Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ba bump

Members don't see this ad.

Drguy and other NJ based folks-

I just got some bad news. I cannot take the 3rd of June off of work - two other folks in my department already did, so I've gotta stay. No housing day for me, I guess. :(

Would anyone be willing to meet with me on the 4th somewhere? Could you guys maybe pick up any handouts or info for me and just kinda review stuff? I would be more than willing to buy dinner or lunch for anyone's time, and of course, I would be deeply indebted. I'm in a perceived crisis because I will pay out of state costs if I don't get something set up for housing.

Any and all replies are appreciated!

dc

bigdan said:

I just got some bad news. I cannot take the 3rd of June off of work - two other folks in my department already did, so I've gotta stay. No housing day for me, I guess. :(

Would anyone be willing to meet with me on the 4th somewhere? Could you guys maybe pick up any handouts or info for me and just kinda review stuff? I would be more than willing to buy dinner or lunch for anyone's time, and of course, I would be deeply indebted. I'm in a perceived crisis because I will pay out of state costs if I don't get something set up for housing.

dc

i would if i could....but im comin up from DC the night b4 and driving back the next day. If you called the student affairs office, im sure that will send you all the required info. and we can always fill you in on what was said verbally. although one sad part is that you wont be gettin any breakfast, lunch or ice cream...lol :cool: dont worry...ull be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
drguy22 said:
just got June 3rd invite....housing session, tour, luncheon, and ice cream social....all on da same day...lol..im goin. :cool:

Sweeet! An ice cream social...that'll be fun.....are you guys gonna go on the tour again? We've all been on it twice already (interview, 1st luncheon)...cant wait guys, see ya there!

Blue Scrub said:
Sweeet! An ice cream social...that'll be fun.....are you guys gonna go on the tour again? We've all been on it twice already (interview, 1st luncheon)...cant wait guys, see ya there!

I didn't make it to the first luncheon, so it'll be my 2nd tour. Hey, it's a way to hang out with the other incoming M1s. :) I'm really excited about all this, guys. Breakfast, lunch, and ice cream!!!

Grrrrr....the excitement of others frustrates me further...

jk - have fun there all!

dc

bigdan said:

dc

Hey Dan,

I wasn't planning on going but since I'm at UMDNJ all day anyway, I'd be happy to pick up stuff for you. Do you just want information from the housing session? If so, let me know and I will RSVP for it.

:)
Untildawn-

Yup! That'd be great. Now...can I meet you in NJ at sometime to review, or what's the story on how I'll get the info - any related costs are on me - and that's for your kindness!!!!

THANK YOU!!

dc

bigdan said:
:)
Untildawn-

Yup! That'd be great. Now...can I meet you in NJ at sometime to review, or what's the story on how I'll get the info - any related costs are on me - and that's for your kindness!!!!

THANK YOU!!

dc

Hey Dan,

It's no problem really....I'm on campus literally all day, I could use a break
If you want, we can meet the next day or any day Mon-Thurs on campus to go over stuff. About 1 pm is best, it's during my lunch break.

UDbiochem said:
I didn't make it to the first luncheon, so it'll be my 2nd tour. Hey, it's a way to hang out with the other incoming M1s. :) I'm really excited about all this, guys. Breakfast, lunch, and ice cream!!!

That's true...just another chance to meet some future classmates and future M2's....no harm in going, 3rd time's always a charm :)

I wont be able to make anything and can only make it to NJ at the begining of August. Could you guys post all the information you can. It would be a big help, thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any of you guys get your financial aid packages yet?

Its reaching the point of ridiculousness now with less than a week to the official drop date.

Axe said:
Did any of you guys get your financial aid packages yet?

Its reaching the point of ridiculousness now with less than a week to the official drop date.
ya...i just got mine today...

30K..i guess they upped it. but u can borrow more up to 41K i think. The scholarship stuff prolly wont come out till the entire class is decided.

drguy22 said:
ya...i just got mine today...

