PCOM Biomedical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this program?

Members don't see this ad.

more specifically-what kind of GPA is competitive (approximately what range)

I go to Ga-PCOM, and the program has been really good so far. Really competitive. A good GPA to enter his program would be around 2.75 and up. It also depends on your scores (MCAT=20 and above). Hit me up if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the Open House at PCOM in Philadelphia. Seems like an awesome program, you can go for 1 or 2 years. They might be having more info sessions I would look into it, I had a few really great students talk to me about the program and it was really helpful :)

Having a hard time finding a deadline for the Fall 2009 class. Do any of your guys know it by any chance? Thanks in advance.

Having a hard time finding a deadline for the Fall 2009 class. Do any of your guys know it by any chance? Thanks in advance.

There is no deadline- they have rolling admissions until the class is filled, so I would apply whenever you have taken your GREs/MCATs, or submit your online app and then send your scores in.

There is no deadline- they have rolling admissions until the class is filled, so I would apply whenever you have taken your GREs/MCATs, or submit your online app and then send your scores in.

THANKS! :thumbup:

I go to Ga-PCOM, and the program has been really good so far. Really competitive. A good GPA to enter his program would be around 2.75 and up. It also depends on your scores (MCAT=20 and above). Hit me up if you have any more questions.

Hey premedinpa, Do you know how many people they accept usually?

How competitive is it to enter the program, is there many applicants? Thanks for the info..

How competitive is it to enter the program, is there many applicants? Thanks for the info..

This program is getting more competitive. Although it is not as well known as the georgetown SMP, all of the DO school know about the Biomed program at PCOM and GA-PCOM. I have no idea about the number of applicants for the biomed program, but PCOM gets the highest number of applicants for their DO class. Just look at their stats in the AACOMAS instruction guide. BUT don't be intimidated by their numbers, their admissions staff is very friendly and helpful. Shoot them some questions.

Most of the students I know in the class have a 3.0+ GPA, but there are more than a few with a sub 3.0 GPAs. Also, there are a handful of students who applied to DO school last year, interviewed, but didn't make it into the DO program.

Also, here are the classes for the cert. program:

1. Molecular basis of medicine
2. The infectious process
3. Histology
4. Gross Anatomy with cadaver lab
5. Neurosciences
6. Medical Pharmacology
7. Physiology

Classes are monday, tuesday, & thursday from 5pm-9pm.

Hey plausible,

Can you tell us more about the program? How do you like it so far? It there a lot of studying that needs to be done on your own? (The classes don't seem to meet for very long each week) Is there a linkage into PCOM if you do well in the program? And lastly, how good/helpful are the staff and professors?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey plausible,

Can you tell us more about the program? How do you like it so far? It there a lot of studying that needs to be done on your own? (The classes don't seem to meet for very long each week) Is there a linkage into PCOM if you do well in the program? And lastly, how good/helpful are the staff and professors?

Thanks in advance.

I've really enjoyed this program. I picked it over Drexel's program after talking to others through SDN. There is a lot of studying that needs to be done on your own due to the nature of the classes. The classes are taught by the same professors which teach the DO classes. The material taught to the DO class and the biomeds are very similar, but with less clinical correlates and detail. Also, for the gross anatomy class, the cadavers are already dissected by the first year DO students. The anatomy faculty also save 1 fresh cadaver for the entire class to dissect, with groups of 4-5 rotating every few days. I have really enjoyed learning anatomy with cadavers and PCOM is one of the few schools that has a cadaver lab for their post-bac students.

Linkage isn't written on paper. You won't find "linkage" written anywhere on PCOM's website, but PCOM likes to keep their own. Biomeds that have moved PCOM's DO school are doing very well, as in close to, or at the top of the class. Having gone over the material once before must help :). Also, there are many first and second year DO students who have helped me along-the-way by providing tips, and spending time with me in anatomy lab, all because they were in my shoes a few years ago as a biomed.

While there are a few faculty members who aren't approachable, the majority is. I have no problems calling to see if my professors are in the office and them going in to ask questions. We all have a faculty advisor we can turn to for questions as well.

