the binder?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent my deposit in today. Does anyone know what is in the binder?

Basic information about the school and program. The most important thing, in my eyes, was the log-on for Nucleus/Blackboard/email.

They have a good chunk of stuff on finances, class schedule, basic information about the school. That's all that really stood out in my mind.

Accepted! Does it actually take 2 months to get the binder after we send in the money?

It only took Ga about a week an a half for me to get the binder from the time they recieved the deposit. Pretty quick turn around.

For all those who have gotten the binder from the philly campus, when do classes end. The only reason I am asking is I'm starting to plan a wedding for next summer and we need to know when I'm done with class. Thanks for the help.

from 1caduceus

hey everyone - i've been accepted to the PCOM philly campus as well as LECOM's program. i'm tied up between the two, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions:

LECOM:
LECOM has a guaranteed acceptance with a min. 23 MCAT and 3.0 GPA while in the program, but from reading their forum it seems like the 3.0 in the program is pretty rough and if you don't make the cut, a 3.0 isn't going to help for a post bacc GPA.

PCOM:
It seems like everything i've read about PCOM (GA and philly) in this forum is pretty positive. It also seems like the program has led many people to high GPA's. However, it sounds like alot of the people are off on their own after the 1st year because of the late interviews.

Please give me your input/thoughts regarding these programs or if anyone knows acceptance rates from this program into other med schools. thanks.

Wondering if anyone has an opinion or answer to this? I've been accepted into both PCOM phily and LECOM's post-bac program and am trying to decide between the two. The 20k + living expense (PCOM - phily) is a huge investment and I'm worried about the possibility of being stuck 1 year from now with still no admissions into medical school.

PCOM-phily would be awesome simply because of location. Also reading this post and others like it the PCOM-philly post-bac sounds like a much better investment over LECOM. Still LECOM's guarenteed admission (23 MCAT and above 3.0 GPA) would be a really nice security of investment. I have a 26 MCAT and 3.3 cum / 2.8 science gpa for undergrad.

Also just sent a request to join the PCOM phily biomedical program group on facebook :thumbup:. What time are you guys thinking of moving to Philadelphia?

Last edited:
How many students(students going for med) in the post-bac program at PCOM are actually accepted into the DO program?

from 1caduceus

Wondering if anyone has an opinion or answer to this? I've been accepted into both PCOM phily and LECOM's post-bac program and am trying to decide between the two. The 20k + living expense (PCOM - phily) is a huge investment and I'm worried about the possibility of being stuck 1 year from now with still no admissions into medical school.

PCOM-phily would be awesome simply because of location. Also reading this post and others like it the PCOM-philly post-bac sounds like a much better investment over LECOM. Still LECOM's guarenteed admission (23 MCAT and above 3.0 GPA) would be a really nice security of investment. I have a 26 MCAT and 3.3 cum / 2.8 science gpa for undergrad.

Also just sent a request to join the PCOM phily biomedical program group on facebook :thumbup:. What time are you guys thinking of moving to Philadelphia?

I was in the same situation as you - this was my question, and here's my reasoning for choosing PCOM:

LECOM: the 23 and 3.0 sounds very appealing, and from what i've read from other forums, it's basically a guaranteed acceptance if you don't screw up the interview. However, apparently you're taking the exact same classes as the med students, BUT the med students only need to maintain a 2.0, while all of the post-baccs have to hit that 3.0 mark. From last year's class, 40% of the people did not make the 3.0 due to a professor failing around 50% of a class (who i think is being replaced this year). This year's class will probably be different, but who knows. my friend is graduating from LECOM this year, and his advice was, "most medical students in my class were around the 3.0 mark, but it wasn't a cakewalk. PCOM 's biomed will probably give you more options as far as med schools, and LECOM is a one-time shot at our school." In my opinion, if you don't get a 3.0 there, it's a nail in your coffin as far as med schools, because a 2.9 or whatever as a post bacc won't do much.

