Oklahoma - (Prospective) Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anoother newbie question. I'm trying to work out child care issues...I know, or I think that I know that I Anatomy lab and PCM are a must attend, and Anatomy lectures you get points for going but it is not required. Anything else we are required to attend?

I hope it's not a bad sign that I am all ready planning on missing class :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Non-TradTulsa said:
Serious newbie question... are contact lenses discouraged or prohibited in anatomy lab? I normally only wear eyeglasses in order to get from bed to the sink... and my glasses are so ratty that I wouldn't wear 'em in public. I do need to get a new pair, but I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to make that a priority before anatomy lab starts. Thanks!

I think they recommend not wearing contacts - that being said, I can tell you that I wore them for every lab last year and never had the slightest problem.

Smitty3L said:
Anoother newbie question. I'm trying to work out child care issues...I know, or I think that I know that I Anatomy lab and PCM are a must attend, and Anatomy lectures you get points for going but it is not required. Anything else we are required to attend?

Those are the regularly scheduled things that you should go to. There are also the random things like IMPS and PBLs that you'll need to attend. Other than that, it's pretty much up to you whether you go or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many points are we talking about for going to anatomy lectures?

Smitty3L said:
How many points are we talking about for going to anatomy lectures?

I don't remember for sure - there are 2 quiz questions at the end of each lecture, and for each you get right you get a point. I think they were basically extra credit, as in if you miss them it doesn't hurt your grade, just helps if you get them right. I can't remember what kind of percentage it was for the overall grade, though.

Smitty3L said:

Not a bad sign at all, it actually shows that you're being realistic about your particular situation. At first though, I would recommend that you plan on triying to attend as much as possible initially, then decide what your learning style dicates as the semester moves on. The only times you'll be there late is on your dissection days. The labs go until 5 or 6 (I can't remember which, and most groups are done earlier, except on particularly difficult labs, in which case you might be there right up until, or even a bit after. But if you have an outside obligation, such as picking up your kiddo, I don't think your lab group is going to mind if you leave a bit early on those rare days.

Most people that ended up being homeschoolers such as myself started doing so starting the second semester of MS1 simply due to anatomy lab, anatomy lectures w/ bonus points, etc. After that, you're pretty much only actually required to be at the lecture hall maybe an average of a few hours a week.

Thank you guys for all of the info!

oudoc08 said:
Not a bad sign at all, it actually shows that you're being realistic about your particular situation. At first though, I would recommend that you plan on triying to attend as much as possible initially, then decide what your learning style dicates as the semester moves on. The only times you'll be there late is on your dissection days. The labs go until 5 or 6 (I can't remember which, and most groups are done earlier, except on particularly difficult labs, in which case you might be there right up until, or even a bit after. But if you have an outside obligation, such as picking up your kiddo, I don't think your lab group is going to mind if you leave a bit early on those rare days.

Most people that ended up being homeschoolers such as myself started doing so starting the second semester of MS1 simply due to anatomy lab, anatomy lectures w/ bonus points, etc. After that, you're pretty much only actually required to be at the lecture hall maybe an average of a few hours a week.

I agree with you 100%, unfortunately for me I probably will not have a steady daycare until second semester (when I won't need it as much as I will during the first...argh) My initial plans fell through and with waiting lists and all I don't think I will get into a daycare that I'm comfortable with until January. I homeschooled all through undergrad, even though that wasn't really supposed to be an option. I know that med school will be different, but it's looking like I'm not going to have much of a choice at least for the first semester. I've got a relative that can take over in the afternoons, so lab won't be a problem. So anyway I'm trying to see if I can't figure out which mornings I will have to figure something else out. Again all your info is much appreciated!

