PCOM Biomedical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and to answer this- 3.5/3.6 mcat 27

With those stats you are wasting your money on this program! Unless you want to prepare before medical school, but there are still other options that are much cheaper.

If you have above a 3.0 and 22 MCAT you should get accepted if applied early.

Members don't see this ad.

When I went to visit the school I dont remember seeing a bookstore...

I know you guys are saying just use the library copies but where can i get the books if i do wanna buy them..and when will i know what books I need? orientation??

(recently sent in deposit so havent gotten binder with any info yet)

Thanks guys!

stoked on GA!

I found out during the first days of class in PA.... so I don't know about GA. I almost always get the books from Amazon because of the cheaper price.

Also, my uGPA was a 2.8, MCAT 24. prittypistol, you'll be in good shape to get into a good school with the biomed program under your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks all!

I am applying right now to DO and a few MD..

I am kinda pissed cuz my undergrad (FSU) just told me if i had the biochem requirement i prob woulda had an interview when I applied last year)

i know i dont need this program but im stoked on getting my brain working, getting back into school, and esp at this campus being surrounded and motivated my med students and proffs!

yay

-do we really have to wait for the first day of class?? i was hoping to do some reading before they started. woot for being an uber nerd - ive been out of school for a year and a half its wayy too long i miss it

Dont think you need to wait till the fall. I started reading the BioChem book about a month ago. Thanks Plausible for letting me know what book to get! Though I dont know what chapters are covered in the program I just started with chapter one and have gotten to about 12 or so.

I have been out of school for a year as well and want to make sure the gears are well oiled before classes start.

Good Luck in GA!

Does anyone have an insurance company other than the one the school is offering? I'm from Florida and I have BCBS Blue pan. It is a very inexpensive plan geared towards low-income families or college students. Is there something similar in GA? I looked at the BCBS website and the quotes I'm getting are not all that great. Thanks to anyone who can help me in this matter.

Hi everyone,
I just found out 2 days ago that I got accepted to the GA biomed program and I live in Philly (got rejected to the PA campus). I talked about it with my husband and we decided that I will move to GA for the year and just come home some weekends. Class is mon, wed, thurs right? I am scheduled to take my MCAT for Sept 12th and am worried on how heavy the course load will be for the 1st month since it will overlap with my study time. Can anyone provide me thoughts on this please? Is there a posting where I can find a roommate as well? Thanks for any input!
Angela

So I was told orientation was Tuesday August 11th

my binder and nucleus say Thursday August 13th..

Do you guys know? I emailed them and am still waiting...

could any of the current students comment on how this program works, I read on here that there is no formal bridge to the medical program, but does it work kind of like rosalind franklins SMP where if you can maintain high enough grades you will automatically be granted an interview? and if so does anyone know what the average GPA is for students that have gotten into the med school?

thanks

Congrats on getting in, Gorgi! I currently live in Phoenixville, and i think i'm going to stay here and commute to Philly. Its about a half hour from the city. I'm worried that I might regret this later in the year though...

So I was told orientation was Tuesday August 11th

my binder and nucleus say Thursday August 13th..

Do you guys know? I emailed them and am still waiting...

Hey prittypistol,

My binder says the GA-PCOM orientation is on the 13th for the biomed program

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I just found out 2 days ago that I got accepted to the GA biomed program and I live in Philly (got rejected to the PA campus). I talked about it with my husband and we decided that I will move to GA for the year and just come home some weekends. Class is mon, wed, thurs right? I am scheduled to take my MCAT for Sept 12th and am worried on how heavy the course load will be for the 1st month since it will overlap with my study time. Can anyone provide me thoughts on this please? Is there a posting where I can find a roommate as well? Thanks for any input!
Angela

Hey angelaRN Congrats!!!
I wouldnt be able to comment on the course load b/c I myself will be studying for the MCAT as well while I do the GA-PCOM biomed program, however the lady in admissions has told me that this programs helps with studying for the MCAT. But you should be recieving a binder after you mail in your deposit that explains everything, esp your nucleus and email account login and password, and on nucleus theres postings to search for roomates or apartments as well.

