Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Incase anyone was wondering they changed the way secondaries are done this year. They will be emailed once the primary application has been received/reviewed.

Reactions: 1 users
Incase anyone was wondering they changed the way secondaries are done this year. They will be emailed once the primary application has been received/reviewed.

Do you know if it's the same format as the old secondary? I started it on their site the day it opened (June 1), but then they closed it the next day lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since I had to ask about some final wait list stuff I went ahead and asked about the secondaries. This is the response I got when I asked if they knew when they would start emailing secondaries. "Once we receive your AACOMAS application. I think the first download from AACOM will be available to us towards the end of the month!"

Hope that relieves some stress for anyone wondering what the deal is with the OSU-COM secondary application.

Do you know if it's the same format as the old secondary? I started it on their site the day it opened (June 1), but then they closed it the next day lol.
We will not know until someone gets the secondary application emailed to them. So hopefully whoever gets one first will post the info on the discussion board.

We will not know until someone gets the secondary application emailed to them. So hopefully whoever gets one first will post the info on the discussion board.

I talked to an OSUCOM rep today, and she was very nice and told me that it has the same questions as the old secondary.

secondary received today! I think they automatically send them out after they receive your primary - my primary was submitted today. It looks like the same one from last year:

If not currently in school, describe present activity:

Why do you wish to attend OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine?

Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?

All of the prompts have 500 word caps on them.

:)

Anyone else having trouble saving the essay entries ?

Does anyone struggle with the question "is there anything else you would like us to know"?? I'm always at a loss of what I should (or should not) put...there's nothing exceptional/important that I haven't already included on my application, and I don't want to put something arbitrary just for the sake of putting something.

Does anyone struggle with the question "is there anything else you would like us to know"?? I'm always at a loss of what I should (or should not) put...there's nothing exceptional/important that I haven't already included on my application, and I don't want to put something arbitrary just for the sake of putting something.
I was thinking the same. I'll probably put something along the lines of what my hobbies are.

So if were considering rural medicine but don't want to commit to it should we still put that were interested in it, and if we don't will that be a negative on our file?

So if were considering rural medicine but don't want to commit to it should we still put that were interested in it, and if we don't will that be a negative on our file?
If you're interested in rural med, definitely write about that. If you're not interested in it, don't lie. Saying you're interested in rural med doesn't in any way lock you into the field. If you didn't know, there is a rural track program offered for those interested. Even if you go through that program you're not precluded from any specialty if you decide rural med isn't for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any ideas of what to include in the "any then we want you to know section?"

I'm going to use it as an opportunity to explain my less-than-stellar performance at the beginning of my undergrad career (I started with a 2-something and finished with a 4.0, but I avoided the discussion of grades in my PS bc it didn't 'flow' with the story I wanted to tell).

If you don't have a potential 'red flag' that you need to discuss, then maybe add something that you forgot to mention on your AACOMAS app or highlight something unique about you that you omitted in your other essays. Secondaries are meant to help admissions officers get to know you as a person and to see whether you're a good fit for their school... So don't leave any potential blemishes open to interpretation- the point is to show them how you would positively impact their community if you were admitted.

With that said-- don't force it. If you feel as though you adequately showed them who you are as an applicant, and the essay is truly optional, then don't be afraid to either leave it blank or just write a sentence or two. In having worked in admissions myself, I can't count the number of stellar applicants I've seen shoot themselves in the foot for being overly verbose and repetitive. The key is balance. Hope this helps.

Wishing you the best of luck! :)

Hey everyone, I know this may not be the best place to ask this question but after how many years would you begin receiving in-state tuition if you are an OOS applicant.

Is this school OOS friendly?

Last edited:
Is this school OOS friendly? I'm from Ohio haha.
Sure, if you get in! 10-15% of the 115-student class is from OOS. However, there's no required five year contract for this school as there is for OUCOM.

In order to receive the secondary app one only needs to submit the AACOMAS app, correct? They aren't waiting on letters or anything else-right? Just wanting to be clear!

In order to receive the secondary app one only needs to submit the AACOMAS app, correct? They aren't waiting on letters or anything else-right? Just wanting to be clear!
Correct. Once your AACOMAS is verified, received by OSU and meets their standards you will get an email with the link to the secondary app.

Officially complete! Now well see how hard it is to get an OOS interview :p good luck everyone!

Hey is there anyone watching this thread that is currently a student. Just trying to figure out if I should send in a secondary as an OOS. I have really good stats if you look at my grades for the last 5 years; sGPA 3.6, CGPA 3.9, MCAT 27. But I failed out of school in the 90s and my overall sGPA (3.3) and cGPA (3.2) pulls me down. I also have good ECs, like being a paramedic for 20 years in both rural and urban settings. Just trying to see what everyone thinks.

I'm going to apply this cycle, but I am not taking the MCAT until October.

We'll see how everything goes...

Hey is there anyone watching this thread that is currently a student. Just trying to figure out if I should send in a secondary as an OOS. I have really good stats if you look at my grades for the last 5 years; sGPA 3.6, CGPA 3.9, MCAT 27. But I failed out of school in the 90s and my overall sGPA (3.3) and cGPA (3.2) pulls me down. I also have good ECs, like being a paramedic for 20 years in both rural and urban settings. Just trying to see what everyone thinks.

If you have a grade history for the last five years, I doubt they really care about what you did in the 90s. MCAT is about average for in-state, probably a little low for OOS. The secondary fee is one of the cheapest for DO schools, so I'd send it (you already paid the AACOMAS fee for this school so why not?). This school is pretty big on rural med so maybe your paramedic experience in that would help to some extent.

Hello guys thanks to everyone that chips in on here the forums are very helpful in my med school journey. I have a specific question and please if you can answer it specifically because that is what I am looking for. I will ask the question at the end after I present my situation please be patient
Here is a profile for my application first :

I am an Oklahoma resident.

Masters degree from OU (non science) 4.0 gpa top 10 percent

Joined NSU post bacc and took science classes at TCC finished all my pre-med pre-req science classes with a 4.0 gpa as well

The only issue is that my Under grad is foreign with a 3.0. Gpa and AACOMS
calculated that into the cumulative but I have not been having a problem with that as it seems that other schools that screen for gpa and mcat before sending secondaries have been sending me secondaries and most schools from what I saw focuse on American and later academic work.

Mcat 26

Lots of volunteer work in community relation and in a field where I help families of sick kids and other activities

Close to 80 hours clinical shadowing 2 D.Os and one M.D

Strong letters of recommendation including pre-med committee letter

I believe I also have a successful story I am a father and a husband, an immigrant who started from scratch and had to juggle work , family and being the sole provider while going to school despite all that I managed to keep my gpa at 4.0

The only real issue I am worried about is that I only have one upper division science class with lab (genetics) the other class is a non lab which is developmental biology

I was planning to take another class this fall while waiting for an interview but that might not happen because I don't qualify for financial aid to take one class and I really don't have the finances. Additionally I do not want to take a busy class with lab considering I am applying to many other schools and with the possibility of multiple travel trips I don't want to risk my finals

Is having one upper division in my case a deal breaker or worst yet could they wait list me to the end of the spring so I can take more upper division ?

Hello guys thanks to everyone that chips in on here the forums are very helpful in my med school journey. I have a specific question and please if you can answer it specifically because that is what I am looking for. I will ask the question at the end after I present my situation please be patient

Joined NSU post bacc and took science classes at TCC finished all my pre-med pre-req science classes with a 4.0 gpa as well

calculated that into the cumulative but I have not been having a problem with that as it seems that other schools that screen for gpa and mcat before sending secondaries have been sending me secondaries and most schools from what I saw focuse on American and later academic work.

