Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey incoming MS1 here. If you have any questions about the application process for OSU go ahead and ask. I had some students do the same for me last year and it was really helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! It's my first post on SDN, finally decided to join. Reapplying to the Oklahoma schools this year, excited to see this thread. DNC, you know any MS1's with you who were reapplicants / have any tips for OSU in particular? OSU is my #1 choice and I'm working on articulating interest in osteopathic medicine, rural med, and "passion for medicine."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! It's my first post on SDN, finally decided to join. Reapplying to the Oklahoma schools this year, excited to see this thread. DNC, you know any MS1's with you who were reapplicants / have any tips for OSU in particular? OSU is my #1 choice and I'm working on articulating interest in osteopathic medicine, rural med, and "passion for medicine."

Those are great points to cover, and are ones that I did as well! I am an OOS student who was accepted to OSU and being from a rural area/having an interest in rural med really helped me I think! Make sure you explain WHY you are passionate about those things and on just simply that you are interested.

@Apollo13 is a re-applicant I believe they may be kind enough to have some tips for ya. DM me for anything specific.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to the 2014-2015 cycle after being passed up in the 2012-2013 and the 2013-2014 cycle. Here's how things went for me:

2012-2013 cycle:
27 MCAT, 3.3-ish undergrad GPA, 8 hours physician shadowing
-given a late interview, felt interview went well, but received a rejection letter without being waitlisted.

2013-2014 cycle
Did not retake MCAT
Enrolled in the graduate in biomedical sciences program at OSU-CHS
Graduate GPA 3.8
Worked as a certified nurse aid in a rural nursing home (requires 2 weeks course to get certificate)
-given a late interview, was incredibly nervous during interview and completely bombed it. I was not myself and was trying to give answers I thought they wanted to hear. I was waitlisted but not accepted. I met with the Lindsey Kirkpatrick in admissions to discuss my weakest area I needed to improve, and she told me straight up my interview was the only issue with my application.

2014-2015 cycle
Did not retake MCAT
Finished Master's degree program with 3.8 GPA
Had nurse aid experience (quit working this job in July of 2014)
My wife was accepted to OSU-COM the previous year, so OU was out of the picture for me. I still applied to OU and OU's School of Community Medicine so I could get interview practice. I also gave several oral presentations during my graduate program to make me more comfortable speaking under pressure.
As part of grad program, several students and I "invented' a class called 'Scientific Outreach'. The course goal was to teach graduate students how to develop outreach courses for underserved schools (develop program goals/projects, seek funding, working with admin, etc.). The biggest part of the course was the actual outreach project. We started an after school science club for kids at Eugene Field elementary (OSU-COM's adopted elementary school). I gave an presentation of the course and our project at OSU-CHS's Research Day and had the course director write me a supplemental letter of recommendation.
I shadowed an OSU Pediatrician for a total of 6 half-days over a 3-week period. His name is Dr. Jeremy Jones. He was an outstanding doc to shadow because he actually has 4th year medical students with him and you get to see what to expect as a student. The experience gave me great insights that helped me improve my personal statement and provided good talking points for my interview.
I was given a February interview and my interview was me just being myself and I think I was asked 2 questions by each interviewer, so 4 questions total. One was "why do you want to be an Osteopathic physician; one was "why do you want to attend OSU specifically; one was "teach me something", and one was "is there anything else you want to tell us".

I think the 2 biggest factors that got me accepted were my work with Eugene Field and submitting a strong letter of recommendation from an OSU physician.

You don't have to be a grad student developing an outreach course to work with Eugene Field. They have several programs anyone can volunteer for, Reading Partners is the first one that comes to mind. They also have a big brother/big sister mentor/mentee-like program you can volunteer for as well. Just contact the school or the Tulsa YMCA (they direct a lot of the volunteer activities). The experience is rewarding, but it will also give you volunteer time with OSU-COM's adopted school. You will also get a great letter of recommendation from the volunteer coordinator. You can also shadow any OSU physician. I would plan on trying to spend 20-30 hours spread out over a couple weeks with the same physician. Let them get to know you well enough to feel comfortable writing you a strong letter and make sure you specifically request a STRONG letter when you ask. I asked in my 'thank you note' I gave at the end of my shadowing and included a stamped envelope addressed to admissions.

