out-of-staters and MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to MSUCOM and my file has been complete since November, but I have heard nothing from them since. I am wondering if it is because I am out-of-state. Has anyone who is not a Michigan resident gotten an interview from them? When did you hear?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Kat........

Here's an interesting thing that happenned to me yesterday.

I got a phone call on my cell phone yesterday afternoon. It was from a woman on the admissions committee as MSU. She told me that they committee had come to a decision on my application that morning and she wanted to call me and explain why I wasn't offerred an interview!

In summarry, ( it was a 15 minute conversation ), she had told me that they loved my application and that IF I had been a Michigan resident, I would have received an interview a long time ago. She told me that I had two options if I really wanted to attend MSU:

1) I could move to Michigan, and they would hold my application. I would then be offerred an interview next year.

or

2) I could take 4 biology classes and maintain a 3.5 gpa and reapply next year.

She said that since the tuition is expensive and that they only take a limited number of out-of-state students ( 5 students last year), that they REALLY want to make sure that the students will not have problems with the curriculum. She said that since my undergrad gpa was a little low ( 3.07 since I played baseball in college), that's why they wanted to see 4 more bio classes.

She was extremely nice, and I found myself thanking her for calling to reject me! :rolleyes:

She told me that there were a few people really fighting to get me an interview, but that's what had happenned.

Oh well, I guess the 17 degree weather and 6 inches of snow on the ground can live without me!!! :D

Good Luck to you Kat. I just wanted to share that interesting situation.

SM-UCLA,
Good to know that eventually I might hear from them. I didn't even know that my file was complete until I called them in December. I am not really holding out for them (I am leaning toward Western COMP), but I was just wondering if anyone had heard a thing. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you, I hope it all works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was put on the waitlist at Western/COMP :rolleyes:

The same thing happened to me. I an out of state resident (from PA) and they took about a month and a half after they had all my application materials to get back to me. Someone from admissions called me and scheduled an appointment to go over why I was not being granted an interview. She was SO nice and helpful while going over where I could improve my application in the next year if I wanted to apply again -- that I, too, found myself thanking her even though they rejected me :) Anyway, at the end of the conversation, she asked if I had any additonal questions. I asked (off the record) if I had been a MI resident, would I have been accepted? She said that I would most likely have been granted an interview...kind of a bummer but only about 10% of the MSUCOM is out of state (out of a class of ~100 students). Those are difficult odds to overcome...and my stats just weren't impressive enough to compete. But I think the admissions staff is so cooperative and helpful there (much more so than the other schools I applied to) -- I wouldn't hesitate to call them and ask about your application. Good luck!

I am from out of state (PA) and last interview season I received an interview from MSUCOM. I was notified of the interview by e-mail and by telephone. My file was complete quite early, but I was offered an interview in December which I turned down because I already had another acceptance that I preferred (Albany Med). I guess my point is, just because you are out of state doesn't mean that you won't get an interview. However, I do believe that out of staters must be more competetive applicants than the in staters to be granted an interview. Good Luck!

Foxy

This is what I got a few days ago from MSUCOM. It made me feel better. So, does anyone know any stats about how many people who are interviewed are accepted? My Stats are a 31P, 3.46 (with a strong upward trend), some research and volunteering, also they don't know this, but my girlfriend (maybe soon to be fiance) is from Michigan, but that doesn't help me out now does it? Anybody know anything about residency requirements there?
------------------

Dear Applicant,

The College of Osteopathic Medicine Admissions Committee would like to invite you to interview. However, because we are in the process of obtaining interviewers schedules I am asking that you please wait to contact me regarding scheduling your interviews.

Thank you

How did they let you know about your interview? Phone? Email? Letter? And when was your file complete? Did you wait long? Just thinking timeline here, I have heard nothing and I am wondering what to expect. My dad is from MI and I have a ton of family there, which probably doesn't help me with admissions, but I would at least like the chance.

I got this email about 6 days ago. My file was complete about Early November. I think I may have had a late LOR come in. Hope you get the chance. 37k/year is a lot though :(

I'm also an out-of-stater and got the same email last week. I thought my file was complete in August; however, the day before Thanksgiving I found out that they were missing my pre-med comm letter. After a mad scramble, I think my application was finally complete the first week of December. I'm not yet sure if I'll interview there, as I have other acceptances. Good luck everyone!!

Just got an interview invite from MSUCOM today. File was complete in late October and I really wasn't expecting anything but I had sent in two update letters and it did the trick to get an interview. I am from California and was planning to go to MSU for an interview with MSU CHM (MD Program) so I am trying to schedule my interviews close enough so that I only have to fly from San Diego to Michigan one time!