Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
drguy22 said:
welcome... :cool:

we have a smart one on our hands...

so now tat ur official..u gotta do a few things....

change ur signature:) and give this thread a 5...:) :laugh: thnx :thumbup:

btw..i think im the kid of the class....20 yo..i doubt there is anyone younger than me...lol be nice :laugh:

dr guy--one of the smeds will only turn 20 in oct or november...since he'll be 19 till then, i think he's officially the class baby

Members don't see this ad.

19 years old? Doogie Howser M.D.

Man, I'll be 25 by the time things get under way... you guys are making me feel like an old man.

untildawnbreaks said:
dr guy--one of the smeds will only turn 20 in oct or november...since he'll be 19 till then, i think he's officially the class baby
shoot..lol. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
dbpatto said:
19 years old? Doogie Howser M.D.

Man, I'll be 25 by the time things get under way... you guys are making me feel like an old man.

Dont worry I'll be 25 as well when we start...but I look like I could still be a soph in college :)

Blue Scrub said:
Dont worry I'll be 25 as well when we start...but I look like I could still be a soph in college :)

I'd rather be 25 than 19 and in med. school...if you're under 21, you miss out on all the post-exam festivities...

untildawnbreaks said:
I'd rather be 25 than 19 and in med. school...if you're under 21, you miss out on all the post-exam festivities...
hahaha..i know...ill be 21 towards the end of december....ill be missin 5 months of fun :(

untildawnbreaks said:

Good point...although i think a lot of students have house parties where your age prob wont be an issue...but true they wont be able to get into the bars...unless they have fake IDs!!

drguy22 said:
hahaha..i know...ill be 21 towards the end of december....ill be missin 5 months of fun :(

drguy, you skip a grade when you were a kid?
I turned 21 junior year of college - and I think I was young for my class.

Don't know if I'll be able to keep up with all these smart young people. Heheh.

dbpatto said:
drguy, you skip a grade when you were a kid?
I turned 21 junior year of college - and I think I was young for my class.

Don't know if I'll be able to keep up with all these smart young people. Heheh.

nah i didnt skip a grade...my parents put me in private school to save me a year, and then I also finished college in 3. so tats y im the age i am. :cool: and im not smart :laugh: just avg.

ok guys..who hasnt voted for this thread yet!!?

drguy22 said:
nah i didnt skip a grade...my parents put me in private school to save me a year, and then I also finished college in 3. so tats y im the age i am. :cool: and im not smart :laugh: just avg.

ok guys..who hasnt voted for this thread yet!!?

I'm 22, in the middle of 25 and 20. :p You are young drguy! We'll just all have to take you out in December.

Since dc left us, does that mean someone else gets offered the same scholarship? Or does that mean it just drops off the face of the earth?

UDbiochem said:
I'm 22, in the middle of 25 and 20. :p You are young drguy! We'll just all have to take you out in December.

Since dc left us, does that mean someone else gets offered the same scholarship? Or does that mean it just drops off the face of the earth?

i want it!!! 25K/yr would be nice:)

:eek: how did we go from a 4.0 to a 3.7 in out rating???!!!

UDbiochem said:

I thought he was only offered a scholarship at Stonybrook? Was he offered the Humanism scholarship from NJMS as well??

Hey Guys,

New to the thread here - I've been decided on NJMS since the end of March, and have been checking this out a bit since then - now that I'm finally home for the summer and a lot less busy I thought it would be cool to say hello to my new classmates!

I'll be at the luncheon on June 3, except I'll probably skip the housing part in the morning since my roommates and I are already working on lining up a place in Society Hill.

Oh yeah - the scholarship thing I've noticed a lot of people talking about - I got one of the non-humanism ones, called the Dean's Academic Excellence Scholarship, for 25K a year - probably the one I saw someone mention earlier. Completely unexpected, and my pre-med advisors at TCNJ were just as shocked as I was. Go figure!

One more thing - how do I make a signature?

Members don't see this ad :)
PiccplayerMD said:
Hey Guys,

New to the thread here - I've been decided on NJMS since the end of March, and have been checking this out a bit since then - now that I'm finally home for the summer and a lot less busy I thought it would be cool to say hello to my new classmates!

I'll be at the luncheon on June 3, except I'll probably skip the housing part in the morning since my roommates and I are already working on lining up a place in Society Hill.

Oh yeah - the scholarship thing I've noticed a lot of people talking about - I got one of the non-humanism ones, called the Dean's Academic Excellence Scholarship, for 25K a year - probably the one I saw someone mention earlier. Completely unexpected, and my pre-med advisors at TCNJ were just as shocked as I was. Go figure!

Welcome Piccplayer! Congrats on the scholarship that is awesome! So that's cool you already have roommates and you'll be living in Society Hill. How many roommates are you living with, and how did you find them already? As you can see, most of us are still trying to figure out where we're going to live and if we're going to have roommates or not....

To make a signature, go to "User CP" in the upper left toolbar, then go to "Create Signature" or something like that.

Blue Scrub said:
Welcome Piccplayer! Congrats on the scholarship that is awesome! So that's cool you already have roommates and you'll be living in Society Hill. How many roommates are you living with, and how did you find them already? As you can see, most of us are still trying to figure out where we're going to live and if we're going to have roommates or not....

To make a signature, go to "User CP" in the upper left toolbar, then go to "Create Signature" or something like that.

Thanks! I'm living with 2 guys I went to undergrad with. We've been in touch with an second-year who went to TCNJ and his landlord, and he has a few places he'll be showing us in the near future. We looked around in Newark back in April, and decided that we definitely wanted to go for Society Hill for at least the first year.

Anyway ... I can definitely say that if I didn't have a pretty firm housing situation already set up, I'd be pretty apprehensive myself. It'll be my first apartment, since I dormed all 4 years of college, so it's a pretty big deal

Best of luck to everyone in the housing search, and see you all in June!

PiccplayerMD said:
Hey Guys,

hey man whats up..welcome to the class:) congrats on the scholarship...i wish i would get one...o well. man..im gettin excited...its getting closer and closer and closer.....were gonna be MD's. Damn, I never believed I could make it this far...but here I am...hahaha..im still on cloud 9. :cool:

hey Picc, when did you hear about ur scholarship and how did they let you know? thnx.

drguy22 said:
hey man whats up..welcome to the class:) congrats on the scholarship...i wish i would get one...o well. man..im gettin excited...its getting closer and closer and closer.....were gonna be MD's. Damn, I never believed I could make it this far...but here I am...hahaha..im still on cloud 9. :cool:

hey Picc, when did you hear about ur scholarship and how did they let you know? thnx.

Hey drguy,

I heard toward the end of March. Dr. Heinrich called me personally, and then he sent me a letter in the mail. I'm not sure when they started awarding them or if they still are ... until I got the phone call I didn't even know they had scholarships!

PiccplayerMD said:
Hey drguy,

I heard toward the end of March. Dr. Heinrich called me personally, and then he sent me a letter in the mail. I'm not sure when they started awarding them or if they still are ... until I got the phone call I didn't even know they had scholarships!

thnx Picc...nah they are prolly done with the 25K ones but i know there are lower ones like 8-10K range...i hope they are still doin that! the higher ones are prolly just to convince the undecided to come to the school...however, in my case, I am obligated too (no complains though) cuz i did BA/MD (early assurance). I already got a 1000 from a the middlesex county medical association...but more would be nice:)

lol..now im gettin worried as to how im gonna keep up wit all the brains in the class...LOL :laugh:

PiccplayerMD said:
Hey drguy,

Congrats Piccplayer, and welcome to the NJMS thread!

Looks like I'll be living at home the first year... I'm doing the math and things don't look good. Sigh.... I'm still coming to housing day though to see what's out there (and meet everyone!!). I'll just save a lot of money by living at home and commuting (at first at least).

UDbiochem said:
Congrats Piccplayer, and welcome to the NJMS thread!

Looks like I'll be living at home the first year... I'm doing the math and things don't look good. Sigh.... I'm still coming to housing day though to see what's out there (and meet everyone!!). I'll just save a lot of money by living at home and commuting (at first at least).

UD- from where would you be commuting? i live in Old Bridge, about 30 miles away, but if you factor in traffic, ect it would be a nightmare. Financially, you are eligible to get the full 41K in loans. But, if you are like 15 min away, then forget it and live at home.

drguy22 said:
UD- from where would you be commuting? i live in Old Bridge, about 30 miles away, but if you factor in traffic, ect it would be a nightmare. Financially, you are eligible to get the full 41K in loans. But, if you are like 15 min away, then forget it and live at home.