This is already an epic long post, so any other questions please feel free to message me. Hopefully this advice is helpful!

Reactions: 4 users
I was looking at secondaries that were posted last year, and I was just wondering what you all put on questions like "anything other info you'd like us to know?" I was thinking maybe about financial and family issues I've experienced. Thoughts?
Also, the question "if not in school, what are your current activities?" I just graduated and will be taking a year off, so can I put what I plan to do? Like shadow and volunteer more, etc?

Hey incoming MS1 here. If you have any questions about the application process for OSU go ahead and ask. I had some students do the same for me last year and it was really helpful.
Is the committee letter OR 3 science LORS a hard/strict rule? I have 2 science LORS and a DO letter. That third science prof letter would be the only thing stopping me from applying to what looks like an incredible program.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I was a non-trad applicant. I didn't have any letters from a college committee or faculty. I did however provide 4 LORs from physicians (MD and DO) plus one non-science/health related professional recommendation from outside research and advocacy. My advice would be to view the requirements as partially flexible, but you will need to provide more than they are asking and have a decent reason for the deviation of the norm (I'd been out of school for 2 years and didn't have contacts there, but had clinical experience and daily physician/patient contact). The adcom committee takes a lot of factors into consideration, just put the work in, provide more than they are asking, and hope for the best

Is the committee letter OR 3 science LORS a hard/strict rule? I have 2 science LORS and a DO letter. That third science prof letter would be the only thing stopping me from applying to what looks like an incredible program.

I was accepted to the 2014-2015 cycle after being passed up in the 2012-2013 and the 2013-2014 cycle. Here's how things went for me:

2012-2013 cycle:
27 MCAT, 3.3-ish undergrad GPA, 8 hours physician shadowing
-given a late interview, felt interview went well, but received a rejection letter without being waitlisted.

2013-2014 cycle
Did not retake MCAT
Enrolled in the graduate in biomedical sciences program at OSU-CHS
Graduate GPA 3.8
Worked as a certified nurse aid in a rural nursing home (requires 2 weeks course to get certificate)
-given a late interview, was incredibly nervous during interview and completely bombed it. I was not myself and was trying to give answers I thought they wanted to hear. I was waitlisted but not accepted. I met with the Lindsey Kirkpatrick in admissions to discuss my weakest area I needed to improve, and she told me straight up my interview was the only issue with my application.

2014-2015 cycle
Did not retake MCAT
Finished Master's degree program with 3.8 GPA
Had nurse aid experience (quit working this job in July of 2014)
My wife was accepted to OSU-COM the previous year, so OU was out of the picture for me. I still applied to OU and OU's School of Community Medicine so I could get interview practice. I also gave several oral presentations during my graduate program to make me more comfortable speaking under pressure.
As part of grad program, several students and I "invented' a class called 'Scientific Outreach'. The course goal was to teach graduate students how to develop outreach courses for underserved schools (develop program goals/projects, seek funding, working with admin, etc.). The biggest part of the course was the actual outreach project. We started an after school science club for kids at Eugene Field elementary (OSU-COM's adopted elementary school). I gave an presentation of the course and our project at OSU-CHS's Research Day and had the course director write me a supplemental letter of recommendation.
I shadowed an OSU Pediatrician for a total of 6 half-days over a 3-week period. His name is Dr. Jeremy Jones. He was an outstanding doc to shadow because he actually has 4th year medical students with him and you get to see what to expect as a student. The experience gave me great insights that helped me improve my personal statement and provided good talking points for my interview.
I was given a February interview and my interview was me just being myself and I think I was asked 2 questions by each interviewer, so 4 questions total. One was "why do you want to be an Osteopathic physician; one was "why do you want to attend OSU specifically; one was "teach me something", and one was "is there anything else you want to tell us".

I think the 2 biggest factors that got me accepted were my work with Eugene Field and submitting a strong letter of recommendation from an OSU physician.

