Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drguy22

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think its time to make this thread....itll be a nice place to get to know future classmates and who will also be attending the luncheons (one coming up Jan 7th, 2005), housing, etc etc.....

i wish one of the mods could make this a sticky:)

o ya ...IM THE FIRST :)

Members don't see this ad.

drguy22 said:
I think its time to make this thread....itll be a nice place to get to know future classmates and who will also be attending the luncheons (one coming up Jan 7th, 2005), housing, etc etc.....

drguy22
dryo12

I'm pretty sure I'll be going here... I have heard from most of the schools I applied to, and NJMS is the only one who has accepted me. :)

I won't be able to make it to any of the January things though :(, I'll be studying abroad.

Members don't see this ad :)
drguy22 said:

Wow, I must be tired or something I read the title of this thread as Ninjas.

/real ultimate power

where is everyone else....whos goin to the luncheon Jan 7th? :thumbup:

Hey folks,

I'm 99% sure that I'll be going to NJMS.... so, uhh, yeah.

hi.

Umm, well I work in a neuroscience lab at NJMS at the moment (part of my "year-off, gotta do something useful with myself mantra") ...and I commute there every morning from Hoboken, which btw is a _fantastic_ place to live.

So anyway, I might have at least a little bit of insight into what it's like living/working in and around Newark if anyone is thinking about that stuff already.... i'm sure I'll end up voicing all sorts of opinions on the matter at some point anyway, whether asked or not :)

All my mail gets sent to my parents house up near Morristown and I've been to lazy to go get it recently... so is the luncheon actually at the NJMS Health Science building on the 7th? ...or do we have to show up somewhere off campus?

dbpatto said:
Hey folks,

I'm 99% sure that I'll be going to NJMS.... so, uhh, yeah.

hi.

Umm, well I work in a neuroscience lab at NJMS at the moment (part of my "year-off, gotta do something useful with myself mantra") ...and I commute there every morning from Hoboken, which btw is a _fantastic_ place to live.

So anyway, I might have at least a little bit of insight into what it's like living/working in and around Newark if anyone is thinking about that stuff already.... i'm sure I'll end up voicing all sorts of opinions on the matter at some point anyway, whether asked or not :)

All my mail gets sent to my parents house up near Morristown and I've been to lazy to go get it recently... so is the luncheon actually at the NJMS Health Science building on the 7th? ...or do we have to show up somewhere off campus?

Jan 7th ,Medical Science building u gotta RSVP they said u can do it by email.... so its [email protected] no later than Jan 5.

and ya i plan on living somewhere up there..how far is hoboken from NJMS...?? ima gonna start lookin for apts sometime this month..

how did you guys get notified about this luncheon on the 7th? I was accepted to NJMS but havent heard about this yet.

also, isnt the RWJ luncheon on the same day?? Its bad enough having to decide between the two, now I gotta decide which luncheon to go to? :laugh:

hey,

i'm still interviewing at other places, but i got into njmed and loved it! hello, possible future classmates. ez-something, did you take orgo over the summer at shu?

chickamok

drguy22 said:
Jan 7th ,Medical Science building u gotta RSVP they said u can do it by email.... so its [email protected] no later than Jan 5.

and ya i plan on living somewhere up there..how far is hoboken from NJMS...?? ima gonna start lookin for apts sometime this month..

My commute to NJMS from Hoboken takes me ~25-30 minutes every morning. Coming home can be 30-60 minutes depending on the traffic. (Most often it takes about 35, but very occassionally there's an accident or something, in which case you'll spend the 30 minute or so beating your head against the steering wheel in frustration.)

Distancewise Hoboken is about 8 miles away from Newark.

that parkway can be killer.

do most students live right near campus? like in Society Hill or Ironbound?

From what I understand, most students live outside of Newark. If students do live here though, they live in Society Hill. (Not that I think the area is really all that dangerous, but there's just not much to do in Newark. It would be pretty miserable living there I think. *shrug*) The majority of students live in surrounding towns and commute 20-30 minutes in.

The commute from Hoboken/Jersey City doesn't touch the parkway or Turnpike though. Route 1 and 9 will take you straight to campus. As will Route 580 to 280... all major Holland Tunnel traffic is heading the other direction during both rush hours too, so it's really not all that bad a commute.

ChickAmok said:
hey,

i'm still interviewing at other places, but i got into njmed and loved it! hello, possible future classmates. ez-something, did you take orgo over the summer at shu?

chickamok

i think you were talking to me...but no I didnt take orgo at shu this summer. was someone by the name EZ in your class? thatd be a cool name

so how did people find out about this luncheon?...im starting to think my acceptance was just a dream!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been accepted at NJMS. I was really impressed with the school but am not 100% sure that I will be attending. I have not heard anything about the luncheon in January. Did you guys the invite via snailmail or email?

vcatz said:
I have also been accepted at NJMS. I was really impressed with the school but am not 100% sure that I will be attending. I have not heard anything about the luncheon in January. Did you guys the invite via snailmail or email?

snailmail i got it yesterday and sent my RSVP in today

drguy22 said:
snailmail i got it yesterday and sent my RSVP in today

Thanks - got it in the mail today.

BGGA said:

just got it too...its the same day as RWJ, except this one ends at 2 and that one starts at 3....hmmm

dbpatto said:
My commute to NJMS from Hoboken takes me ~25-30 minutes every morning. Coming home can be 30-60 minutes depending on the traffic. (Most often it takes about 35, but very occassionally there's an accident or something, in which case you'll spend the 30 minute or so beating your head against the steering wheel in frustration.)

Distancewise Hoboken is about 8 miles away from Newark.

I would so just take the path if I were you. It's so cheap, brings you right to Newark, and runs every half hour 24 hours a day! Also for those nights you don't feel like going home and just going into the city, just skip hoboken and continue on down the line! :)

so the Question is........who will u guys choose?? RWJ or NJMS :)

an hour part? you guys are gonna go to both luncheons aren't you? haha thats funny, just don't decide to go to both schools. i need one of those spots. haha. hopefully i won't get waitlisted.

bgreet said:
I would so just take the path if I were you. It's so cheap, brings you right to Newark, and runs every half hour 24 hours a day! Also for those nights you don't feel like going home and just going into the city, just skip hoboken and continue on down the line! :)

The Path trains ain't so simple I'm afraid... The Path doesn't run directly from Hoboken to Newark. (I thought it did too when I moved here.)

There is a Path train straight from Newark into World Trade Center though... it just doesn't stop in Hoboken.

To commute via rail from Hoboken to Newark one would have to 1.) possibly take the light rail or bus to the path station. (most apartments within reasonable walking distance to path are ridiculously expensive) Then 2) take a path train from Hoboken to Journal Square in Jercey City. From there at Journal square one would 3.) take a path train to Newark. And _then_ one have to 4.) take the UMDNJ bus from Penn Station in Newark. I've considered it, and 4 forms of public transportation would be a pain in the arse :)

So if anyone wanted a quicker rail ride to Newark, they would have to find a place to live in or near Journal Square in Jersey City. (Which is also a pretty nice place these days... just not as much stuff to do there as Hoboken.)

Anyway hope this helps a bit :)

I think you could also catch a train from Grove St. in Downtown Jersey City. It runs straight to Newark without the need for stops or so the PATH website says. The neighborhood in DJC is not bad either plus it's way close to a mall. I'm probably heading in to NJMS myself so hope to see ya'll at the luncheon.

Can you guys give me some advise on hotels and closeby airports (I am not from NJ)

I would also like to know anything about the school such as curriculum, USMLE average scores, surrounding neighborhood etc.

Thank you guys.

Yea it's kinda ******ed how NJMS and RWJ have their luncheon thing on the same day. Oh well, I'll be at the NJMS one anyways. See you guys there.

Is anyone going to set up a day at NJMS with the admissions office for a 2nd look type thing? The letter mentioned something like this. I'll probalby do this since I won't be able to go to the luncheon.

