Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had any more communication since the winter break email? For some reason I'm always paranoid that I accidentally withdrew somehow....

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had any more communication since the winter break email? For some reason I'm always paranoid that I accidentally withdrew somehow....

Last year we didn't hear anything for forever. Organization is not exactly promptly communicated or executed at our school lol. Which, fits our schools personality cause everything is super laid back here. You'll here stuff around april or may I am sure :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the c/o 2021 Facebook page is up ?

Doubt it! I think it was mid spring for us last year maybe haha. See my above comment hah

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with you. I submitted the scholarship app, the background check, and sent my transcripts. I emailed Lindsey and asked if my acceptance was officially "accepted" and she said yes...

I am with you. I submitted the scholarship app, the background check, and sent my transcripts. I emailed Lindsey and asked if my acceptance was officially "accepted" and she said yes...

How did you submit the scholarship application without the CWID#?

Still waiting for an II here if possible!!! One of the only schools I'm still holding out for

Still waiting for an II here if possible!!! One of the only schools I'm still holding out for

Give them a call/email and express interest!! what do you have to lose? Might as well put yourself out there! :)

Give them a call/email and express interest!! what do you have to lose? Might as well put yourself out there! :)

I have!!!! Multiple times. I need to do it again though, it's been a little while and I think there will be more movement now.

I have!!!! Multiple times. I need to do it again though, it's been a little while and I think there will be more movement now.

Stats?? are you OOS?

Hey @DNC127, what time of the year did you receive financial aid information and how long did it take to have that finished up? In other words, at what point before matriculation were you able to say "Now I wait"?

Last year we didn't hear anything for forever. Organization is not exactly promptly communicated or executed at our school lol. Which, fits our schools personality cause everything is super laid back here. You'll here stuff around april or may I am sure :laugh:

Its probably going to be worse this year with the personnel changes going on in student affairs also.

Hey @DNC127, what time of the year did you receive financial aid information and how long did it take to have that finished up? In other words, at what point before matriculation were you able to say "Now I wait"?

LOL. Like april/may or something is when they started giving us emails about stuff like that I believe, I am not familiar with taking loans out so I may not be a good person to ask tho about aid though I am sorry!

Our school has MANY strengths, however notice, organization, and such are not a part of those strengths. Expect to be waiting a while for information.

However... despite these challenges with our school there are still only like 2 or 3 other DO schools that are on the same level as ours, so I think its worth the trade ha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Around June.. Takes ten minutes to fill out and that's it. Funds are dispersed in the first two weeks of school (generally)

Like DNC said, everything is chill. Now is the time to relax and wait. You'll get an email every so often with forms that take 5 mins to fill out. Worry more about your living and financial situation for the first month and during the first summer (unless you have parents/family taking care of that). Have a financial reserve ready (also, get rid of as much debt as possible) incase loan disbursement is delayed (was last semester).

Hey guys, Ive been following this form a while now so I thought I should pull the trigger and get into the conversation. I'm an in-state applicant with a 3.5gpa (4.0 junior and senior year), 4 year varsity athlete, mcat 504. this is my #1 school and I applied 1.5 months ago. what do y'all think my chances are of getting an interview??

Hi, I've also decided to join the conversation.
I am an instate applicant with both a cGPA and sGPA of 4.0. MCAT 495. OSU-COM is my top choice. I submitted secondaries and received the complete confirmation email in November. Still haven't heard anything for interview. Have several several hours of shadowing, volunteering, research, etc hours. When can I expect an interview call?

Last edited:
Hey guys, Ive been following this form a while now so I thought I should pull the trigger and get into the conversation. I'm an in-state applicant with a 3.5gpa (4.0 junior and senior year), 4 year varsity athlete, mcat 504. this is my #1 school and I applied 1.5 months ago. what do y'all think my chances are of getting an interview??

I think you chances are good! However, because you applied so late it will be crucial for you to inform OSU of how serious you are. For example, I applied last December, told them how serious I was in January, and then received an interview invite like 2 days later and I am sure that it only happened because I expressed extreme interest! Your stats are good, and in state will help! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi, I've also decided to join the conversation.
I am an instate applicant with both a cGPA and sGPA of 4.0. MCAT 495. OSU-COM is my top choice. I submitted secondaries and received the complete confirmation email in November. Still haven't heard anything for interview. Have several several hours of shadowing, volunteering, research, etc hours. When can I expect an interview call?

Honestly I would say chances are not great. You GPAs will help you, but your MCAT may be your achilles heal. I know of instate students in my class with low MCATs, however theres no telling how they will interpret your app. If you are STACKED in the EC's area of you app, AND express interest in rural medicine I would say you had a ok shot. I would mimic my advise to you to express extreme interest.