PCOM: the school and program is well-established. many people/Adcoms know about the program and have a high regard for the school. I know that their acceptance rate into their DO school is not as high as other programs, but this is probably due to the fact that PCOM is top choice for many DO applicants and MD applicants who do not get into an allopathic school. From other forums, it seems that if you meet the requirements as a biomed, you have a higher priority than the other applicants. In the past couple years, it seems like they have been accepting around 15-20 out of the 60-75 from the program (keep in mind that these numbers are due to some people that did not make the requirements, another 1/3 of people that were accepted to other medical schools, and another portion of students that did not apply to med school and went on to be a PA or get their masters/PhD). The one negative aspect that I've heard about this program is that they don't interview the biomed students until the spring (while many other applicants are already getting off of the waitlist). I feel that I would rather have an overall better shot at med schools by doing this program, than have "a good shot at one school" from the other programs. Also, if you don't happen to matriculate directly from their program, you could always stay on for the masters, re-take the MCAT in the summer, finish research/get published, get a committee letter from a great medical school, and have a better 2nd-round shot the following year. (Also, many specialties are requiring publishings in their areas anyways).

Hope this helps with your decision

I was in the same situation as you - this was my question, and here's my reasoning for choosing PCOM:

LECOM: the 23 and 3.0 sounds very appealing, and from what i've read from other forums, it's basically a guaranteed acceptance if you don't screw up the interview. However, apparently you're taking the exact same classes as the med students, BUT the med students only need to maintain a 2.0, while all of the post-baccs have to hit that 3.0 mark. From last year's class, 40% of the people did not make the 3.0 due to a professor failing around 50% of a class (who i think is being replaced this year). This year's class will probably be different, but who knows. my friend is graduating from LECOM this year, and his advice was, "most medical students in my class were around the 3.0 mark, but it wasn't a cakewalk. PCOM 's biomed will probably give you more options as far as med schools, and LECOM is a one-time shot at our school." In my opinion, if you don't get a 3.0 there, it's a nail in your coffin as far as med schools, because a 2.9 or whatever as a post bacc won't do much.

PCOM: the school and program is well-established. many people/Adcoms know about the program and have a high regard for the school. I know that their acceptance rate into their DO school is not as high as other programs, but this is probably due to the fact that PCOM is top choice for many DO applicants and MD applicants who do not get into an allopathic school. From other forums, it seems that if you meet the requirements as a biomed, you have a higher priority than the other applicants. In the past couple years, it seems like they have been accepting around 15-20 out of the 60-75 from the program (keep in mind that these numbers are due to some people that did not make the requirements, another 1/3 of people that were accepted to other medical schools, and another portion of students that did not apply to med school and went on to be a PA or get their masters/PhD). The one negative aspect that I've heard about this program is that they don't interview the biomed students until the spring (while many other applicants are already getting off of the waitlist). I feel that I would rather have an overall better shot at med schools by doing this program, than have "a good shot at one school" from the other programs. Also, if you don't happen to matriculate directly from their program, you could always stay on for the masters, re-take the MCAT in the summer, finish research/get published, get a committee letter from a great medical school, and have a better 2nd-round shot the following year. (Also, many specialties are requiring publishings in their areas anyways).

Hope this helps with your decision

Thanks for that. I'm feeling more certain about PCOM because I'd like to apply broadly rather then hope for a single school.

Side note, does anyone know if PCOM's program is rigorous enough that we can take shelf exams?

Hey Guys,
Just go accepted to Philly this past Monday :). Do you know where you'll be living? Also for those who live in Philly...I'm going to buy a used car when I'm there, how much do I need to worry about snow? Thanks for the help guys! I'll see you all in Philly in August.

Members don't see this ad :)

The one negative aspect that I've heard about this program is that they don't interview the biomed students until the spring (while many other applicants are already getting off of the waitlist). I feel that I would rather have an overall better shot at med schools by doing this program, than have "a good shot at one school" from the other programs. Also, if you don't happen to matriculate directly from their program, you could always stay on for the masters, re-take the MCAT in the summer, finish research/get published, get a committee letter from a great medical school, and have a better 2nd-round shot the following year. (Also, many specialties are requiring publishings in their areas anyways).

Yes they don't interview biomed students until the spring. But they do not start taking ppl off the waitlist, or form a waitlist for that matter, until all interviews are completed. This year in particular, they "differed" about 40 ppl who interviewed in Feb. and March until April 22nd. I'm assuming that was to ensure they met with every student they thought was qualified before filling the class. Once the class was filled, then they started to formulate a waitlist.

This just means that if you get an interview there is a spot open, and they are not filling it with individuals that were waitlisted. That was the case for this year any way.