Finally, I'm also active in a few clubs on campus. I thought I'd be intimidated by the DO students, but they were very welcoming... again because there's quite a few biomeds in the DO program now.

Best of luck to you...and btw, I moved from so cal to philly.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has any further questions, i'll be checking this thread periodically.

Last edited:
are there any differences between the PCOM Biomed program located on GA campus and on the on located on the Philadelphia Campus. I actually called them and they told me if I wanted to go to the GA campus I would have to apply to the GA campus separately from the one on the philly campus. SO if you get accepted to the GA campus don't automatically expect that you also got in the one in philly. However, since the one on GA campus is just another satellite of PCOM, shouldn't being accepted to one basically mean you can get into the other? :confused: anyways, what is the range of GPA's like for those who got accepted. I heard anywhere from 2.75-3.2 overall GPA is good/competitive. BUT I really wanna go here, its my #1 choice, the program just seems like a perfect fit for me, so if you guys have any pointers for upcoming applicants that would definitely help :thumbup:

Just wanted to make sure I understood the program...you guys take all the medical school classes that the DO class does, right? or do you skip any? also, is it possible to get a masters degree from all this?

Just wanted to make sure I understood the program...you guys take all the medical school classes that the DO class does, right? or do you skip any? also, is it possible to get a masters degree from all this?

i think its all the med school classes basically, but you don't go too in depth into them. You CAN make it into a master's degree by adding a year of research. So the first year is biomed (med school classes) and then you can apply to med school, or you can go onto second year in the same program which is just research and apply again to med school, or dental school or get into a PhD program. But I was wondering, what kinda job would you get by just getting a regular 2 year masters from there?

i think its all the med school classes basically, but you don't go too in depth into them. You CAN make it into a master's degree by adding a year of research. So the first year is biomed (med school classes) and then you can apply to med school, or you can go onto second year in the same program which is just research and apply again to med school, or dental school or get into a PhD program. But I was wondering, what kinda job would you get by just getting a regular 2 year masters from there?

I guess you could find a university research position...come to think of it I don't even know why I asked since I only want to do medicine anyway. only thinking about the year off probably

could you elaborate a bit further about how you don't go too in depth in the med school classes? that doesn't hurt the reputation of the program does it?

Are the classes taken separately from the med students?

Are the classes taken separately from the med students?

Yes, when I went to visit they told me all the classes are taken with all the BioMed students, they are the same teachers that teach the DO students though.

Hey guys I just found out that if you were to continue with the second year with these programs the Georgia Campus is the only campus that offers the non-Thesis track. Thesis obviously implies that you must conduct research in order to be granted your MS in Biomedical sciences. There are a few differences between PCOM Ga and PCOM Philly. The classes in the Ga campus are smaller, however you will have a greater chance of meeting and mingling with the professors. The area is really private and suburban if your looking for something like that. The classes are the same in both classes. They are taught in trimesters. There really isn't a deadline for applications it's on a rolling basis but I was talking with the admissions committee for Biomed and they have rejected at least 5 appz. I don't know why or what their backgrounds were but I do kno ppl have been rejected already. I would suggest you to start applying already bc if ppl have been rejected (also some have been waitlisted) then obviously they have been accepting students as well. But like i said Ga campus is smaller so less students, on an avg for DO seats Philly campus has around 275+ seats for 1st year students while Ga campus has only 86 seats. So with that ratio imagine how many seats there are for the bio med class. They like ppl who apply early to their post bac bc if it's on rolling admission then they're just going to fill up seats as they come, this year they filled (Fall2008-2009 year) up by May/July not sure but I sent in my application around april and got in by july (Missing Recommendation letter) DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU! They almost denied me bc they only had 1 seat left and they were waiting on my letter since april.

