Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We finally snagged a place today in society hill! I'm so excited to start and to see you all in August!

When is everyone planning to move in?

Members don't see this ad.

Weezerfan1983 said:
We finally snagged a place today in society hill! I'm so excited to start and to see you all in August!

well hello there. welcome to the forums...

Blue Scrub said:
Has anyone else had trouble getting into the SDN forums the past few days? This is the first time I've been able to get on since Friday....just me or the SDN server? Anyway, I got confused as to who was wearing what so I wasnt sure who anybody was, but I was wearing pin stripe black pants with a light kinda turquoise colored button down shirt, and if you were at the housing info session in the morning, I asked about where good places there were to study in Hoboken if anyone remembers!

I remember you..... :thumbup:

Okay, I was a member on the panel. Society hill girl seating way right...came in late to join the panel.

Members don't see this ad :)
BushBaby said:
I remember you..... :thumbup:

Okay, I was a member on the panel. Society hill girl seating way right...came in late to join the panel.

Hehe cool, were you the one that wasn't all that excited about living in Newark and Society Hill?

thehomez,
Where in Bloomfield? I also live there with another NJMS student.

thehomez66 said:
From what I heard and saw at Housing Day, I would say that a handful of people are planning to live in Hoboken, a handful in the nearby towns, a few in Forest Hills, and a pretty decent amount in Society Hill.

My roomates and I though decided on going to a realitor after months of looking on our own in both SH and nearby towns and we just signed on a nice house in Bloomfield. So it seems that everybody is just doing whatever they feel most comfortable with.

Dumpling said:
thehomez,
Where in Bloomfield? I also live there with another NJMS student.

We're right on Broad St. between Bay Ave and Watchung, 800 Broad to be exact. What about you? And how do you like living in Bloomfield? It seems pretty nice and my roomates and I are pretty happy to have signed on a house there. Also, whats the quickest way to UMDNJ from Broad St and how bad is the traffic during the commute? I heard that the Parkway is the fastest and safest.

thehomez66 said:
We're right on Broad St. between Bay Ave and Watchung, 800 Broad to be exact. What about you? And how do you like living in Bloomfield? It seems pretty nice and my roomates and I are pretty happy to have signed on a house there. Also, whats the quickest way to UMDNJ from Broad St and how bad is the traffic during the commute? I heard that the Parkway is the fastest and safest.

I love living in Bloomfield. My place is in a nice area, and I like the idea of having my home away from school. I usually take the parkway because my place is almost directly off exit 148 (I live on Montgomery St, which is a continuation of Municipal Plaza, where the post office and fire dept are). There is also a road that runs parallel to the Parkway called Oraton parkway that I use when the traffic gets bad on the Parkway. Traffic can be pretty bad when you're trying to make it to a 9am class. Other than that, it's usually ok.

Weezerfan1983 said:

What's up? :)

To the M2s reading this, did you buy PDAs and what kind? Do we need them? I'm planning on not buying anything until orientation at least, but I was just curious.

UDbiochem said:

To the M2s reading this, did you buy PDAs and what kind? Do we need them? I'm planning on not buying anything until orientation at least, but I was just curious.
i just bought a PDA :D HP Ipaq ...its awesome..the only way someone can access it is through my fingerprint :cool: its hot stuff...but mad expensive..

UDbiochem said:

Well I'm not an M2 yet but from what I've heard from the ones I've talked to, they arent really necessary...the M2s giving the tour last Friday both didnt find them to be that useful..but they said those that have them like them and find them useful...I think some like them and some dont so its pretty much up to you if you want one....my bro actually just gave me a palm that he bought but never used, so Im gonna play around with it and hopefully it will be somewhat useful during school

Dumpling said:
I love living in Bloomfield. My place is in a nice area, and I like the idea of having my home away from school. I usually take the parkway because my place is almost directly off exit 148 (I live on Montgomery St, which is a continuation of Municipal Plaza, where the post office and fire dept are). There is also a road that runs parallel to the Parkway called Oraton parkway that I use when the traffic gets bad on the Parkway. Traffic can be pretty bad when you're trying to make it to a 9am class. Other than that, it's usually ok.