EZV32 said:
just got it too...its the same day as RWJ, except this one ends at 2 and that one starts at 3....hmmm

That a strange coincidence :rolleyes: I would certainly go to both an hour is enough time in between. Now all i need is an ACCEPTANCE from RWJ and I would be set! :)

#1SDNer said:
Can you guys give me some advise on hotels and closeby airports (I am not from NJ)

Thank you guys.

Well the most convenient airport to go to is Newark International.

Umm, there's a Marriot on the airport grounds which would probably be about a 20-25 minute taxi-ride to NJMS. I had to stop at the hotel once for diections... yeah. Good stuff.

ok so whos goin to the luncheon on Jan 7th?

#1SDNer said:

I would also like to know anything about the school such as curriculum, USMLE average scores, surrounding neighborhood etc.

Thank you guys.

curriculum is as follows for the 1st semester -

Gross anatomy + embryology
MGM - biochem + genetics (+ some molecular)
Core - which is a physician preceptorship (1x per week) and small group class

2nd semester -

Physio + histo
Mind/behavior/function

the surrounding area is not as bad as people think. society hill is literally across the street. about 1/3 of the students live there - some move out eventually to other areas but from what i have seen, its too convenient to do that. I personally like being able to walk home after lab, throw off the damn scrubs and grab some food before coming back to study. its not like u have to worry about traffic (ITS ACROSS THE STREET!!).

it takes me about 5-6minutes of a quick walk to get from door to door - sure beats the 15min of driving in and looking for parking

4 Ever said:
curriculum is as follows for the 1st semester -

Gross anatomy + embryology
MGM - biochem + genetics (+ some molecular)
Core - which is a physician preceptorship (1x per week) and small group class

2nd semester -

Physio + histo
Mind/behavior/function

the surrounding area is not as bad as people think. society hill is literally across the street. about 1/3 of the students live there - some move out eventually to other areas but from what i have seen, its too convenient to do that. I personally like being able to walk home after lab, throw off the damn scrubs and grab some food before coming back to study. its not like u have to worry about traffic (ITS ACROSS THE STREET!!).

it takes me about 5-6minutes of a quick walk to get from door to door - sure beats the 15min of driving in and looking for parking

u know wat the USLME avg is? u like the new curriculum? im def goin to njms...jus wanna know..i already know the admin is GR8!

drguy22 said:
u know wat the USLME avg is? u like the new curriculum? im def goin to njms...jus wanna know..i already know the admin is GR8!

number that i know of from 2001 were that USMLE step 1 scores were 218 (RWJ 220) and 212 NJMS for step 2 (216 for RWJ)

the curriculum isn't really that bad. We were the first class to run through it and there were just a few bumps but all in all, its not bad.

The only qualm most students had with the curriculum was that we weren't as ready for MGM when it started (it started 1 month later). I suppose most people were used to having to focus on anatomy the whole time that it took some time to adjust to the other class. though the bigger reason was probably that with a 1month late start, this meant a lot of material covered really really fast - even for a med school pace (on top of a fairly detailed anatomy unit). I believe this was going to be adjusted for next year. The advantage you guys would have if NJMS sticks to their current curriculum is that when you start, the 2nd years will be able to give you advice on how to handle it all. The 2nd years this year weren't familiar with this curriculum so it was tough to advise us, though some advice they gave was great.

Did they switch neuroanatomy and microbio/immuno for MS1?

temp.gif

4 Ever said:
number that i know of from 2001 were that USMLE step 1 scores were 218 (RWJ 220) and 212 NJMS for step 2 (216 for RWJ)

the curriculum isn't really that bad. We were the first class to run through it and there were just a few bumps but all in all, its not bad.

The only qualm most students had with the curriculum was that we weren't as ready for MGM when it started (it started 1 month later). I suppose most people were used to having to focus on anatomy the whole time that it took some time to adjust to the other class. though the bigger reason was probably that with a 1month late start, this meant a lot of material covered really really fast - even for a med school pace (on top of a fairly detailed anatomy unit). I believe this was going to be adjusted for next year. The advantage you guys would have if NJMS sticks to their current curriculum is that when you start, the 2nd years will be able to give you advice on how to handle it all. The 2nd years this year weren't familiar with this curriculum so it was tough to advise us, though some advice they gave was great.