Mcat 26

Lots of volunteer work in community relation and in a field where I help families of sick kids and other activities

I believe I also have a successful story I am a father and a husband, an immigrant who started from scratch and had to juggle work , family and being the sole provider while going to school despite all that I managed to keep my gpa at 4.0

The only real issue I am worried about is that I only have one upper division science class with lab (genetics) the other class is a non lab which is developmental biology

I was planning to take another class this fall while waiting for an interview but that might not happen because I don't qualify for financial aid to take one class and I really don't have the finances. Additionally I do not want to take a busy class with lab considering I am applying to many other schools and with the possibility of multiple travel trips I don't want to risk my finals

Is having one upper division in my case a deal breaker or worst yet could they wait list me to the end of the spring so I can take more upper division ?
This May or may not help you. Last year I interviewed with several schools but was only accepted into SGU. I deferred there for one more shot at a bunch of US schools. Although I have a bunch of upper division science, one of the things that was a common theme was about my upper division classes. When I meet with several admissions reps after the rejections they did mention that was one thing they looked at but not everything. You have a masters degree which shows somewhat you can handle the corse load even if it was non-science. It is only a few bucks in terms of the application. As for the classes, I understand the finical strain, as a possible suggestion is a private loan which you can get for amounts over 1000.

Mcat 26

I think your best bet is to contact Lindsey or Maghin in the admissions office. You have all your pre-reqs and a couple upper-division sciences which sounds similar to many non-science major pre-meds that get in all the time. But yeah, call the admissions office.

Thanks guys ! I did call them they give me the general response about what a competitive applicant is , basically they say there have been applicants getting in with one upper division but since they look at each applicant as a whole they can't give me specifics I understand their position but I wished there was someone who is familiar with the process or have insight that can guide one way or another
Thanks again !

Completed on 7/8. When do they start extending II? I know they don't start until 10/1 but didn't know if they start scheduling interviews early.

Completed on 7/8. When do they start extending II? I know they don't start until 10/1 but didn't know if they start scheduling interviews early.
Don't know if it's the same for everyone, but for me it was 2-3 weeks before the interview date.

Applying here: 3.8 nonscience GPA, 3.5 sGPA, 25 MCAT (7,8,10), 60 shadowing hours, 100 clinical volunteering hours, 300+ nonclinical volunteer hours, 10 leadership positions, 10 awards, and 100 hours with research w/publication.

Applying here: 3.8 nonscience GPA, 3.5 sGPA, 25 MCAT (7,8,10), 60 shadowing hours, 100 clinical volunteering hours, 300+ nonclinical volunteer hours, 10 leadership positions, 10 awards, and 100 hours with research w/publication.
Are you an in state or out of state applicant?

Hey everyone, I know this may not be the best place to ask this question but after how many years would you begin receiving in-state tuition if you are an OOS applicant.
I heard that if you are OOS the first year, you will be OOS for the rest of medical school.

Hey Everybody. Just trying to get some information about my chances here. Primary Submitted today. Technically OOS (Kansas Resident), however I might be able to get residency since I will have been in Norman, OK for 2 years. cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.63 (began with 2.63 freshman year and ended with 4.0 junior and senior year), gGPA 4.0 MCAT 26 (10,6,10). Getting my Master's in Biochemistry from OU in May. Have around 4 years of preclinical research experience in organic chemistry, biochemistry, and molecular biology. I helped my family start a non-profit organization for my brother, 700+ non-medical volunteering hours with various other organizations. Around 60 shadowing hours and 100+ hours at a free clinic in OKC. Very strong personal statement and letters of recommendation from the premedical committee and a DO that I have shadowed, along with my research advisor. Will have a thesis defense and I have won many awards in both undergrad and graduate school for my research and teaching abilities. I have two years of teaching experience in general chemistry 1 and 2, among other tutoring and mentoring from my undergraduate career. I will hopefully have a research publication in the next year. I am very interested in OSU's PhD/DO program. Any help is appreciated.