You don't have to be a grad student developing an outreach course to work with Eugene Field. They have several programs anyone can volunteer for, Reading Partners is the first one that comes to mind. They also have a big brother/big sister mentor/mentee-like program you can volunteer for as well. Just contact the school or the Tulsa YMCA (they direct a lot of the volunteer activities). The experience is rewarding, but it will also give you volunteer time with OSU-COM's adopted school. You will also get a great letter of recommendation from the volunteer coordinator. You can also shadow any OSU physician. I would plan on trying to spend 20-30 hours spread out over a couple weeks with the same physician. Let them get to know you well enough to feel comfortable writing you a strong letter and make sure you specifically request a STRONG letter when you ask. I asked in my 'thank you note' I gave at the end of my shadowing and included a stamped envelope addressed to admissions.

This is already an epic long post, so any other questions please feel free to message me. Hopefully this advice is helpful!

How did you come in contact with the OSU pediatrician you shadowed? Any advice?

I noticed in the osteopathic/AACOMAS handbook OSU states that they are only accepting MCAT scores from the new exam. I took mine less than two years ago and saw elsewhere that they accept scores up to 3 years old. Does anybody know if they'll consider me with my "Old MCAT" test score or should I not even bother applying?

I noticed in the osteopathic/AACOMAS handbook OSU states that they are only accepting MCAT scores from the new exam. I took mine less than two years ago and saw elsewhere that they accept scores up to 3 years old. Does anybody know if they'll consider me with my "Old MCAT" test score or should I not even bother applying?

Best to call and ask Sarah or Maghin on that question since it's a brand new rule change.

I couldn't tell you this. I would just contact admissions! I had 8 letters so I never really checked letter requirements because I always had them covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at secondaries that were posted last year, and I was just wondering what you all put on questions like "anything other info you'd like us to know?" I was thinking maybe about financial and family issues I've experienced. Thoughts?
Also, the question "if not in school, what are your current activities?" I just graduated and will be taking a year off, so can I put what I plan to do? Like shadow and volunteer more, etc?

I put more about why I am interested in OSU for the "anymore info" and I would just write about your ambitions for the year in the other one and tie it into commitment to ____ (whatever your committed to personally) for the long term and why it will make you a better doc/OSU student

Hey I've submitted my primaries but it still says "Verifying" after paying. My transcripts/LOR have all been completed and verified, anyone know how long this 2nd verification takes?

Hey I've submitted my primaries but it still says "Verifying" after paying. My transcripts/LOR have all been completed and verified, anyone know how long this 2nd verification takes?

Are you referring to AACOMAS? If so, it can take 4 to 6 weeks.

Hey, was wondering if anybody here knows if OSU-COM accepts online classes? I'm sure this has been answered before, but having a difficult time finding it.
Also was wondering what physical exam/clinical skills do the students practice on each other vs standardized patients (i.e. OMM, injections, etc.). I apologize if this question comes off as juvenile, asking purely out of curiosity. I've already decided to apply here, although not until next year. Still have 3 classes to work on as a non-traditional student.
Good luck to everybody applying this year! :luck::luck::luck:

I know you are supposed to take the new MCAT (I'm studying for mine now, same position as you); as far as "considering you with" the old MCAT, I am unsure exactly what you mean. I would assume they may not accept an application w/o a 2015 score, but I am curious if they will consider a pre-2015 score along with a 2015 score. Hope that helps some, and good luck!

Hey, was wondering if anybody here knows if OSU-COM accepts online classes?

What do you mean by "accept online classes?" In terms of grades on your transcript, I don't think anyone cares in what format they were completed.

FCMike11: Are you currently in school? If not, how long have you been out? If you have 1 strong letter from a science professor and a strong letter from a D.O., I would contact your undergraduate school and explain the situation and request a 3rd letter from a science professor. Even if it is 'basic', if you have strong letters from the others, I don't think it should matter. If you can get a strong letter from a non-science professor or volunteer group, I would add it. Call Sarah Quinten to be 100% on the letter question though, I remember the thing they were strict on was requiring a D.O. letter.

