Ohio State c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So this is more a question for current tOSU first years & beyond, but I know a few are lurking - how does the iPad thing work? I watched the virtual tour on the website, so if I'm understanding correctly, virtually everything in class & for exams is done on our personal iPads, right? Do folks generally take notes on laptops or handwritten or on their iPads? Can we use laptops of some kind if we prefer, and do we need specific laptop types for anything on campus? My Macbook Air is doing okay, but it's low on hard drive space, and I'm debating about how soon to replace it. It seems like we definitely need iPads, so I'll be replacing my utterly ancient one as well (I honestly think its 10+ years old).

Where did you see the virtual tour at?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so very impressed with the longevity of your mac air...mine always suffer a premature drowning, ALWAYS. One of them was drowned before I pay off the 12-months payment plan:sick:
I mean, the Macbook is only about 5 years old, but I tend to run my electronics into the ground, so YMMV on how slow a processor you can handle :rofl: . But oh good god, the iPad, the iPad hasn't taken less than 3 hours at a time to update in about 2 years, I keep it to watch slow-loading television while taking bubble baths (and I usually just lose patience with it before it even loads). DEFINITELY going to get a newer one, was probably going to invest in that before vet school anyway!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students have apartment suggestions that are reasonable priced, pet friendly? Somewhere you enjoy living for current students?

Reactions: 2 users
So this is more a question for current tOSU first years & beyond, but I know a few are lurking - how does the iPad thing work? I watched the virtual tour on the website, so if I'm understanding correctly, virtually everything in class & for exams is done on our personal iPads, right? Do folks generally take notes on laptops or handwritten or on their iPads? Can we use laptops of some kind if we prefer, and do we need specific laptop types for anything on campus? My Macbook Air is doing okay, but it's low on hard drive space, and I'm debating about how soon to replace it. It seems like we definitely need iPads, so I'll be replacing my utterly ancient one as well (I honestly think its 10+ years old).
Hey! So the school uses an app to administer exams on (hence the iPad). We get an email when it's ready to download usually days in advanced to mitigate technical issues. We download it via the app and they give us a password to open it during the exam time. We have support staff available during these exams (online or in person) to assist with technical issues.

For note taking, entirely up to you! For myself, I personally do all typing on my laptop and use it to stream online videos/lectures. My Macbook is newer than yours but on the older side. For note taking, I use Notability to create notes or to write directly on the lecture PDFs. Most students use Notability but others use OneNote or other note taking apps. During orientation there is a session on the iPad and how to get the most out of it and the different apps you need for school, including the one we take exams on.

Some students use their iPads for everything, others also take handwritten notes on the side, others type-depends what your preference is!

Reactions: 1 user
Any IS students planning on declining offers/already declined offers?

How do you create your Buckeye email? The acceptance email said OIT would send us instructions, but I did not receive this email. I have not yet accepted my offer, but it seems others have not yet paid fees but still are receiving emails via their buckeye email. Did the scholarship emails go to personal or buckeye emails only? Thanks!

How do you create your Buckeye email? The acceptance email said OIT would send us instructions, but I did not receive this email. I have not yet accepted my offer, but it seems others have not yet paid fees but still are receiving emails via their buckeye email. Did the scholarship emails go to personal or buckeye emails only? Thanks!
I received the scholarship offer on my personal email. I still haven't gotten anything from OIT so I still don't have a buckeye email

Reactions: 1 users
Just a side note - for anyone that declines their seat, if it’s due to the online format please let the school know this when you decline your seat! A lot of current students are fighting to return to in person classes and labs, and we’ve had some requests that those declining a seat let the school know if it pertains to curriculum format.

Hey! So the school uses an app to administer exams on (hence the iPad). We get an email when it's ready to download usually days in advanced to mitigate technical issues. We download it via the app and they give us a password to open it during the exam time. We have support staff available during these exams (online or in person) to assist with technical issues.

