2020-2021 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
What is your most important relationship or who is the most influential person in your life and why? Word Count: 300

Optional: Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you? Word Count: 500

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. I am trying to pre-write the secondaries and I need some help with answering why OSU-COM. What did the previous year students do? I know you have to give the details of the program but what did you all write?

2. Can you submit your Primary without all the letter of recommendations in?

1. I am trying to pre-write the secondaries and I need some help with answering why OSU-COM. What did the previous year students do? I know you have to give the details of the program but what did you all write?

2. Can you submit your Primary without all the letter of recommendations in?
Hi! Admitted student in the class of 2024 here!

1. I actually don't think this was on our secondaries last year, but it was asked in the in-person interviews! To answer that question, I would just take a browse around their website and find things that are unique about their school that stand out to you! For me, I talked a lot about their global health track, because I'm really interested in that. It also helps if you talk about their mission statement: particularly the emphasis on serving underserved communities.

If it helps, for my secondary last year I believe the questions were something like this: 1) Who is the most influential person to you and why? and 2) Is there anything else you want to tell us that isn't in your application?

2. Yes, you can submit your AACOMAS primary without your letters of rec. Those can be sent in whenever - but your secondary won't be complete until the school has received them! Just make sure you have them listed in your primary application, and stay on top of the people who are supposed to be sending them.

If anyone has any questions or needs anything, I'm happy to help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary Questions

What is your most important relationship or who is the most influential person in your life and why? Word Count: 300

Optional: Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you? Word Count: 500

Last edited:
Secondary Questions

The latter one, is that like "what are your greatest strengths" but more obtuse? idk what else to put

The latter one, is that like "what are your greatest strengths" but more obtuse? idk what else to put
At this point, I am probably going to not answer it. I feel I poured my heart and soul into my PS/rest of app that I don't have anything else to share. To each their own though.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point, I am probably going to not answer it. I feel I poured my heart and soul into my PS/rest of app that I don't have anything else to share. To each their own though.
Fair enough. I have a prewritten strengths paragraph I’ll slap in there.

Is this school out-of-state friendly?

Is this school out-of-state friendly?

Hi there! I'm an out of state reapplicant this cycle and applied to OSU last cycle! I had the opportunity to talk to Yoder about my application, and she said this - that roughly 70% of their seats are given to in-state, so roughly 30% is OOS and because of that they have to be even more selective when it comes to the OOS.

Hopefully answers your question! And anyone who is IS and a student, feel free to correct me!

2nd year student here, feel free to ask any questions. PM me if you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in teaching as well. Does OSU offer any sort of teaching track or TA position?

Also, the school mentions it is mainly focused on Oklahoma residents. Am I just throwing away $65 by applying here?

After submitting the Secondary, does anyone know if it takes awhile for the portal to update? Marking things as received?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.35.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.35.27 AM.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 171
20200709_164048.jpg

The view from my desk. Has been the main motivation while studying for the MCAT during this pandemic. I really dont even want to go anywhere else besides Tulsa, so obviously OSU is my top choice. Really hoping I get in!!

(If you cannot see it clearly enough in the picture, that is OSU med school)

Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 312365
The view from my desk. Has been the main motivation while studying for the MCAT during this pandemic. I really dont even want to go anywhere else besides Tulsa, so obviously OSU is my top choice. Really hoping I get in!!

(If you cannot see it clearly enough in the picture, that is OSU med school)
Good luck on your MCAT. Keep on at it!

Last edited:
Anyone know how strict they are with the requirement that your letters are date within 1 year? don't want to wast my money if they wont bother with my letters

Yall I just got my MCAT score and I made a 500. The OSU COM website says 500 or above is competitive. How accurate is that? I am OOS with strong ties to Oklahoma(parents and extended family live here). My GPA is 3.99 and I have 120 shadow hours and approx. 90 clinical volunteering hours. I am just a bit worried and would like to see if there's been anyone who has gotten into OSU COM with 500 or near there and is OOS. Help pls! Thanks!

I have a question regarding LoR's

On their website is says -

• Two letters from faculty
  • One letter from a physician (D.O. preferred)
but after receiving my secondary the track on the application says this -

• Two letters from faculty (who taught you as a student): and
I have 2 letters from faculty, but one is from an on campus lab that I worked while at University. The faculty member is a teacher as well, but she never taught me, I just worked in her lab. Does this not fulfill the requirement? I can find a faculty who taught me to write me a letter, but I fear it will cause my application to be delayed.