Marrowist: I found the OSU Physician through this link: http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/college/physicians/ . I had shadowed a private practice D.O., but wanted a more academic experience. I did some cold calling and left messages with my contact information but got anxious and hand delivered a letter to several physicians offices. My letter included about a paragraph or 2 with my personal/academic biography and a paragraph that I was looking for a shadowing experience to give me perspective of what to expect in academic medicine. I did not shy away from stating that I was interested in getting to know the physician and wanted to shadow them as long as it took for them to feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation. I ended up hearing back from my cold calls, but I got a much quicker response by delivering the letters. When I was done with my shadow experience, I left the physician with a thank you letter and a formal request for my letter of recommendation. I re-stated that I wanted this shadowing experience to stand out as my most meaningful and a strong letter of recommendation would be appreciated. I included an addressed stamped envelope to admissions. I also left a thank you card for the nurses/receptionists with a $20 gift card for them to order bagels and coffee from Panera Bread.

Anony Moose: First year, students practice all OMM techniques on each other and OMM exams are done by doing techniques on each other and graded by a physician. Clinical skills are taught on standardized patients and Clinical skills exams are done on standardized patients and graded by physicians. Second year, the OMM final is done on 3rd year students and graded by a physician. Clinical skills are all learned/tested on standardized patients or at TCC with their lobotomy students/surg tech students for any injections/blood draws/surgery stuff. I was really surprised at the high usage of standardized patients for teaching in our first year. We did real male genital and rectal exams and female pelvic/breast exams on real-life standardized patients. They were kind and did NOT make either of these techniques something we would be expected to re-do under exam settings. Your online classes should be just fine if they are from an accredited university and on your transcript.

Ateleryx: I would suggest checking on the MCAT scores. When I was finally accepted, they had released the new MCAT. I remember hearing they 'required' the new MCAT and my old MCAT was pretty good but at the 5 year age-limit. OSU accepted my old MCAT-I would definitely get that figured out for sure though-Sarah Quinten is a great go-to for all questions.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are looking to find some good volunteer/outreach opportunities to add to your application, this is the office at OSU-CHS to contact to try and get involved with anything they are doing or at least get recommendations of groups you can volunteer with that OSU-COM has partnered with:
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/outreach/specialevents.php

That's kinda cool they work with the TCC students. Sounds like it would be a good experience.
Thank you so much for the info!

I'm an OOS student really interested in applying. I'm 2 hours away in Arkansas, so I'm hoping being in the region helps. I actually started out my undergrad at OSU too playing baseball. I have a 3.5 GPA, 504 (67th percentile ~ 28 old score) MCAT, and 1500+ hours working as an ER tech. I also am shadowing a physician that is an OSU alumni, and he is writing one of my letters of recommendation. Competitive for an OOS or save my money?

I'm an OOS student really interested in applying. I'm 2 hours away in Arkansas, so I'm hoping being in the region helps. I actually started out my undergrad at OSU too playing baseball. I have a 3.5 GPA, 504 (67th percentile ~ 28 old score) MCAT, and 1500+ hours working as an ER tech. I also am shadowing a physician that is an OSU alumni, and he is writing one of my letters of recommendation. Competitive for an OOS or save my money?

Apply! You seem like you could make a good case for why osu is a place you wanna be. I had no ties to oklahoma, so you will have a better chance with your ties if you are smart about how you write and such.

Apply! You seem like you could make a good case for why osu is a place you wanna be. I had no ties to oklahoma, so you will have a better chance with your ties if you are smart about how you write and such.
Good to hear! I submitted my app yesterday and am super excited to get the process going!

502 MCAT (127/125/125/125), not sure what to think about this? I think that is a 26/27 on the old test, roughly. I am waiting on AACOMAS to verify my transcripts but my calculations are a 3.3 GPA. I have incredible experience and a job directly involved in patient care, should I retake MCAT?

Last edited:
5020 MCAT (127/125/125/125), not sure what to think about this? I think that is a 26/27 on the old test, roughly. I am waiting on AACOMAS to verify my transcripts but my calculations are a 3.3 GPA. I have incredible experience and a job directly involved in patient care, should I retake MCAT?
What were your practice scores? Are you absolutely sure you can do better? It helps none of your subscores are < 125. You will probably be able to gain a DO acceptance somewhere with this MCAT. ACOM, BCOM, UIW etc. Newer schools.

