Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4 Ever said:
cars are stolen for parts mostly - theres much more money to be made from them. So, people would only need parts for older cars since how many times does a 2005 accord need a new transmission? So, if youre driving a car made in the early to mid 90s, you're more likely to be hit. Same goes for popular cars such as civics, accords, camry's, corollas etc

Also, realize that the average thief does not drive manual so ure SLIGHTLY less likely to be targeted for car theft but this does not mean it cant happen to you (sometimes they just tow the car).

So like it was stated earlier, park with a club (itll deter the thief but its not a guarantee they wont steal it) and use common sense. Thats ALL you can really do. Aside from that, its just a lot of bad luck if you get hit.

Thanks 4Ever. Yeah I guess you just gotta be careful and do everything you can to deter a thief, such as using the club, having an alarm, keeping things inside your car out of sight, etc. Not much else you can do besides that I guess, except to not bring a car....but I really cant live without my car :)

Members don't see this ad.

Blue Scrub said:
Thanks 4Ever. Yeah I guess you just gotta be careful and do everything you can to deter a thief, such as using the club, having an alarm, keeping things inside your car out of sight, etc. Not much else you can do besides that I guess, except to not bring a car....but I really cant live without my car :)

Hey Blue,

definately bring your car!
just be careful: keep your doors locked and windows up & if you drive thru the city and you stop at a light make sure you leave space b/t you and the car ahead of you so that if anything shady starts to happen you can manuever around it. if you're walking around outside try not to carry anything that you would mind having stolen.

i think newark is a neat city (in the daylight anyway). there's all old buildings still left standing in the most random places: the ballatine mansion (which is now part of the museum), the mosque that malcolm x wrote about in his autobiography, the african american hertiage foundation mansion, etc

untildawnbreaks said:
if you drive thru the city and you stop at a light make sure you leave space b/t you and the car ahead of you so that if anything shady starts to happen you can manuever around it.

This tip is great - my cousin was almost blocked in and (well who knows what would have happened) but he got away. so keep it in mind while ure driving

Members don't see this ad :)
untildawnbreaks said:
Hey Blue,

definately bring your car!
just be careful: keep your doors locked and windows up & if you drive thru the city and you stop at a light make sure you leave space b/t you and the car ahead of you so that if anything shady starts to happen you can manuever around it. if you're walking around outside try not to carry anything that you would mind having stolen.

i think newark is a neat city (in the daylight anyway). there's all old buildings still left standing in the most random places: the ballatine mansion (which is now part of the museum), the mosque that malcolm x wrote about in his autobiography, the african american hertiage foundation mansion, etc

4 Ever said:
This tip is great - my cousin was almost blocked in and (well who knows what would have happened) but he got away. so keep it in mind while ure driving

Thanks guys, def good tips to remember... when you say "walking around outside", you mean outside the NJMS campus or the city of Newark, or both?

As a palm user since college, I have a different take on the PDA issue.. what 4ever says is true: most people really don't utilize their PDAs, even for entering patient data in our preceptorships.

However, PDAs are really versatile and can not only help you keep your classes/meetings/tasks/contacts in order, but can also help you as a medical student.. you can download drug books, dictionaries, differential diagnosis programs, etc. (many of which are free) that can be of great assistance.

I made a suggestion to the office of education that they have a version of our class schedule that can be imported into pc/palm-based PDAs, and I was told that they'll try to work on this for the fall. I also hope they do a better job of showing people how to use their PDAs, b/c I felt the session during our orientation kinda deterred people from using PDAs... One of my long-term plans (yes, it's a task in my palm) is to make a powerpoint presentation for next academic year that will go over how to REALLY use your PDA in medical school. so stay tuned...

re: laptops, I agree w/4ever... it's personal preference, but they're definitely not required. they just finished a 24-hour access computer lab just for NJMS students in addition to the regular lab.. so if you don't have a laptop, you should have adequate computer resources on campus.

abbeacon

4 Ever said:
PDA's are a "requirement". That being said, most of us hardly even use our PDAs. It was cool initially because we all felt we would get organized but we really dont use it much. Supposedly, for preceptorship you will have to enter the patient data through the PDA and sync it online but you can just go to the website and enter the data manually. So short answer, NO u don't need it. Just save the money for one during 3rd year or until you really feel as if u need it.

regarding computers, laptops are convenient but u won't be at a disadvantage if you don't have one. Some people like having them, others can do without them. Its a personal preference on this one

abbeacon said:
As a palm user since college, I have a different take on the PDA issue.. what 4ever says is true: most people really don't utilize their PDAs, even for entering patient data in our preceptorships.

