Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard from someone that during first year you have an exam every monday? can any students confirm this rumor?

Reactions: 1 user
Heard from someone that during first year you have an exam every monday? can any students confirm this rumor?
First semester this is almost true. We had like 4 out of 18 weeks without a test. Second semester lightens up a lot, more like one every other week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for renting a small house? Would a townhouse be a better option? I've perused some websites but haven't really found too much

The Brookside and Cherry Street area is a little expensive, but fun if you can afford it. I moved from there to near the fair grounds, you get a lot more space for the money (my 1 bed duplex on Cherry was as expensive as my 3 bed in a slightly less hip part of town).
For mid-town you can avoid the sketchy areas if you stay south of 11th-15th Street (around TU is decent though) and west of Sheridan
In south Tulsa, the only bad area I can think of is between highway 44-71st Street and Lewis-Peoria

Let me know if you have questions about a specific area, I've lived in a lot of different areas of town.

Edit: If you have school aged kids avoid Tulsa district. Jenks is by far the best public school system in the area.

I am unsure. I have emailed financial aid. Will update here.

Having any luck? I emailed them and have not heard back. I used my AACOMAS ID number as the CWID on the scholarship app, but that was probably incorrect. You need a student ID for the background check too, so Idk what to do. Every time I call no one answers, too. Feeling a little unsure.

Having any luck? I emailed them and have not heard back. I used my AACOMAS ID number as the CWID on the scholarship app, but that was probably incorrect. You need a student ID for the background check too, so Idk what to do. Every time I call no one answers, too. Feeling a little unsure.
It's the holiday season, they will probably hook us up at the start of the new year. However, if you read the instructions, you leave student ID blank for the background check.

After obtaining an acceptance here. Is everyone still updating AACOMAS? Or just directly send that information (grade stuff) to the school?

After obtaining an acceptance here. Is everyone still updating AACOMAS? Or just directly send that information (grade stuff) to the school?
If you've been accepted you don't need to update anything except for the stuff outlined in the portal.

It's the holiday season, they will probably hook us up at the start of the new year. However, if you read the instructions, you leave student ID blank for the background check.

lol didn't read the instructions, just saw the ID blank and exited. Ha. I didn't email them about that though, I emailed about the scholarship CWID portion. Thanks!

1) CWID- they addressed this issue later on. Remember OSU is more relaxed with the admissions process and it takes time. Around the springtime you'll definitely have instructions on how to complete everything. Sit back, relax, and go with the flow.

2) same with grades after acceptance.. Towards the end of May first of June, they will go through everything for the class and send out emails with due dates for transcripts, health forms, and background checks.

3) Relax and enjoy your acceptance. They will give you all the information you need with plenty of time to get it done.

Reactions: 2 users
I already submitted the background check.

1) CWID- they addressed this issue later on. Remember OSU is more relaxed with the admissions process and it takes time. Around the springtime you'll definitely have instructions on how to complete everything. Sit back, relax, and go with the flow.

2) same with grades after acceptance.. Towards the end of May first of June, they will go through everything for the class and send out emails with due dates for transcripts, health forms, and background checks.

3) Relax and enjoy your acceptance. They will give you all the information you need with plenty of time to get it done.
Thanks for the update! It's just been a long process and you feel like you need to "go go go". I guess relaxing is something that isn't easy! :bow:

I just want to shout at everywhere that I'm going to medical school...

Can anyone familiar with the Tulsa area tell me if there are any indoor basketball courts ppl can use?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone familiar with the Tulsa area tell me if there are any indoor basketball courts ppl can use?
Yes, there are plenty. They have them at the YMCA and at several gyms.

TCC has basketball courts and they have a campus a few minutes away from OSU

The Brookside and Cherry Street area is a little expensive, but fun if you can afford it. I moved from there to near the fair grounds, you get a lot more space for the money (my 1 bed duplex on Cherry was as expensive as my 3 bed in a slightly less hip part of town).
For mid-town you can avoid the sketchy areas if you stay south of 11th-15th Street (around TU is decent though) and west of Sheridan
In south Tulsa, the only bad area I can think of is between highway 44-71st Street and Lewis-Peoria

Let me know if you have questions about a specific area, I've lived in a lot of different areas of town.

Edit: If you have school aged kids avoid Tulsa district. Jenks is by far the best public school system in the area.

If you are looking for the best/cheapest area I know there are places for rent in the Glenpool area. Although it is about a 12-15 min drive to the school I have never had a problem getting to the school, except for one wreck on 75 that also caused anybody in NC/TH to be late also.

Greetings ladies and gents. Looks like I'm throwing my hat in the arena with the rest of you. Non-traditional student. Went to grad school and have been working as a dietitian for the last 3 years. Looking forward to being in school with you all if I am deemed worthy.

Greetings ladies and gents. Looks like I'm throwing my hat in the arena with the rest of you. Non-traditional student. Went to grad school and have been working as a dietitian for the last 3 years. Looking forward to being in school with you all if I am deemed worthy.
You live in Tulsa?

Originally from a town out in eastern Oklahoma (Checotah). Lived in Broken Arrow for a spell. Been in Stillwater for the past 10 years.

Hey Everyone!

I am debating on taking Animal Histology in the Spring (@ OU). In addition to this.. I am enrolled in Medical Vocabulary, Independent Study and Immunology (all are for fun). The only course I am unsure of is the Histology. Does anyone recommend taking this prior to medical school?

