Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sj786 said:
what are the avg GPA/ MCAT for oklahoma.

appreciate the help

I don't know what the whole college's average is, but here are the stats for our class.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• CO2009Stats.jpg
    CO2009Stats.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 131
Newby said:
The moment that I knew that I would be accepted into the OU-COM class of 2010 happened on my interview day. I was sitting chatting with some of the other applicants when as I glanced around the room I saw a familiar face. Ms. B. Itchy was a former co-worker of mine. Needless to say, not one that I cared too much for. It was at that moment that I knew Ms. Itchy and I would both be accepted, and be placed into the same mod. Lo and behold, the list of mod assignments that arrived in my mailbox today confirmed my suspicion.

I decided to post this thought under a different username in case Ms. Itchy happens to post here, and would know who I was under my usual handle.

Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You have a 50% chance of not being in Ms. Itchy's PCM group at least!! And really, outside of your PCM group, there aren't too many times when you'll be with large numbers of people in your mod against your will. PBL's only happen every few weeks, and you might not be in her PBL group either!

Another thing I would say is to be wary of bringing pre-med school biases about people into school. I definitely had a Ms. Itchy moment as well (though she didn't wind up in my mod), but I have to say that she' s a very different person now that she's in med school, and I really don't have any negative feelings toward her anymore at all.

This being a state school, there's a pretty good chance that if you went to high school or college in state, you're likely to know several people in your class (since you were likely in the same advanced classes/dorky pre-med groups). But like I said, in my experience, there's something about med school that brings people together, kinda like war. The fact that you're surviving it together will probably make you get along a bit better.

And if not, you probably won't have to see her too much if you don't want to :D

Smitty3L said:
So glad to hear that open-toe is okay!

WhoIs -Congratulations, how does it feel to be officially tied down? I think it took a good month or two for me to get used to the idea, it's a whole new world.

Thanks!! It feels pretty good so far, when I remember it at least!! People keep calling me by my new last name and I look at my husband, because it still hasn't sunk in that his last name also refers to ME now... ;) It's all good though. We'd been dating for over four years before we got married, so I've been ready for it for awhile :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Amxcvbcv said:
Marriage is good. :p

I don't think I could survive being single.

I really believe this is only true if you are male. There is a reason that married men live longer than single men, and vice versa for females. Husbands literally suck the life out of their wives.

If my husband reads this -- love you honey!

Smitty3L said:
I really believe this is only true if you are male. There is a reason that married men live longer than single men, and vice versa for females. Husbands literally suck the life out of their wives.

If my husband reads this -- love you honey!

Oh, so true, sometimes. :)

So I'm irritated because I set up my mail to be forwarded to my new address starting today. However, I'm still in Portland (the move got set back by a day :( ) and won't be there until Saturday or so. Dang it, I want to know my mod number!!

Did anything else interesting show up in the mail?

Did I mention moving sucks?

exlawgrrl said:
Oh, so true, sometimes. :)

So I'm irritated because I set up my mail to be forwarded to my new address starting today. However, I'm still in Portland (the move got set back by a day :( ) and won't be there until Saturday or so. Dang it, I want to know my mod number!!

Did anything else interesting show up in the mail?

Did I mention moving sucks?

pm me your name (or just post it) and I will send it to you. It also lists your mentors name.
Edit. I think I found you on the list based on your area code (no I don't have anything better to do :) ). You are in mod 232. Your mentor's name is Alison.

RachelD said:
pm me your name (or just post it) and I will send it to you. It also lists your mentors name.
Edit. I think I found you on the list based on your area code (no I don't have anything better to do :) ). You are in mod 232. Your mentor's name is Alison.

232... great mod... great mod. ;)

RachelD said:

Cool, thank you!! Clever detective work there. :)

im out of the country a while and havent gotten mail for a month. anybody hook me up with my mod number? first name Geoffrey?

glp said:
im out of the country a while and havent gotten mail for a month. anybody hook me up with my mod number? first name Geoffrey?