Got into the Philly program! Now I need to decide between really cheap tuition at UMDNJ or paying more at PCOM, my dream school :love:

Got into the Philly program! Now I need to decide between really cheap tuition at UMDNJ or paying more at PCOM, my dream school :love:

congrats bohodo!!! I've been rooting for you after reading this thread. Regardless of what school you choose, I'm sure that you're persistance will pay off! PCOM is expensive but it's my dream school too...so I'm PCOM all the way. Good luck and I hope to see you in Philly.:)

Hey Everyone. First off, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!

I have a bit of a predicament. I was accepted by the Georgia campus last week and I was given a June 1st deadline to accept my spot, however my 1st choice is the Philly campus which I still have not heard from yet. Does anybody know if Georgia is willing to push back their deadline for acceptance? I feel a little awkward calling and asking them to wait for me to accept an offer from the Philly campus. Any advice?? Thanks and congrats again to everyone!

Hey Everyone. First off, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!

I have a bit of a predicament. I was accepted by the Georgia campus last week and I was given a June 1st deadline to accept my spot, however my 1st choice is the Philly campus which I still have not heard from yet. Does anybody know if Georgia is willing to push back their deadline for acceptance? I feel a little awkward calling and asking them to wait for me to accept an offer from the Philly campus. Any advice?? Thanks and congrats again to everyone!

How long has your file been complete at the philly campus. It took exactly 3 weeks for me to get a response once they had all the required materials. So if you coming up to 3 weeks then you should hear from them shortly. Anyone else agree/disagree.

How long has your file been complete at the philly campus. It took exactly 3 weeks for me to get a response once they had all the required materials. So if you coming up to 3 weeks then you should hear from them shortly. Anyone else agree/disagree.

My file was complete in late January/early February. I received a letter in March saying that they decided do delay a decision on my application. I never received any notice from the Georgia campus until last week when they accepted me. While Philly is absolutely my #1 choice, I would feel pretty foolish not responding to my GA acceptance and then get turned down from Philly.

congrats bohodo!!! I've been rooting for you after reading this thread. Regardless of what school you choose, I'm sure that you're persistance will pay off! PCOM is expensive but it's my dream school too...so I'm PCOM all the way. Good luck and I hope to see you in Philly.:)

Aww, thanks! I am leaning hard toward PCOM :D I hope to see you there, too! I need to figure out where to live... hmmm.

Last edited:
would it be too late to apply? I was planning on working to support my family but i was advised that I should be doing some program next year. I have a 3.30 GPA and a 27N MCAT

who else has joined the Facebook group for the Biomed-GA program?

I've joined the group :) I hope it gets bigger!

Also, OhioG, I'd strongly recommend sending in your application files now. The program fills up mostly during June, so you want to have all your documents and files in place asap. Your GPA and MCAT scores are good enough, and given that you have a strong LOR, essay, and volunteer/shadowing experience, I think you will get in. I would strongly suggest that you mail all your documents in, as I had trouble with my documents being processed or found in a timely manner when I sent them electronically via Interfolio. I hope that helps!

would it be too late to apply? I was planning on working to support my family but i was advised that I should be doing some program next year. I have a 3.30 GPA and a 27N MCAT

Hey OhioG,
I spoke with them last Monday before I recieved my acceptance on the same day. I was getting a little worried becuase my file wasn't complete after sending it in over a month ago. I agree with mashimaroinc you need to get your documents in ASAP. The lady at admissions said that it would be benefitial to get the apps in (and complete) by the end of this month. In terms of the app it's very simple. If you'd like, you can also send extra materials if you wanted to. I sent in 3 other strong LOR and the PS that I'll be using for this applicaiton cycle. I think these helped in getting a decision quickly because they recieved these materials not to long after they said my applicaiton wasn't complete ( not complete 5/9--> acceptance mailed 5/13). I'm not sure if your from Philly, but she also said that they do lean strongly towards in state students but they won't disqualify OOS. You're MCAT and GPA is competitive for this program. In thier FAQ (before it was removed) their average stats for matriculants were GPA 3.1 and MCAT 23 (if I'm remembering right). I hope this helps. :)

Hey Guys,
I'm waiting for my binder to come in and I'm not sure what I should be doing in terms of financail aid. I've completed my FAFSA and I can't access nuclues unless I have my user name and password. Do you have any suggestions that will allow things to go a little faster in terms of getting an award letter? Also, does anyone know the total max award that is given?
Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Hey, again, ATPace! http://www.pcom.edu/financial_aid/finaid_youred/Finaid_youred.html There is a question on this page that tells you the max you can get from Fed Stafford Loans. I was actually looking that up last night!