Hey angelaRN Congrats!!!
I wouldnt be able to comment on the course load b/c I myself will be studying for the MCAT as well while I do the GA-PCOM biomed program, however the lady in admissions has told me that this programs helps with studying for the MCAT. But you should be recieving a binder after you mail in your deposit that explains everything, esp your nucleus and email account login and password, and on nucleus theres postings to search for roomates or apartments as well.

Hey October22, hah we're in the same boat as far as MCAT/Biomed. Congrats on getting into the program as well! When are you taking the MCAT? Mine is 9/12, just worried about taking the exam and starting the program within 2 months and on top of that trying to move. I actually just found some great roommates off craigslist, they are actually med students there. Look forward to meeting you in a month!

Does anyone else plan on working full-time while in the Biomed Program? I have been going back and forth trying to figure out if I should.

Hey guys,

Where are you planning on living next year? I'm really frustrated with this housing scramble.... I was in Philly this past weekend to check out a bunch of places. So far, Presidential City looks the best (yes, I have read the horrible online ratings but it seems like the safest bet at this point). I'm open to living in a Philadelphia suburb but can't really find much online that looks a.) reasonably priced and b.) in a nice, safe neighborhood. I'm looking for a studio or cheap one bedroom. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just so you guys know, I may be pulled off a waitlist (I'm next on the list) so for anyone who is still trying to get a seat there may be an opening soon! :)

Hey does anybody know a safe apartment complex to live in near GA-PCOM?????

its pretty safe to live near PCOM, its in and around suwanee, I live in georgia. The only dangerous places in georgia are the city, Atlanta is relatively dangerous, but PCOM is far away from that. so don't feel :scared: but be :love:

its pretty safe to live near PCOM, its in and around suwanee, I live in georgia. The only dangerous places in georgia are the city, Atlanta is relatively dangerous, but PCOM is far away from that. so don't feel :scared: but be :love:

Lol, thanks dapmp91

hey, does anyone know if the GA-PCOM class is full or if there are still seats left? thanks! =)

Does anyone know if you can be accepted into FSU College of Medicine if you do this program? FSU begins around the middle of May I think.

Thanks

is anyone going to be applying to the biomed for fall 10

I will be applying to the philly post-bacc program in the next few days. When have people historically applied to the med school after acceptance to the Post-bacc? Also, would you be using letters of recommendation from the pos-bacc or from your undergraduate? Thanks

Hello,

I wanted to post this to let those know who are applying to this program my experience. I have a low gpa but a decent MCAT so this program was exactly what I needed, under the impression that I did well in the classes. I am not trying to scare anyone away from this program this is my personal opinion and you can feel free to disagree. From other students in the class that have excellent GPA but low MCAT this program may not be the smartest option. Several of my friends in the program either applied to schools as early as possible and got acceptances by September or they just retook the MCAT and were immediately given interviews and acceptances at numerous schools.
For me however, I needed the coursework so if you have a low GPA this program is a smart choice. But, understand that this program has several flaws. The Philadelphia campus curriculum is a lot better. A lot more hands on from what I have been told. So your first semester ( your on trimester) you will take 2 classes. The first will bea class that involves Biochemistry, molecular and cell biology all in one. This was a tough course. best advice: memorize power points dont open or even get the book. Do well on research paper at end, this brought the average up and helped many pass the course. The next course has a title like biomedical modeling. The professor is brilliant, very smart and unique perspectives about physiology. The class...BAD. Ridiculous. you start by giving small presentations about minor topics: ficks law of diffusion, laws of motion etc. your in groups of around 5 for this. Then he lectures on some topics for second exam. Then you do group presentations for the rest of the time. What are the topics? ANYTHING YOU WANT. So, people did physics of golf, roller-coasters, skydiving, sexual partner selection factors, how to pick a diamond ring for future wife..etc. Utterly the most pointless med school prep..and its a shame because this professor really is great, his views on classes not.