I think you chances are good! However, because you applied so late it will be crucial for you to inform OSU of how serious you are. For example, I applied last December, told them how serious I was in January, and then received an interview invite like 2 days later and I am sure that it only happened because I expressed extreme interest! Your stats are good, and in state will help! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you! okay so stupid question but what you say entails "express extreme interest"? calling the admissions office? emailing?

Sent an email expressing interest today.. Hoping for some love soon!

Thank you! okay so stupid question but what you say entails "express extreme interest"? calling the admissions office? emailing?

Just email and explain that you know it is getting late in the season, however OSU is your number 1 school and the school you are holding out for and if accepted you would surely attend or something along those lines. Thats what I did.

Did anyone here that is a current student receive a scholarship?

Just email and explain that you know it is getting late in the season, however OSU is your number 1 school and the school you are holding out for and if accepted you would surely attend or something along those lines. Thats what I did.

can i ask what your stats were?

Hypothetically speaking, would OSU screen out applicants, whose stats are too "high" for their school?

OOS (from Cali)

Gpa: 3.86 overall, 3.91 sGPA
Mcat: 502

Thoughts?!!

I think you have a chance, however you MCAT is lower than than most OOS students I know. I think you have a shot still so keep updating!

Hypothetically speaking, would OSU screen out applicants, whose stats are too "high" for their school?

no. I know of 2 people we have interviewed this year with MCATS ABOVE 519.

Bonemarrowist, it was couple grand. Yes, mine was a rural medicine category. It really comes down to what you write on the application. For example, i focused on the desire to improve my hometowns healthcare and the broader state budget crisis last year.

When is too early to fill out the gradPLUS application?

When is too early to fill out the gradPLUS application?

I'm pretty sure that we can fill out the FAFSA as soon as we want. The school code is given in the packet they gave out at the interview day. Probably a good idea to do it soon so if we have adverse credit that we don't know about we have time to fix it before it gets down to crunch time.

Fafsa and gradPLUS are two different apps. I am thinking of filling it out now. Fafsa is complete already.

anyone heard when they start calling about interviews again?
I had everything submitted in late November. Got the call for an interview yesterday. Guess the engine has been started back up for the new year. Best of luck to everyone.

Congrats! Anyone heard anything about anything after acceptance?

I had everything submitted in late November. Got the call for an interview yesterday. Guess the engine has been started back up for the new year. Best of luck to everyone.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Do you mind sharing your stats?
I keep those under my hat. Never been one to discuss grades and such. Made myself that promise back in grade school. I will add that I'm non-traditional and worked as a dietitian in rural hospitals and for Indian Health Service for slightly more than 3 years. Also knocked out a master's degree in there. I grew up in a rural medicine clinic in Oklahoma. Many immediate family members in medicine. That probably sets me apart a bit. Happy to answer anything else.

Last edited:
Can anyone speak to the facilities that OSU has? Like the anatomy lab, lecture halls, break rooms/study areas, and libraries?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Can anyone speak to the facilities that OSU has? Like the anatomy lab, lecture halls, break rooms/study areas, and libraries?

Pretty nice, not as flashy as some of the other schools I visited but still nice and well kept. I have always had the opinion that having flashy, high tech facilities is mostly a marketing technique that doesn't really impact your education. I really liked the campus vibe, not to mention they will finish a brand new building in a few months (already finished?) and it is supposed to absolutely sweet. It will have simulation ambulance bays and ER I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty nice, not as flashy as some of the other schools I visited but still nice and well kept. I have always had the opinion that having flashy, high tech facilities is mostly a marketing technique that doesn't really impact your education. I really liked the campus vibe, not to mention they will finish a brand new building in a few months (already finished?) and it is supposed to absolutely sweet. It will have simulation ambulance bays and ER I believe.
Awesome thanks for the input! That's awesome that all new simulations are being built

The most important facilities/ features OSU has is 1. dedicated teaching hospital. 2. OMECO (residency system) will keep osteopathic recognition, and we were told that they will give preference to DO's no matter what even if MD's apply to our residencies (which is a no brainer because our hospital is the largest osteopathic teaching hospital in the nation). OSU also has research opportunities (I will have 9 completed projects from this year by may). The new facility is beautiful and will be unrivaled as far as DO school go.

There will be enough study spaces for each student to have their own we are told once the new building is done. This will be awesome as well.

New building will be done in the summer so it will be ready for next year I have been told.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone from the area and having known many students who went through the college/teaching hospital, it's really great.

I am so excited! Got the email about the admitted student day. I look forward to meeting everyone :zip: