***Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this week, I gave up my OOS interview that was scheduled for later this month due to finances and a couple of acceptances already. It was a really tough decision to make as Marquette is a great school. I hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview invite this afternoon (#2). I had zero expectations of hearing anything for quite some time but I'm not complaining! I was given two possible interview dates in January, with a morning slot and an afternoon slot for both days.

OOS (Indiana)
GPA (science, overall): 3.45, 3.53
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below 17): 24/23/20/23/none below 17

My stats are quite similar and I will be applying this upcoming cycle! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are quite similar and I will be applying this upcoming cycle! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?

Be verified before September 1st honestly. Their website says they would like to see apps in before September. They send all their invites like the second week of september so it’s best to be early and on time.

Best of luck with the next round of acceptances. I believe the last set went out on January 9th, and the deadline is only 15 days. The next set will go out soon!

Best of luck with the next round of acceptances. I believe the last set went out on January 9th, and the deadline is only 15 days. The next set will go out soon!
Isn't the deadline a month from when the acceptances are sent out?

Isn't the deadline a month from when the acceptances are sent out?
The first ones are. All the ones that follow are 15 days. It would be incredibly inefficient to only send out acceptances once a month when they need to set up the alternate pool in March (all accepted people have to get immunizations and paperwork in order, which can take several months if things need to be redone). Then the acceptances sent out after April 1st are the alternate pool individuals' best friend. That is the point where everyone who reserved a seat at more than one school is forced to make a decision.

EDIT (because I can admit when I'm wrong): After 15 days, they decide who to send additional offers to. While I cannot truly say whether or not it is 15 or 30 days (those accepted on January 9th will have to say), it seems like they start picking from the candidate pool halfway through the deadline.I guess they assume that if you really want to attend Marquette, you'll reserve your seat at the beginning of the deadline rather, than the end. Offers seem to consistently get sent out every two to three weeks in the months of January and February.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I did some hunting through last year's thread to get a general idea of the timelines for this one.

2021 Thread:

People posted that they were accepted off of the waitlist on the following days: December 19, January 6 and January 11.

Hold emails sent out on: December 2.

People posted that there were additional interviews held on: January 20, February 17 (PESP program) and February 23 (post-Bacc. program).

People posted about being rejected without interview on: February 22.

People received invitations for the alternate pool (which also asks you to put a $1000.00 deposit down, but it is refundable if you end up not getting accepted) on: March 19.

Do note that days could be missing from last year's thread, since only a small fraction of those interviewed or those that applied were active in the thread. Also note that the process seemed to be a bit of a mess last year. They were doing interviews much later than usual and more offers than usual were sent out.

2020 Thread (significantly fewer people in this thread and replies stopped in April):

People said acceptances went out on: November 30.

People said rejections were sent out on: November 30.

Waitlist and Hold emails sent out on: December 1st.

People said they were accepted off of the waitlist on: January 13.

People said additional interviews were held on: February 22.

Alternate pool emails went out on: March 3.

People said that the year prior, people were accepted out of the alternate pool on: April 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
During my hunt, I also found this.

"ALTERNATE POOL FAQ’s

1. What is the alternate pool? How is it different from being on “hold”?

Marquette has 100 spaces in its incoming dental class. Each one of those spaces has now been reserved by a student via a nonrefundable deposit. Should one of those paid students choose to decline their space, the Admissions Committee will turn to the alternate pool to find another candidate to fill that vacancy. This is different than being on “hold”. If you are informed that you are still on “hold”, that means that the Admissions Committee has not yet made a final decision on your file, but will do so in a subsequent meeting. This final decision could be an acceptance, rejection, or invitation to be in the alternate pool.

2. What is my rank in the alternate pool?

The alternate pool is an unranked pool of candidates. If/when a vacancy occurs, the Admissions Committee will reconvene and determine which candidate they would like to invite into the class.

3. Can I send updates to my credential file? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting in?

At any time, you can send in updates to your record and we will place them in your file. If you would like to send in additional letters of recommendation, updated transcripts, new DAT scores, or other supporting documentation, we will see that it is placed in your file.

4. How many students are in the pool?

There are generally at least 75 candidates in the alternate pool. There is both a resident and a non-resident alternate pool. Should we lose a resident, we will take a resident alternate; should we lose a non-resident, we will take a non-resident alternate.

5. How many people get pulled from the alternate pool into the class?

There is no way of knowing how many students will be taken from the alternate pool in any given year. In recent years, it has been anywhere from zero to ten candidates.

6. What is the selection process if a space in the class opens?

If a vacancy occurs in the class, the Admissions Committee will convene and review files of everyone in the alternate pool. Once a candidate is selected, he/she will initially be contacted by phone. The candidate will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer at that time. Should the candidate decline the space, his/her check will be returned. If the candidate chooses to accept the space, he/she will be sent a contract to sign and return. When Marquette University School of Dentistry receives the candidate’s signed contract, we will process their check and it will become their $1,000 nonrefundable deposit, which will be applied toward their first term’s tuition.

7. When will these vacancies occur?

Vacancies can occur anytime between the creation of the alternate pool and the first day of Orientation, generally the last week in August.

8. When will my check be cashed?

If there are no vacancies in the class, or if you are not selected for acceptance, your check will never be cashed. It will remain in your file until September, at which time we will return it to you. If you decline a space in the class, or at any time no longer wish to be a part of the alternate pool, we will return your check immediately upon your request. The only circumstance under which your check will be cashed is if you return a signed contract indicating your intent to become a member of the incoming class."

So are all the in-state spots filled? And does that mean that all the IS on waitlist are done for?

I got invited for the PESP interviews also. The email was definitely serendipitous. Does anyone know how many people they would potentially accept from this pool?
I was in the PESP pool last cycle. They should say in the email how many seats they have for it. Last year, they had 12 people interview for 5 seats. The pool is usually 10 to 12 people, so your odds of getting into dental school increase dramatically with this program. The program typically consists of 10 people total, but some seats are given to pre-December interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the 19th and my status on AADSAS just changed to "waitlisted" but I did not receive an email about anything. Kinda disappointed. Anyone else have a similar situation?

Last edited:
So are all the in-state spots filled? And does that mean that all the IS on waitlist are done for?
It's not likely that EVERY in-state seat is filled. However, even if they were, on April 1st everyone that reserved a seat at more than one school is required to pick one. I'm sure at least a few of the in-state people will choose to go elsewhere for one reason or another. The only time you should abandon all hope is if you get rejected.

Yes, i interviewed January 19. I was waitlisted earlier this week...maybe they just waitlisted everyone who interviewed?

Yes, i interviewed January 19. I was waitlisted earlier this week...maybe they just waitlisted everyone who interviewed?
They do automatically waitlist all those who interviewed. It seems as though we will all have to wait a couple of months for the class to fill, then rejections will be sent out after they populate the alternate pool.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm doing my Marquette research and I have a question if anyone knows the answer to it, I would be grateful.

Does Marquette really require Summer sessions every year for students? I'm looking over the curriculum and it looks like there are 2 week breaks between each semester, and the summer semesters appear to be mandatory. Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks

So I'm doing my Marquette research and I have a question if anyone knows the answer to it, I would be grateful.

Does Marquette really require Summer sessions every year for students? I'm looking over the curriculum and it looks like there are 2 week breaks between each semester, and the summer semesters appear to be mandatory. Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks
I'm fairly certain that almost all dental schools have summer sessions each year, with the exception of one year.

When should wait-listed in-staters expect to receive some sort of correspondence? Friends and I haven't heard anything since initial Dec. 1 decision.. :\

Thanks

Yes there is a summer session! it is just part of their regular curriculum. So you should know that there is summer term you will need to attend D1-D3 year!

officially got the waitlist email today. Kind of disappointed :(

Interviewed January 26th and got the acceptance call from Brian on Tuesday- he said there were a few more calls he had to make this week

When should wait-listed in-staters expect to receive some sort of correspondence? Friends and I haven't heard anything since initial Dec. 1 decision.. :\
Last year, the waitlist people received rejections in mid-March when the alternate pool was put together. It's safe to assume that if you don't receive an acceptance by March 1st, you're either going to be one of the 75 to 100 people in the alternate pool (and you still have a chance of getting accepted), or you will be rejected.

Rejected without interview. I'm curious if anyone who had their app submitted in September even received an interview. Good luck to those interviewing and congrats to all on their acceptances!

Rejected without interview. I'm curious if anyone who had their app submitted in September even received an interview. Good luck to those interviewing and congrats to all on their acceptances!
Got my email of rejection today too, I applied SUPER late so not surprised. Good luck to everyone else still in the pool!

Rejected without interview. Good luck to all!

Was your application put on hold?

Rejected w/o interview. OOS. App complete early July. Hold email on Dec 1st.

Has anyone else still not heard anything since they got a hold email in December? This waiting is killing me

MU mainly focuses on applications submitted from June to August. Those people get interviews.

Has anyone else still not heard anything since they got a hold email in December? This waiting is killing me
I'm IS and interviewed in November then got put on hold Dec 1st. Ive been waiting ever since for a decision.

I'm IS and interviewed in November then got put on hold Dec 1st. Ive been waiting ever since for a decision.

Sorry, what does "on hold" mean exactly? It's different than waitlisted?

Just be prepared everyone.

People who have interviewed but do not get placed in the alternate pool will receive their rejections at some point between late February and mid-March. This isn't to discourage you, it's just so that you're at least expecting it. I'd personally rather not be surprised when and if I receive mine.

To those invited to be in the alternate pool, you WILL have to pay a $1,000 deposit to reserve your alternate pool seat. This is refundable if you end up not getting accepted. So be prepared for that and have one thousand dollars handy in the next six weeks if you get put in the alternate pool.

So I was put on hold in December and I have not received an interview. However I didn’t get a rejection yesterday. Is there still any hope for me?

So I was put on hold in December and I have not received an interview. However I didn’t get a rejection yesterday. Is there still any hope for me?
They may be keeping you in the pool of potential interviews if the upcoming interviews and rounds of acceptances don't look promising. It'd be a dangerous play to eliminate everyone that hadn't been interviewed, then do three more interview days and have that be it. They have to have at least 75 people to populate the upcoming alternate pool and the class is not yet officially filled. It seems more likely that they are thinning the applicant pool as decisions become more and more final. There is still some hope, but don't mistake it for an interview invite guarantee. They may just be sending out rejections in waves, just as they continue to send out acceptances in waves.

No I havnt done anything. I figure I would be a bother because they always seem so busy.
That's probably a good call. I reached out several times (email and calls) without any responses from them, and now I just feel like I was unprofessional/ annoying in their eyes.

That's probably a good call. I reached out several times (email and calls) without any responses from them, and now I just feel like I was unprofessional/ annoying in their eyes.[/QUOTE

Just be sure the call actually is for substance and not just to check application status. I called many times. They’re very nice people in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.