Awesome, I"m really looking forward to living there and thanks for your insight :thumbup:

UDbiochem said:

To rehash what some have said--they tell you it's required, specifically for your Preceptorship where you're supposed to be entering patient encounters as they happen on your PDA. But you don't really need to since you can write down what you saw on an index card and manually enter it into the database later. The course administrators say that they can differentiate between PDA entered logs and computer entered logs, but I don't know for sure.

I have one. I really, really want to use it for more than just entering data, but since I've never kept a calendar before in my life, I don't use the PDA for that. I put some addresses into it, but i don't reference it much. I use it most during Tuesday morning Core lectures to play solitaire. I tried to install a drug reference program (Epocrates), but it took over an hour and didn't work correctly. That to me is the most frustrating part because I can see the PDA being incredibly useful 3rd year and beyond for things like that and if they don't even install or work properly on the PDA, then what's the point?

DrOctopus said:
To rehash what some have said--they tell you it's required, specifically for your Preceptorship where you're supposed to be entering patient encounters as they happen on your PDA. But you don't really need to since you can write down what you saw on an index card and manually enter it into the database later. The course administrators say that they can differentiate between PDA entered logs and computer entered logs, but I don't know for sure.

I have one. I really, really want to use it for more than just entering data, but since I've never kept a calendar before in my life, I don't use the PDA for that. I put some addresses into it, but i don't reference it much. I use it most during Tuesday morning Core lectures to play solitaire. I tried to install a drug reference program (Epocrates), but it took over an hour and didn't work correctly. That to me is the most frustrating part because I can see the PDA being incredibly useful 3rd year and beyond for things like that and if they don't even install or work properly on the PDA, then what's the point?

epocrates works fine on mine....i downloaded the free one...

Members don't see this ad :)
DrOctopus said:

I did'nt know that you guys needed PDA's last year, but its cool they have you using them from the get go.....I think you can even get Kaplan q-bank question software for it, which should be nice for 2nd year (I wish I had it).

Most kids I know in my class are getting the Dell axim V50X (I think thats what its called?) for third year. I haven't gotten one yet but they are requiring it and are supposed to be having a seminar for our class on which one to buy.

I would recomend everyone getting one with as much memory/upgradeable potential as possible. The class of 2005, who just graduated all got PDA's for free at their white coat ceremony (from the alumni association...my class got a book:( ), but by the time thier third year came around they were too slow and outdated, and most people had to get new ones....

Also let me know if anyone is moving to Hoboken?

DrOctopus said:

I did'nt know that you guys needed PDA's last year, but its cool they have you using them from the get go.....I think you can even get Kaplan q-bank question software for it, which should be nice for 2nd year (I wish I had it).

Most kids I know in my class are getting the Dell axim V50X (I think thats what its called?) for third year. I haven't gotten one yet but they are requiring it and are supposed to be having a seminar for our class on which one to buy.

I would recomend everyone getting one with as much memory/upgradeable potential as possible. The class of 2005, who just graduated all got PDA's for free at their white coat ceremony (from the alumni association...my class got a book:( ), but by the time thier third year came around they were too slow and outdated, and most people had to get new ones....

Also let me know if anyone is moving to Hoboken?

DrOctopus said:

I agree - The PDA was great for solitaire to pass the time and even though i downloaded all these free programs, I realized i dont know enough about the drugs to utilize them fully so i just gave up (might as well wait for Pharm).

So even though I know its been mentioned that you dont NEED it, i'll go out on a limb and just state it plainly - DONT GET IT. save yourself the trouble and get one when u start 3rd year (at least then ur palm wont be outdated)

bump so u guys can move this to the new forum...

Drguy, you said that you have already purchased a PDA and I was wondering what your initial thoughts on it were? Also, why did you buy one even though it seems that we don't need one, is it because you've used one in the past or just because you wanted to test one out? And if it is the latter reason, are you happy you bought one and do you think you'll use it? Also is it annoying to carry around and such due to its size? And any added info or thoughts on PDA's would be good because I've been researching them and looking to buy one.