However, PDAs are really versatile and can not only help you keep your classes/meetings/tasks/contacts in order, but can also help you as a medical student.. you can download drug books, dictionaries, differential diagnosis programs, etc. (many of which are free) that can be of great assistance.

I made a suggestion to the office of education that they have a version of our class schedule that can be imported into pc/palm-based PDAs, and I was told that they'll try to work on this for the fall. I also hope they do a better job of showing people how to use their PDAs, b/c I felt the session during our orientation kinda deterred people from using PDAs... One of my long-term plans (yes, it's a task in my palm) is to make a powerpoint presentation for next academic year that will go over how to REALLY use your PDA in medical school. so stay tuned...

re: laptops, I agree w/4ever... it's personal preference, but they're definitely not required. they just finished a 24-hour access computer lab just for NJMS students in addition to the regular lab.. so if you don't have a laptop, you should have adequate computer resources on campus.

abbeacon

That sounds awesome, a presentation on using a palm would def be useful and make it less intimidating....do you have any suggestions as to which kind of device to buy, or does it not matter much? maybe I should buy one right now so hopefully I'll know how to use at some point :)

drguy22 said:
btw..how do you make ur mom stop crying....??? a lil help here pls..lol this is the first time im leavin the house....

Anyone here seen American Desi? Cuz I had a wierd deja vu flashback to the scene where the punjabi guy says the same exact thing......

KNightInBlue said:
Anyone here seen American Desi? Cuz I had a wierd deja vu flashback to the scene where the punjabi guy says the same exact thing......

lol ya...its a bit better now...

BTW..NIH IS AWESOME!!! :cool:

drguy22 said:
lol ya...its a bit better now...

BTW..NIH IS AWESOME!!! :cool:

How's it going over there DrGuy? Do you have housing in Maryland right now?

Blue Scrub said:
How's it going over there DrGuy? Do you have housing in Maryland right now?

ya i do.....i dont like the housing part of it too much..but i guess that the price i pay for the experience...which is really AWESOME! Im here for like 3 days now..and i have prolly already used bout a couple thousand dollars worth of materials...lol.... :cool:

I am now officially coming to NJMS. Can't wait till Aug. 11

$10 drguy22 and bluescrub are gonna hook up when school beings (yes, i know you are both guys)

chitown82 said:
$10 drguy22 and bluescrub are gonna hook up when school beings (yes, i know you are both guys)

hahaha...very funny...but no..lol

Members don't see this ad :)
chitown82 said:

:eek: :laugh: Funny one Chitown!! :smuggrin:

So DrGuy....what are you doing this weekend? JK!!!

vish57 said:
I am now officially coming to NJMS. Can't wait till Aug. 11

Nice, welcome Vish!! Glad you weren't turned to the Darkside! (JK, for all you anonymous RWJ students reading this thread)

Blue Scrub said:
Nice, welcome Vish!! Glad you weren't turned to the Darkside! (JK, for all you anonymous RWJ students reading this thread)

welcome vish.... :thumbup:

Blue Scrub said:

Have you guys started the WebCT orienation yet? It's so long!

Speaking of the Dark Side.. (not related to NJMS), I've already seen Episode III twice. It's amazing.

Do you guys (or girls) know what the ratio is for girls vs guys at NJMS? I'm just curious. I'm a girl.

UDbiochem said:

Speaking of the Dark Side.. (not related to NJMS), I've already seen Episode III twice. It's amazing.

Do you guys (or girls) know what the ratio is for girls vs guys at NJMS? I'm just curious. I'm a girl.

I started to do the orientation, but I didnt finish...I guess I'll try and go thru it all sometime soon, hopefully...and that's cool you've seen Episode 3 2x already, I saw it last Friday and thought it was awesome, I wouldn't mind seeing it again...Im curious as well about the girl-guy ratio as well

UDbiochem said:

we HAVE to do the webct orientation?
wait..it says 2004-2005...so why would we have to do this?

drguy22 said:
we HAVE to do the webct orientation?
wait..it says 2004-2005...so why would we have to do this?

Could be wrong, but I dont think we have to do it....I think its just so we know how to utilize the WebCT and its features, but I dont think its required or anything

Thanks everybody. I'm also curious about the ratio, im a guy, if that helps. I guess we could get an idea of the ratio at njms from the thread, although it will probably be very inacuarate.

vish57 said:
Thanks everybody. I'm also curious about the ratio, im a guy, if that helps. I guess we could get an idea of the ratio at njms from the thread, although it will probably be very inacuarate.