Yall I just got my MCAT score and I made a 500. The OSU COM website says 500 or above is competitive. How accurate is that? I am OOS with strong ties to Oklahoma(parents and extended family live here). My GPA is 3.99 and I have 120 shadow hours and approx. 90 clinical volunteering hours. I am just a bit worried and would like to see if there's been anyone who has gotten into OSU COM with 500 or near there and is OOS. Help pls! Thanks!

I obviously can’t speak for OSU but I think you’ll definitely still be considered. Your MCAT is on the lower end but your GPA is murderous! They may want more clinical volunteer hours but nothing to fret over now.

Hopefully some students can comment on your MCAT situation but my guess is that you’re not alone!

I have a question regarding LoR's

On their website is says -

• Two letters from faculty
but after receiving my secondary the track on the application says this -

• Two letters from faculty (who taught you as a student): and
I have 2 letters from faculty, but one is from an on campus lab that I worked while at University. The faculty member is a teacher as well, but she never taught me, I just worked in her lab. Does this not fulfill the requirement? I can find a faculty who taught me to write me a letter, but I fear it will cause my application to be delayed.

Chances are that they won’t notice that one of your letter writers did not formally teach you. However, you could argue that she taught you as a student simply by working in her lab. I would email their office to ask and to notify them of the discrepancy between their website and secondary.

I obviously can’t speak for OSU but I think you’ll definitely still be considered. Your MCAT is on the lower end but your GPA is murderous! They may want more clinical volunteer hours but nothing to fret over now.

Hopefully some students can comment on your MCAT situation but my guess is that you’re not alone!
Thanks so much for your kind words! I hope you're right!

Thanks so much for your kind words! I hope you're right!
I know someone who got in with a 498 and a 4.00 GPA. They were IS, so I assume that made it easier, but the school website does list a 500 MCAT as competitive, so I would say your MCAT is competitive for OSU!

Also, the school mentions it is mainly focused on Oklahoma residents. Am I just throwing away $65 by applying here?
Depends on if you are a good applicant or not!

mcat is lower than most OOS people. 500 is competitive for in state. But the ties / GPA could help. Make sure you Express your interest and ties in youressays

Reactions: 1 users
Former student and current resident at OSU. Feel free to hit me up with questions.

Hi, how much time/focus is spent on OMM? Info about weekly hours spent, overall OMM emphasis at the school, etc would be greatly appreciated.

much less than places like kirksville. Maybe a couple hours a week

Just got a “secondary received email” and it states “At that time, your application is eligible to be reviewed by our committee for a possible on-campus interview.”
So be aware, it looks like they may not be doing zoom/online interviews.

Depends on if you are a good applicant or not!

I think so? Good stats, letters, and EC's. 512 MCAT, 3.86 cGPA and 3.66 sGPA. Taught psychology at university, have seven years of experience working with adults with disabilities, internship at concussion clinic, etc. Hopefully thats good enough

I think so? Good stats, letters, and EC's. 512 MCAT, 3.86 cGPA and 3.66 sGPA. Taught psychology at university, have seven years of experience working with adults with disabilities, internship at concussion clinic, etc. Hopefully thats good enough

You sound like a great applicant. Half the battle is just your ability to write about those stellar experiences.

You are not throwing 65$ away at all. I like your odds. All hinges on your writing and emphasizing that you are actually interested in OSU and not just shotgunning an app. Usually people who get in from OOS express some sort of interest in OSU that makes sense to the admin

Does anybody know anyone who actually got into this DO program with the minimum MCAT considered which is a 492?

Does anyone know when II's usually go out? Also if you have any questions regarding the status of your application or need to update it, I highly recommend calling the admissions office. They are super nice and will help you with any issues immediately.

I am interested in teaching as well. Does OSU offer any sort of teaching track or TA position?
Yes, there are several of those opportunities. Most being after your first year. With the advent of ZoomUniversity, TA'ing will be in high demand. That is subject to change.

Yes, there are several of those opportunities. Most being after your first year. With the advent of ZoomUniversity, TA'ing will be in high demand. That is subject to change.

Awesome! I applied but do not really have any connections to the area so we will see

I have a 2.8 undergrad GPA with somewhat of an upward trend, 4.0 masters GPA (18 credits) that I finish in the fall. I took the MCAT three times and got a 490, 501, and 502. I am also an out of state applicant. I have excellent extracurriculars, medical experience, tons of shadowing, and even submitted a paper for publication recently. I submitted my secondary within 10 days of getting it, and had my essays checked by various people much more qualified then me so I think they are definitely on the better side of essays. I also have a sibling who went to OSU so I have spent some time there. Specifically I talked about how learned about the health disparities in rural areas and stuff. Do you guys think I have any chance at all for an interview? If not here, at any school at all? I started undergrad really rough and its haunting me now. I have been working my ass off to get back to a decent level of candidacy.