Also, Drguy, why did you decide to get the HP iPaq versus the Dell Axim v50 or the Palm Tungsten T5???

thehomez66 said:
Drguy, you said that you have already purchased a PDA and I was wondering what your initial thoughts on it were? Also, why did you buy one even though it seems that we don't need one, is it because you've used one in the past or just because you wanted to test one out? And if it is the latter reason, are you happy you bought one and do you think you'll use it? Also is it annoying to carry around and such due to its size? And any added info or thoughts on PDA's would be good because I've been researching them and looking to buy one.

Also, Drguy, why did you decide to get the HP iPaq versus the Dell Axim v50 or the Palm Tungsten T5???
never had a PDA b4....im very happy wit the one i bought at least rite now..hopefully it will last a long time...its pretty much the latest one rite now....i bought the Ipaq 2755. I bought this one cuz it had a fingerprint reader :cool: its a bit steep priced...540ish is what i paid after the rebate and taxes. I think ill use the PDA but who knows....my tour guide said they are useful...

drguy22 said:
never had a PDA b4....im very happy wit the one i bought at least rite now..hopefully it will last a long time...its pretty much the latest one rite now....i bought the Ipaq 2755. I bought this one cuz it had a fingerprint reader :cool: its a bit steep priced...540ish is what i paid after the rebate and taxes. I think ill use the PDA but who knows....my tour guide said they are useful...

thanks for the info, I'm going to be checking some out today and will probably end up getting one. Just have to make the effort to use it for the first few weeks then hopefully it will become a rountine thing. I think it might be a good idea to get so we can get used to using them for thirst year. Also, if worst comes to worst and it becomes highly outdated by our 3rd year, we can always just get another one right? We're going to be in debt, on average, about $125,000 so whats another $500 at that point for a PDA :rolleyes:

thehomez66 said:
thanks for the info, I'm going to be checking some out today and will probably end up getting one. Just have to make the effort to use it for the first few weeks then hopefully it will become a rountine thing. I think it might be a good idea to get so we can get used to using them for thirst year. Also, if worst comes to worst and it becomes highly outdated by our 3rd year, we can always just get another one right? We're going to be in debt, on average, about $125,000 so whats another $500 at that point for a PDA :rolleyes:

haha very tru...get a cool one with fingerprint reader... :cool:

Didnt Happy213 say that one of the previous classes got a pda for their white coat ceremony? What if we get one too, then you guys would have 2, it might be best to wait till after orientation.

vish57 said:
Didnt Happy213 say that one of the previous classes got a pda for their white coat ceremony? What if we get one too, then you guys would have 2, it might be best to wait till after orientation.

Yes, Happy213 did say that and I did think about this issue, but, the conclusion that I reached was that the PDA's they gave out during the white coat ceremony were probably low end ones in the $150-$250 range, whereas the one I was looking into are in the $350-$450 range. So, if we were given one during the ceremony, I would pretty much turn around and sell it, even though that would be an uncouth move.

Also, today I went out and checked out a few and from what I have seen and heard from the tech guys, the Pocket PC's seem to be slightly better than the PalmOne PDA's. This is because the Pocket PC's are based on the windows OS whereas the others are on a different, unfamiliar OS. Even though they said the Palm OS was easy to learn, the Pocket PC's have an advantage in that they are more compatable with your PC and user friendly in the sense that they work better with Word, Excell, and PP documents. Unless of course you are a MAC user who would then much rather prefer a PalmOne unit for its OS and compatability. Just my $0.02

thehomez66 said:
Yes, Happy213 did say that and I did think about this issue, but, the conclusion that I reached was that the PDA's they gave out during the white coat ceremony were probably low end ones in the $150-$250 range, whereas the one I was looking into are in the $350-$450 range. So, if we were given one during the ceremony, I would pretty much turn around and sell it, even though that would be an uncouth move.

Also, today I went out and checked out a few and from what I have seen and heard from the tech guys, the Pocket PC's seem to be slightly better than the PalmOne PDA's. This is because the Pocket PC's are based on the windows OS whereas the others are on a different, unfamiliar OS. Even though they said the Palm OS was easy to learn, the Pocket PC's have an advantage in that they are more compatable with your PC and user friendly in the sense that they work better with Word, Excell, and PP documents. Unless of course you are a MAC user who would then much rather prefer a PalmOne unit for its OS and compatability. Just my $0.02
get the HP iPAQ 2755

drguy22 said:
get the HP iPAQ 2755

Actually, I'm torn between that PDA, the HP iPAQ 2755 and the Dell Axim x50v, probably going to get one or the other, just can't decide yet :thumbup:

And one more question for you drguy, sorry but I can't find out info on this anywhere online. I was wondering if your PDA came with the software required to open PDF and Power Point files, I know that Pocket Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. are on there, but wasn't sure about the others, thanks again.

actually i downloaded adobe for Pocket PC's....so ya...but i dont think there is a powerpoint for PDA's but im lookin into it rite now...but adobe is available..its really cool...

i also downloaded epocrites....free drug database..its actually really cool...

get the iPAQ...lol

drguy22 said:
actually i downloaded adobe for Pocket PC's....so ya...but i dont think there is a powerpoint for PDA's but im lookin into it rite now...but adobe is available..its really cool...

i also downloaded epocrites....free drug database..its actually really cool...

get the iPAQ...lol

where did you get the PDF program?

And in regards to the power point program, I think that would be most useful to us given that the lectures are in PP format, but the program you are looking for which has both Pocket Power Point and Pocket Adobe Reader is called: Westtek ClearVue Suit

Also, are you guys planning on getting a laptop for school? If so what kind? I think they will also be very handy

thehomez66 said:
where did you get the PDF program?

And in regards to the power point program, I think that would be most useful to us given that the lectures are in PP format, but the program you are looking for which has both Pocket Power Point and Pocket Adobe Reader is called: Westtek ClearVue Suit

Also, are you guys planning on getting a laptop for school? If so what kind? I think they will also be very handy

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

just choose the correct platform....

the Westtek ClearVue is only $30..pretty cheap..

bout the laptops..i already have one...2GHZ...3 yrs old so i prolly wont buy a new one...

Did anyone get a notice saying they cant disburse your financial aid b/c you have to sign a promissory note? :mad:

Blue Scrub said:
Did anyone get a notice saying they cant disburse your financial aid b/c you have to sign a promissory note? :mad:

ya..i called em....and they said not to worry bout it.... :D

drguy22 said:
ya..i called em....and they said not to worry bout it.... :D

Nice, I'm guessing they will contact us about it, but I was wondering the same thing.

And Drguy, I just bought the hp2755 tonight, its great man, good recommendation :thumbup: O and about the PPT and PDF program, don't get it, you won't need it. In about 2 months Windows Mobile 5.0 will be released for about $30 and it will have the program built in as well as many other things. And if any of you are looking to buy a PDA, make sure you get one that supports the new OS, otherwise you'll be way behind in tech because the new OS is much much better than the current one.

thehomez66 said:
Nice, I'm guessing they will contact us about it, but I was wondering the same thing.

And Drguy, I just bought the hp2755 tonight, its great man, good recommendation :thumbup: O and about the PPT and PDF program, don't get it, you won't need it. In about 2 months Windows Mobile 5.0 will be released for about $30 and it will have the program built in as well as many other things. And if any of you are looking to buy a PDA, make sure you get one that supports the new OS, otherwise you'll be way behind in tech because the new OS is much much better than the current one.

u gotta love that fingerprint reader...lol

thnx...ill wait for WM 5.0....

o and about the financial aid stuff...i guess i should tell you more...lol...they said that the perkins loan MPN's wont be available till orientation or sometime around there, so there really isnt anything we can do and that the letter was misleading.

drguy22 said:
o and about the financial aid stuff...i guess i should tell you more...lol...they said that the perkins loan MPN's wont be available till orientation or sometime around there, so there really isnt anything we can do and that the letter was misleading.

Good to know!! Thanks drguy!

Can it be August yet??!! I'm sick of my job already.

UDbiochem said:
Good to know!! Thanks drguy!

Can it be August yet??!! I'm sick of my job already.

