Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About 6 people who are not current students joined in the past week. I recognized one of them from my interview group in October who was admitted off the bat, so that doesn't necessarily mean that there's been movement from the waitlist.
That's true. Wasn't the last interviewing group only a week and a half ago though?

Members don't see this ad :)
There were interviews for at least three days this past week.

So they probably want to make decisions on those interviews before taking a bunch of people off of the wait list. Last time I called they said they were behind where they normally are at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
So they probably want to make decisions on those interviews before taking a bunch of people off of the wait list. Last time I called they said they were behind where they normally are at this point.
No idea. That knowledge is above my pay grade. Also, 19/82 of the current facebook group are MSI/II. Some of the others will choose not to attend OSU. There's plenty of time to hear from the waitlist.

Just got back into the country. Was there any movement on the Facebook group this week?

The FB group contains 64 people who are not current students with only 3 being added within the past week.

I don't know how reliable the information I was told is but we were told that they were behind in the process and interviews may go longer than in the past?

I just called Sarah. OSU finished this cycle's interviews before Spring Break.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I think all the school employees are there and functioning as usual even though it's Spring Break. I'd imagine the 2nd week after spring break we will start getting calls. Fingers crossed

currently there are 84 members with two being added last week

You don't happen to know if those two are current students vs new acceptances do you? If not no big deal, just curious.

from my knowledge they are new acceptances with 2 mods who are current students. since the group allows everyone to add anyone, theres a pretty low chance that 100% of the members are all accepted students but i dont know why you would add a non-accepted student.

You don't happen to know if those two are current students vs new acceptances do you? If not no big deal, just curious.
One of those two is a current student. Currently 20 of the 84 in the group are MSI/II. Please keep in mind some accepted students haven't joined yet, and some that have joined will not matriculate.

For those in the group, don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you may have for the current students. Housing, financial aid, books, supplies, whatever you can think of.

One of those two is a current student. Currently 20 of the 84 in the group are MSI/II. Please keep in mind some accepted students haven't joined yet, and some that have joined will not matriculate.

For those in the group, don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you may have for the current students. Housing, financial aid, books, supplies, whatever you can think of.

What is the biggest reason for those currently accepted, my situation, not matriculating?

What is the biggest reason for those currently accepted, my situation, not matriculating?
Some applicants apply to OSU-COM as a fallback to allopathic schools, so a few who are pulled off the waitlist at those will jump ship. All the cool kids matriculate to OSU though.

And a few just end up deciding not to go into medicine at all.

Some applicants apply to OSU-COM as a fallback to allopathic schools, so a few who are pulled off the waitlist at those will jump ship. All the cool kids matriculate to OSU though.

And a few just end up deciding not to go into medicine at all.
Thanks for the response. Can you point me to the 2015 OSU match results? I'm interested to learn about them. It seems that OsU does very well placing students in a variety of residency programs

Thanks for the response. Can you point me to the 2015 OSU match results? I'm interested to learn about them. It seems that OsU does very well placing students in a variety of residency programs
I haven't seen anything. The ACGME match was just announced Friday, so a list probably hasn't been posted online yet (the website is terrible) and I haven't received an email with it. If I see anything, I'll post it here.

Has anyone who recently interviewed (within the past month or so) heard back yet?

I would think that they are going to be sending out emails either this week or next week. I'm pretty sure I got my email on a Thursday.

I am getting antsy as well. I would expect a round of calls/e-mails to go out sometime between today and Friday. The e-mails are for those waitlisted and last year I got my waitlist e-mail the day after people got their acceptances. For those of you watching the phone in anticipation, the calls seemed to go out last year on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 1:30 and 3:30-ish and are always from a 918-561-xxxx phone number.

Reactions: 2 users
For the Feb 24th group(and after)... they have not reviewed our applications/interviews as a committee yet. So hold tight, and put your minds at ease a little...

60717144.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I've got a question about residency matching at OSU. On the 2012 match results it says that 20 people were a non-match (roughly 20%) is that a significant amount of people who were not matched? Is there a specific reason for this (didn't match because of scores, picked a competitive specialty, etc.)? I'm just a little concerned with it because it would be terrible to go all the way through med school and not get matched, wouldn't want to waste the time and money. Also is there anywhere to see a more recent match list?

Last edited:
I've got a question about residency matching at OSU. On the 2012 match results it says that 20 people were a non-match (roughly 20%) is that a significant amount of people who were not matched? Is there a specific reason for this (didn't match because of scores, picked a competitive specialty, etc.)? I'm just a little concerned with it because it would be terrible to go all the way through med school and not get matched, wouldn't want to waste the time and money. Also is there anywhere to see a more recent match list?
They have 2014 up also. Google it and look at various links. Make sure you are reading it correctly.

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/com/admissions/graduates.php

Match rates look good to me! A couple of people even matched to University of Chicago and University of Alabama at Birmingham in anesthesiology, which is pretty impressive!

Match rates look good to me! A couple of people even matched to University of Chicago and University of Alabama at Birmingham in anesthesiology, which is pretty impressive!
They had people matching at UT southwestern and U Colorado Anschutz as well. Considering the fact that there are a number of people at OSU who self select rural residencies, I think OSU has a very nice match list and it shows that if you do well at OSU the opportunity exists to land a competitive residency at a major university hospital.

"PathoTurnUp1865, post: 16333186, member: 681354"]I've got a question about residency matching at OSU. On the 2012 match results it says that 20 people were a non-match (roughly 20%)

2012 had an 87 percent match rate, that's not nearly 20% non match, although it's lower than you'd like to see. I'm not sure why this happened but I bet a current student could answer that.

"PathoTurnUp1865, post: 16333186, member: 681354"]I've got a question about residency matching at OSU. On the 2012 match results it says that 20 people were a non-match (roughly 20%)

2012 had an 87 percent match rate, that's not nearly 20% non match, although it's lower than you'd like to see. I'm not sure why this happened but I bet a current student could answer that.

~Where are you seeing an 87 percent match rate? From what I see on the spread sheet under the "Osteopathic Stats by Schools" tab it states that they had a 41.7% match rate, 20.8% non-match and a 37.5% non-participant. Am I missing something or not looking at the right information?

Nevermind I found it, I guess I was looking at a different part of the website. Those look great!

~Where are you seeing an 87 percent match rate? From what I see on the spread sheet under the "Osteopathic Stats by Schools" tab it states that they had a 41.7% match rate, 20.8% non-match and a 37.5% non-participant. Am I missing something or not looking at the right information?

You aren't looking at the right information. I posted earlier that there were multiple links and you should follow them all in order to get current information also.

So, question about that match rate web link.. Most of the grad numbers are in the 80s or 90s, but I thought the class size is 115? Does that mean that many people drop out? I hope not..:nailbiting:

So, question about that match rate web link.. Most of the grad numbers are in the 80s or 90s, but I thought the class size is 115? Does that mean that many people drop out? I hope not..:nailbiting:
Class size was smaller a few years ago. It was only until recently the class size increased to 115. No worries!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone talked to the admissions office this week? I may call Friday and see if they can answer anything about when possible wait list movement might be.

Denied by email today. 28 MCAT, ^3.79 GPAs, OOS. This was the first update I received from this school. Luckily accepted elsewhere, good luck to everyone!

Denied by email today. 28 MCAT, ^3.79 GPAs, OOS. This was the first update I received from this school. Luckily accepted elsewhere, good luck to everyone!
I'm sorry to hear this. If you don't mind me asking, when was your interview date?

I'm sorry to hear this. If you don't mind me asking, when was your interview date?

I didn't interview here, they never contacted me till now.