Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
untildawnbreaks said:
you're a HP fan?! you've just made yourself a friend!! :)

Who else has Book 6 being delivered to them on the day of? :love: :)

The 4th movie comes out same week as my birthday.. yipeee....

Members don't see this ad.

UDbiochem said:

The 4th movie comes out same week as my birthday.. yipeee....

hahaha me ....i reserved it ....there arent any other guys that like Harry potter( not like like, but like the story plots...lol just makin sure u all dont get the wrong impression...hahaha) , besides me???? lol... :cool:

Congratulations Dave

I haven't read the HP books but I like the movies

Members don't see this ad :)
UDbiochem said:

i am definately!!
UDbiochem...you've got yourself a friend too!!! :)

funny story:
i used to work at CVS during the time books 4 and 5 were released and we'd get the books about a week before we were allowed to sell them. we had to sign these forms saying we knew it was a criminal offense to sell the books ahead of time or reveal their contents but of course we all got to read the books ahead of time. i'm about to ask for my old job back for a week just for that perk!!!!

I put I would consider PA school, assuming I didnt end up at either an allo or osteo med school....

As for HP, the books are good, the movies are OK I guess....but Im more of a LOTR fan anyway...Golum would kick Dobby's (sp?) ass anyday :p

Blue Scrub said:
I put I would consider PA school, assuming I didnt end up at either an allo or osteo med school....

As for HP, the books are good, the movies are OK I guess....but Im more of a LOTR fan anyway...Golum would kick Dobby's (sp?) ass anyday :p

bring it...lol :cool:

i like LOTR too...

im just cool like tat. :D

drguy22 said:
bring it...lol :cool:

i like LOTR too...

im just cool like tat. :D

Hey everyone ... for the "what would you be doing" question, I put that I would probably teach instead ...

and Trish - very cool about HP - my mom and sister were reading the first few books, then I decided to check it out, now I've read all 5 books and seen all 3 movies and loved 'em. A friend of mine gave me this 25 percent off thing at Barnes and Noble for Book 6 for my birthday (which was in April, but no complaints here!)

(and drguy, I'm a guy too)

And about where people are living - anyone else living in Bloomfield?

PiccplayerMD said:
I've read all 5 books and seen all 3 movies and loved 'em. A friend of mine gave me this 25 percent off thing at Barnes and Noble for Book 6 for my birthday (which was in April, but no complaints here!)

(and drguy, I'm a guy too)

haha awesome!

for the what would i do ques, i said i'd be a writer and work for moveon or democracy for america

What if/what would I do? I said work in a biochem lab part-time, be a photographer part-time.

btw...i ordered med skool books...

1) netters anatomy
2) moores clinically oriented anatomy
3) grants dissector
4) lippincotts biochemistry review

my friends in the pre-med school program at NJMS for the summer and this is what they made em buy....so i bought em :cool:

$225

the satisfaction of havin my med school books....priceless...

if any of u are gonna buy these books....lemme know...cuz ill show ya how to save 10 bucks if u buy it at BN.com

drguy22 said:
btw...i ordered med skool books...

1) netters anatomy
2) moores clinically oriented anatomy
3) grants dissector
4) lippincotts biochemistry review

my friends in the pre-med school program at NJMS for the summer and this is what they made em buy....so i bought em :cool:

$225

the satisfaction of havin my med school books....priceless...

if any of u are gonna buy these books....lemme know...cuz ill show ya how to save 10 bucks if u buy it at BN.com

Hey drguy, let me know how to save the $10, thanks.

Thanks for the info drguy.

Also, about the letter everybody received regarding the Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note. I was wondering if anyone had already been contacted by the Student Loans Office and if so what was the point of this? I'm asking because I'm going away on vacation soon and will be gone for quite a while and don't want to miss out on signing the promissory note. Any info you guys have about this would be great, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
thehomez66 said:
Thanks for the info drguy.

Also, about the letter everybody received regarding the Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note. I was wondering if anyone had already been contacted by the Student Loans Office and if so what was the point of this? I'm asking because I'm going away on vacation soon and will be gone for quite a while and don't want to miss out on signing the promissory note. Any info you guys have about this would be great, thanks.

they said they would make us sign it during orietation, or something to that effect (cant remember)...basically she said not to worry bout it and it will be taken care of....

drguy22 said:
they said they would make us sign it during orietation, or something to that effect (cant remember)...basically she said not to worry bout it and it will be taken care of....

Thanks for the info!

Did anyone actually already buy a PDA? I was talking to a 2nd year when I was looking at apartments, and she said that every year, they send out that e-mail about requiring PDAs, but you don't really need one. You could just as well use your laptop.

