Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,

just some friendly advice from a (gulp) 2nd year...relax! enjoy what time you have left of summer. you will have plenty of time to figure out what clubs to join and what activities you want to be involved in. in the beginning of the year there is an activities fair where every org tells you what they are all about. don't worry too much about books or equipment. all that stuff will be dealt with during orientation - promise!!!!

so relax, hit the beach, and don't worry about hitting the books until at least august 11th :wow:

oh yeah, i think orientation usually starts at 9am each day.

Congrats!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

daisyage said:
hey guys,

just some friendly advice from a (gulp) 2nd year...relax! enjoy what time you have left of summer. you will have plenty of time to figure out what clubs to join and what activities you want to be involved in. in the beginning of the year there is an activities fair where every org tells you what they are all about. don't worry too much about books or equipment. all that stuff will be dealt with during orientation - promise!!!!

so relax, hit the beach, and don't worry about hitting the books until at least august 11th :wow:

oh yeah, i think orientation usually starts at 9am each day.

Congrats!!!!!

ah, great! thanks for the relieving words, daisyage!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in DE still, but according to my dad who opened my mail, I got a whole load of stuff yesterday including the orientation schedule!!! It feels so close now... I'm so psyched. And I just got an email from my peer supporter who sounds amazing. :)

UDbiochem said:
I'm in DE still, but according to my dad who opened my mail, I got a whole load of stuff yesterday including the orientation schedule!!! It feels so close now... I'm so psyched. And I just got an email from my peer supporter who sounds amazing. :)

yep got the same packet yesterday too...i was makin my mom read it, but she got tired of readin all of it after a while..lol

i also stook the myers briggs thingy...

so anyone wanna post the orientation schedule, only the imp things....cuz i dont wanna wait till august 4th when i go home to read it.... :D THNX

I was curious if any of you and your families were planning on attending the dinner after the white coat ceremony and/or the newark bears baseball game during the orientation week? As of now I'm not planning on attending either but if everybody else is I might as well too.

I'm definitely planning on the Bears game, probably not the dinner though.

thehomez66 said:
I was curious if any of you and your families were planning on attending the dinner after the white coat ceremony and/or the newark bears baseball game during the orientation week? As of now I'm not planning on attending either but if everybody else is I might as well too.
bball game maybe ...dinner no....is there anything else interesting.?

vish57 said:

Nice post, it was quite an interesting article. Does anybody else find it funny that the new dean might be Robert Johnson? (Robert Wood Johnson) :laugh:

And about the dinner, it doesn't seem like I'm going to attend that either, but the bears game sounds like it'll be a good time.

Another question, did anyone start buying school supplies, like notebooks, binders, etc? If so what did you buy or what do you think we need? Or is it recommended to just wait till orientation week and have them tell us what we need?

buy 3-ring binders, paper and lots of #2 pencils. it is amazing, but we still need them; scantron will still be a part of your life!

and btw, if the interim dean is dr. johnson, then super duper; from my experience, he is great. :thumbup:

daisyage said:
buy 3-ring binders, paper and lots of #2 pencils. it is amazing, but we still need them; scantron will still be a part of your life!

and btw, if the interim dean is dr. johnson, then super duper; from my experience, he is great. :thumbup:

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to go ahead and buy that stuff.

And about the Dean change I think its a good thing for the school because the new dean will do all he can to impress and will help the school grow and become better than it already is :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't really get an answer about this from Admissions or Student Affairs, so I was hoping that a current NJMS student would be around to fill me in.

I just ordered a computer yesterday with basic microsoft office software, so I will have Word and Excel. Do I need to upgrade to the small business version so that I will have PowerPoint? It costs about $75 more, so I would only want it if it was necessary on a day-to-day basis (perhaps to view instructor's PowerPoints).

Also, I am planning on waiting until school starts to get my PDA. I have zero familiarity with them, and since you can't buy Dells in stores, I want to check out what other people have. Is that going to be a problem?