Hey Everybody. Just trying to get some information about my chances here. Primary Submitted today. Technically OOS (Kansas Resident), however I might be able to get residency since I will have been in Norman, OK for 2 years. cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.63 (began with 2.63 freshman year and ended with 4.0 junior and senior year), gGPA 4.0 MCAT 26 (10,6,10). Getting my Master's in Biochemistry from OU in May. Have around 4 years of preclinical research experience in organic chemistry, biochemistry, and molecular biology. I helped my family start a non-profit organization for my brother, 700+ non-medical volunteering hours with various other organizations. Around 60 shadowing hours and 100+ hours at a free clinic in OKC. Very strong personal statement and letters of recommendation from the premedical committee and a DO that I have shadowed, along with my research advisor. Will have a thesis defense and I have won many awards in both undergrad and graduate school for my research and teaching abilities. I have two years of teaching experience in general chemistry 1 and 2, among other tutoring and mentoring from my undergraduate career. I will hopefully have a research publication in the next year. I am very interested in OSU's PhD/DO program. Any help is appreciated.
That's a lot better than my app, so you definitely have a chance. You probably want to get in contact with the graduate admissions coordinator ([email protected]) in addition to the D.O. admissions office for info on the dual-degree program. Don't count on getting in-state tuition if you've only been in Oklahoma as a student though.

I don't think you have anything to worry about...Looking at your application, if you don't get in, I don't know who will....

Applying here. OOS from Alabama. My wife is applying to a PhD program there as well, which I will definitely mention in my secondary (which I already received BTW).

Stats: 3.2 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, 3.38 postbacc GPA, 3.8 GPA over last 1.5 years. 26MCAT. Poor GPA is due to a 3.05 for my first undergrad degree (1992-1997). I am retaking the MCAT; AC was broken on test day and the room temp was ~93 degrees/90% humidity. I usually score in the low to mid 30s on my practice MCATs.

Completed University of Southern California's brutal postbacc program, and then decided to enroll in a Biomedical Sciences degree program at Auburn University to better prepare for med school (and take UD science courses + mitigate the GPA damage at USC). Received a year-long paid Auburn University undergraduate research fellowship; one of only 5 in my school to receive such. Served one thousand volunteer hours at a teaching hospital; 400ish were clinical (I won all awards for which a volunteer is eligible), and 600ish were leadership (I was one of 4 people to run the 400+ volunteer force). I actually did more like 2000 hours over my 2.5-year tenure, but it is not all documented. Spent 4 weeks on a medical mission in Haiti. Shadowed 3 doctors for a total of 250 hours, 120 of which were a D.O. that headed the I.M. residency program at my hospital and also wrote one of my LORs. I tutor Chemistry & Physiology in the athletic department and also serve as an A&P undergraduate TA. Certified as an EMT-B and served as the medical first responder on my church's safety team. Taught Chemistry classes to 6th grade inner-city kids in LA for one semester. Some other ECs that I can't remember off the top of my head. Prior to all of this I earned a degree in Computer Information Systems and had a 14-year career in I.T. Management working for Fortune 500 companies.

All of the above sounds so self-serving; I just want to follow what I believe is God's plan for my life, and deliver healthcare to the medically underserved ... preferably in a rural area!

Hoping for some OOS love and a holistic file review ... and a better score on my 8/27 MCAT. Not sure how much of a chance I have at this awesome school.

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:
Is it just me or is there not a pre-addressed option in Interfolio to submit these (electronically or not) to OSU-COM?

Is it just me or is there not a pre-addressed option in Interfolio to submit these (electronically or not) to OSU-COM?
Its you. I found it in interfolio when I submitted my application. Don't stress.

Anyone have any updates?
Nothing yet. From looking at the forums from the previous two cycles, it's likely that interview invites will start next Friday or the Friday after.

They start pretty late in the cycle compared to some of the DO schools. I was officially complete on 8/22/14.

And keep in mind one of our student affairs / admissions girls is out on maternity leave.

And keep in mind one of our student affairs / admissions girls is out on maternity leave.

darth-vader-nooooo.jpg

(Just kidding though, congrats to her and her new baby.)