Yeah def more guys than girls on this thread....UDBiochem, have any friends going to NJMS too? :) Tell them to start posting :thumbup:

Blue Scrub said:
Yeah def more guys than girls on this thread....UDBiochem, have any friends going to NJMS too? :) Tell them to start posting :thumbup:

One friend... he has your profile quote in his AIM profile, so either you're him or he reads this board and got it from you, or he got it from the same source. :)

It's ok if there are more guys. :) I go to UD, where it's almost 60% girls... would be nice to have it reversed for a change.

UDbiochem said:
One friend... he has your profile quote in his AIM profile, so either you're him or he reads this board and got it from you, or he got it from the same source. :)

It's ok if there are more guys. :) I go to UD, where it's almost 60% girls... would be nice to have it reversed for a change.

:laugh: nah I dont think Im him, or am I? :) Which quote are you referring to by the way?

Blue Scrub said:
:laugh: nah I dont think Im him, or am I? :) Which quote are you referring to by the way?

The "nurse, suction" one. lol

I need to be more excited about going here. I got a scholarship to go but I would easily drop it to go to any of the schools im waitlisted at. Help me love this school like you guys!

Oh yea, I didn't do any of the immunization/physical exam crap. I'm leaving to europe today for a month. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna miss the deadline to hand that all in. Do you think they will really care as long as I get it in eventually? I mean imagine those people who get off the waitlist, I'm sure they will have a lot of catching up with all these things we have to fill out.

blz said:
I need to be more excited about going here. I got a scholarship to go but I would easily drop it to go to any of the schools im waitlisted at. Help me love this school like you guys!

Med school is what you make it. I'm going here because it's affordable, it's a good school that has a good reputation in the tri-state area, close to my home, and great clinical experience in a place where you're needed. On a tour way back in October, the tour guide said that he got to do tons of procedures that his other friends at fancier private schools didn't get to do. The population of Newark is very underprivileged to a great extent and need health care. They are less likely to complain that a medical student is examining them.

I made a similar decision for undergrad. I chose my undergrad over a bunch of very very good private undergrad schools because my undergrad had good opportunities at a bargain price. Yeah, University of Delaware isn't the biggest name out there, most people think it's a huge party school (which it is, i'm not going to lie.) But UD also has great undergrad research programs as well as study-abroad. (I sailed to Antarctica this past January, took photojournalism classes and took pictures of penguins.) I strongly believe that life is very much what you make it, not where you live or where you go to school... and I have never EVER regretted my decision for undergrad.

blz said:

Hey Blz,

Don't know what I can say that you haven't heard, but here it goes:

For the one thing, even though the group that's posting here is relatively small, I think you can tell it's a very friendly bunch of people. The same holds true for all my experiences at the school thus far - everyone I've encountered, from Dr. Heinrich to the students giving tours, has been surprisingly personable and friendly (both in person and on the phone). I didn't get that impression, or at least not to the same degree, at "better" schools I applied to - Einstein, Sinai, and Columbia, for example.

So, in my opinion, the camaraderie at NJMS is definitely something to be excited about.

Also, they're very receptive to student concerns, to transforming the curriculum, and if you're looking for really good clinical exposure, Newark's one of the best places to go.

As a last note - my former college roommate, who was in the 7-year program with TCNJ and NJMS, really could have applied to and been accepted to any other med school. But, he didn't, and when I was talking to his mom recently, she said he's absolutely loved his first year at NJMS.

Hope that helps.

blz said:

Who needs love when you have free tuition?

MonteeC said:

The scholarship isn't that big. NJMS reserves most of their full rides to URMs. I would be considered an ORM by their standards.

UDbiochem said:
Med school is what you make it. I'm going here because it's affordable, it's a good school that has a good reputation in the tri-state area, close to my home, and great clinical experience in a place where you're needed. On a tour way back in October, the tour guide said that he got to do tons of procedures that his other friends at fancier private schools didn't get to do. The population of Newark is very underprivileged to a great extent and need health care. They are less likely to complain that a medical student is examining them.

I made a similar decision for undergrad. I chose my undergrad over a bunch of very very good private undergrad schools because my undergrad had good opportunities at a bargain price. Yeah, University of Delaware isn't the biggest name out there, most people think it's a huge party school (which it is, i'm not going to lie.) But UD also has great undergrad research programs as well as study-abroad. (I sailed to Antarctica this past January, took photojournalism classes and took pictures of penguins.) I strongly believe that life is very much what you make it, not where you live or where you go to school... and I have never EVER regretted my decision for undergrad.