Bergen County, less than 20 miles away... I've been in and out of Newark a bunch of times and timed it... 15 minutes - 20 minutes without traffic, with traffic more like 30 minutes. So it's doable... at leats for the first year. I'm sure for third year when I'll have to be closer I'll live closer.

I'm trying to get away with the least amount of debt possible. (I know, I'll pay it back...) I've decided that I really want to do medical missions fulltime (Drs without borders, etc..) and want to pay off debt as fast as possible so I can head out. Living at home for the first year or so will cut my expenses considerably. If I can get outta debt a few years earlier, it'll be worth commuting.

Doesn't mean I won't be able to party with you guys though! Just means I'll live a little farther away, get a little angry at traffic, fed good/free food, and free laundry.

UDbiochem said:
Doesn't mean I won't be able to party with you guys though! Just means I'll live a little farther away, get a little angry at traffic, fed good/free food, and free laundry.

i hear ya..i commuted for undergrad...free nice :cool: car, free food, free laundry, free money, lol

I escaped undergrad relatively debt free..bout 10K, which isnt bad considering some have over 60K in debt. most is it is subsidized, so no interest either:) only like 1500 is with interest.

and ya if your only 20-30 min away, your fine:)

Thinking about how much I'll be in debt after school is over, living at home doesnt seem like such a bad idea....all the free stuff and all....but that's not really an option for me considering I live 1 hour away (w/traffic) in Central Jersey....so for those of you living at home dont think it too bad of a thing, you really are saving a lot of money doing it.....

PiccplayerMD said:
Hey drguy,

yay you're posting!!! get steve to post too!!!
<3 trish

Hey guys,

Tried looking around the school's website, but I didn't find much or didn't look in all the right places. Does anyone know, besides the white coat ceremony, what goes on during orientation, and when our first day of classes actually is?

Just curious.

hey piccplayer,
is your signature from genealogy of morality? just curious

davidthegnome said:
hey piccplayer,
is your signature from genealogy of morality? just curious

It's an Elie Wiesel quote. Not sure where it originally appeared, but I heard it from my eighth grade english teacher when we read Night.

PiccplayerMD said:
Hey guys,

Tried looking around the school's website, but I didn't find much or didn't look in all the right places. Does anyone know, besides the white coat ceremony, what goes on during orientation, and when our first day of classes actually is?

Just curious.

ya..we prolly get our ID cards, get our books, a whole bunch of "your in med school now" lectures. prolly more...and out first day of classes is august 17...EXACTLY 3 months from today. :cool:

cool, yeah i just thought that bc i think neitzsche go into it somewhere with nobilities attitude toward peasants.

PiccplayerMD said:
It's an Elie Wiesel quote. Not sure where it originally appeared, but I heard it from my eighth grade english teacher when we read Night.

Nice signature :thumbup:

i forget if we asked the current NJMS students on this board or not...but ill ask again anyway...did you guys have PDA's your first year? Do you think that we should buy one now, or just wait till 3rd year?

drguy22 said:
i forget if we asked the current NJMS students on this board or not...but ill ask again anyway...did you guys have PDA's your first year? Do you think that we should buy one now, or just wait till 3rd year?

On the same note, do you think laptops are important to buy first year as well? Or can one live without it, without it being too much of a hassle?

Blue Scrub said:
On the same note, do you think laptops are important to buy first year as well? Or can one live without it, without it being too much of a hassle?

PDA's are a "requirement". That being said, most of us hardly even use our PDAs. It was cool initially because we all felt we would get organized but we really dont use it much. Supposedly, for preceptorship you will have to enter the patient data through the PDA and sync it online but you can just go to the website and enter the data manually. So short answer, NO u don't need it. Just save the money for one during 3rd year or until you really feel as if u need it.

regarding computers, laptops are convenient but u won't be at a disadvantage if you don't have one. Some people like having them, others can do without them. Its a personal preference on this one

4 Ever said:
PDA's are a "requirement". That being said, most of us hardly even use our PDAs. It was cool initially because we all felt we would get organized but we really dont use it much. Supposedly, for preceptorship you will have to enter the patient data through the PDA and sync it online but you can just go to the website and enter the data manually. So short answer, NO u don't need it. Just save the money for one during 3rd year or until you really feel as if u need it.

regarding computers, laptops are convenient but u won't be at a disadvantage if you don't have one. Some people like having them, others can do without them. Its a personal preference on this one

Cool 4Ever, thanks for the reply! If I have enough money I'll prob try and buy a laptop....if not maybe I'll just get a new desktop...either way I need a new comp

4 Ever said:

hmmm....i have a graduation gift still pending from my parents......so..maybe ill have em buy me a PDA:) save me the $400... :laugh:

thanx 4Ever

anybody know Dr. Heinrich's mailing address? thanx

camisho said:
anybody know Dr. Heinrich's mailing address? thanx
New Jersey Medical School
Office of Admissions, Room C-653
185 South Orange Avenue
PO Box 1709
Newark, NJ 07101-1709

I would add attn: Dr. Heinrich.