Biggest question on ppls minds : MCAT & GPA
while those may seem like the biggest criteria they are but other factors go in as well. Our range for mcats (Fall 2008-2009 Ga campus biomed) was from 17-36 (don't really know the essay grades) This year they (admission committee) were talking about increasing that criteria to at least 20 & up. But GPA also plays a big factor in deciding for acceptance. Let's say you have 15 on the mcat but your undergrad gpa was around 3.5+ then you'll probably get in. Now here's just something i found interesting. I took the mcat in august 2007 with no studying at all and ended up with a 22O (P6 V9 B7). After the 1st semester of this year my practice tests -3 of them have avged at P9V11B12 so trust me this program will teach you to basically think. I know that sounds wierd but trust me you'll see what I'm talking about once you hopefully get in. Now don';t forget that your essay and recommendation also plays importance. Your essay basically should define why you are doing this program and what do you expect to gain from this-an easy essay all you have to do is explain your situation, and then lead into how you think this program will help you then explain your future goals... and then summarize your expectations of this program with your future goals.

Alright I hope this helps
Oh yeah here's how the Ga class schedule is like

1st semester
MW 4-7 Biochemistry Celllular and Molecular Biology (Medicinal Biochemistry) (this will be your hard class) 6 credits
TR 5-8 Biomolecular Modeling (It's Intro to Physiology with the best professor you'll ever have) 5 credits

2nd Semester
MW 4-7 Gross Anatomy 5 credits
T 4-7 Embryology
R 4-7 Histology
(HARD SEMESTER)
I came from a biochem background so these are all new classes to me

3rd semester
Neuroscience
Physiology

so what other opporutinities are available besides getting into DO or MD school after the Biomed program (the full 2 years), like just in case you don't get into either, sorry to sound pessimistic but I just want to know that those 2 years and all that money don't go to waste

so what other opporutinities are available besides getting into DO or MD school after the Biomed program (the full 2 years), like just in case you don't get into either, sorry to sound pessimistic but I just want to know that those 2 years and all that money don't go to waste

There's more than a few students in my biomed class that are in the application pool for PCOM's PA program. There's also quite a few aiming their sights on dentistry and optometry. The certificate program is used to improve your academic credentials for not just med school, but for any health professions school. Finally, pharma is also big around the philadelphia area and there are people that go into that after an MS in biomed sciences.

de_la_soul said:
could you elaborate a bit further about how you don't go too in depth in the med school classes? that doesn't hurt the reputation of the program does it?

The biomed program has a good reputation amongst the DO schools and the other health profession schools around the philly area. After speaking with several professors, they all say that we learn less clinical correlates, and about the same amount of the science that the medical students learn. For example, in biochemistry, we learned about the different functions of HDL, LDL, etc, but we only covered a few basic clinical correlates that related to LDL, such as familial hyperlipidemia. Whereas, the med students would learn a whole list of diseases related to abnormal LDL, HDL, etc...

hi guys I was wondering who applied already for fall of 2009 and I was wondering if anyone got accepted

hey guys!!
i just got into GA PCOM's biomedical sciences program!! :D
has anyone else applied for fall 2009?
have you applied to the program desiboy?
:)

hi, i applyed to the philadelphia one u didn't apply to the philly one and when did u apply?

hey all,
I just decided today that I was going to apply for the program (Philly campus)! I reviewed the information online and the posts in this forum and there seems to be a lot of good news about the program. I will submit everything in this week and take my GREs in March. Very nervous about this all because of my GPA :scared::scared: its kinda eh...:thumbdown:. Anyhoo, going to send everything this week and take my GRE this March...here goes nothing :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone during the application process..

and current students in the program..Keep Posting and sharing the stories

Hey guys, I'm so glad I found this thread. I actually posted this question in another thread, but I think this is the better home for it:

So I've applied to PCOM GA this year and have not gotten an interview. Now I am applying to the certificate program, and will be applying to PCOM GA again this summer as well, when AACOMAS is available online. My question is this: if I start the biomed classes in August 2009, would I have to wait until the end of the first school year, in 2010, to expect an interview if I have a 3.5? And that interview, would it be for matriculation into medical school for the Fall of 2010? Or would it be for the NEXT application cycle, so matriculation in 2011? I hope this isn't confusing. I just want to know when interviews are granted and when I would actually matriculate if I was accepted. And what if after the first trimester I have a 3.5? I hear about biomeds having interviews in January. Are these students in their first years and they just did really well their first trimester? Or are they second year biomed students who have a 3.5 from their cumulative first year? I hope these questions make sense!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer these Q's. I'm moving from Texas to Georgia, and I just want to make sure I have the timeline correct before I take the plunge!

carbolfuchsin...

Sorry to hear you didn't get an interview yet for PCOM-GA's DO program. I'm in the PCOM Biomed program in philly. There's quite a number of students that are in the biomed program that either didn't interview or did interview, but weren't accepted. If PCOM-GAs biomed program is anything like philly's program, the biomeds who are applying for the following fall (no-lag year), will be interviewed around the spring time, so around feb-april. I think you are worried about a lag year, there isn't one in the biomed program. Biomed students have a slightly higher priority for PCOM vs. an outside applicant. Just look at the secondary application for PCOM philly. There's a spot to indicate that you are in the biomed program. As for biomed students being interviewed in jan, I believe it. They started interviewing early at PCOM philly this year, but won't be giving out any acceptances until at least the second trimester grades are out. I hope this clears some things up... if not you can PM me or post up here again. Good luck on your move (I moved from CA to philly and it's quite a change...) :)

plausible,

Thank you so much for your quick response, I truly appreciate it! I have to move to Georgia with a husband and baby in tow, so I want to make sure this program will help me. What I heard about biomeds being interviewed in January was for the PCOM-GA school, I'm sure the philly one is waaaaaaay more competitive. Why did you choose the philly school over the georgia school? Any significant differences in acceptances from the biomed program? I'm also curious as to how many people with 3.5s didn't actually get acceptances after an interview. I was under the impression that if you had a 3.5 you were sitting pretty with an offer of acceptance.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my Qs!

hey carbolfuchsin,
i'm also going to move from texas to georgia! in reference to your question, i believe the people that do not get accepted even with a 3.5 gpa are the ones that maybe lacking in some other department such as their mcat, or extracurriculars, etc. that's just my guess. i would also like to know the stats for ga-pcom biomed students that marticulated into medical school this past year. well good luck! :)

plausible,
Why did you choose the philly school over the georgia school? Any significant differences in acceptances from the biomed program? I'm also curious as to how many people with 3.5s didn't actually get acceptances after an interview. I was under the impression that if you had a 3.5 you were sitting pretty with an offer of acceptance.!

My wife got into a grad school in philly, so I moved over here with her. Luckily there's a ton of post-bac programs around philly and I ended up deciding to go with PCOM's biomed program. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question about the 3.5 GPA. It's hard to know what happened for sure. I suggest you email the adcom at PCOM-GA and ask them what you can improve upon for the next application cycle. Typically, schools are responsive to students who want to improve themselves, and this may help in finding out why there wasn't an interview. I hope this helps, and good luck :)

I just looked at the catalog for PCOM, and the courses are different for the two certificate programs. The philly classes look more like medical classes. does anyone know if they use the same books, and if the courses are actually similar and just labeled differently?

does anyone know if there is a GPA minimum requirement in order to apply for the Biomedical Sciences program??

Did anyone get an acceptance yet to the Philadelphia location? I applied back in December and have heard back from other schools but not from here yet :confused:

If you have any questions about admissions, talk to Trena Gologan. She is in charge of received materials, looking over apps, and granting admission. Oh, and she's super sweet. I don't know if there's a minimum GPA requirement, but I don't think they are very picky. Again, call her and speak to her directly because she is the one who grants admission into the pcom ga certificate program. Hope that helps :)

I just looked at the catalog for PCOM, and the courses are different for the two certificate programs. The philly classes look more like medical classes. does anyone know if they use the same books, and if the courses are actually similar and just labeled differently?
I think you are right to say that they are just probably labeled differently. I can't imagine that the classes would be drastically different. If you pull up a link for the GA biomed course descriptions, I can try to take a stab at the differences. :)

Did anyone get an acceptance yet to the Philadelphia location? I applied back in December and have heard back from other schools but not from here yet :confused:
I wouldn't hesitate to call them or email them to check on the status of your application. Let us know how it goes.

does anyone know if they use the same books, and if the courses are actually similar and just labeled differently?

I just looked at the PCOM catalog. I forgot I got one during orientation. I'm looking at the Georgia curriculum right now and here are some differences I have noticed from the course descriptions. You can also goto http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Programs/catalogs/08-09_Catalog.pdf to look at the catalog yourself. The Biomed class descriptions for PA, followed by GA start on page 139.

Human Gross Anatomy
While it is listed in PA that we study radiographs, this isn't true. Everything else in the PA description is true. I think the biggest difference between PA and GA seems to be that PA's lab is based on OMS1 dissected cadavers vs. GA's plasinated specimens. Also, the anatomy taught at PA is very much regional based.

Basic concepts in biomedical modeling
This is a course that PA doesn't have, only in GA.

Human Physiology & Neuroscience
I start these classes on thrusday. From reading the discription, it looks like GA's physiology class is more lecture based. PA has a lab that goes with physiology.

Microscopic anatomy and embryology
We don't have embryology in PA, but I wish we did.

Biochemistry, cellular, and molecular biology
This course in GA sounds very similar to the one in PA

The differences aren't significant as I thought, but there are some slight ones. I really wish PA had a non-thesis track like GA for the masters.

I think if I read correctly, you can for the Biomed sciences, also marticulate in spring or summer semester?

I think if I read correctly, you can for the Biomed sciences, also marticulate in spring or summer semester?

In PA, you must start with the fall semester. I'm not sure about GA, but I think it may be the same. Anyone want to chime in about GA's matriculation policy?

only fall semester is for matriculation into GA PCOM

plausible,

thanks for the info! yeah, I'm actually looking forward to embryology, that sounds fun. I'm really worried about this "biomolecular modeling" class. It sounds waaaay too much like some biochem research class where you have to learn about fun stuff like chromatography :help:

someone, pleeeease correct me if I'm wrong!

I just saw that zero1 had explained the differences between the two schools earlier in this thread. Thanks for the info!

yea thanks everyone for replying to this thread, its been a great source of information on the biomed sciences for PCOM both GA and philly campuses, this thread is sooooo much more informative than their websites :p

Hi All-

I posted this in another thread, but thought it'd be put to good use here too:

I did the biomed program for 1 year and am now a first year DO Student. There are 6 others from my biomed class (a class of approx 55 students) in the DO class of 2012, as well as 2 others who came in after completing the 2nd year of the Biomed program. Several others from my biomed class are first years at other programs, both MD and DO.

Tuition was about $18,000 for the year.

If you were to start the biomed program in August, you'd probably get interviewed in February or so (to matriculate in Aug 2010). Pretty much everyone got interviewed, even the guy who never came to class and didn't have a snowball's chance. They did not accept anyone from our class until after the second term's grades were done in early March (I was accepted Mid-March), but this practice seems to have changed, as several of this years biomeds were accepted before grades came out. I suspect they changed this because there were others in our class who were excellent students, but went elsewhere because they were accepted earlier in the cycle and sent in deposits b/c they did not want to screw around waiting on GA-PCOM. I almost ended up at Nova because of this--I'm glad I didn't.

As far as stats for entrance into the biomed program go:

I had a 2.75 GPA. Most of the damage had been done some time ago. I was out of school, came back for 3 semesters, and had done very well. My MCAT score was really good. There were several other people I knew of with sub 3.0 GPAs, I think their MCATs were mid 20's. I got a 4.0 in the biomed program, and got to know my teachers, who also happen to be on the admissions committee. One of them really went to bat for me to get me into the DO program.

The biomed program is a great foot in the door to med school-I'm not sure I would have gotten in anywhere without it. Had I waited until this cycle to apply (with a full year of good grades at PCOM on my app), I'm sure I would have had a lot more interviews/acceptances than I did get. Last year's second year Biomeds got into some great programs. The program gives you a big leg up for anatomy in the first term. After that, you're in the deep end with everyone else, although I think this years biomed class got a taste of biochem.

If you need to buff your app, the program is a good way to go. Just make sure to DO WELL. A post-bacc can get you into school, but a poor performance would be a big nail in your coffin. I'd also check out Drexel's IMS program-I was waitlisted due to a tardy MCAT score, but from my research, you were pretty much guaranteed an in at Drexel if you performed in that program. The deadline is in April for that one, I believe.

Hope this answers y'alls (yeah, I really said y'all) questions.