I think you definitely have a chance at an II for OSU and for plenty of other schools :) don't lose the faith my friend.

I have a 2.8 undergrad GPA with somewhat of an upward trend, 4.0 masters GPA (18 credits) that I finish in the fall. I took the MCAT three times and got a 490, 501, and 502. I am also an out of state applicant. I have excellent extracurriculars, medical experience, tons of shadowing, and even submitted a paper for publication recently. I submitted my secondary within 10 days of getting it, and had my essays checked by various people much more qualified then me so I think they are definitely on the better side of essays. I also have a sibling who went to OSU so I have spent some time there. Specifically I talked about how learned about the health disparities in rural areas and stuff. Do you guys think I have any chance at all for an interview? If not here, at any school at all? I started undergrad really rough and its haunting me now. I have been working my ass off to get back to a decent level of candidacy.
I believe that you, as well as anyone who wants it enough and keeps working to improve themselves, will always have a chance. Just apply and keep improving as you continue to wait for interviews, that is the only thing we can do. Don't worry about your past mistakes, you are showing nice improvement! Keep that level of hard work up!

Hi there! I'm an out of state reapplicant this cycle and applied to OSU last cycle! I had the opportunity to talk to Yoder about my application, and she said this - that roughly 70% of their seats are given to in-state, so roughly 30% is OOS and because of that they have to be even more selective when it comes to the OOS.

Hopefully answers your question! And anyone who is IS and a student, feel free to correct me!

It is more like 90/10.

Your ties will be key. If you really play into that then you have a shot.

Current out of state student in my 4th year. Feel free to AMA.

I believe that you, as well as anyone who wants it enough and keeps working to improve themselves, will always have a chance. Just apply and keep improving as you continue to wait for interviews, that is the only thing we can do. Don't worry about your past mistakes, you are showing nice improvement! Keep that level of hard work up!
This was very motivating. Thank you for saying something positive!

What were your favorite/least favorite things about your education at OSU? Is there any DO school you would have chosen over OSU (without considering tuition)?

PCOM and MSU are the only two I would consider over OSU.

The research availability and access to residency programs in the fields I was interested in have been huge. It really allowed me to make connections and open doors and truly explore my career options.

My least favorite is the massive emphasis on PC, which I feel is often at the expense of a well rounded education, even for those going into primary care. Obviously a student who builds their rotation schedule with care and effort can overcome this but there is zero reason we should have to do a rural clinic rotation, 2 community hospital rotations, 2 primary care “electives,” and a month long OMM rotation.

The preclinical years are pretty “meh.” I basically ignored lectures completely. I’m a firm believer than med students should control their own education and to rely on any school to teach you is going to leave you disappointed.

Overall I give the school a B+ to A- grade.

Hypothetically, would you choose a school like WVSOM with in-state tuition over OSU/PCOM/MSU with OOS tuition?

No. OOS tuition at OSU is less than tuition at many of the private schools. PCOM isn't a state school and I would pick it over pretty much every DO school. If it's MSU then it becomes more muddy with how high their OOS tuition is, but if it were MSU vs WVSOM I would pick MSU.
In other words, is paying OOS tuition for a top DO school worth it?

Yes. The state schools have more resources than all the private schools (except PCOM).
For an average student going for an average specialty?

In this case the student will have to look closely at the numbers. I believe it to be beneficial in most cases except for MSU, because their tuition is so high for OOS compared to literally everywhere else.
Would your answer change if a student is gunning for a surgical specialty or top academic residency?

Yes. In this case home residency programs, research access, and networking capabilities matter above all else. It's going to be an easier path to matching ortho from MSU or PCOM than somewhere like WVSOM.

Probably an insignificant detail but if I listed a future CASPer date on my secondary and ended up taking it earlier than anticipated, should I let admissions know they'll be getting my score sooner? And if I were to email them would it be too early in the game to express how interested I am in attending this school? One of my top schools by far and don't want to rush the intent emails if it will harm my review/annoy them.

Probably an insignificant detail but if I listed a future CASPer date on my secondary and ended up taking it earlier than anticipated, should I let admissions know they'll be getting my score sooner? And if I were to email them would it be too early in the game to express how interested I am in attending this school? One of my top schools by far and don't want to rush the intent emails if it will harm my review/annoy them.

I wouldn’t email them about the earlier Casper date, just make sure when it gets scored that it gets sent to them. Should most likely auto update in your file and then email them if it doesn’t after a day or two that Casper said they sent it out.