PCOM Biomedical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Plausible. Is Anatomy taken in the Fall semester? I will likely be cutting back my hours or quitting all together but I was just wondering when I should. I am a CPA and dont think Tax season and Anatomy would be a good mix :). Thanks again for your help!

It's nice to see some more non-trads in the program!

No, it's not in the first trimester (fall). It is in the winter sem (mid Nov to the end of Jan). PCOM eases you in with the fall semester with their version of biochemistry and immunology. The fall semester requires virtually no extra time at school other than for classes. There will be some times you will have to set aside to meet with your group for group work in biochem.

I'm speaking about the biomed program in PA by the way. I don't imagine it's too diff. from GA.

Let me know if you have any other questions :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

That is good that they dont start off with Anatomy right away. Can you tell me the order of the classes? I too will be going to the PA program. I just got my acceptance last week and really cant find when/what classes I will be taking.

Just got my acceptance letter today - the first SMP I've been officially 'accepted' to.

So at least I don't have to hitchhike around the country for a year, which was backup plan G...

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your ECs/LORs/GPA/MCAT like plausible...if you dont mind answering.

That is good that they dont start off with Anatomy right away. Can you tell me the order of the classes? I too will be going to the PA program. I just got my acceptance last week and really cant find when/what classes I will be taking.

Classes are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. From 5-9pm

1st semester
Infectious process (IP)
Molecular Basis of Medicine (MBM)

2nd semester
Human Gross Anatomy + Cadaver Lab
Histology + Histo Lab

3rd semester
Pharmacology
Human Physiology
Neuroscience

What was your ECs/LORs/GPA/MCAT like plausible...if you dont mind answering.

I had an overwhelming amount of community service ECs in my undergrad which lead me to a 2.8 cumm gpa upon graduation. I believe I had 2 very strong letters an 1 "okay" letter. My MCAT was a 24 (I should have taken some kind of course). Since I graduated, I've gotten a 3.9 in all formal/informal post-bac courses. I think I'm closer to a 3.95 total post-bac gpa with the biomed program.

hey guys.. I just applied and sent everything out today for GA certificate program..

Do youknow if the program will end by next may/June???

hey guys.. I just applied and sent everything out today for GA certificate program..

PCOM-PA's biomed ended on may 18th this year

Plausible could you tell me what texts are used for BioChem and Immunology? I was thinking of getting a head start for the fall.

Plausible could you tell me what texts are used for BioChem and Immunology? I was thinking of getting a head start for the fall.

Mark's Medical Biochemistry
http://www.amazon.com/Marks-Basic-M...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242926954&sr=8-2
This is the recommended text for the course. Most of the professors, including myself will recommend you not to buy the books, as you can easily gain access to them at the library. They typically recommend you to only use them as a reference. There is an exception to every rule. Biochem is def. a weakpoint of mine, and I would have been loss without a text.

Additionally, MBM (molecular basis of medicine... PCOM's version of biochem) is 6 units while IP (infectious process) is 3 units, so that will help you determine how much time you need to allocate to study for each course. While each course is impt to get A's in, MBM and anatomy are the big ones to ace.

Straight from the blackboard site for IP said:
There are no required textbooks for the Infectious Process Course. However, the following textbooks are particularly useful adjuncts to lecture material:
Murray et al. Medical Microbiology, 5th Edition. Mosby, Inc.
Peter Parham. The Immune System, 2nd Edition. Garland Publishing
Robbins & Cotran. Pathologic Basis of Disease, 7th Edition. Elsevier Saunders
(this textbook is available online through the library)
I REALLY recommend not getting the rec'q text for IP, just read in the library.

the binder i got in the mail said classes end in june. hope that helps! :)

hey guys!!
i just got into GA PCOM's biomedical sciences program!! :D
has anyone else applied for fall 2009?
have you applied to the program desiboy?
:)

Hello, I got accepted into the GA PCOM biomedical sciences program as well. Congrats

Has anyone taken this Biomedical program at GA? is the class schedule the same as posted for philly? I have been accepted and will be mailing my deposit in shortly, who else has been accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken this Biomedical program at GA? is the class schedule the same as posted for philly? I have been accepted and will be mailing my deposit in shortly, who else has been accepted?

This has been answered on the first two pages.

I'm really confused... I finally got access to Nucleus and according to PCOM GA's biomed handbook, Human Anatomy and Embryology are the first two classes we'll be taking. Is this a mistake on their part? Well, maybe they want to change things up a bit this coming semester. If someone could please verify this, I'd really appreciate it! Also, I am 3 months pregnant right now, so I wonder if I'll have to wear a mask in anatomy lab because of the formaldehyde(???) If someone knows anything about this, please let me know!

Thanks

how do you get access to Nucleus? are the user name and password already set for you, and you just have to wait for pcom to send it to you..?

how do you get access to Nucleus? are the user name and password already set for you, and you just have to wait for pcom to send it to you..?

PCOM will send you a binder with all the information. they will give you your username and a temporary password. :)

There's going to be an open house for all the PCOM graduate programs on June 11 from 6-8pm in philadelphia. Georgia's is on the 18th.