Thanks.

most professors utilized PDF files for their lectures. Some utilized powerpoints but upload PDF formats for others to use. Also, for most of your classes, you get printed copies of lecture slides so you can make notes on them. Adobe Acrobat is more useful to have than powerpoint (though u may run into a few lectures that are only on powerpoint).

My personal suggestion has been to avoid the PDAs since they aren't as heavily used as the school emphasizes. You shouldnt have to spend over 400dollars on a piece of hardware that might become outdated by the time you hit the wards. If you still want a PDA, then you still have plenty of time to wait until you see other people's stuff before buying.

Did anybody else receive the tuition bill from UMDNJ yet? I received it about 2 days ago and its for approximately $12,000 and says that its due as soon as we receive the bill. Should I go ahead and pay this or wait till I get my financial aid check?

re: the tution bill - wait for orientation. last year during orientation they will handed out the checks. the check you receive will be the difference (loan-tuition & fees=your check).

also, it is not crucial to have powerpoint. they almost always make a .pdf available. and you only need adobe acrobat reader. the computer labs all have the full version if you want to create a .pdf.

you can wait to buy a pda.

aren't you getting excited?????

thehomez66 said:
Did anybody else receive the tuition bill from UMDNJ yet? I received it about 2 days ago and its for approximately $12,000 and says that its due as soon as we receive the bill. Should I go ahead and pay this or wait till I get my financial aid check?

I don't think that's true. I also recieved my bill yesterday but mine says tuition is due in full on 8/25. Financial aid only recently told the 2nd year class about their loan awards and I know for sure thay haven't released the funds to the cashier's or buisness office or whoever gets the money I don't really have.

Don't sweat it.

Thanks for your reply guys, I'll definately just wait till orientation then. And about the due date, on my it says "Due When Received" but its not a big deal, the start of school is only 2 weeks away. Thanks again

thehomez66 said:
Thanks for your reply guys, I'll definately just wait till orientation then. And about the due date, on my it says "Due When Received" but its not a big deal, the start of school is only 2 weeks away. Thanks again
i called em up yesterday...and they said they can wait for the money until the finacial aid comes through....

Every time I scroll past this thread, I think it says "Official Ninjas Class." I know, I'm dyslexic, but it's funny to me. :) Congrats on your acceptance! I wish I could be an official ninja too...

McP

Thanks drguy :thumbup:

McP said:
Every time I scroll past this thread, I think it says "Official Ninjas Class." I know, I'm dyslexic, but it's funny to me. :) Congrats on your acceptance! I wish I could be an official ninja too...

McP

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Four more years and i'll have my Official Ninja License :clap:

Hey everyone,

Sorry I've been out of the loop for the past few weeks, I just got back from my European tour, amazing to say the least... but I just wanted to ask what's the deal with University Hospital and it double-billing medicare... is this going to be a problem for us at all? What's going to happen?

Blue Scrub said:
Hey everyone,

Sorry I've been out of the loop for the past few weeks, I just got back from my European tour, amazing to say the least... but I just wanted to ask what's the deal with University Hospital and it double-billing medicare... is this going to be a problem for us at all? What's going to happen?

i doubt is should affect us....

glad to hear that ur trip was fun... :D

im done at the NIH this coming WED! :cool:

bump....were just around the corner now...... :cool:

You guys get the email about the UMDNJ First Night Celebration? Sounds like it's going to be a great time :D

thehomez66 said:
You guys get the email about the UMDNJ First Night Celebration? Sounds like it's going to be a great time :D
u think theyll lemme in...im not 21..haha

drguy22 said:
u think theyll lemme in...im not 21..haha

I was thinking about that, a bunch of people from the class aren't, but in the email it did say to bring your drivers lisence, so I'm assuming you do need to be 21. The best way for you to find out would be to reply to the email and ask...

thehomez66 said:
I was thinking about that, a bunch of people from the class aren't, but in the email it did say to bring your drivers lisence, so I'm assuming you do need to be 21. The best way for you to find out would be to reply to the email and ask...
maybe just to drink? just sux to be young!

how are so many people not yet 21?

have u guys signed anything in terms of a MPN for financial aid?

drguy22 said:

Hey M1s,

I just found this thread so I missed the first 670 or so messages on it. I don't really feel like going back to read them so can someone paraphrase for me :) Did anyone say anything worth hearing in the past 6 months?