Second trimester was difficult but not impossible. You'll take a anatomy course that is called human gross anatomy but you will never encounter a cadaver, i am told in philadelphia you do ? This class had an awesome professor. He throws no curve balls tells you exactly what is important and what isnt, avg exam around 88. This class was a gimme. Next class is embryology taught by a former orthopedic surgery who knows his stuff. Has an accent, Romanian, but he will expect the same from you as he does from med students which was a welcome change from being treated like a shunted nephew. This was a difficult course but he was very generous in tossing unfair questions and several that a good percentage of students missed.

I just started my final semester and am taking neuroanatomy and physiology. The neuroanatomy seems like it is pretty tough course, alot of information follows text almost word for word. The professor tests an operational knowledge and not memorization so clinical style questions that you have to analyze situations and so forth. The last class is physiology taught by the same professor that did biomedical modeling. This class I feel is vital to med school except that again instead of the awesome physiologist teaching the course he assigns group presentations for the whole course. So, you get a group, he gives you 3-4 chapters out of a medical physiology book and you have to prepare a presentation that lasts a class period and half. You make up practice and exam questions that he can use for exams. Groups pass questions around so there is no curve or fair chance if everyone knows all the group questions. The class is being taught by your peers so instead of focusing on facts, examples and clinical situations your going to be stressed about giving a 3 hour lecture on a topic that your not an expert in. Im not trying to rant and rave here, but honestly I dont want to hear students try to tell me about differential pressures in different chambers of the heart and all other aspecs of the cardiovascular system. I really want the awesome professor who has clinical experience to talk about senarios, case studies and pull from the text what is important and what is not. But, he refuses to do it this way. So this course is taught more like an MBA class than a science class.

Overalle I enjoyed my experience here at GA-PCOM and it did what I intended it to do. If I had to do it over i probably would have looked more into the philly campus because of the curriculum and better opportunities that would be available. Apart from the curriculum my class had SEVERAL problems with the administration, mainly admin staff. They have a problem of not interviewing Biomeds until now pretty much. So the students that dominated this program didn't get interviews until march. They announced that they would do early interviews for certain qualified candidates: 24 with 8 across the board and 3.3 GPA, but there was a mix up and these never happened. I personally realized I was not going to be interviewed until March so I didn't turn in my secondary I was accepted elsewhere and never did turn it in.

Ok I hope this post was informational and didn't offend anyone. This was not my intention. I have a great deal of respect for the faculty and staff at this school and dont want this to be taken as just someone who is complaining about whatever they can.

I live in Preston Hills in Buford GA, they are right down the road from Mall of Georgia and one exit from school on 85. Apartments are good. check em out and if you go with them they offer a referral fee I will gladly split it with you!

ps. get a third floor move in/out sucks but vaulted ceilings make them feel a lot larger.

how long does it generally take pcom to pull your material together once they receive it? I sent in my transcripts and my LOR on the 19th and have not heard from them yet. Once they have your material no file do they send you some type of email conformation?

just got a thin letter in the mail from pcom. i thought it was a rejection letter but turns out it was a conformation letter saying they have received all of my material for the program and that they will start reviewing my file soon.

so anyone get accepted lately? if so please share the date you completed your app and the date you received your acceptances

hi everyone. i am really really nervous. i applied to pcom - ga and philly. my gpa = 3.0 and i am taking the gre in a few days. i am still in the process of applying. they'll have all my information by middle of june. do you think by then most seats will get filled up?

the program in philly is #1 in my list. does anyone have insight into whether ga campus or philly campus is better?

i just got my acceptance letter from ga-pcom today for the certificate in biomedical studies. i applied to dental schools this year and did not get in so i was hoping to improve my application for the next cycle. i realize pcom is a school of osteopathic medicine...has anyone heard of someone graduating with the certificate in biomedical studies from pcom and getting into dental school the following year? i am just not sure if this program is right one for me or not and apparently i need to decide by june 7. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

koberaja:: hey from my understanding... i think anyone pursuing a graduate study can benefit from this program. if weakness is in ur gpa i think this is a good way to get it up and be a more competitive candidate for dental school. but if i were you i would call up dental schools and ask.

oh my god i feel like crying :(
this really blows

my app wont be completed til june 10th.
how bad is that??