So if you are trying to decide between PCOM's program vs. another school, or want more info, this is your chance. There will be a bunch of former biomeds at the philly campus to answer your questions. Here's the link to the open house: http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_Upcoming_Events/adm_upcoming_events.html

Does anyone have any recommendations for housing for PCOM GA? I looked at some apt complexes but have read some seriously bad reviews about the places.

Does anyone have any recommendations for housing for PCOM GA? I looked at some apt complexes but have read some seriously bad reviews about the places.

Search SDN if you haven't already. There seems to be a few threads on this. Once you get your log-on info for nucleus, you can look at what other PCOM-GA students are doing. Student affairs over at GA can also help. Try not to rely on apartmentratings.com too much since people like to complain till the cows come home on that website...

Hi everyone!
Quick question; does anyone know if PCOM prefers a committee letter or a letter from an individual science prof/pre-med advisor for their LOR requirement?
I called admissions the other day and they weren't sure.
thanks!

I am not if there is a preference as to committee or Pre Med letter. However, I do know it must be from the school that you received your bachelors from. I was on hold for a long time because I only gave them letter from Pre-Med Professors and not from an Accounting prof, which is what I received my BA in.

Hi everyone!
Quick question; does anyone know if PCOM prefers a committee letter or a letter from an individual science prof/pre-med advisor for their LOR requirement?
I called admissions the other day and they weren't sure.
thanks!

i'm pretty sure they want a committee letter, but if you don't have a committee they will take a pre-med advisor's letter. at least that's what i've read on the website. :)

I didn't use a committee letter when I applied and I got in last year. Also, instead of sending in 3 letters I also tossed in an extra to make it 4.

Search SDN if you haven't already. There seems to be a few threads on this. Once you get your log-on info for nucleus, you can look at what other PCOM-GA students are doing. Student affairs over at GA can also help. Try not to rely on apartmentratings.com too much since people like to complain till the cows come home on that website...

Yea I read some of the reviews and I was like....ooo man, what am I getting myself into, lol. But I think the century point apartments look good but I am unsure still. Thanks for all of your help

Yea I read some of the reviews and I was like....ooo man, what am I getting myself into, lol. But I think the century point apartments look good but I am unsure still. Thanks for all of your help

you should check out the the reserve at sugarloaf apartments. those are about 2 miles away from school. and also check out 5375 sugarloaf parkway apartments. :)

I checked out the 5375 sugarloaf and those seem really nice and were recommended on another thread. Another question, I have read that some people have worked full or part time during the biomed program. Where did anyone find employment, how many hours, and can you take additional money for financial aid to help with costs of living during this program. It may already be posted but I have not seen it. Thanks

Hey, in GA i've decided to live in preston hills in Buford. I was told other PCOM kids were possibly going to live there too. Just wondering if anyone else will be there?

Also, i visited Centry point and they were my second choice, I was just a little nervous bc the ladies said that it housed many undergraduates from surrounding colleges. (I'm not into the huge party scene while trying to get into med school!) But it did have an easy drive to campus and was affordable.

What would be considered late for submitting an application intended for Fall 2009 acceptance into PCOM's post bac?

There is no deadline- they have rolling admissions until the class is filled, so I would apply whenever you have taken your GREs/MCATs, or submit your online app and then send your scores in.

when would it be considered too late to submit an application (for PCOM post bac) if you were to apply for the Fall semester?

Does anyone know the class size for the Biomed program for this Fall?

Did you hear of acceptance via snail mail? I got a call to confirm my mailing address and im taking this as acceptance letter/packet will be on its way?

Anyone going to be living in atl and commuting?

I was thinking of enjoying the city while we only have class in the evenings and depending on where i am next year living right by the school..

25 mile commute doesnt seem to bad (totally doing now for work in chicago)

SEe you guys in august! (i think?)

Actually, you won't see me... i'll be in Philly. I heard from them via snail mail though, hang in there!

Actually, you won't see me... i'll be in Philly. I heard from them via snail mail though, hang in there!

Accepted to Philly campus! Can't wait! Although still hoping PCOM pulls me from the waitlist for this fall, I'm so excited to be going to school there either way!

After speaking with several professors, they all say that we learn less clinical correlates, and about the same amount of the science that the medical students learn. For example, in biochemistry, we learned about the different functions of HDL, LDL, etc, but we only covered a few basic clinical correlates that related to LDL, such as familial hyperlipidemia. Whereas, the med students would learn a whole list of diseases related to abnormal LDL, HDL, etc...

While I understand this, it is a shame they don't add more clinical correlates, it gives the subject more of a dimensional view that just straight science.

Aiya, it's been a while since I've been to this thread. Summer research has been keeping me busy. Anyway, it was nice to meet some of you at the open house a few weeks ago. Good luck everyone, and let me know if I can help answer any of your questions.

While I understand this, it is a shame they don't add more clinical correlates, it gives the subject more of a dimensional view that just straight science.
Well, you've also got to consider that not everyone who does the program wants to goto DO or MD school. There's a few potential biomed students that I have talked to during PCOM's open house who have applied as pre-optometry students. They definitely don't need to work on cadavers or need to learn clinical correlates relating to the bladder, GI, etc.. but they've got to take it anyhow as a biomed. I for one, would have loved more clinical correlates, but I'm pretty sure I only represent only a small minority in the biomed class.