I agree with UDBiochem. I went to undergrad at TCNJ over two VERY good schools, for the same reason. The classes were amazing, as were the professors, plenty of opportunities to get involved in research, etc. Also a very friendly atmosphere overall. One of my professors, who taught at both Princeton and TCNJ, said that much more exciting academic activities were happening at TCNJ. I can't think of too many schools in the area with a less-known name than TCNJ; one of my med school interviewers was confused and thought I went to Rutgers. But, it was a great experience, and I really think NJMS will be too.

MonteeC said:

because being happy with where you go to school, and in general, is about a lot more than just money :)

blz said:
The scholarship isn't that big. NJMS reserves most of their full rides to URMs. I would be considered an ORM by their standards.

Oh, well I guess it'd depend then. I think NJMS is a good school, I doubt you'd lose many opportunities for career advancement if you went to state. I agree with what's already been said, "You make the best of it". Unless of course you get an offer from a school that guarantees placement in ultra-competitive residencies. But then again NJMS students also get into very good residencies as well. It's all up to you but I think that it would be a mistake to not appreciate the little things like any sort of scholarship, state tuition, proximity to home, family etc.

UDbiochem said:
(I sailed to Antarctica this past January, took photojournalism classes and took pictures of penguins.)

That's awesome, you went to Antarctica and took pics there?? I've never met anyone who's been there... how was it, I mean besides the cold weather and all the snow and ice there....what else did you do there? Sorry Im just fascinated by the fact you've been to Antarctica :)

blz said:
I'm leaving to europe today for a month.

Sweeet, where in Europe are you going? Im leaving for Europe on July 5th, and I cant freakin wait, it'll be amazing....Im hitting up London for 1 night, then onto Italy, Spain, and France...I'll be there pretty much for the whole month of July

PiccplayerMD said:
because being happy with where you go to school, and in general, is about a lot more than just money :)

Awww, come on Picc. Getting out of school with lighter debt will make anyone happy any day. NJMS is a very good school. You just have to learn to love Newark a little. ;)

PiccplayerMD said:
I agree with UDBiochem. I went to undergrad at TCNJ over two VERY good schools, for the same reason. The classes were amazing, as were the professors, plenty of opportunities to get involved in research, etc.

i HATED tcnj when i first visited and wasn't very thrilled about going there over some of the other schools i was accepted to. the summer b/f college, i wasn't excited or happy at all...
...when i moved out this may, i cried my eyes out. i've never felt more at home than i did at TCNJ and it's still hard for me to accept that i won't be there again.

my point being, you think you might not like NJMS because it doesn't meet your criteria...but once you're there you might really fall in love.

if TCNJ had a med school, i would have NEVER left!!!!!

Blue Scrub said:
That's awesome, you went to Antarctica and took pics there?? I've never met anyone who's been there... how was it, I mean besides the cold weather and all the snow and ice there....what else did you do there? Sorry Im just fascinated by the fact you've been to Antarctica :)

Have fun in Europe, Blue Scrub! (and the rest of you who are traveling abroad this summer! My January excursions were my first trips abroad and they were amazing.

Yeah, you could say I already had my big adventure before medical school... I went with 23 other students and 2 profs from UD, we traveled around Argentina a bit too, took a ship from Ushuaia (the southern most city in the world) to the Antarctic Peninsula. It wasn't too cold, it's summer down there, so 20-30 degrees farenheit. LOTS of penguins which are loud and smelly in real life. It was not related to biochem at all, it was a photography trip mostly, but it was for the experience. :) We sailed around for a week or so, took pictures, walked/waddled around in our gigantic waterproof boots on land, and we got to camp out on the continent one night too. :)

Most people say "why would you want to go there??!!!" when I mention it. This is probably corny, but I think of everything in life as an adventure.

While we're on the subject of "why people like NJMS" I thought I'd throw in my two cents. (And take a jab at that other UMDNJ MD school while I'm at it...)

At first glance it is not hard to see why NJMS can be viewed as a grating or unfriendly place - I mean it is located in the urban heart of Newark and is not in a neighborhood that a typical WASPy suburban kid like me is likely to have spent much time in growing up. This can be a tremendous turn-off for the unaccustomed and is probably the strongest reason why applicants might be more affectionate towards RWJ.

Now I've spent the last 8 months working at NJMS in a Neuro lab and I gotta say a few things:

About safety - while not completely innocuous, Newark itself has so far proven to be rather harmless. (I find all the talk of stolen cars on here to be pretty amusing.) I was talking with a secretary on my floor a few days ago about the subject of NJMS safety and she mentioned that she hadn't heard of any muggings/stolen cars, etc _on campus or in the parking garages_ in several years. This could of course be wrong, - no reason not to be careful - but neither she nor any of the many other NJMS employees I work with seem all that regularily concerned for their own safety. Anyway, safety is by no means a non-issue at NJMS, but it's nothing to get too worked up over either. Relax folks.

