This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I have Edward Via -Virginia or Ohio U Hcom as my number one choice?

• Total voters

tourocom2008

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have lots of interest in attending both schools. They both seemed very similar and I am having a hard time choosing between the two.
-Tuition is not much of a factor because ohio U increases their tuition for years 3 and 4 making it only negligibly cheaper overall.
-I like the location of Virginia better: climate wise, and I like the south better (would like to live in a southern state in the future: likely Kentucky/Tenessee/Georgia
-They seem to have similar residency placement: I will likely go into primary care, but am considering some other residencies including PMR
-Ohio U seems to have better clinical locations: affiliation with Cleveland clinic and other major hospitals, but I could be wrong because I am not as familiar with the clinical locations in Virginia.
- Both focus on rural medicine, which I am interested in
-Edward Via seems to have better (at least newer) facilities
- Edward Via may have a slight edge in research (Vtech is a bigger research school than OU), but I may be wrong about this. Either way both schools had opportunities I liked
-The curriculum at edward via is unique in it's blocks, unlike OU which has more of a normal med curriculum. I think I like the edward via one but not really sure, can someone comment on this?
- I am still on the waitlist at edward via while I have been accepted into OU
- I liked the interviewers much better at OU, (I also felt like I interviewed better however), I had not-so-good experience with one interviewer at Edward Via, but the others seemed okay

Overall, I am torn, especially if I come off the waitlist at edward via. Please let me know what you all think. Would love response from current students at either school or people who interviewed at one or both. Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Which OU campus are you accepted to? So the year 3 and 4 tuition hike is for IS as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Which OU campus are you accepted to? So the year 3 and 4 tuition hike is for IS as well?

Athens campus, yeah the tuition for 1st and 2nd year is around 36-37k and 3rd and 4th they bump it up to like 48-49ki

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't OU make you sign a contract or something stipulating that you have to practice in Ohio for five years or so? If that is the case, I would choose VCOM since you have an affinity for the South.

Doesn't OU make you sign a contract or something stipulating that you have to practice in Ohio for five years or so? If that is the case, I would choose VCOM since you have an affinity for the South.

Not for IS.

OP you will get a much better clinical education at OU-HCOM. Also doesn't VCOM have mandatory attendance?

I would choose OU-HCOM 10/10

Reactions: 1 user
Not even a question. Ohio is for lover

Not for IS.

OP you will get a much better clinical education at OU-HCOM. Also doesn't VCOM have mandatory attendance?

I would choose OU-HCOM 10/10

For OOS students, they have to sign a contract to practice in Ohio for 5 years...?

For OOS students, they have to sign a contract to practice in Ohio for 5 years...?

Post residency yeah, they are a state funded school after all. Instead of charging massive OOS tuition like MSU they require a time commitment. I think you can get out of it but it is a lot of money (may not be true, just something I was told that I haven't verified). For really stellar OOS they will waive it. It's also important to remember they take an absurdly low amount of OOS students, like literally under 5%. I think there were only 5 OOS matriculants there last year, out of a class of around 200ish I believe.

You sign the contract as part of the secondary application and they waive it if you don't matriculate, then free you matriculate they will consider you for the "OOS scholarship" which is just waiving the contract. I personally actually applied there as OOS, living in Ohio wouldn't have bothered me.

Plus you can live in Cleveland which is close to Pittsburgh