For note taking, entirely up to you! For myself, I personally do all typing on my laptop and use it to stream online videos/lectures. My Macbook is newer than yours but on the older side. For note taking, I use Notability to create notes or to write directly on the lecture PDFs. Most students use Notability but others use OneNote or other note taking apps. During orientation there is a session on the iPad and how to get the most out of it and the different apps you need for school, including the one we take exams on.

Some students use their iPads for everything, others also take handwritten notes on the side, others type-depends what your preference is!
Thank you for the insight, that’s all very helpful! Another notes-related question - is there any sort of printing allowance for students, or are we on our own? And when you say “class notes”, are these provided by professors or older students (like a test box) or are these notes we pre-generate ourselves before class?

Thank you for the insight, that’s all very helpful! Another notes-related question - is there any sort of printing allowance for students, or are we on our own? And when you say “class notes”, are these provided by professors or older students (like a test box) or are these notes we pre-generate ourselves before class?
There’s no printing allowance that I’m aware of - that’s a pretty much on your own thing. We’re provided slides/PDFs/notes from the professor, which we download (I use notability on my iPad). Then you can highlight or annotate or do whatever you want with them while you listen to the lecture!

I don’t think you can create it until you’ve submitted your deposit!

You’ll definitely want to download all of the powerpoints on your iPad, if you print powerpoints out you will have an unmanageable amount of papers. I personally write on the powerpoints with the Apple Pencil during lectures and then type out study guides for tests. I used to handwrite all of my study guides in undergrad... that became unmanageable quickly lol. Notability is the bessst I love it!

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s no printing allowance that I’m aware of - that’s a pretty much on your own thing. We’re provided slides/PDFs/notes from the professor, which we download (I use notability on my iPad). Then you can highlight or annotate or do whatever you want with them while you listen to the lecture!
Awesome, thank you so much, that's what I was hoping for!

You’ll definitely want to download all of the powerpoints on your iPad, if you print powerpoints out you will have an unmanageable amount of papers. I personally write on the powerpoints with the Apple Pencil during lectures and then type out study guides for tests. I used to handwrite all of my study guides in undergrad... that became unmanageable quickly lol. Notability is the bessst I love it!
Gotcha, thank you so much! Yeah, that makes quite a bit of sense since we'll already have to have iPads - I've gotten very used to annotating/notetaking on my Powerpoints now in undergrad, so I'm assuming it will be similarly helpful later on. I tried using Notability & didn't find it all that intuitive, but it was also on an older iPad and I was trying to use it to record lecture audio, so I think it would be worth it to give it another shot. Thank you for the advice!

Anyone know the best way to check out campus right now? I have never been to Columbus and know bothing about what its like and I really need to know what I’m in for before I accept my seat! I am used to city life (Philly) and like it because there’s so much to do. If any locals or current students want to fill me in on what it’s like there I would love some info!

Does anyone know how hands on the curriculum is, or is it mainly just sitting in lectures based until your fourth year?

Does anyone know when orientation is and when classes start?

Anyone know the best way to check out campus right now? I have never been to Columbus and know bothing about what its like and I really need to know what I’m in for before I accept my seat! I am used to city life (Philly) and like it because there’s so much to do. If any locals or current students want to fill me in on what it’s like there I would love some info!
Hey, depends on your interests but Columbus is a city that is still growing and the downtown area is basically OSU and a few other streets that have restaurants, business buildings, and sports stadiums like Hockey, Baseball (not MLB) and soccer. Outside of downtown area there is not much to do other than going to Easton (the biggest/fanciest mall), metro parks, movie theaters, normal stuff that you find anywhere. Moving here was definitely an adjustment for me because where I come from there is always something to do and here for me is not always the case but I got used to it and enjoy Columbus now. It all depends on your hobbies and interests too! Hope this helps!