I just have to get us off of the second page so I'll ask a somewhat stupid question.
I'm getting ready to buy school supplies for my kiddo's and I was wondering what I need to get for myself. Anything other than the usual?
Also, the computer spec sheet says that we need windows XP professional as our OS. Is this really required? It's an extra $200.00. I think I'm going to get a gateway tablet. They have a pretty good deal on one at best buy. Anyone heard anything good/bad about gateway computers? I've never had one.
Won't be long now.... :eek:

RachelD said:
I just have to get us off of the second page so I'll ask a somewhat stupid question.
I'm getting ready to buy school supplies for my kiddo's and I was wondering what I need to get for myself. Anything other than the usual?
Also, the computer spec sheet says that we need windows XP professional as our OS. Is this really required? It's an extra $200.00. I think I'm going to get a gateway tablet. They have a pretty good deal on one at best buy. Anyone heard anything good/bad about gateway computers? I've never had one.
Won't be long now.... :eek:

hey rachel. I had a gateway and I was pretty good to me. My only complaint was the battery life (only about 2.5 or 3 hours). It wasn't too much of a concern though, because I usually had an outlet around. As for XP pro, I think the main difference between that and Windows XP Home is that you'll get Microsoft Office with it (you know, Word, Powerpoint, Excel...) instead of a 60 day trial version of Word. If you know someone with a copy of Word, dont waste the 200 bucks, even though it is illegal to bootleg ;)

FYI: I havent been on the boards for awhile. Ill introduce myself. I am Tam Nguyen, an MSII at OUCOM. If any of you MSI's have any questions about ANYTHING, feel free to ask. Of course I'm sure my fellow modmates who are on here (shoutout to Mod 132!!! the best one of course) Amxcvbcv and lfesiam, will be able to help too. Good luck to you guys. See you in August.

ad_sharp said:
Yeah, you should be getting a guide, but it won't be published. It'll probably be a word file. My advice:

I can probably keep going, but that should be enough for the time being. Enjoy your summer and don't let the second year beat you down. Good luck :luck:

I wish you would keep going! Thanks for the good info!

The difference between XP home and XP pro is the ability to be joined to a domain controller. Also there are some extra security issues (EFS, Power User control, etc.). Some of these things are very important in a business setting, but I highly doubt it is important for what we will be using our computers for.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article10-002

You can get complete Office setups on computers without pro, just have to pay extra. Not all XP pro computers have office either, but many do (this depends on the choice of the original equipment manufacturer). There is also the pirate way, but that is illegal and wrong. Just remember how much money Bill Gates gives to poor people in Africa. ;)

Don't overlook OUHSC's IT department if you're looking to upgrade your OS or software. You can get XP Professional and Office Professional for $78 each (I think that's what I paid last year.)

Give them a call at 271-8664 to get the current prices, if you're interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let you guys/gals know that another good friend of mine just scored a 250 on his boards.

RachealD-I've only got the regular windows xp with office. I've never had any trouble.

Just for s**ts and giggles, I called up the admissions office yesterday and they said there were 39 people that have been taken off the waitlist. Just thought I'd let ya'll know, if there is still anyone on here that is waiting.

I'm sending this message from my new cheapo desktop. I decided to get a backup for my laptop and it's a good thing, my I have to send it in again!

Count me in for the BLS class on the 27th. RachelD - didn't you mention you would be there a couple of pages back? Anyone else?

And if anyone would be willing to handle another attendance question (last one I promise. Okay, maybe I shouldn't promise there is still three weeks left I'm sure I can come up with something else), what about clinical correlations and what is IMPS? I see the PBL sessions on the schedule but I don't see anything about this.

Smitty- I'll see you on the 27th.

Also, The uniform shop (10503 N. May). Is having a pretty good sale (Till sun) on scrubs and lab coats. I got scrub sets for 15.99 and a nice landau lab coat for 24.75. Too bad we can't buy this stuff at a resale store or something! It's going to get so "gross"!

I'm sure this has been touched on some already, but what is appropriate attire for class. Anyone going to be in the Aug. 1st BLS class?

TUHopeful said:
I'm sure this has been touched on some already, but what is appropriate attire for class. Anyone going to be in the Aug. 1st BLS class?

What about orientation activities? A girl's gotta know what to wear!

I know this may sound like blasphemy, and I'm certain my perspective will change later, but is anyone else just ready to get started? Sort of feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone right now.