I'll admit I haven't talked with too many NJMS first and second years, but I did bump into an old friend of mine who was doing one of his RWJ 4th year rotations at the UMDNJ hospital in Newark. My friend spent a good portion of our conversation espousing how crummy his experience at RWJ had been and how much he would have rather spent his clinical years at NJMS. He told me (along with a 4th year NJMS student who was with him) that all this stuff about NJMS students being given more autonomy with patients and just plain experiencing more than students in better served areas is actually fairly accurate. (He mentioned among other things some story about a surgeon handing him a pair of tongs and asking him to "fish out a bullet" from some poor guy while the surgeon left the room to take care of something else for a few minutes.) Anyway, personal testimonials are by no means an accurate represenation of what any experience will be like - but I have yet to hear anything trully negative about NJMS clinical experiences.

Uggghhh.... I'm only about halfway through this long, meandering diatribe, but I gotta run. I'll post more later if anyone cares to indulge me.

dbpatto said:
About safety - while not completely innocuous, Newark itself has so far proven to be rather harmless. (I find all the talk of stolen cars on here to be pretty amusing.) I was talking with a secretary on my floor a few days ago about the subject of NJMS safety and she mentioned that she hadn't heard of any muggings/stolen cars, etc _on campus or in the parking garages_ in several years. This could of course be wrong, - no reason not to be careful - but neither she nor any of the many other NJMS employees I work with seem all that regularily concerned for their own safety. Anyway, safety is by no means a non-issue at NJMS, but it's nothing to get too worked up over either. Relax folks.

just to add my 2 cents - there was a mass email sent by the dean about 2 cars that were broken into a few months ago (maybe around january) on campus? and I have had 1 friend who's car was stolen and another who's car's lock was broken while the thief was attempting to break in (lucky for him, the thief didn't get the car). Maybe the secretary didn't get the email since it might have been sent only to students but car theft goes on a lot more than she realizes. But car theft occurs everywhere... last i checked, RWJ is near some bad parts of piscataway also (equivalent to the bad parts of newark) so cars probably get stolen there too. All you can do is do your best to try to prevent it from happening.

I just brought the carjacking question up because my friend who went to NJMS had his car stolen... maybe its not all that common but it does happen...regardless, taking every precaution you can take is the best you can do, and after that it's really out of your hands....as far as safety there goes, Im concerned but not really worried....just be smart and careful and I think everyone will be OK :thumbup:

Hey guys...I sent a letter to dr.heinrich at the address provided by patel8 a few days ago...

George F. Heinrich
185 South Orange Ave., MSB, Room C-654
PO Box 1709
Newark NJ 07101

how can i confirm that he got the letter? can i call admissions to see if they put it in my file? i just wanna make sure that it was received by him.

bump.... and I'm graduating tomorrow!!!!!!!! FINALLY!

One week till Housing Day, guys! Hope to meet you all there!

Camisho - yeah you can call the admissions office, Im sure they can help you out

UDBiochem - Congrats!

Did everyone make requests to send in their final transcripts from their schools yet?

Blue Scrub said:
I just brought the carjacking question up because my friend who went to NJMS had his car stolen... maybe its not all that common but it does happen...regardless, taking every precaution you can take is the best you can do, and after that it's really out of your hands....as far as safety there goes, Im concerned but not really worried....just be smart and careful and I think everyone will be OK :thumbup:

Heheh, ok well I stand corrected then. :)
DIdn't realize this stuff was much more than hype.
Hrmm... I was thinking about trading in my beat-up old subaru for a newer one before school starts but perhaps I'll keep it for another 4 years. Any thief would be hard pressed to get it going... 2nd gear doesn't so much work anymore.

Blue Scrub said:
Camisho - yeah you can call the admissions office, Im sure they can help you out

UDBiochem - Congrats!

Did everyone make requests to send in their final transcripts from their schools yet?

UD congrats!!!!! u made it!

Blue, ya i sent in my requests for the final transcripts.....

hahaha..i actually drove home today..ill drive back mon afternoon, and then drive back thurs evening for fridays housing day...lol :cool:

Next week is sweet....only work from Tues-Thurs....then its Ice Cream Social time on Friday :cool:

What time does the breakfast/brunch start in the morning, guys? My computer's in storage for the week while I'm in Jersey before I head back to UD again to do summer research. Therefore, I have no access to the email that said what time it all started.

Thanks!