Btw, I signed my MPN with Sallie Mae on May 15. I never signed anything with financial aid, though.

drguy22 said:

I think I signed an MPN but I'm not 100% sure, but I did receive this letter in the mail from Sallie Mae asking me to go to this website to sign it and it wouldn't let me in for one of two reasons. 1. I already signed it 2. the system is having problems. Did anybody else run into this issue? And besides I'm not too worried, if anything happens we can take care of it when we start which is only 1 week away!

thesauce said:
Hey M1s,

I just found this thread so I missed the first 670 or so messages on it. I don't really feel like going back to read them so can someone paraphrase for me :) Did anyone say anything worth hearing in the past 6 months?

Welcome to the thread thesauce! I don't think there is anything that you shouldn't already know posted on here and if you have any questions just repost, I don't think anybody minds answering them again, its not that big a deal.

I have a few questions to ask the upperclassmen and even other MS1's regarding the email we recieved from Dr. Boyd today.

First off I've read a few threads on SDN where people say not to buy most of the things that Dr. Boyd listed for us as requirements because wherever you go they will have them available for your use. But, I think we need to buy them given the fact that we will be using them in Physicians Core, is this correct?

Also, is it necessary to get a PanOptic Opthalmoscope, or is the standard Coaxial one sufficient? Price really isn't the issue, its just the question of whether or not we will need/use the PanOptic or will the Coaxial alone be fine?

And lastely, what brand do you guys recommend? It seems to me that Welch Allyn makes the best scopes and Littman makes the best stethoscopes. Any other recommendations suggestions?

Thanks for the help :)

awwww man..i gotta go on saturday for the vitals training...

there are way toooo many email for me to digest..lol..im not outta summer mode yet...damn... :eek:

thehomez66 said:
First off I've read a few threads on SDN where people say not to buy most of the things that Dr. Boyd listed for us as requirements because wherever you go they will have them available for your use. But, I think we need to buy them given the fact that we will be using them in Physicians Core, is this correct?
Also, is it necessary to get a PanOptic Opthalmoscope, or is the standard Coaxial one sufficient? Price really isn't the issue, its just the question of whether or not we will need/use the PanOptic or will the Coaxial alone be fine?
And lastely, what brand do you guys recommend? It seems to me that Welch Allyn makes the best scopes and Littman makes the best stethoscopes. Any other recommendations suggestions?

You definitely cant avoid the stethescope in the big list that Dr. Boyd sent out. As for the other instruments, practically all of the preceptor's have exactly what you need to do the physical on patients. The panoptic is a great device however, I have hardly used it in my patient encounters because most people hate having a suction cup placed over their eye. Maybe during the 2nd year that will change. i do remember during physical exam sessions, we needed them to practice on each other. So you can take it as a nudge to buy the stuff on the list, or not. I'm sure that at one point in your life you will need to get it anyway though.

Littman makes both the master cardiology and the cardiology III and those are the 2 that are highly recommended by everyone. If you want to be different, you can get something else.

drguy22 said:
awwww man..i gotta go on saturday for the vitals training...

there are way toooo many email for me to digest..lol..im not outta summer mode yet...damn... :eek:

vital signs training is also covered during the orientation so if you miss the early one, don't worry - EVERYONE will get the training within the next 2weeks. The advantage to doing it earlier is not having to sit there during orientation for it. Orientation gets to be a drag with some of the useless lectures so its one less thing to deal with.

so wat u all gettin? Do we get a tuning fork when we join some club?...i remember reading it when i was sending out da checks. So when we get those odoscope things...do we also have to buy the plastic things that actually goes in the ear?

drguy22 said:
so wat u all gettin? Do we get a tuning fork when we join some club?...i remember reading it when i was sending out da checks. So when we get those odoscope things...do we also have to buy the plastic things that actually goes in the ear?