Hey Everyone!

I am debating on taking Animal Histology in the Spring (@ OU). In addition to this.. I am enrolled in Medical Vocabulary, Independent Study and Immunology (all are for fun). The only course I am unsure of is the Histology. Does anyone recommend taking this prior to medical school?
Sure why not? Histology wasn't very difficult in first semester but it can't hurt.

Hey Everyone!

if you really wanna get ahead take anatomy.

if you really wanna get ahead take anatomy.
I wish I could.. unfortunately as a Biology pre-med it's considered nonessential, so it's reserved for all the nursing, Health & Exercise, and whatever other degree not premedical. (I'm a bit bitter because I tried taking Human Phys last semester, the sister class to anatomy and was met with a lot of :sour:)

Last edited:
I wish I could.. unfortunately as a Biology pre-med it's considered nonessential, so it's reserved for all the nursing, Health & Exercise, and whatever other degree not premedical. (I'm a bit bitter because I tried taking Human Phys last semester, the sister class to anatomy and was met with a lot of :sour:)

thats garbage haha. Having an intense anatomy in undergrad made life so much easier, however anatomy is also my favorite subject so it could just be me.

thats garbage haha. Having an intense anatomy in undergrad made life so much easier, however anatomy is also my favorite subject so it could just be me.

My university offers a 5000 level anatomy course that undergraduate students that are going to medical school can enroll in. I figured that was a good idea considering it has been awhile since I took anatomy. What are some other good classes to take?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My university offers a 5000 level anatomy course that undergraduate students that are going to medical school can enroll in. I figured that was a good idea considering it has been awhile since I took anatomy. What are some other good classes to take?

I would honestly just take anatomy and focus heavily on it, a lot of people will jump and say just to relax and all that but if you want to do well in anatomy (like high 90's well not just "an A") I think exposure is the easiest way, though it can be done without exposure it will just take a lot of work. Nothing else first semester was too crazy if you are willing to put in the time, my worst subject was molecular bio however I also was not a science major and had never taken anything like this (the only classes I had before were biochem and anatomy, however I noticed molecular bio was the only one that for me just always seemed a little over my head). So for me taking molecular bio before med school would have helped, but everybody is different. However, taking intense anatomy before medical school will not be a waste of your time.

Anyone else paid the deposit and completed background check?

I would honestly just take anatomy and focus heavily on it, a lot of people will jump and say just to relax and all that but if you want to do well in anatomy (like high 90's well not just "an A") I think exposure is the easiest way, though it can be done without exposure it will just take a lot of work. Nothing else first semester was too crazy if you are willing to put in the time, my worst subject was molecular bio however I also was not a science major and had never taken anything like this (the only classes I had before were biochem and anatomy, however I noticed molecular bio was the only one that for me just always seemed a little over my head). So for me taking molecular bio before med school would have helped, but everybody is different. However, taking intense anatomy before medical school will not be a waste of your time.

Ok that helps! I just took Molecular biology this semester, so I will at least have exposure.

Thank a lot!

I have! I have also already done my physical exam... I know I may have been a bit too excited at first.

Best to get those things early in my opinion. All I have left is the physical exam. I wish I had the information to apply for scholarships, but I believe it is too early.

Anyone else paid the deposit and completed background check?
What deposit? Like the 100 dollars to hold your seat? If so, I did that back in October, but I haven't done the other accompanying requirements yet. I will tackle those after I survive this last semester of Spanish :whoa:

What deposit? Like the 100 dollars to hold your seat? If so, I did that back in October, but I haven't done the other accompanying requirements yet. I will tackle those after I survive this last semester of Spanish :whoa:
Yeah just the hundo to hold your seat.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!

I have just withdrawn my acceptance, due to location. Hopefully a lucky soul on the waitlist will get a late Christmas present.
Good luck to all of you!

Hey everyone!

I was accepted for the class of 2021! Super excited to start!

For those who live in/know about Nickel Creek apartments, are there any bills included in the rent? I'm new to renting so any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Everyone!

YES YES YES YES YES!!! Absolutely take histo if it's not too late to get in. Dr. Mroczka is an amazing instructor and her histo class was more detailed than any intro histo stuff we did first semester. I did not study for the histology portion of our foundations course thanks to the class I did at OU. Additionally she writes amazing rec letters and will be a great advocate for you in general. She gives great advice and I highly reccomend that course.

It was a lot of hard work, and I think t was the most like a medical school course that I took while at OU. I would compare the study style for that class very similar to how I studied for our anatomy course the first semester at OSU. She breaks it up so there is lecture and practical material just like anatomy which is half half. Let me know if you have any questions and sorry for the delayed response!

Awful quiet around here...

Awful quiet around here...
That's so true! How was everyone's break? I've watched season 6 of Game of Thrones, read some books and ate Buffalo Wild Wings 6 times.:bow:

Do you think its too late to turn in my app?

3.5 gpa 3.3 sgpa 3.86gpa
496 mcat
TX resident

Ok then I guess you can throw an app out and see what happens. Goodluck

I'm so glad it's 2017 finally! Hoping to get off that waitlist in the coming months...I've been throwing out updates as often as I can.

Does anyone know if the c/o 2021 Facebook page is up ?