Hey Guys,
I'm waiting for my binder to come in and I'm not sure what I should be doing in terms of financail aid. I've completed my FAFSA and I can't access nuclues unless I have my user name and password. Do you have any suggestions that will allow things to go a little faster in terms of getting an award letter? Also, does anyone know the total max award that is given?
Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Hey, again, ATPace! http://www.pcom.edu/financial_aid/finaid_youred/Finaid_youred.html There is a question on this page that tells you the max you can get from Fed Stafford Loans. I was actually looking that up last night!

Thanks bohodo!!! I know that the Stafford Loans will cover tution, but does anyone know what the COA will be including living expenses? Any info will help. Take care guys...a little over 2 months to orientation...excited to meet all of you.

Thanks bohodo!!! I know that the Stafford Loans will cover tution, but does anyone know what the COA will be including living expenses? Any info will help. Take care guys...a little over 2 months to orientation...excited to meet all of you.

I talked to some one who completed the biomed program and is finishing his first year of med school at PCOM, and he said cost of living is around 20,000, but if you can get a room that you could cut that down a bit.

I talked to some one who completed the biomed program and is finishing his first year of med school at PCOM, and he said cost of living is around 20,000, but if you can get a room that you could cut that down a bit.

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to meet everyone in Philly! :)

Just curious to see if anyone else is still waiting on a decision from Philly? My application has been complete since the beginning of April, and aside from the "you're on hold" letter, I've yet to hear anything further. :xf: Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far! Thanks!

Just curious to see if anyone else is still waiting on a decision from Philly? My application has been complete since the beginning of April, and aside from the "you're on hold" letter, I've yet to hear anything further. :xf: Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far! Thanks!

Hey ZoeBear,
According to admissions, they'll make most of thier decisions by the end of June and they are already taking people off the waitlist. Is there anything you can add to your application like LORs, a letter of intent, or a PS for a professional program you're applying too? I think any of these mateirals would benefit you and will show that you're serious about going to PCOM. I hope this helps!

Hey ZoeBear,
According to admissions, they'll make most of thier decisions by the end of June and they are already taking people off the waitlist. Is there anything you can add to your application like LORs, a letter of intent, or a PS for a professional program you're applying too? I think any of these mateirals would benefit you and will show that you're serious about going to PCOM. I hope this helps!
Hey ATPace,
Thanks for your reply. I've already sent in more LORs than necessary, but my PS could certainly make a valuable addition to my application. Do you know if the applicants who are currently being removed from the wait list were aware they were even on it?

Hey ATPace,
Thanks for your reply. I've already sent in more LORs than necessary, but my PS could certainly make a valuable addition to my application. Do you know if the applicants who are currently being removed from the wait list were aware they were even on it?

Hey ZoeBear,
If you read back in this thread you'll see that some who were on the waitlist was accepted, so yes they knew were on it. If you do send in a PS or any other material, make sure to include a short letter expressing your interest (thats what I did anyway). Don't be afraid to call Admissions, they're really nice and great at getting back to you. Make sure to call, when I emailed them I recieved an auto reply message stating that they were busy and a reply to my questions would take a while. I hope this helps.

Hey ZoeBear,
If you read back in this thread you'll see that some who were on the waitlist was accepted, so yes they knew were on it. If you do send in a PS or any other material, make sure to include a short letter expressing your interest (thats what I did anyway). Don't be afraid to call Admissions, they're really nice and great at getting back to you. Make sure to call, when I emailed them I recieved an auto reply message stating that they were busy and a reply to my questions would take a while. I hope this helps.
Spent the afternoon getting everything together to send into them, including my one page letter, and decided to fax it in so they'd have it first thing tomorrow. I'm going to mail in the hard copy, as well, along with another letter of recommendation. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks again!

Spent the afternoon getting everything together to send into them, including my one page letter, and decided to fax it in so they'd have it first thing tomorrow. I'm going to mail in the hard copy, as well, along with another letter of recommendation. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks again!

No problem! I hope everything works out. Let us know what happens.:)

So I was accepted to the Ga-PCOM post bacc program and sent my deposit just to get my acceptance letter to the phili campus today. Anyone have any suggestions as to if the phili campus has advantages and I should change my mind?

So I was accepted to the Ga-PCOM post bacc program and sent my deposit just to get my acceptance letter to the phili campus today. Anyone have any suggestions as to if the phili campus has advantages and I should change my mind?