Hey, depends on your interests but Columbus is a city that is still growing and the downtown area is basically OSU and a few other streets that have restaurants, business buildings, and sports stadiums like Hockey, Baseball (not MLB) and soccer. Outside of downtown area there is not much to do other than going to Easton (the biggest/fanciest mall), metro parks, movie theaters, normal stuff that you find anywhere. Moving here was definitely an adjustment for me because where I come from there is always something to do and here for me is not always the case but I got used to it and enjoy Columbus now. It all depends on your hobbies and interests too! Hope this helps!
This is helpful! Are there any activity sort of things -- like ice rinks that offer open hockey or at least open skate, rock climbing gyms, etc? I'm from the Buffalo, NY area so I'm used to a smaller city, but I'm definitely an active person. also as an amateur just-for-fun guitarist, I'm wondering what the local music scene is like, and if there are there breweries, good coffee shops etc? any theatre? though i'm asking these things fully aware that i will probably have very little spare time to indulge these hobbies 😅

This is great! Any good hiking in the area? I have two dogs to exercise.! Hoping I can snag a house with a yard when I move out there by campus!

This is helpful! Are there any activity sort of things -- like ice rinks that offer open hockey or at least open skate, rock climbing gyms, etc? I'm from the Buffalo, NY area so I'm used to a smaller city, but I'm definitely an active person. also as an amateur just-for-fun guitarist, I'm wondering what the local music scene is like, and if there are there breweries, good coffee shops etc? any theatre? though i'm asking these things fully aware that i will probably have very little spare time to indulge these hobbies 😅
I sort of disagree with the person that said there’s not much to do outside of downtown and campus. Yeah Columbus isn’t Chicago or NYC, but there’s LOADS to do throughout the area. Several people I know were regulars at a rock climbing gym, usually the OSU hockey rink has open skate days, and there’s loads of metroparks for hiking/casual walking within a 30 minute radius. For a little further out, there’s Hocking Hills and a few other parks. Several concert venues, ranging from small (The Basement) to arenas. I can think of like 5 venues I would go to on a semi-regular basis. Breweries - oh hell yes. Land Grant is my personal fave, but check out Columbus Ale Trail for an extensive list. Coffee isn’t my thing, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Fox in the Snow. But I know there’s several other great places, that just wasn’t my scene. There’s two main theaters that regularly had traveling Broadway shows. There’s a couple good museums, a conservatory, the zoo, North Market, Book Loft. And omg don’t get me started on restaurants. There’s so many that you could eat at a new one once a week and never run out before graduating. A couple times a year, there’s Restaurant Week and that’s a good way to try places for a cheaper price. Check out DTix website through OSU, they always have cheaper tickets and lotteries for events. I could go on about everything there is to do in Columbus haha

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I sort of disagree with the person that said there’s not much to do outside of downtown and campus. Yeah Columbus isn’t Chicago or NYC, but there’s LOADS to do throughout the area. Several people I know were regulars at a rock climbing gym, usually the OSU hockey rink has open skate days, and there’s loads of metroparks for hiking/casual walking within a 30 minute radius. For a little further out, there’s Hocking Hills and a few other parks. Several concert venues, ranging from small (The Basement) to arenas. I can think of like 5 venues I would go to on a semi-regular basis. Breweries - oh hell yes. Land Grant is my personal fave, but check out Columbus Ale Trail for an extensive list. Coffee isn’t my thing, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Fox in the Snow. But I know there’s several other great places, that just wasn’t my scene. There’s two main theaters that regularly had traveling Broadway shows. There’s a couple good museums, a conservatory, the zoo, North Market, Book Loft. And omg don’t get me started on restaurants. There’s so many that you could eat at a new one once a week and never run out before graduating. A couple times a year, there’s Restaurant Week and that’s a good way to try places for a cheaper price. Check out DTix website through OSU, they always have cheaper tickets and lotteries for events. I could go on about everything there is to do in Columbus haha
I agree that there are lots of things to do. But I was comparing it to other cities in the US that are much bigger. Hocking Hills is not in Columbus, if we were to talk about things driving distance to Columbus for road trips then there is also a lot of places to visit. There is definitely lots of things to do for outdoor people, hiking trails, like they mentioned OSU has hockey and rock climbing but to my understanding right now it’s closed due to covid.