PA campus is >> GA campus imo

Why did you wait so late to submit? Technically as long as the program isn't full and the deadline hasn't passed, you will still be considered but you definitely won't gain any favors to say the least.

Do you have a backup plan? I'd start scrambling to submit applications everywhere so you at least have other options (possibly) for this fall.

jslo85

hey
thanks for replying... um my application wont be complete til after june 8th because i take the gre on the 8th

ive applied to both pcom sites, umdnj, mississippi, barry but the thing is im so worried there wont be any seats left you know? have u heard of any one getting accepted as late is mid june or july?

im gonna try to make an appointment with an admissions officer and explain my situation and weigh my chances at acceptances...

do have any tips as to whatelse i can do?

I have a 3.0 over all GPA, sGPA thats much lower and an MCAT of 27.. If I applied early for next cycle you guys think I would have a shot? Also, does program start only in the fall.. meaning I couldn't start the program in the spring?

jslo85

hey
thanks for replying... um my application wont be complete til after june 8th because i take the gre on the 8th

ive applied to both pcom sites, umdnj, mississippi, barry but the thing is im so worried there wont be any seats left you know? have u heard of any one getting accepted as late is mid june or july?

im gonna try to make an appointment with an admissions officer and explain my situation and weigh my chances at acceptances...

do have any tips as to whatelse i can do?

Well what you can do is just call in to speak with an admissions officer or someone affiliated with the program you're applying to and ask whether the program is full and if not, how many seats are still available. If both of those are yes, then ask him if you still stand a reasonable chance by submitting your GRE score on said date and whether there have been any cases in the past where students have been accepted that late etc.

There really isn't that much you can do at this point other than inquire about that and there really isn't any more that anyone over there can tell you imo. You probably will get into Barry's MBS but probably the 2 year as I think the 1 year is full and most 2 year students would be on the waiting list for enterance into the 1 year. You can give LECOM's biomedical program a shot if you're pre-med as I think someone told me a week or so ago that there were still seats open when they spoke with the head recruiter, but you will definitely need to take the MCAT by January for the guaranteed interview.

Good luck

I have a 3.0 over all GPA, sGPA thats much lower and an MCAT of 27.. If I applied early for next cycle you guys think I would have a shot? Also, does program start only in the fall.. meaning I couldn't start the program in the spring?

Don't know if anyone on these forums can give you an accurate response, just apply as early as possible and try to make your application as competitive as you can to demonstrate that you have the potential to become a physician and deserve a second chance/look.

Well, your MCAT score is certainly good enough to get you in. The minimum score is 21. When I went to the open house this past March, they made it sound like the program is very beneficial for people with lower GPA's. Doing well in the program helps show them that you could likely handle the med school courses. Also, I am almost certain that the program only begins in the fall. Hope this helps.

Well, your MCAT score is certainly good enough to get you in. The minimum score is 21. When I went to the open house this past March, they made it sound like the program is very beneficial for people with lower GPA's. Doing well in the program helps show them that you could likely handle the med school courses. Also, I am almost certain that the program only begins in the fall. Hope this helps.

Starts August 16

i recently got into the biomed program at pcom - GA campus and am trying to set up my housing situation for the fall. i'm looking to move out and be in the area the first week of august and am in the market for some roommates to save some money :D

i was hoping to share a 2 or 3 bedroom apt near campus. i've heard a lot of good things about sugarloaf which is less than 5 miles from campus. feel free to send me a message if you're interested!

Hello,

I wanted to post this to let those know who are applying to this program my experience. I have a low gpa but a decent MCAT so this program was exactly what I needed, under the impression that I did well in the classes. I am not trying to scare anyone away from this program this is my personal opinion and you can feel free to disagree. From other students in the class that have excellent GPA but low MCAT this program may not be the smartest option. Several of my friends in the program either applied to schools as early as possible and got acceptances by September or they just retook the MCAT and were immediately given interviews and acceptances at numerous schools.
For me however, I needed the coursework so if you have a low GPA this program is a smart choice. But, understand that this program has several flaws. The Philadelphia campus curriculum is a lot better. A lot more hands on from what I have been told. So your first semester ( your on trimester) you will take 2 classes. The first will bea class that involves Biochemistry, molecular and cell biology all in one. This was a tough course. best advice: memorize power points dont open or even get the book. Do well on research paper at end, this brought the average up and helped many pass the course. The next course has a title like biomedical modeling. The professor is brilliant, very smart and unique perspectives about physiology. The class...BAD. Ridiculous. you start by giving small presentations about minor topics: ficks law of diffusion, laws of motion etc. your in groups of around 5 for this. Then he lectures on some topics for second exam. Then you do group presentations for the rest of the time. What are the topics? ANYTHING YOU WANT. So, people did physics of golf, roller-coasters, skydiving, sexual partner selection factors, how to pick a diamond ring for future wife..etc. Utterly the most pointless med school prep..and its a shame because this professor really is great, his views on classes not.

Second trimester was difficult but not impossible. You'll take a anatomy course that is called human gross anatomy but you will never encounter a cadaver, i am told in philadelphia you do ? This class had an awesome professor. He throws no curve balls tells you exactly what is important and what isnt, avg exam around 88. This class was a gimme. Next class is embryology taught by a former orthopedic surgery who knows his stuff. Has an accent, Romanian, but he will expect the same from you as he does from med students which was a welcome change from being treated like a shunted nephew. This was a difficult course but he was very generous in tossing unfair questions and several that a good percentage of students missed.

I just started my final semester and am taking neuroanatomy and physiology. The neuroanatomy seems like it is pretty tough course, alot of information follows text almost word for word. The professor tests an operational knowledge and not memorization so clinical style questions that you have to analyze situations and so forth. The last class is physiology taught by the same professor that did biomedical modeling. This class I feel is vital to med school except that again instead of the awesome physiologist teaching the course he assigns group presentations for the whole course. So, you get a group, he gives you 3-4 chapters out of a medical physiology book and you have to prepare a presentation that lasts a class period and half. You make up practice and exam questions that he can use for exams. Groups pass questions around so there is no curve or fair chance if everyone knows all the group questions. The class is being taught by your peers so instead of focusing on facts, examples and clinical situations your going to be stressed about giving a 3 hour lecture on a topic that your not an expert in. Im not trying to rant and rave here, but honestly I dont want to hear students try to tell me about differential pressures in different chambers of the heart and all other aspecs of the cardiovascular system. I really want the awesome professor who has clinical experience to talk about senarios, case studies and pull from the text what is important and what is not. But, he refuses to do it this way. So this course is taught more like an MBA class than a science class.

Overalle I enjoyed my experience here at GA-PCOM and it did what I intended it to do. If I had to do it over i probably would have looked more into the philly campus because of the curriculum and better opportunities that would be available. Apart from the curriculum my class had SEVERAL problems with the administration, mainly admin staff. They have a problem of not interviewing Biomeds until now pretty much. So the students that dominated this program didn't get interviews until march. They announced that they would do early interviews for certain qualified candidates: 24 with 8 across the board and 3.3 GPA, but there was a mix up and these never happened. I personally realized I was not going to be interviewed until March so I didn't turn in my secondary I was accepted elsewhere and never did turn it in.

Ok I hope this post was informational and didn't offend anyone. This was not my intention. I have a great deal of respect for the faculty and staff at this school and dont want this to be taken as just someone who is complaining about whatever they can

I just wanted to ask all of the current or past Biomeds if you think the above post is a pretty accurate assessment of the PCOM-GA Biomed program? I was reading someone reply on the other PCOM thread that it's a great program and "has tremendous benefits."

In particular, I wanted to know what % of students who successfully complete this program get into PCOM-GA or PCOM-PA? How many students don't get into PCOM but get into another school? What are some of those other schools?

I need to decide between PCOM-GA Biomed or LECOM post-bacc and would like some input from current/past PCOM-GA Biomeds about their experience.

Hey OMMDOC, i just sent you a PM regarding your question. The information in it is originally from JSLO85 who is very versed in the information your looking for. Good Luck

I was recently accepted into the GA-PCOM Biomed program and am super excited! For those of you with questions about the requirements, I'm pretty sure a 21 is the minimum MCAT and 2.75 is the minimum GPA. However, they do allow a little wiggle room on this. I have a 3.0 GPA and 27 MCAT and I was accepted. I was told by a professor formerly on the admissions committee (who shall remain nameless) that if you maintain 3.5 GPA throughout the program, it is a guaranteed interview next fall for the GA-PCOM DO program. This is not something that is written in stone, but I was told it's common knowledge among the faculty/admissions committee. For those of you with doubts about doing the program, I would say go for it. Not only will it give you a chance to boost your GPA, it will also provide a chance to get to know the professors from the DO program. They could write your LOR or be very influential in getting you into med school.

I was recently accepted into the GA-PCOM Biomed program and am super excited! For those of you with questions about the requirements, I'm pretty sure a 21 is the minimum MCAT and 2.75 is the minimum GPA. However, they do allow a little wiggle room on this. I have a 3.0 GPA and 27 MCAT and I was accepted. I was told by a professor formerly on the admissions committee (who shall remain nameless) that if you maintain 3.5 GPA throughout the program, it is a guaranteed interview next fall for the GA-PCOM DO program. This is not something that is written in stone, but I was told it's common knowledge among the faculty/admissions committee. For those of you with doubts about doing the program, I would say go for it. Not only will it give you a chance to boost your GPA, it will also provide a chance to get to know the professors from the DO program. They could write your LOR or be very influential in getting you into med school.

Hi All-

I posted this in another thread, but thought it'd be put to good use here too:

I did the biomed program for 1 year and am now a first year DO Student. There are 6 others from my biomed class (a class of approx 55 students) in the DO class of 2012, as well as 2 others who came in after completing the 2nd year of the Biomed program. Several others from my biomed class are first years at other programs, both MD and DO.

Tuition was about $18,000 for the year.

If you were to start the biomed program in August, you'd probably get interviewed in February or so (to matriculate in Aug 2010). Pretty much everyone got interviewed, even the guy who never came to class and didn't have a snowball's chance. They did not accept anyone from our class until after the second term's grades were done in early March (I was accepted Mid-March), but this practice seems to have changed, as several of this years biomeds were accepted before grades came out. I suspect they changed this because there were others in our class who were excellent students, but went elsewhere because they were accepted earlier in the cycle and sent in deposits b/c they did not want to screw around waiting on GA-PCOM. I almost ended up at Nova because of this--I'm glad I didn't.

As far as stats for entrance into the biomed program go:

I had a 2.75 GPA. Most of the damage had been done some time ago. I was out of school, came back for 3 semesters, and had done very well. My MCAT score was really good. There were several other people I knew of with sub 3.0 GPAs, I think their MCATs were mid 20's. I got a 4.0 in the biomed program, and got to know my teachers, who also happen to be on the admissions committee. One of them really went to bat for me to get me into the DO program.

The biomed program is a great foot in the door to med school-I'm not sure I would have gotten in anywhere without it. Had I waited until this cycle to apply (with a full year of good grades at PCOM on my app), I'm sure I would have had a lot more interviews/acceptances than I did get. Last year's second year Biomeds got into some great programs. The program gives you a big leg up for anatomy in the first term. After that, you're in the deep end with everyone else, although I think this years biomed class got a taste of biochem.

If you need to buff your app, the program is a good way to go. Just make sure to DO WELL. A post-bacc can get you into school, but a poor performance would be a big nail in your coffin. I'd also check out Drexel's IMS program-I was waitlisted due to a tardy MCAT score, but from my research, you were pretty much guaranteed an in at Drexel if you performed in that program. The deadline is in April for that one, I believe.

Hope this answers y'alls (yeah, I really said y'all) questions.

Best of luck, and congrats to those that have been/will be accepted. See you in August.

:confused:

I just got accepted into GA-PCOM school. I was very worried because I just turned in my application just before memorial day weekend. I am so excited. I applied to dental school for the class of 2014 and i am waitlisted. I am know that going to this program will definately be a big help. I cant wait to meet everyone. PM me if you are going there in Aug 2010