Psych1985 said:
Accepted to Philly campus! Can't wait! Although still hoping PCOM pulls me from the waitlist for this fall, I'm so excited to be going to school there either way!
CONGRATS... still, I hope you get into the DO class of 2013. :xf:

prittypistol said:
Did you hear of acceptance via snail mail?
Typically via snail mail. They only give you a phone call if it's getting close to the first day of school.

tarpon4269 said:
Does anyone know the class size for the Biomed program for this Fall?
For the past few years, it has ranged from about 60-80.

nehaUOR said:
when would it be considered too late to submit an application (for PCOM post bac) if you were to apply for the Fall semester?
The sooner, the better. Rolling admissions is terrible, in the sense that it gives you a chance to slack off on your own end of the deal. The "absolute" deadline is July 15th for PA.

LiLOne2085 said:
I GOT IN!!!
CONGRATS :thumbup:

twocentnews said:
how many copies [of Marks' basic medical biochem] are there in the library?
I just checked on PCOM's library website. They have 4 of the newest edition available for check-out and 1 on reserve.

glrandal said:
Where did anyone find employment, how many hours, and can you take additional money for financial aid to help with costs of living during this program. It may already be posted but I have not seen it. Thanks
I don't recommend working for this simple reason: like most post-bac programs, they will make you or break you. You want every opportunity to do well in the class. With that said, if you do want to work, I really recommend work-study. You can often work in a lab with a professor (who probably will be teaching you... also could be a potential source of a LOR), or work as a student-librarian (gives you a chance to study during downtime in the library.. think being "paid to study"), work for a doctor's office (LOR from doc). Basically, a work-study job, if you get a federal loan, is like killing 2 birds with one stone. It can give you the opportunity to get another LOR and get money. As for finding a job outside of PCOM, you are on your own.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Just withdrew from my spot in the Biomed program here, so good luck to whoever takes it!

I have just recently been accepted to the Ga-PCOM biomed program. I was wondering The level of difficulty of this program, Also is there anyone who did 2 years of the program to gain their masters? It seems as though everyone here is only doing the certificate program. Did anybody do the masters program and applied to a M.D school?

Is anyone that is going to GAPCOM for the fall 2009 looking for a roomate?

bumpin this right back up. I just finished taking the MCAT, and I will be applying to these two programs now, I hope I get the opportunity to meet and study with some of you

I have just recently been accepted to the Ga-PCOM biomed program. I was wondering The level of difficulty of this program, Also is there anyone who did 2 years of the program to gain their masters? It seems as though everyone here is only doing the certificate program. Did anybody do the masters program and applied to a M.D school?

You take the same classes as the medical students, taught by the same professor that each the med students. The caveat lies in the fact that biomeds have more time to absorb less information. So the difficulty of the material is not too different from med students, but we get a lot more time to study it.

Everyone who enters the biomed program is required to complete, at the very least, the certificate program. Then, you may continue to get your masters via: research, ODL, non-research (GA-only), forensics...

I currently know of several people in the PA campus that are currently working on their masters.

I know of people that applied to both DO and MD programs who just did the cert., so I imagine there would be people with an MS that would apply to both types of med schools as well.

I just got into the Philly Biomed Sciences program! I'm soo happy that I finally have somewhere to go next year that I can be excited about! I'm still on the D.O. waitlist and am hoping enrolling for the biomed program doesn't hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist..... but whether I'm off the waitlist or not, I'm still going to PCOM! :)

I just got into the Philly Biomed Sciences program! I'm soo happy that I finally have somewhere to go next year that I can be excited about! I'm still on the D.O. waitlist and am hoping enrolling for the biomed program doesn't hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist..... but whether I'm off the waitlist or not, I'm still going to PCOM! :)

Gorgi, congrats! We are in the same boat! But I agree, atleast we will be at PCOM!

Has any other student receive their info packet? I received a letter saying my deposit was received and an email that orientation is 8/11 but still not the packet.

Thanks.

Thanks Psych1985!

For anyone going to the Philly biomed program, whereabouts are you living? I've looked online at many of the apartments around PCOM but am not sure how filled up everything is since it's almost July already...

Thanks Psych1985!

For anyone going to the Philly biomed program, whereabouts are you living? I've looked online at many of the apartments around PCOM but am not sure how filled up everything is since it's almost July already...

I just secured my spot at Beekman place. They still have a few more apartments available :)

Is anyone else staying at Beekman? I would rather not pay to park my car at PCOM and if we can get together a little group to walk over every night (since I'm female and would rather not walk alone at night) that might save a few of us some money. It's only about 2 blocks away!

wow this thread's been a big hit :D anyways what kinda GPA MCAT do you guys have who are being accepted into this program?

When I went to visit the school I dont remember seeing a bookstore...

I know you guys are saying just use the library copies but where can i get the books if i do wanna buy them..and when will i know what books I need? orientation??

(recently sent in deposit so havent gotten binder with any info yet)

Thanks guys!

stoked on GA!