I heard the USMLE avg for 2003 was 228...but tat was just sumthin i heard...so i was tryin to confirm tat.....

When I asked Heinrich about the mean step 1 scores for NJMS students he said "we are consistently above the average." So I'm assuming because he didn't give me a number it prolly means they are only slightly above the average. I mean if they were significantly higher, I'm sure he woudl have given a number. But then again he may have assumed I have no idea what the scoring is like since I'm no where near that point in my medical education.

blz said:
When I asked Heinrich about the mean step 1 scores for NJMS students he said "we are consistently above the average." So I'm assuming because he didn't give me a number it prolly means they are only slightly above the average. I mean if they were significantly higher, I'm sure he woudl have given a number. But then again he may have assumed I have no idea what the scoring is like since I'm no where near that point in my medical education.

isnt the avg like 210? or sumthin like tat

X.O. said:
Did they switch neuroanatomy and microbio/immuno for MS1?

I believe they have - Unless they change something between now and april, MBB (mind, brain, behavior) is the next class for the 2nd semester after physio/histo is over

slightly above the avg is pretty consistent with what I have heard - the average usmle score is around 215.

the 228 number seems a bit exaggerated. Maybe the person meant 218 instead of 228?

I interviewed the last week before thanksgiving...and I still haven't heard anything from NJMS. Just curious if I'm the only one who hasn't heard diddly.

you shud be hearing something during the first week of january

NeverGettingIn said:
I interviewed the last week before thanksgiving...and I still haven't heard anything from NJMS. Just curious if I'm the only one who hasn't heard diddly.

I interviewed about three weeks before you, and I haven't heard anything either. I stopped by the admissions office to ask just yesterday, and all they said was: "No decision yet." This was, of course, after they told me I had to be patient and wait 6-8 weeks. ("So when did you interview?" "Over 8 weeks ago.") Oh well.

ok so noone here is goin to the luncheon????

I was invited for an interview on Jan 7th but I'm seeing that theres a luncheon. So what does that mean? Has the class of 09 been selected already?

6ft3dr2b said:
I was invited for an interview on Jan 7th but I'm seeing that theres a luncheon. So what does that mean? Has the class of 09 been selected already?
hmmm..tats interestin.....there mite be a few spots open....but i think that most will be interviewing for a ranked waitlist....HOPEFULLY it will move in may.

drguy22 said:
hmmm..tats interestin.....there mite be a few spots open....but i think that most will be interviewing for a ranked waitlist....HOPEFULLY it will move in may.

last year at the luncheon they told us that most spots were filled and they were just interviewing for the waitlist. don't be discouraged by this because there were different faces at the may luncheon compared to the jan one.

still make sure to make a great impression !! good luck and congrats to the incoming class

So... "business casual" for the luncheon, eh?
Does that mean wear a tie? I hate getting dressed up.

drguy22 said:

My experience with the waitlist last year was that (this from the mouth of Dr. Heinrich last March) the waitlist isn't formulated or ranked until sometime after the 15th of May. So if you've been waitlisted, my best guess is that you'll be thrown in with all the other waitlisters and reevaluated sometime in early to mid may. You'll just have to sit tight for a while before you'll hear anything.

dbpatto said:
So... "business casual" for the luncheon, eh?
Does that mean wear a tie? I hate getting dressed up.
yup i think u gotta wear a tie....

you dont need to wear a tie for business casual...just no jeans, no t-shirts/sweatshirts/fleeces, no sneakers

I had my interview just before christmas on Dec. 21st, and was wondering how long it would take to receive a reply from the admissions office? How long did you guy's have to wait to hear back after your interview. I heard of cases were people heard within 2 -3 weeks post interview.

I understand that their is a lunch tomorrow for the accepted students so far. If someone could post back of what they hear, that would be great. I really hope the class is not full, cause NJMS is really my top choice.