I am so ready to start... my doctor (also distant cousin) laughed at me the other day. Something along the lines that he was glad he didn't have to do it again. "You'll want to be shot in a few months."

TUHopeful said:
I know this may sound like blasphemy, and I'm certain my perspective will change later, but is anyone else just ready to get started? Sort of feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone right now.
Absolutely. I feel like I'm no longer living in my old life, but I'm not quite part of the new one yet - definitely the Twilight Zone. I had a surprise party thrown for me by friends (which was cool - I'd never had one of those before), I've had old friends taking me to lunch - and the hospital put out an e-mail to all 7,000 employees that my going-away party is next week. All of which is tremendously cool - I'm honored and very humbled - but the fun of having it be "all about me" has already worn off. I'm not sleeping and my back is locking-up from nerves- which is dandy timing, because I have to move furniture to OKC on Saturday. By the time White Coat is over, the idea of doing nothing but studying in a quiet house is going to seem very appealing.

I'm also completely burned-out on handling details - anybody else? Utility deposits, utility turn-ons, loans, leases, resignations, termination pay, immunizations, insurance - it just goes on and on and on. I wish I hadn't been so cheap and had taken a couple of extra weeks off work.

Like everybody else, I hope to maintain the excitement that I felt just a few weeks ago - but, truth is, I also feel a little overwhelmed. :oops:

Attire for class - shorts and t-shirts, etc. is fine as long as it's not a clinical correlation.

Attire for orientation - shirt and tie or suit for the guys and the equivalent business attire for women.

Attire for the disorientation with the MS2s on August 8th - again, shorts and t-shirts is fine.

Smitty3L said:
I'm sending this message from my new cheapo desktop. I decided to get a backup for my laptop and it's a good thing, my I have to send it in again!

Count me in for the BLS class on the 27th. RachelD - didn't you mention you would be there a couple of pages back? Anyone else?

And if anyone would be willing to handle another attendance question (last one I promise. Okay, maybe I shouldn't promise there is still three weeks left I'm sure I can come up with something else), what about clinical correlations and what is IMPS? I see the PBL sessions on the schedule but I don't see anything about this.

Attendance is required at IMPS (Integrated Medical Problem Solving), and while not explicitely required for the clinical correlations, it doesn't look good when a guest lecturing physician addresses a 1/3 or less filled lecture hall. Besides, some of the clinical correlations are actually very cool, since you get a real world perspective on what you've been studying so hard to learn.

TUHopeful said:

Me, three. I'll also add that I'd rather start class than pack and move, which will be my focus for the next week. I too am feeling overwhelmed will all the details about moving, insurance, money. Honestly, I think I'd rather worry about studying.

So we need to dress up for all of orientation or just for the White Coat thing?

exlawgrrl said:
So we need to dress up for all of orientation or just for the White Coat thing?
Unfortunately, you have to do it for all of orientation (although you better not dress up for disorientation or we will laugh at you and probably throw rocks at you or something). One of the days you will have the luncheon with the cadaver families, and one of the days you will get your ID pictures taken, and one of the days you will still have to dress up even though there is no apparent reason for it. Blah... I hate dressing up

Antigunner said:
Unfortunately, you have to do it for all of orientation (although you better not dress up for disorientation or we will laugh at you and probably throw rocks at you or something). One of the days you will have the luncheon with the cadaver families, and one of the days you will get your ID pictures taken, and one of the days you will still have to dress up even though there is no apparent reason for it. Blah... I hate dressing up

That stinks. I too hate dressing up! So, umm, are open-toed shoes okay since I'm guessing it's going to be like 100 degrees? Okay, I'll be sure not to dress up for the disorientation. :)

So I went Monday to get a bunch more shots...hoping to wrap em up this week. Waited 3 hrs at the cleveland county health dept...around 4:30 this RN is gives me 3 shots: MMR, HepB, Tet....
Then points at my list (where I had said the chickenpox thing was all I had left to do) and she says "BTW, you'll have to get this shot TODAY since the MMR and pox both use live viruses...or wait 30 days"

I was like .... WHAT?!!!? It's almost 5pm...did ya just NOW remember this detail? haha

Sooooooooooo I am gonna have to figure out what to do on the pox vacc....I still need a couple of those secondary shots also.