You don't need a tuning fork. Chances are, someone in your Core group will have one, and you can just borrow it. I never used it, and it wasn't tested on the OCSE. Maybe I'll need it this year, but I doubt it. It might be the most worthless device you are "required" to get.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy the standard reflex hammer. The "Buck Neurological Hammer" has the brush and pin point, but the latter is on the standard hammer, not to mention the fact that the neuro hammer has such a tiny surface, it's nearly impossible to use. You will be lucky if you get the patellar reflex and you will never get the more difficult (read: made up) reflexes, like brachioradialis, without the big flat head on the standard hammer.

I have the pan-optic ophthalmoscope, but I rarely used it. However, it is INFINITELY easier to see the fundus of the eye with it. I recommend buying it if only for the practice of seeing the back of the eye.

That list that Dr. Boyd gives out seems so manditory at Orientation, especially when the 3M and the Welch-Allyn reps come and tell you how necessary their products are to physicians and if you don't get them now you will never get the deals and OH MY GOD HOW WILL I AFFORD 1,500 DOLLARS WORTH OF SUPPLIES?!?!? See? Panic. Just relax and realize that you won't fail Core or your Preceptorship if you don't have all the stuff by the date they say you have to have it. But do buy the things, because it's really important to practice, and, to be honest, I don't really know where i would go to get a ophthalmo/otoscope kit.

To recap:

Stethoscope = MANDATORY
Oto/ophthalmoscope = as close to mandatory as you can get
Reflex hammer = get the regular one
Tuning fork = Don't even bother. They sell them at the bookstore so there.

i agree with 4ever about the tools. gotta buy a stethoscope - honestly doesn't matter which kind. you will need an otoscope/opthalmoscope. i bought the pan-optic and it is very cool. don't know how much i'll use it, but wow, it's cool...i do recommend picking up a copy of pocket maxwells to use as reference (in the bookstore for ~$10)

btw, orientation is petty painless/passive, they actually cut it down by a day this year. outside of the lectures, it's basically food and talking to your new classmates. and vital signs training on the 13th is actually fun.

drguy22 said:

your otoscope will come with a few plastic sleeves, then you're on your own to "acquire" extras (every exam room has them).

Thanks a lot for all of the advice guys, much appreciated

thanks a millions 4 the advice....

another question...do u guys recommend a medical bag to hold our stuff? the list we have has a multipocket med bag for $51.00 or can we get one of those from the bookstore?

im gonna try to place the order monday....thnx.

drguy22 said:
thanks a millions 4 the advice....

another question...do u guys recommend a medical bag to hold our stuff? the list we have has a multipocket med bag for $51.00 or can we get one of those from the bookstore?

I didn't get a "medical bag" and i don't know anyone who did. If you want to get one so you can keep all your stuff in the same place, then go for it, but really, you're not carrying most of it around...ever...and the things that you are (sthethoscope....reflex hammer, maybe....Maxwells' Pocket Guide) you can keep in the pockets of your white coat.

I don't know if you can get one of them from the bookstore, but I'm sure you can get one from one of the medical equipment websites at a later date if you don't buy one but decide you want one at a later date.

thnx...i dont think ill buy it..

but this sux...this stuff is costin me $$$$1001, thats nuts....o well... :eek:

drguy22 said:

Place your order monday??? I'm confused, I thought we were supposed to wait till orientation week to buy from the dealers at school. I was under the impression that they will have a stand where they will sell everything and you test it out, pick out what you want, order it, and get it right on the spot. If I'm wrong let me know so I can place my order as well, thnx.

thehomez66 said:
Place your order monday??? I'm confused, I thought we were supposed to wait till orientation week to buy from the dealers at school. I was under the impression that they will have a stand where they will sell everything and you test it out, pick out what you want, order it, and get it right on the spot. If I'm wrong let me know so I can place my order as well, thnx.

they provided us with the price sheet from cornell surgical...it seems to be the cheapest of all that i have seen.

I dont know if u will get the things on the spot...if thats the case..i can wait too...anyone wit previous experience know ? daisy, dococ? 4ever?

thnx...