So, don't really know if I should go out and get one. :confused:

vaidya said:
Did anyone actually already buy a PDA? I was talking to a 2nd year when I was looking at apartments, and she said that every year, they send out that e-mail about requiring PDAs, but you don't really need one. You could just as well use your laptop.

So, don't really know if I should go out and get one. :confused:
me...i bought one...but I also wanted one and was just waiting for a excuse.

I just got the axim x50v. I also wanted an excuse to buy one... and I don't have a laptop. This will enable me to check email, fool around during lecture, and carry around medicine reference material... and it's much cheaper than a laptop.

Someone posted before that you barely need the pda first year and noting stuff down on index cards would suffice. I dont have a laptop either and I'm trying to get buy without it. If you find out that you need a PDA you could always go out and get one later, no need to get one now.

Is the whole school wireless yet? Or is it just the lecture halls? And does anyone plan on bringing their laptops to class at all, or is that just too much of a hassle?

Blue Scrub said:
Is the whole school wireless yet? Or is it just the lecture halls? And does anyone plan on bringing their laptops to class at all, or is that just too much of a hassle?

It's not the whole school yet ... and I don't plan on bringing my laptop to lecture (although perhaps I'll change my mind).

Also about the PDA thing - just bought the HP iPAQ 2755 on circuitcity.com (the same one drguy and thehomez got). Retail is 550, but if you get it on there it's 495 and there's a $50 rebate, so 445 plus tax after all is said and done. And shipping is free from circuitcity.com, or you can go to a store and they'll match the online price. Still a little on the pricey side, but it's one of the best PDAs out there, and if you're going to buy one, you might as well make it a good investment (in my opinion, anyway).

PiccplayerMD said:
It's not the whole school yet ... and I don't plan on bringing my laptop to lecture (although perhaps I'll change my mind).

Also about the PDA thing - just bought the HP iPAQ 2755 on circuitcity.com (the same one drguy and thehomez got). Retail is 550, but if you get it on there it's 495 and there's a $50 rebate, so 445 plus tax after all is said and done. And shipping is free from circuitcity.com, or you can go to a store and they'll match the online price. Still a little on the pricey side, but it's one of the best PDAs out there, and if you're going to buy one, you might as well make it a good investment (in my opinion, anyway).

:) :cool:

looks like i stared a trend...the entire NJMS class will have the ipaq 2755..haha

picc..how u likin the fingerprint reader? haha im obsessed wit it.

drguy22 said:
:) :cool:

looks like i stared a trend...the entire NJMS class will have the ipaq 2755..haha

picc..how u likin the fingerprint reader? haha im obsessed wit it.

still waiting for it! i just ordered it online yesterday.

Blue Scrub said:

Ha....school wireless. They have wireless routers and antennas everywhere in the MSB (lecture halls, PBL rooms, hallways) and you'd think that they'd work. But maybe they were just working out the bugs last year, but unless your computer was assigned a very specific IP address you had no internet access, and even if you were assigned that IP, you couldn't access umdnj.edu sites, which was frustrating to say the least.

I haven't tried since school ended, so maybe it's fixed.

The library wireless works fine.

Anyone have any idea when we'll see a concrete class schedule for this fall?
(Or perhaps if any currently exists where to find it?)
Thanks.

Hi everyone! I'm not Class of 2009 but I'm hoping to join all of you in the following year. I'm currently applying EDP to the school and I have my interveiw coming up real sooon. Do you guys have any advice for the interview? Anything you wish you had known beforehand? Any thoughts about whether I should schedule my interview before or after the tour? I could use any advice you guys have to offer. I'm really anxious/nervous/scared about the interview. LOL.

MochaMD said:
Hi everyone! I'm not Class of 2009 but I'm hoping to join all of you in the following year. I'm currently applying EDP to the school and I have my interveiw coming up real sooon. Do you guys have any advice for the interview? Anything you wish you had known beforehand? Any thoughts about whether I should schedule my interview before or after the tour? I could use any advice you guys have to offer. I'm really anxious/nervous/scared about the interview. LOL.

Chill...stop freakin out. u already have all tat u need....just dont mumble...haha :laugh:

MochaMD said:

NJMS is definitely not an interview to be anxious/nervous/scared about. Everyone's experiences I've heard about, my own included, were very non-stressful and friendly. A little nervousness is alright ... but this interview is certainly nothing to freak out about!

MochaMD said:

Don't worry... I'm echo-ing Piccplayer by saying that they aren't out to stress you out. It was my first interview and I was sooooo nervous, but my interviewer was really nice. I told him it was my first interview, and he said "oh, that's exciting! that gives me the chance to make a good impression on you then." LOL

Good luck! Just be yourself.

UDbiochem said:
Don't worry... I'm echo-ing Piccplayer by saying that they aren't out to stress you out. It was my first interview and I was sooooo nervous, but my interviewer was really nice. I told him it was my first interview, and he said "oh, that's exciting! that gives me the chance to make a good impression on you then." LOL

Good luck! Just be yourself.

Thanx for everyone's advice. It's going to be my first and ONLY interview for this whole med school application process so that's why I'm just a little scared. But, from what all you guys are saying, and reading the interview ratings on this website, it doesn't seem so bad anymore. Anywayz, I'm going to go schedule my interview now.

Also, on the supplemental application, when the question asks "Have you participated in any Education Programs at NJMS?" --should I put that I was in the Pre-Medical Honors Program (it was during my senior year in high school)?

MochaMD said:
Thanx for everyone's advice. It's going to be my first and ONLY interview for this whole med school application process so that's why I'm just a little scared. But, from what all you guys are saying, and reading the interview ratings on this website, it doesn't seem so bad anymore. Anywayz, I'm going to go schedule my interview now.

Also, on the supplemental application, when the question asks "Have you participated in any Education Programs at NJMS?" --should I put that I was in the Pre-Medical Honors Program (it was during my senior year in high school)?

If you participated in anything at NJMS, say yes and describe the program.

MochaMD said:

see told ya so...UD agrees!

MochaMD said:

Oh Lord yes. I precepted for this program last year and not only does the school love it, but the Admissions office keeps a file of all the kids who participated and graduated. Chances are they already know you've done it but definitely put it on your supplemental.

If you are interested in community projects and volunteering in impoverished areas, I would mention that. I was explaining how i did in the city of Rochester and my interviewer's eyes lit up and he began to rave about NJMS's student-run clinic. I dont think you have anything to worry about, they are realy layed back, Good Luck

vish57 said:
If you are interested in community projects and volunteering in impoverished areas, I would mention that. I was explaining how i did in the city of Rochester and my interviewer's eyes lit up and he began to rave about NJMS's student-run clinic. I dont think you have anything to worry about, they are realy layed back, Good Luck

speakin of student clinics...u all got the email today bout the clinic?

drguy22 said:
speakin of student clinics...u all got the email today bout the clinic?

I really want to get involved in that... but I'm in DE until end of July. I guess I'll have to go to the later session they also mentioned in the email.

In that student suggested book list the student medical association sent out they suggested reading old test questions for exam prep. Does NJMS provide old tests to students? Thanks.

i got one of those letters bout the promisary note AGAIN...wats up wit tat? did u all get em too?

drguy22 said:
i got one of those letters bout the promisary note AGAIN...wats up wit tat? did u all get em too?

Yup, we will probably get them every three weeks like they said they would notify us.

From Website:

New Jersey Medical School has received a full eight-year accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), a proud accomplishment that reflects the outstanding work of the many students, faculty, administrators and staff who spent the past year preparing for the accreditation site visit. In its letter announcing the accreditation, the LCME cited six institutional strengths identified by the site survey team. They are: commitment to medical education through the allocation of substantial resources to support educational improvement; the new Jubilee curriculum; the student satisfaction with student support services such as the Office of Student Affairs, Registrar and financial aid; remarkable student commitment to community service; ongoing success in sustaining a diverse student body through pipeline programs; and the substantial growth in extramural funding from the National Institutes of Health. The next full accreditation survey will take place during the 2012-2013 academic year.

old exams are available through the student website. each department has it's own policy about releasing old exams. biochem and genetics have practice questions available throughout the course. physio and histo release old exams, as do psych. for neuro, you will hear this repeated, use pre-test.
never at a loss for materials to study...
iferg17 said:
In that student suggested book list the student medical association sent out they suggested reading old test questions for exam prep. Does NJMS provide old tests to students? Thanks.

First year schedules are out thanks to Heinrich! Does anyone know when orientation starts every day? Doesn't say....

UDbiochem said:
First year schedules are out thanks to Heinrich! Does anyone know when orientation starts every day? Doesn't say....
:scared:

hey, is anybody joining AMSA and/or SNMA or any other organizations that have mailed you guys since you received acceptances?

vish57 said:
What's with the face? I thought you would be excited...

haha...i am...im scared of the work load....lol...ill get over it.

djseto said:
hey, is anybody joining AMSA and/or SNMA or any other organizations that have mailed you guys since you received acceptances?

I don't think I ever got mail from any of them. Is it of any benefit to join them?

vish57 said:
I don't think I ever got mail from any of them. Is it of any benefit to join them?

I'm not sure. . . do any of you know any MS2-MS4 students who have experience with these organizations?