You are in mod 213. So far I don't think any of us SDN'ers are in the same mod. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey amx happy belated bday man. I didnt get on SDN on your bday and you dont have the evil Facebook either so I couldn't have done it there. :D and I just realized that we have 4 people from our mod that checks SDN. mod 132! me you siam and major!

iTam said:
Hey amx happy belated bday man. I didnt get on SDN on your bday and you dont have the evil Facebook either so I couldn't have done it there. :D and I just realized that we have 4 people from our mod that checks SDN. mod 132! me you siam and major!

what can we say...232/132 is the ****

iTam said:

Don't forget Speedo (Andra) and the Antigunner (Dan)! Let me get a booyah for 132!

No letter yet. I wonder if the mail in Tulsa is slow or if I did something wrong. :(

231 for me :)
I also got my diploma today, so it was a good day. :)

want2beadoc said:
231 for me :)
I also got my diploma today, so it was a good day. :)
Congrats! We'll all know each other's non-virtual names soon enough - if anybody sees my initials - P.N. (918 area code) - on the list before RachelD can get back with me, please let me know what my assignments are!

Non-Trad = 213 :) Glad I could help. I'll PM the rest of it.

want2beadoc said:
Way cool... I'm glad I was on the list. Thanks. Glp, see you around the mod!

iTam said:

Thanks, man. ;)

I actually signed up a while back, but I really never check it. :p

want2beadoc said:
So are the mods assigned randomly? Or is there some type of order?

DivaDoc12 said:

They went alphabetically for us.

DivaDoc12 said:
Actually, it looks like they made a special effort to make sure the SDN crowd was broken-up. If they're trying to prevent modular anarchy, it can't be random.

By the way, DivaDoc, thanks for your earlier post about losing the negative attitude - it made me look at the situation again and it cheered me up. I figure I might as well get over myself - I had my cake and punch send-off at the hospital yesterday and, once they've cut the cake, you're history - no backing-out now. I've got my house in OKC pretty much set-up and I'm moving down this weekend. Now that I don't work anymore, the only way out is forward. I'm good to go.

Congrats again, WhoIsJG. I'm fine with being single, but I need my furry best friend at the end of the day. If she sniffs cadaver, though, she probably won't come near me. She may like being an OKC dog - OKC is way too spread-out but my small house actually has a bigger backyard than we have in Tulsa. OKC also has a real dog park, which Tulsa does not.

Don't we need to start the "Oklahoma (Prospective) Class of 2011" thread soon since OU is now rolling??

Non-TradTulsa said:
Don't we need to start the "Oklahoma (Prospective) Class of 2011" thread soon since OU is now rolling??

I waited until we'd been rolling a couple of weeks, but I guess it's up to you folks. ;)

I pass you the torch... so to speak.

Be sure you don't set the building on fire.

What was the address to that blog for our class?

Thanks
Johnny :)

Newby said:
The moment that I knew that I would be accepted into the OU-COM class of 2010 happened on my interview day. I was sitting chatting with some of the other applicants when as I glanced around the room I saw a familiar face. Ms. B. Itchy was a former co-worker of mine. Needless to say, not one that I cared too much for. It was at that moment that I knew Ms. Itchy and I would both be accepted, and be placed into the same mod. Lo and behold, the list of mod assignments that arrived in my mailbox today confirmed my suspicion.

I decided to post this thought under a different username in case Ms. Itchy happens to post here, and would know who I was under my usual handle.

That's too funny...

Smitty3L said:
212 here!

212 here too. Also, were you at the BLS class on the 27th because somebody in my group said the exact same thing about marriage that you posted? If not, then that is one freaky coincidence.

RachelD said:
You are in mod 213. So far I don't think any of us SDN'ers are in the same mod. :thumbdown:

thanks for the info!

Reddink said:
212 here too. Also, were you at the BLS class on the 27th because somebody in my group said the exact same thing about marriage that you posted? If not, then that is one freaky coincidence.

I have used my psychic powers to determine that she WAS, in fact, at the BRS class on the 27th.

(...also, she said so a few pages back)

;)

Non-TradTulsa said:
Way cool... I'm glad I was on the list. Thanks. Glp, see you around the mod!

no doubt, i will know someone in my mod, nice. granted we only met for 5 minutes at interview day, but nonetheless, better than nothing.

Reddink said:

So Is anyone going to attend the orientation event at the Zoo hosted by OSMA?

DivaDoc12 said:

I'm going, and bringing my husband along. I think we get free stuff :thumbup:

Reddink - yeah that was me, it's funny that is the only thought that I have on being married.

My husband and I are going to the OSMA thing at the zoo. I was reading the flyer about it and trying to decide if I wanted to go and then I read they would be giving stuff away and that sealed the deal for me.

RachelD said:
I'm going, and bringing my husband along. I think we get free stuff :thumbup:

Yes! You do get free stuff. You also get to walk around the Zoo after the talk, which is a lot of fun :) I know in our case, the Zoo was closed by the time it was finished, so we had it all to ourselves :) It's a good way to get to know some of your classmates in a more relaxed setting.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Yes! You do get free stuff. You also get to walk around the Zoo after the talk, which is a lot of fun :) I know in our case, the Zoo was closed by the time it was finished, so we had it all to ourselves :) It's a good way to get to know some of your classmates in a more relaxed setting.

I was looking over the orientation schedule. It said we had to do ice breaker exercises with our mods. What does that actually entail?

DivaDoc12 said:
I was looking over the orientation schedule. It said we had to do ice breaker exercises with our mods. What does that actually entail?

Hmmm... I don't remember them, which means it probably wasn't too painful :) Probably just things like where you're from/where you went to undergrad/your favorite color etc.

Have most people bought laptops or could I get away with a desktop. If so, which ones are people looking at? I haven't bought a computer in nearly six years, so am out of touch with what is good.

DivaDoc12 said:
Just standard kind of icebreaker stuff...

I think we were supposed to write out name on one of the markerboards along with something we're good at/known for/etc. We also had to make a poster for our mod, including a motto, mascot, creed, whatever.

Don't worry. It's awkward for everyone. You do so much together that first week, though, that you'll get to know everyone pretty quickly.

I wasn't a social person at all in college, and I really get along great with my classmates. I wouldn't change a thing. :)

Med school is awesome!

I'll be at the zoo as well...I think they serve food that night?? My wife was all over that! I'll be the guy with the VERY pregnant wife, probably sitting on a park bench...

Should we arrive at the White Coat full or hungry? It doesn't mention food, and doesn't really seem long enough for that to happen in addition to the ceremonious goings-on. Plus it is kinda late in the evening for most people; not me of course. But if I plan on food and there isn't any, I'll be the guy being pummeled by the aforementioned Pregosaurus Rex...

DivaDoc12 said:

ill definitely be there.

Mr. Freeze said:
I'll be at the zoo as well...I think they serve food that night?? My wife was all over that! I'll be the guy with the VERY pregnant wife, probably sitting on a park bench...

Should we arrive at the White Coat full or hungry? It doesn't mention food, and doesn't really seem long enough for that to happen in addition to the ceremonious goings-on. Plus it is kinda late in the evening for most people; not me of course. But if I plan on food and there isn't any, I'll be the guy being pummeled by the aforementioned Pregosaurus Rex...

Last year, the white coat ceremony had an hors d'oeuvres reception. I think my family and I ate afterwards and mostly skipped the hors d'oeuvres, but it's up to you.

bluespin83 said:
Have most people bought laptops or could I get away with a desktop. If so, which ones are people looking at? I haven't bought a computer in nearly six years, so am out of touch with what is good.

You definitely can get away with just a desktop; laptops are nice, but if you don't take notes on them, you probably won't miss having one. Remember that you will have two computers in your mod, and of course there are tons of computers in the library. So as long as you don't expect to want to use your computer in class, you don't have to worry about having one at school.

Mr. Freeze said:
Pregosaurus Rex...

This had my cracking up! I remember taking snacks with me everywhere I went when I was pregnant.

Mr. Freeze said:

Stop being mean to your pregosaurus wife!! I'm sure being VERY pregnant in July is a very miserable experience. Anyway, meanie, yes food is served at the OSMA dinner, no it's not served at the white coat ceremony (except for cookies or something like that).

EDIT: The reason I replied to this again is because I somehow managed to miss the "Pregosaurus Rex" sentence the first time I read it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.