Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oo fyi...dont buy the bates book for the physicians core from the publisher even though ur gettin 10% off...they charge u 9.99 for shipping. Rather get it at bn.com...free shipping and u can use the $5 off coupon: use this coupon code..VBY947N its 5 bucks cheaper.

Members don't see this ad.

drguy22 said:
they provided us with the price sheet from cornell surgical...it seems to be the cheapest of all that i have seen.

I dont know if u will get the things on the spot...if thats the case..i can wait too...anyone wit previous experience know ? daisy, dococ? 4ever?

thnx...

Unless things have changed since last year, you definitely won't get the equipment on the spot (You probably don't really need them until a while later anyhow since preceptorship and the physical exam part of core doesn't start for a while). What we did last year was order the products during orientation but going to the tables and checking out what they had. After filling out the order (credit cards acceptable - i forget if many paid by check but I paid by cc), you wait a few days and then they come back to the school when all the orders are ready. You go back to the tables and they give your bag full of stuff.

I agree with Dr.Octopus about the reflex hammer. The neurological hammer is good for the built in brush and pin but the head on the hammer is kind of small. The traditional triangular one is probably better for testing reflexes. As for the bags, get one if you want to just keep stuff together since most people didn't really bring all their stuff with them to precep. During rotations you'll just end up keeping stuff in the white coats anyways.

thnx again guys...

so heres wat im orderin...

Panoptic Opthalmoscope with MacroView Otoscope & lithium ion "smart handle"

master cardiology steth

hand model family prac kit -blood pressure

taylor percussion hammer

pocket eye chart

penlight wit aaa battery

look good?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd wait til orientation to buy the small stuff - last year the alumni association gave penlights to us, and you can always use the otoscope as a light, so save your $.

don't feel like you have to order early - everybody is in the same boat - you can order your stuff during orientation and wait for it to come in - they take checks and cc.

i didn't get the medical bag either. i don't think i've ever had to cart all the stuff anywhere except home.

i agree about the reflex hammer - you can always use cotton for the brush and a broken tongue depressor for the pin.

it's a big chunk o' change...writing that check gave my hand a cramp and i got an instant headache when i thought about balancing my checkbook. :(

see some of you on thursday!!!!

daisyage said:
i'd wait til orientation to buy the small stuff - last year the alumni association gave penlights to us, and you can always use the otoscope as a light, so save your $.

don't feel like you have to order early - everybody is in the same boat - you can order your stuff during orientation and wait for it to come in - they take checks and cc.

i didn't get the medical bag either. i don't think i've ever had to cart all the stuff anywhere except home.

i agree about the reflex hammer - you can always use cotton for the brush and a broken tongue depressor for the pin.

it's a big chunk o' change...writing that check gave my hand a cramp and i got an instant headache when i thought about balancing my checkbook. :(

see some of you on thursday!!!!

its a HUGE chunk of change....$$1007 to be exact...o well...i think ill just order....i gotta part with the money someday...

drguy22 said:
its a HUGE chunk of change....$$1007 to be exact...o well...i think ill just order....i gotta part with the money someday...

I would strongly recommend against buying them right now. You don't know the quality of the instruments nor the proper ones to get (I forget about the handle for the ophthalmoscope but there was an upside to one of the types, i don't remember which one). The Welsch allen guys were extremely helpful and it was great to test out what we wanted before buying. Also, last year if you bought a set of things, they gave a rebate. During orientation you also get a pen light so seriously, just sit on your fingers and resist the urge to spend too much money before classes start. I understand everyones getting a little antsy waiting but theres a reason why everyone is suggesting waiting.

Whats the dress code for tomorrow?

No more summer hours I guess :( .

Axe said:
Whats the dress code for tomorrow?

No more summer hours I guess :( .

i doubt its formal....but im wearin jeans...