What is OSUCOM's average MCAT score in the new system?

What is OSUCOM's average MCAT score in the new system?
I think, if I remember right, old scale was around a 28. That's a 504-505 on the new scale, so I would assume its somewhere in that range. I could be off though!

No way, 28 is WAY to high for the average. The NUMBER 1 student in our class is an OOS guy with 3.8-3.9 undergrad and a 32 old MCAT. I got a 28 on the MCAT and was told by every faculty advisor and admissions officer that my MCAT was my strongest application point. The 'old' score average is 25. I know close to a dozen in-state folks who got 23's on their MCATs and were accepted. I didn't discuss my MCAT with people in my class because my conversations with them led me to believe that our class average of 25 was "high". I feel pretty confident saying that if you have a 500 on the new scale you are competitive, and if you have a 505+ then you are a 'standout' mcat for an in-stater. Just make sure that you aren't all numbers, get some good volunteer and shadow hours under your belts. Sure it helps with the application, but it turns into freaking gold when you are able to talk about those things in your interview!

But like @Apollo13 said, the admission requirements page says to be competitive to have a 500+ on the new MCAT. So a new test may have changed the expectations. I would definitely say he knows more about the process than any of us applicants. Best of luck to all of you either way!

I had a 505+ and a 3.85+ science and commutative gpa. Am OOS, and know the requirements are steeper for OOS but focus on good writing and if you have the stats you will have a shot @YoungDoc25 . I'm not saying you need the stats I have, but because you are oos you will have to be on the high end of their Stat average.

So I have a DO letter, but the spreadsheet mentioned above says OSUCOM will not accept MD... is this true?

So I have a DO letter, but the spreadsheet mentioned above says OSUCOM will not accept MD... is this true?

I had DO and MD. I know that you need a DO, but I am sure they won't care if you have both.

This may be a tough question to answer, but is there any pattern to how quickly they send out secondaries after being verified?

This may be a tough question to answer, but is there any pattern to how quickly they send out secondaries after being verified?

I applied last cycle and will start this fall. I had a weird situation with my secondary. I think most of the people I spoke with got their secondary within a week of having everything submitted... But they don't send them out until fall after they get everything ironed out with the incoming class.

For me - I completed my application on October 20th. I received an email from OSU saying they had everything and I just needed to wait for the secondary. I didn't hear back in a month so I called and they were lacking a transcript from one of my old schools AND I had not clicked the button on the MCAT site to allow the release of my scores to AACOMAS. I ended up receiving my secondary in January, but it was entirely my own fault. Make sure you double check that your old transcripts are sent and you've allowed your scores to be released.

Make sure you follow up with the school if you have any questions! Maghin and Sarah are very helpful and are there to answer your questions!

I'm with DNC, I'm glad you applied because I was OOS for this past cycle and had no ties to Oklahoma either but I got an interview and got accepted pretty early. I treated it as my "not a chance" school since the percentage was low, but was super interested and loved it when I went for the interview. I think with the combination of your stats that you would be a prime competitor for one of those OOS spots!

Reactions: 2 users
I applied last cycle and will start this fall. I had a weird situation with my secondary. I think most of the people I spoke with got their secondary within a week of having everything submitted... But they don't send them out until fall after they get everything ironed out with the incoming class.

For me - I completed my application on October 20th. I received an email from OSU saying they had everything and I just needed to wait for the secondary. I didn't hear back in a month so I called and they were lacking a transcript from one of my old schools AND I had not clicked the button on the MCAT site to allow the release of my scores to AACOMAS. I ended up receiving my secondary in January, but it was entirely my own fault. Make sure you double check that your old transcripts are sent and you've allowed your scores to be released.