Yeah seriously...well I just need it to be Friday already, this is my last week of work, then I have a week to relax before I'm off to Europe for a month!! :D

Blue Scrub said:
Yeah seriously...well I just need it to be Friday already, this is my last week of work, then I have a week to relax before I'm off to Europe for a month!! :D

haha..id take the NIH over europe anyday...lol...crazy aint I :laugh:

Blue Scrub said:

I'm going to Europe soon as well, have a fun and safe trip :thumbup:

I just wanted to let all of you know that Dell.com is running a promotion today and TODAY ONLY (6-21-05), where you get $750 off of most of their dell laptops. My friend and I both purchased a sick laptop thats worth $1700 for $950. Just thought I'd post it up here because I know most of you are looking to get a new laptop.

Here is the link for the site: www.dell.com/save750

Go there and choose a laptop, customize it, then apply this coupon code at check out: 827$?P5TXTCK4T

The deal actually expires after 11,000 uses, so it will probably only last till this evening.

drguy22 said:
haha..id take the NIH over europe anyday...lol...crazy aint I :laugh:

Please tell me you're joking!! Unless you've done the Europe thing already...

Hey Homez, where are you going in Europe? Flying into London, then on to Italy, Spain, and France, then back in London to fly out.

Blue Scrub said:
Hey Homez, where are you going in Europe? Flying into London, then on to Italy, Spain, and France, then back in London to fly out.

Your trip definately sounds better but I'm flying into Paris, staying there for a few days, then possibly off to Londong for a day or two, back to Paris and flying out from there again. I can't wait :D

Did you guys get the email with the survey for us to get upperclassmen mentors? :)

Personally I think this is pretty cool. I was an upperclassmen mentor at my undergrad school for a while and I loved doing it. I hope I can apply to be one next year.

thehomez66 said:
From what I heard and saw at Housing Day, I would say that a handful of people are planning to live in Hoboken, a handful in the nearby towns, a few in Forest Hills, and a pretty decent amount in Society Hill.

My roomates and I though decided on going to a realitor after months of looking on our own in both SH and nearby towns and we just signed on a nice house in Bloomfield. So it seems that everybody is just doing whatever they feel most comfortable with.

Quick question, you said a few people are living in Forest Hills. Is that "Forest Hills Terrace" or "Forest Hills Tower?"

Can everyone else post where they are staying?

Hey everyone, Dr. Heinrich called me to say that they just gave me a late acceptance as a linkage student from the Rutgers post-baccalaureate program! I hope I haven't missed out on any critical ice cream parties or document deadlines. . . Looking forward to meeting everyone on August 11th or whenever!

-Dave

djseto said:
Hey everyone, Dr. Heinrich called me to say that they just gave me a late acceptance as a linkage student from the Rutgers post-baccalaureate program! I hope I haven't missed out on any critical ice cream parties or document deadlines. . . Looking forward to meeting everyone on August 11th or whenever!

-Dave

Congrats djseto that is awesome!!...im sure you're still in shock, but welcome, and I look forward to meeting you as well :thumbup: now enjoy the rest of your summer!!

vish57 said:
Quick question, you said a few people are living in Forest Hills. Is that "Forest Hills Terrace" or "Forest Hills Tower?"

I'm pretty sure its Forest Hill Terrace, its supposidly next to a park, so whichever that one is.

And congrats to djseto :thumbup:

djseto said:

-Dave
sup dude...congrats :thumbup: ....its really hard to get into that program...my friend also got into it. I think he got his call the day after he got his MCAT results back. anywayz welcome to the class....

and btw..u did missed a VERY critical ice cream social on June 3rd. haha

drguy22 said:
and btw..u did missed a VERY critical ice cream social on June 3rd. haha

Don't worry, djseto! Less than half the class came to the ice cream social on June 3rd. It was just a day of tours, talking to students, and eating. :) I'm sure orientation will bring all 170 of us together. Can't wait!!!

back to lab....

hey everyone,

i'm sure you all got that upperclassmen mentor email. i was wondering what everyone put for that question about what you'd be doing if you weren't in med school...it seems like something fun to share :)

untildawnbreaks said:
hey everyone,

i'm sure you all got that upperclassmen mentor email. i was wondering what everyone put for that question about what you'd be doing if you weren't in med school...it seems like something fun to share :)

i put grad school for PHD...

and umm favorite film..Harry Potter :cool:

drguy22 said:
i put grad school for PHD...

and umm favorite film..Harry Potter :cool:

you're a HP fan?! you've just made yourself a friend!! :)