Time for a bump :)

A question for current NJMSers: Have you known any students at NJMS who have had their car stolen or broken into while at the school or at wherever they live? My one friend who graduated NJMS in 2003 and is now an anesthesiology resident in CA, lived in South Orange and had his car stolen, an Acura Integra....so Im kinda wondering since I'll have my car up there too...

heres the addy for heinrich directly (not the admissions office):
George F. Heinrich
185 South Orange Ave., MSB, Room C-654
PO Box 1709
Newark NJ 07101

i got this off of his card i picked up during my interview

hmm, well i just noticed the po box is the same so maybe it does go to the admissions office. it is a different room however..

I sent a final transcript to NJMS do I have to send one to AMCAS as well? Thanks.

iferg17 said:
I sent a final transcript to NJMS do I have to send one to AMCAS as well? Thanks.

nope..just NJMS. nice to meet ya...welcome to the class...a bit shy are we? :cool:

hey everyone,

i have a ques...hopefully drguy can help :)

how long does it take for the hepatitis results to come in from your dr? i'm having my physical on the 25th...so that doesn't leave me much time to get everything in.

do i have to wait for any other results or just that one?

untildawnbreaks said:
hey everyone,

how long does it take for the hepatitis results to come in from your dr? i'm having my physical on the 25th...so that doesn't leave me much time to get everything in.

results comeback within 3 days (now if your doctor isnt on top of his/her game, then could take you a bit longer to get them back to YOU, he/she probably will still have them)

untildawnbreaks said:
hey everyone,

i had all the titers done(varicella,MMR), and the results can be obtained within 24-48 hrs if the doctor calls the lab to see the results STAT. thats how I got em. MAKE SURE IT IS QUANTITATIVE!!! or they gonna give u problems. :cool:

Current NJMSers: Please check out my previous post in this thread, its an important question!! Thanks!! :)

Blue Scrub said:
Current NJMSers: Please check out my previous post in this thread, its an important question!! Thanks!! :)

hey

i'm c/o 09 but i'm from newark and in my experience, car theft has depending on 3 things:

1. where you're parked
2. what you're driving
3. if your car is manual or stick

i cant wait till 2morrow..NIH HERE I COME!!! :D :cool:

btw..how do you make ur mom stop crying....??? a lil help here pls..lol this is the first time im leavin the house....

untildawnbreaks said:
hey

i'm c/o 09 but i'm from newark and in my experience, car theft has depending on 3 things:

1. where you're parked
2. what you're driving
3. if your car is manual or stick

Cool...so from what I've heard from the news and stuff....I know Hondas, especially Civics and Accords, are pretty popular cars to be jacked....which is bad because Im either taking a Civic or an Accord to school this year....

As far as manual or stick, which gets stolen more? I would guess manual? My car will be automatic...

Blue Scrub said:
Cool...so from what I've heard from the news and stuff....I know Hondas, especially Civics and Accords, are pretty popular cars to be jacked....which is bad because Im either taking a Civic or an Accord to school this year....

As far as manual or stick, which gets stolen more? I would guess manual? My car will be automatic...

cars are stolen for parts mostly - theres much more money to be made from them. So, people would only need parts for older cars since how many times does a 2005 accord need a new transmission? So, if youre driving a car made in the early to mid 90s, you're more likely to be hit. Same goes for popular cars such as civics, accords, camry's, corollas etc

Also, realize that the average thief does not drive manual so ure SLIGHTLY less likely to be targeted for car theft but this does not mean it cant happen to you (sometimes they just tow the car).

So like it was stated earlier, park with a club (itll deter the thief but its not a guarantee they wont steal it) and use common sense. Thats ALL you can really do. Aside from that, its just a lot of bad luck if you get hit.