30K..i guess they upped it. but u can borrow more up to 41K i think. The scholarship stuff prolly wont come out till the entire class is decided.

the humanism scholarships have been awarded i believe, since i know people who've gotten them already...

untildawnbreaks said:
the humanism scholarships have been awarded i believe, since i know people who've gotten them already...

shoot..how many u know tat got em?

untildawnbreaks said:

Do you know by what criteria the scholarship is awarded? Do we have to fill out an application for it? Can you guys tell me of any scholarships currently available to us please?

drguy22 said:
IM DONE!!!! NO MORE UNDERGRAD!!!! :cool: :cool:

Congrats!! Sorry this is late, I missed this post....so how long do you have until NIH starts?

Congrats to the people who got the scholarships! I don't know any personally, but you rock if you're reading this.

Congrats to the people done with undergrad... argh. I have my thesis defense on this friday and then finals in a couple weeks... almost there....

UDbiochem said:
Congrats to the people who got the scholarships! I don't know any personally, but you rock if you're reading this.

Congrats to the people done with undergrad... argh. I have my thesis defense on this friday and then finals in a couple weeks... almost there....

Yup, congrats to everyone! UDbio good luck with the defense and those finals, Im sure you'll be fine... your freedom is just around the corner!!

Blue Scrub said:
Congrats!! Sorry this is late, I missed this post....so how long do you have until NIH starts?

NIH starts May 23:) i leave May 21. i cant wait!!!

UD..hang in there :cool: ur almost there! ill wait for ya at the finish line... :cool: :laugh:

OK, well I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now and I'm sure it's on everyone's mind in some degree or another - it is the question of housing for NJMS. I'm not neccessarily worried about where to live though - I've been in this area for a while and am fairly certain that I'm going to live in Montclair.
What I'm most concerned with is finding a roommate - living alone just seems too expensive. Does anyone know how this stuff normally works out? - is there any regimented process for those of us who are looking for roommates on housing day?

(I'll admit that I'm also a bit apprehensive about the prospect of meeting someone on housing day, talking to 'em for a few minutes and asking them to live with me. Anyone else feel this way? I haven't lived with someone random since freshman year of college, and that was 7 years ago!)

Any thoughts?

db-

I'm somewhat apprehensive, but how did they pair you for your undergrad roommate? At my alma mater, we showed up and had someone. At least you'll get to chat with folks now...but I do share you concern - especially if you've been living alone for the last while (as I have too). It'll work out.

Group-
It's fully official. Today I sent in my withdrawls from the other schools I was accepted to. UMDNJ-NJMS Class of 2009! I'm gonna go ahead and change this sig of mine.

What does a Humanism Scholarship give a recepient? I think the VERY best gig I've ever heard of is one at Stony Brook - get this - full ride PLUS 14K/yr stipend. How would that make you feel? I was, unfortunately, an alternate (read: non-recipient). Oh well.

dc

bigdan said:
db-

I'm somewhat apprehensive, but how did they pair you for your undergrad roommate? At my alma mater, we showed up and had someone. At least you'll get to chat with folks now...but I do share you concern - especially if you've been living alone for the last while (as I have too). It'll work out.

Group-
It's fully official. Today I sent in my withdrawls from the other schools I was accepted to. UMDNJ-NJMS Class of 2009! I'm gonna go ahead and change this sig of mine.

What does a Humanism Scholarship give a recepient? I think the VERY best gig I've ever heard of is one at Stony Brook - get this - full ride PLUS 14K/yr stipend. How would that make you feel? I was, unfortunately, an alternate (read: non-recipient). Oh well.

dc

full ride plus about 1300/month stipend.....there are 10 of these...i want one:)

drguy22 said:
full ride plus about 1300/month stipend.....there are 10 of these...i want one:)

wow....that sounds almost....unfair! congrats to anyone who gets one or to everyone who has gotten them!

There are other significant scholarships besides the Humanism one, no?

I think that there has to be other money...

Good luck to all...

dc

Here's a curveball - Stony Brook calls me today and awards me the very Fellowship that I'd mentioned a few posts previous (tuition waiver and 10K/yr) and asks me to answer on Monday.