Got my $500 emergency beer money though !! ;)

I hope I have three days worth of dressy clothes that I can still fit into. I'm in a little bit of denial about my baby weight and I REALLY don't want to buy anything in a bigger size. Better go rummage through the closet and see what I can do. You guys will be able to spot me a mile away, I'll be the girl in skin tight pants toting the breastpump.

Okay, I don't think I ever post anything that doesn't have something to do with a baby. My worst nightmare has come true. I'm ready to start school so that something else can rule my life for a little while!

JohnnyOU said:
Sooooooooooo I am gonna have to figure out what to do on the pox vacc....I still need a couple of those secondary shots also.
At your age, you never had varicella? I thought varicella vaccine was a recent invention. You must have spent your childhood in very healthy places! After tearing the house apart, I finally found my childhood records - I had chicken pox in 1962 when I was less than a year old (which explains why I titered positive to it two weeks ago, I guess). At least since I have my childhood shot records now, I only have to get one Td booster. I was explaining to Employee Health that I had to have two of 'em a month apart since I couldn't find my childhood records - they were refusing to do a second shot that soon unless I could find a doc to vouch that it was safe. None of the docs I talked to had a clue.

It was kinda depressing xeroxing my elementary school immunization record card for OU, though - it's yellow with age. :(

won't be here on the 8th (will be backpacking europe), i guess i'll have to say hi to you MS1 at the next bar tour.

take care and good luck, feel free to ask us any questions.

lfesiam said:
won't be here on the 8th (will be backpacking europe), i guess i'll have to say hi to you MS1 at the next bar tour.

Yeah, I would definitely get something exciting done before school starts back up since the rest of your summer was such a snooze.

lfesiam said:

pre-orientation without the tank....what are we to do?

DMBFan61 said:
pre-orientation without the tank....what are we to do?

gvibe, no worries, i've got titty and reed-O as my back up. You guys show the single young MS1s how to have fun.

tank will come out of retirement soon. (until then....sweet sweet amsterdam...i'll get you the plastic blow up french maid doll that you wanted)

lfesiam said:
gvibe, no worries, i've got titty and reed-O as my back up. You guys show the single young MS1s how to have fun.

tank will come out of retirement soon. (until then....sweet sweet amsterdam...i'll get you the plastic blow up french maid doll that you wanted)

I'm almost ashamed to admit I know what the hell you're talking about... :eek:

So it's been 100+ degrees here in Portland the last few days. Is this a preview of things to come in OKC? Did I mention that I hate hot weather. :eek:

Also, does anybody have T-mobile? Do you get good coverage in OKC?

TUHopeful said:

I know exactly what you mean. I am really lookinf forward to school starting. I know it is going to be hard and all that other negative crap that people keep saying. But, I am up for the challenge. Yay! I found another person that is "type A" or type A- lol!!

exlawgrrl said:
So it's been 100+ degrees here in Portland the last few days. Is this a preview of things to come in OKC? Did I mention that I hate hot weather. :eek:

Also, does anybody have T-mobile? Do you get good coverage in OKC?

OK is currently experiencing a record number of days with highs above 100 degrees. So yes it is hot here. Sometimes I can't even bare to go outside. But, we experienced a "cold front" this weekend. It only got up to 90 degrees on Saturday. The idea that 90 degrees is a cold front is total B.S.

As far as T mobile. I always say that the T in T-mobile stands for Terrible. My friends that I know that have T-mobile said they had a lot of problems with reception, but if you just stay our in the open and not use your phone indoors you should be just fine.

DivaDoc12 said:
OK is currently experiencing a record number of days with highs above 100 degrees. So yes it is hot here. Sometimes I can't even bare to go outside. But, we experienced a "cold front" this weekend. It only got up to 90 degrees on Saturday. The idea that 90 degrees is a cold front is total B.S.

As far as T mobile. I always say that the T in T-mobile stands for Terrible. My friends that I know that have T-mobile said they had a lot of problems with reception, but if you just stay our in the open and not use your phone indoors you should be just fine.

That reminds me of Texas. It was notably cooler in September when the temps dropped to 90 or so. :)

Who does have good cell service there? Cingular, maybe? Luckily, we don't have a contract. We haven't had a landline in years and use cell phones as our only phone, so it's pretty critical that we get good reception inside.

exlawgrrl said:
That reminds me of Texas. It was notably cooler in September when the temps dropped to 90 or so. :)

Who does have good cell service there? Cingular, maybe? Luckily, we don't have a contract. We haven't had a landline in years and use cell phones as our only phone, so it's pretty critical that we get good reception inside.

Cingular is good. Alot of people have Sprint also.

exlawgrrl said:

I have cingular, my husband has sprint and he has a lot more droped calls than I do. I've been happy with my cingular service.

I use a pre-paid Cingular phone now and had a regular subscription before. Their coverage in Oklahoma, and the metro area in particular, is quite good.

I'd like to take the opportunity right now to tell you folks to please, please turn off your cell phones when you're in the lecture halls. All of the seats are set up with microphones, and the transmissions from cell phones cause very irritating distortions on the speaker systems that the professors use. It's bad enough to hear it if you're there for lectures, and even worse to hear it over and over if you're listening to mp3s of lectures. There are signs posted outside the lecture halls reminding everyone to turn off cell phones, but it seems like there is always someone who ignores or doesn't see them.

As you can probably tell, it's a pet peeve of mine. ;)

We don't have a landline either - we use Cingular and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Having your minutes rollover is also nice

Cingular can bite me.
I signed up online with them two weeks ago. Bought the phone online at the same time with their package deal. Was supposed to arrive within 48 hrs. They delivered it to the wrong apartment, same building, left it at the door cuz no one lived at the apt they dropped it at. Phone gets stolen obviously. I end up calling cingular every day for almost two weeks while I get all these excuses about have they have to do an official report and wait for another official claim to process with fedex...blah blah blah.

They wouldn't let me go to my local cingular dealer and just buy a new phone for some ******ed reason. Worst customer service ever.

Finally arrives two weeks after I ordered it.

exlawgrrl said:
That stinks. I too hate dressing up! So, umm, are open-toed shoes okay since I'm guessing it's going to be like 100 degrees? Okay, I'll be sure not to dress up for the disorientation. :)

I'm back from the honeymoon, and just spent quite awhile catching up on posts! I didn't see a reply to this, so just to let you know open toed shoes are okay. Flip-flops are probably frowned upon, BUT it's not like there's a shoe inspector. As I recall, for orientation, "dress up" pretty much meant no jeans. They say shirt and tie for guys, but I remember that a lot of guys didn't wear ties. Girls wore skirts, dresses, and non-denim pants with (mostly) non-slutty tops. I remember that we had lunch outside a day or two, and that pantyhose would have been murder, so I'd advise against that. Good luck guys! It's getting clooooooose :)

So glad to hear that open-toe is okay!

WhoIs -Congratulations, how does it feel to be officially tied down? I think it took a good month or two for me to get used to the idea, it's a whole new world.

what are the avg GPA/ MCAT for oklahoma.

appreciate the help

Got the new mailing from OU. I'm in mod 214. Anyone else?

The moment that I knew that I would be accepted into the OU-COM class of 2010 happened on my interview day. I was sitting chatting with some of the other applicants when as I glanced around the room I saw a familiar face. Ms. B. Itchy was a former co-worker of mine. Needless to say, not one that I cared too much for. It was at that moment that I knew Ms. Itchy and I would both be accepted, and be placed into the same mod. Lo and behold, the list of mod assignments that arrived in my mailbox today confirmed my suspicion.

I decided to post this thought under a different username in case Ms. Itchy happens to post here, and would know who I was under my usual handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.