Hey jrs01,

Congrats on both acceptances! I think this questions canmostly be answered by you in terms of your personal preference of location.Many have said that the programs are the same so you don't have to worry abouttoo much variation. Philly does allow its Biomed students to work withcadavers, and I'm not sure if Ga allows for that. My thoughts to this is: Wheredo you eventually want to go to med school? I've had my sights on PCOM-Phillyand it would only be to my advantage (granting I perform well) if I went thereand got to know the profs, students, class structure etc. In others words, Idon't think you need to worry much about the curriculum being very different,you'll still be getting a good education and glimpse of what med school islike. I hope this helps!

Hey jrs01,

Congrats on both acceptances! I think this questions canmostly be answered by you in terms of your personal preference of location.Many have said that the programs are the same so you don't have to worry abouttoo much variation. Philly does allow its Biomed students to work withcadavers, and I'm not sure if Ga allows for that. My thoughts to this is: Wheredo you eventually want to go to med school? I've had my sights on PCOM-Phillyand it would only be to my advantage (granting I perform well) if I went thereand got to know the profs, students, class structure etc. In others words, Idon't think you need to worry much about the curriculum being very different,you'll still be getting a good education and glimpse of what med school islike. I hope this helps!

I agree with ATPace, what's your preference for med school? If the Philly campus is your top choice for med school then I suggest going there and visa versa. Also note that you will be able to interview for both med schools is you preform well at either campus.

I agree with ATPace, what's your preference for med school? If the Philly campus is your top choice for med school then I suggest going there and visa versa. Also note that you will be able to interview for both med schools is you preform well at either campus.

That's pretty cool. I never read anywhere on the forums that you could interview at both campuses if you met the requirements though - did you hear this from a previous student? Just curious.

That's pretty cool. I never read anywhere on the forums that you could interview at both campuses if you met the requirements though - did you hear this from a previous student? Just curious.

I received an email from PCOM last week with an attachment for info if you are planning on applying for med school. It just stated "need to know" info about what GPA you need and when you can interview for their DO program. The last note it makes is biomed students have the right to interview at both campuses. Hope this helps.

So I'm rushing to overnight my deposit first thing in the morning because I got my acceptance letter last night - somehow I didn't receive it through the mail, but my acceptance letters are dated July 13th. I'm not going to moan about how late it all is. I've sent a request for the FB group and I'll see you guys next month! :D

Anyone applying for 2012? Is there any reason why the application is not available online?

Anyone applying for 2012? Is there any reason why the application is not available online?
It isn't up because they haven't opened it just yet. I will be applying as an out of state student again this year. Don't wait until April or May if you're not a PA resident. Take it from me. haha

Does this program offer a linkage with the DO school? If so, what are the MCAT and GPA requirements in the Master's program?

How many students are accepted?

It isn't up because they haven't opened it just yet. I will be applying as an out of state student again this year. Don't wait until April or May if you're not a PA resident. Take it from me. haha

Uh oh. I was gonna wait until May because of my sciGPA (I can PM you with the details) and I am enrolled in a class that will allow me to replace my C- that I have, thus increasing my sciGPA. Since my stats are low I was thinking that I would wait until my gpa is the highest it could be, but after reading this, I"m starting to rethink that...is it better to just apply early with the C- or to wait until May 28 (that's when the class ends)...different SMP programs have been telling me different things and I've emailed PCOM NUMEROUS times and have not gotten a response yet.

Uh oh. I was gonna wait until May because of my sciGPA (I can PM you with the details) and I am enrolled in a class that will allow me to replace my C- that I have, thus increasing my sciGPA. Since my stats are low I was thinking that I would wait until my gpa is the highest it could be, but after reading this, I"m starting to rethink that...is it better to just apply early with the C- or to wait until May 28 (that's when the class ends)...different SMP programs have been telling me different things and I've emailed PCOM NUMEROUS times and have not gotten a response yet.

I was under the impression that we could send an updated transcript at the end of the semester if what was stopping us from gaining admission as a C- in a required course- but that may be for another school. Regardless, I guess it wouldn't hurt to email/call and ask. All I know if I need all the luck I can get, so I'm going to submit my app as early as I can.

I was under the impression that we could send an updated transcript at the end of the semester if what was stopping us from gaining admission as a C- in a required course- but that may be for another school. Regardless, I guess it wouldn't hurt to email/call and ask. All I know if I need all the luck I can get, so I'm going to submit my app as early as I can.

well tbh, I have NO clue because no ones answering my calls/emails.
if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?