Best of luck, and congrats to those that have been/will be accepted. See you in August.

i'm wondering...for the people that don't get accepted after their certificate in the biomedical science program and opt to spend another year and get a master's degree, do they end up getting accepted into DO school after the masters? thanks!. .

Hi All-

I posted this in another thread, but thought it'd be put to good use here too:

I did the biomed program for 1 year and am now a first year DO Student. There are 6 others from my biomed class (a class of approx 55 students) in the DO class of 2012, as well as 2 others who came in after completing the 2nd year of the Biomed program. Several others from my biomed class are first years at other programs, both MD and DO.

Tuition was about $18,000 for the year.

If you were to start the biomed program in August, you'd probably get interviewed in February or so (to matriculate in Aug 2010). Pretty much everyone got interviewed, even the guy who never came to class and didn't have a snowball's chance. They did not accept anyone from our class until after the second term's grades were done in early March (I was accepted Mid-March), but this practice seems to have changed, as several of this years biomeds were accepted before grades came out. I suspect they changed this because there were others in our class who were excellent students, but went elsewhere because they were accepted earlier in the cycle and sent in deposits b/c they did not want to screw around waiting on GA-PCOM. I almost ended up at Nova because of this--I'm glad I didn't.

As far as stats for entrance into the biomed program go:

I had a 2.75 GPA. Most of the damage had been done some time ago. I was out of school, came back for 3 semesters, and had done very well. My MCAT score was really good. There were several other people I knew of with sub 3.0 GPAs, I think their MCATs were mid 20's. I got a 4.0 in the biomed program, and got to know my teachers, who also happen to be on the admissions committee. One of them really went to bat for me to get me into the DO program.

The biomed program is a great foot in the door to med school-I'm not sure I would have gotten in anywhere without it. Had I waited until this cycle to apply (with a full year of good grades at PCOM on my app), I'm sure I would have had a lot more interviews/acceptances than I did get. Last year's second year Biomeds got into some great programs. The program gives you a big leg up for anatomy in the first term. After that, you're in the deep end with everyone else, although I think this years biomed class got a taste of biochem.

If you need to buff your app, the program is a good way to go. Just make sure to DO WELL. A post-bacc can get you into school, but a poor performance would be a big nail in your coffin. I'd also check out Drexel's IMS program-I was waitlisted due to a tardy MCAT score, but from my research, you were pretty much guaranteed an in at Drexel if you performed in that program. The deadline is in April for that one, I believe.

Hope this answers y'alls (yeah, I really said y'all) questions.

Best of luck, and congrats to those that have been/will be accepted. See you in August.

thanks for the information..very helpful to have some insight from the students who went through the program..

2.75 was cumulative. Science was similar. I think my AACOMAS may have been ever so slightly higher.

I might also add that my GPA was so low due to damage done back in 1998-2000. I returned to school in 2005, did three terms of upper division undergrad work, and had a 3.95 for this time period.

I just looked at the PCOM catalog. I forgot I got one during orientation. I'm looking at the Georgia curriculum right now and here are some differences I have noticed from the course descriptions. You can also goto http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Programs/catalogs/08-09_Catalog.pdf to look at the catalog yourself. The Biomed class descriptions for PA, followed by GA start on page 139.

Human Gross Anatomy
While it is listed in PA that we study radiographs, this isn't true. Everything else in the PA description is true. I think the biggest difference between PA and GA seems to be that PA's lab is based on OMS1 dissected cadavers vs. GA's plasinated specimens. Also, the anatomy taught at PA is very much regional based.

Basic concepts in biomedical modeling
This is a course that PA doesn't have, only in GA.

Human Physiology & Neuroscience
I start these classes on thrusday. From reading the discription, it looks like GA's physiology class is more lecture based. PA has a lab that goes with physiology.

Microscopic anatomy and embryology
We don't have embryology in PA, but I wish we did.

Biochemistry, cellular, and molecular biology
This course in GA sounds very similar to the one in PA

The differences aren't significant as I thought, but there are some slight ones. I really wish PA had a non-thesis track like GA for the masters.

Can anyone from the GA Campus let me know if plasinated specimens are in fact used in Anatomy? I was looking forward to working with real cadavers. I'll also be visiting the campus next week so looking forward to learning more about this program.