Make sure you follow up with the school if you have any questions! Maghin and Sarah are very helpful and are there to answer your questions!
Thank you for the info! I just happened to catch that I had to release my MCAT scores as I was submitting, otherwise I would have been in the same boat! I should have all of my transcripts in by next week, as I mailed them out earlier this week. So hopefully I'll be verified shortly after and get a secondary!

I'm with DNC, I'm glad you applied because I was OOS for this past cycle and had no ties to Oklahoma either but I got an interview and got accepted pretty early. I treated it as my "not a chance" school since the percentage was low, but was super interested and loved it when I went for the interview. I think with the combination of your stats that you would be a prime competitor for one of those OOS spots!
This is exciting to hear coming from OOS people who got accepted! I really hope it works out! Thank you very much!

If any OOS students are coming in to check out the campus/interview and would like a local contact feel free to message me.

I'm an OOS, Colorado resident, but was recommended to apply here by my advisor.
3.3cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 506 MCAT, 2000+ clinical hours (scribe, CNA), decent volunteering (mostly tutoring), shadowed DO/MD, will have a DO letter. Just got their secondary back today. I'd love to go here, any thoughts on my chances?

Could someone please post the secondary prompt?

Could someone please post the secondary prompt?

*1. Please describe any additional accomplishments (e.g, clinical or research experience, additional coursework, updated MCAT score, community service, leadership experience) since your last application to OSU-COM: (5000 characters max)
*This question applies if you have previously applied to OSU-COM

2. If not currently in school, describe present activity: (500 words max)

3. Why do you wish to attend OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine? (500 words max)

4. Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you? (500 words max)

These were the questions for the 2015-2016 cycle so I don't know if the secondary has changed or not.

3.3cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 506 MCAT, 2000+ clinical hours (scribe, CNA), decent volunteering (mostly tutoring), shadowed DO/MD, will have a DO letter. Just got their secondary back today. I'd love to go here, any thoughts on my chances?
If I have a decent chance with my stats (3.5 and 504 with similar experiences), I'd expect the same goes for you! Glad I have another OOS person to relate to through the process. Best of luck to you!

If you don't mind, can you post the secondary prompt?

If I have a decent chance with my stats (3.5 and 504 with similar experiences), I'd expect the same goes for you! Glad I have another OOS person to relate to through the process. Best of luck to you!

If you don't mind, can you post the secondary prompt?

I posted the questions above.

I took the mcat once, got a 26 and went with it. Probably could've scored a lot higher if I retook considering I studied for a month, but I was accepted. If you are around that you should be fine if your gpa is above or around a 3.5. I had a 3.7 and lots of ECs. Also they're looking for someone who isn't awkward in the interview, I feel like that was another strong point for me and helped pull my acceptance. If mcat is your weakest area just try to counter balance it the first go around. If that doesn't work retake and reapply.

Looking at OSU's residency program, I was extremely impressed by all of the opportunities. This is a really unrelated question regarding applications and isn't a deciding factor to me, but are any students on here aware of any combined residency programs that OSU allows? Like an IM/EM residency or something like that. I don't have a certain specialty picked out that I must do, but I found talks of these combined programs really interesting and Tulsa seems like a big enough area where it may be possible. Thanks for any info!

Looking at OSU's residency program, I was extremely impressed by all of the opportunities. This is a really unrelated question regarding applications and isn't a deciding factor to me, but are any students on here aware of any combined residency programs that OSU allows? Like an IM/EM residency or something like that. I don't have a certain specialty picked out that I must do, but I found talks of these combined programs really interesting and Tulsa seems like a big enough area where it may be possible. Thanks for any info!

I might have more information next week after a meeting for rural medicine. I'm interested in doing IM/EM as well. After a brief conversation earlier this week, it sounds like it is possible if you have that specialty available in your chosen rural setting and willing physicians. Again, I hope to have more info next week and will pass along any pertinent information that might be if help.

I might have more information next week after a meeting for rural medicine. I'm interested in doing IM/EM as well. After a brief conversation earlier this week, it sounds like it is possible if you have that specialty available in your chosen rural setting and willing physicians. Again, I hope to have more info next week and will pass along any pertinent information that might be if help.
Awesome! Really interested to see what you find out!

could you post the secondary prompt you just received?