I would also like to echo this! over the summer there are a lot of art fairs, music festivals w/ local musicians, and coffee/beer/ ice cream "crawls" you can go on that are downtown or in local areas (victorian village, German town, franklinton etc). My fiancé is particularly interested in LEGOland while I will (hopefully) be dragging him to Otherworld if it is still open! Franklin Park Conservatory is gorgeous (i want to get married there) and North's Market is a great way to support local business.

For those who are current students or have spent time there, how do you all feel being on such a huge campus? Are you able to find a place in the anonymity? I went to a TINY liberal arts college and small programs within larger universities for all of my schooling thus far, and I’m a little concerned about getting lost in the crowd on such a big & lively campus. Do the vet students kinda stick together?

Anyone else just get a personal phone call from Dean Moore?

For those who are current students or have spent time there, how do you all feel being on such a huge campus? Are you able to find a place in the anonymity? I went to a TINY liberal arts college and small programs within larger universities for all of my schooling thus far, and I’m a little concerned about getting lost in the crowd on such a big & lively campus. Do the vet students kinda stick together?
The vet school is kind of separate from main campus, so you really won’t be on the “main” campus for anything unless you just want to go walk around:) And yes, you will get close with other vet students in your class and pretty much spend all your time with your classmates/lab mates! I hope that helps! I came from a much smaller university myself, and was a little nervous about how big OSU was but the vet school is kind of it’s own little world in my opinion!

What was this call about?

He just called to check in and see if I had any questions.

I did! It went to voicemail though because I wasn’t near my phone! im not sure if i should call back and what I should say! 😂

Yeah I really wasn't expecting a call from the Dean at 9:00 PM on a Saturday night hahah. He was super nice though. He was just checking in and asked if I had any questions for him.

Hey guys, since the official fb group won't be made until early summer, I created an UNOFFICIAL facebook group so that those who have already accepted their offer can start connecting and looking for potential roommates, ask questions, become friends, etc. PLEASE only join if you have already accepted your seat. So excited to meet you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know the deadline for submitting final transcript to tOSU?

Does anyone know the deadline for submitting final transcript to tOSU?
I'm not sure officially, but I think it might depend on if you need a summer class. Mine is due as soon as the grade from the class I need is posted, which would be late July at minimum.

Does anyone know if the veterinary school follows the undergraduate academic calendar? Like are the breaks and exams the same time?

I wasn't an OSU undergrad, but I'm an Ohio resident and I've visited, the vet school is across the river from main campus and is pretty isolated from main campus. It's still downtown and in the middle of everything though. We'll spend so much time together anyways that we'll find our place in our own world.

Any current students know of people who own reptiles/where they tend to live?

Where are the areas that students live off campus? Looking for houses rather than apartment complex.

has anyone heard of the lennox flats apartments?
I’ve been told they are expensive for what they offer but they are a great close location. I’ve been told people live at runaway bay/grandview area/ upper Arlington area

Any current students have any iPad suggestions? When is the best time to buy, best model, best accessories?

Any current students have any iPad suggestions? When is the best time to buy, best model, best accessories?
For the iPad, depends. Some people have the Air because its lighter/smaller in size, but personally I have a Pro. Although it's bigger, it holds a lot of storage, has a large screen and good battery life. I recommended maybe going to an Apple store and checking some out in person to get a feel for what will work best for you. Get a lot of storage on whatever version you choose.

For accessories, Apple pencil and keyboard for sure. Most people bought keyboards off of Amazon since the Apple keyboard can be finicky. Make sure whatever Apple pencil you get goes with your iPad since there are different types!

Over the summer there are usually back to school deals. I remember when I bought mine it was discounted and I got a free pair of headphones with it :)

How long after accepting your seat do they send a link to make a buckeye email? Do they send anything at all with the next steps to take after accepting your seat?

Can any current students weigh in? I'm wondering if I should get 256 or 512 GB of storage for my iPad

Can any current students weigh in? I'm wondering if I should get 256 or 512 GB of storage for my iPad
256 would be plenty for school stuff. I have half that space and four years worth of vet school on my iPad and still have 72 GB left lol

Has anyone heard anything about when we would hear back in regards to financial aid?