Anyone else interview at NJMS and Stony Brook? NJMS is a better choice, right? I guess I know that I have to answer that, but I almost wish I hadn't known about the SUNY money...good "problem" to have, I guess...

dc

bigdan said:
Here's a curveball - Stony Brook calls me today and awards me the very Fellowship that I'd mentioned a few posts previous (tuition waiver and 10K/yr) and asks me to answer on Monday.

Anyone else interview at NJMS and Stony Brook? NJMS is a better choice, right? I guess I know that I have to answer that, but I almost wish I hadn't known about the SUNY money...good "problem" to have, I guess...

dc

Whoa, congrats! I think the two schools are comprable. Med school is med school (I think)! That's a pretty sweet deal with Stony Brook.

bigdan said:

dc

o my..so are u leaving us now?

bigdan said:

dc

Wow that is awesome, congrats! So yeah a minor dilemma on your hands....I agree with UDbiochem, from what I've heard, I think both schools are pretty comparable in many ways.... As much as it would be great for you to come to NJMS, that is a hard deal to turn down from Stonybrook....Im not sure what your financial situation is or anything, but if I were in your shoes, I hate to say it, but I would have to take it....both are good schools and unless you think you have an almost definite chance at the Humanism Scholarship from NJMS, I'd say accept Stonybrook's offer....unless you're totally set on going to NJMS no matter what, well I wont argue with you there!

o umm..btw..i talked a VERY VERY reliable source today and he told me that there werent any scholarships awared as of the beginning of the week... :D

drguy22 said:
o umm..btw..i talked a VERY VERY reliable source today and he told me that there werent any scholarships awared as of the beginning of the week... :D

dk is full of ****

drguy22 said:
hahaha...y??

dont buy into his lies...im surprised you didn't figure this out yet.

blz said:
dont buy into his lies...im surprised you didn't figure this out yet.
i dunno man..he hasnt lied to me yet....wat did he lie to you bout?

I have no idea what you two are talking about, but if someone said there are no scholarships out, that person is mistaken.

Good luck to all.

dc

bigdan said:
I have no idea what you two are talking about, but if someone said there are no scholarships out, that person is mistaken.

Good luck to all.

dc

did ya get one?

Hey DC, be the man, take the money from SUNY and open up a spot for my waitlisted arse at NJMS :) I think the 2 schools are on basically the same level.

did any of you guys check out that housing website from NJMS? I havent had a chance to look at my email until now, and I guess I will check out the site tonight...

Blue Scrub said:
did any of you guys check out that housing website from NJMS? I havent had a chance to look at my email until now, and I guess I will check out the site tonight...
check my post above... :cool:

Cam-

Ask and you shall receive. I will release my spot.

drguy-

Not a Humanism one. 25k/yr "from the Dean". No stipend attached; I'm not entirely sure what it's for, but it's going back into the pot.

Good luck guys.

dc

bigdan said:
Cam-

Ask and you shall receive. I will release my spot.

drguy-

Not a Humanism one. 25k/yr "from the Dean". No stipend attached; I'm not entirely sure what it's for, but it's going back into the pot.

Good luck guys.

dc
:( good luck.

hi,

i'm headed to njmed! i'm stoked! i've already made my posting on the housing list and i think i'm going to drive around the school and check out places to live over the weekend...

chickamok
njmed class of 2009/10
(i want to do the joint md/mph)

ChickAmok said:
hi,

i'm headed to njmed! i'm stoked! i've already made my posting on the housing list and i think i'm going to drive around the school and check out places to live over the weekend...

chickamok
njmed class of 2009/10
(i want to do the joint md/mph)
welcome... :cool:

we have a smart one on our hands...

so now tat ur official..u gotta do a few things....

change ur signature:) and give this thread a 5...:) :laugh: thnx :thumbup:

btw..i think im the kid of the class....20 yo..i doubt there is anyone younger than me...lol be nice :laugh: