***Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted811127

Since the new application cycle has opened, I wanted to go ahead and start this thread for those applying to be a part of the class of 2022 at Marquette University's dental school. I applied last year, so if you have any questions about interview preparation or how Marquette goes about interview cycles, feel free to ask.

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just applied to Marquette! Were you OOS or a Wisconsin resident? Any tips for interviews? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just applied to Marquette! Were you OOS or a Wisconsin resident? Any tips for interviews? Thanks in advance!

I interviewed as an out-of-state applicant.

I have a few tips for new applicants that actually apply to most schools.

1. Read up on the school's program. It is very likely that you will be asked how this school differs from others that you applied to. I got this question at all of my interviews. Thus, I recommend finding one or two things that the school's program offers that you like, then practice explaining why this is important to you. Research goes a long way. You'd be surprised how few people that get interviewed know anything about the program.

2. Practice answering "How would you describe yourself?" Seems simple, but this is actually a difficult question to answer. You need to be able to sum yourself up in 1-3 sentences in a way that stands out from other applicants and leaves the interviewer with a good impression of you. It's good to figure this out in advance, but don't present it to the interviewer as if you are just reiterating a line. Practicing this will help you answer this question more confidently.

3. I recommend incorporating school colors into your interview outfit. This isn't particularly vital, but I bought interview outfits for each school I applied to. Nothing extreme. I had a royal blue blazer with black pants and black top with gold accessories. Looking cute and professional was important to me.

4. AND OMG THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! COME WITH QUESTIONS! Even if you already know the answer, ask! Whether it be about FAFSA deadlines, kinds of loans, average distance students travel to get to class, etc... Just ask. Like at a job interview, asking questions further supports that you did research on the school or business and some bits of information need clarification. Do not be that one person who, during the student panel, sits there and asks nothing. It makes you seem uninterested.

5. Come prepared to discuss your weaknesses in your application, like poor subsections of the DAT (less than 17), low semester GPAs on your transcript, lack of shadowing hours (I had more than 100 shadowing hours and they still said I didn't have many...?), etc. and what you will do to better yourself despite those weaknesses. We all have weaknesses somewhere. No one has an absolutely perfect application.

6. Be sure to smile. Body language sends messages that may resonate more than actual words. I know this may be difficult, but a future dentist should have a confident smile. Flaunt them pearly whites! This makes you seem more enthused to be there AND it makes you seem more confident and approachable.

I know Marquette starts sending out interview invites in September, but don't be discouraged if you don't get invited early. I didn't interview until February (people who applied to dental school as disadvantaged may not be interviewed until the end of the interview process).

Here are some useful links for application help and interview preparation that I used and found helpful:

9 things to bring on an interview
9 things to bring on an interview | Mouthing Off | Blog of the American Student Dental Association

Tips for the ADEA AADSAS Application
https://www.asdanet.org/index/get-i...l-school/tips-for-the-adea-aadsas-application

Crafting Your Personal Statement
https://www.asdanet.org/index/get-i...ental-school/crafting-your-personal-statement

Hope this helps! :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! That was super helpful. I wouldn't have thought to wear the school's colors to the interview, but that's a fun and unique way to stand out. Plus, it gives you a little confidence boost going into the interview. (Look good, feel good. Right?) And I definitely agree, research on the school and being able to communicate effectively goes a long way. Did you end up attending Marquette? Thanks for the links, too! I will check those out.

How soon after you applied did it take for Marquette to email you that they received your app or send you the supplemental fee?

How soon after you applied did it take for Marquette to email you that they received your app or send you the supplemental fee?
Last year, I submitted my application on June 23rd and received the email regarding the supplemental application on July 7th.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! That was super helpful. I wouldn't have thought to wear the school's colors to the interview, but that's a fun and unique way to stand out. Plus, it gives you a little confidence boost going into the interview. (Look good, feel good. Right?) And I definitely agree, research on the school and being able to communicate effectively goes a long way. Did you end up attending Marquette? Thanks for the links, too! I will check those out.
I was placed into the alternate pool for Marquette's PESP program. It's a rigorous three-month program that they have that basically makes sure that a handful of students who had less than ideal credentials or applied as a disadvantaged student are prepared enough to enter dental school. It's basically to help their transition. It's a program that they reserve 10 of the 100 seats each class for. I believe they interviewed 12 people for these 10 seats specifically, the rest go into a designated alternate pool. 5 of the seats were already taken by the time that I interviewed for the program, so I think they may place some of the initial interviewees into the program as well. This designated alternate pool was only valid until June 19th.

Reactions: 1 user
I will also point out that a handful of people that applied will appear as wait listed for several months. My application said this from December until February. Do not be discouraged. So long as you don't get the email telling you that you got rejected (which will not go out until December 1st) you can still get interviewed. You just may be interviewed during the later interview sessions, or they will have you interview for one of the Pre-Enrollment Support Program (PESP) seats.

Last year, I submitted my application on June 23rd and received the email regarding the supplemental application on July 7th.

Ok great tnhank you so much for letting me know. I submitted about that same time as well so I was just worried that they didn't receive it. But some other schools I have applied too haven't emailed that they received it either but other did so kind of 50/50. But I heard some schools start reviewing early while others are late to do so

Ok great tnhank you so much for letting me know. I submitted about that same time as well so I was just worried that they didn't receive it. But some other schools I have applied too haven't emailed that they received it either but other did so kind of 50/50. But I heard some schools start reviewing early while others are late to do so
If it's your first time applying, try not to constantly look at the application multiple times a day every day. I did that last year and it just made me anxious about every step of the process for months (not exaggerating. I checked EVERY SINGLE DAY, MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY. I did that from June until May, when I got my offers). Most of the application process is a waiting game, so don't worry. They always receive the application stuff from the application website. The only time you need to worry if they got something or not is when your status for that school reads "Received/Waiting Additional Information".

Hey guys/gals,

I thought I read somewhere MArquette does not have supplementals this year, other than the processing fee of $45?

If it's your first time applying, try not to constantly look at the application multiple times a day every day. I did that last year and it just made me anxious about every step of the process for months (not exaggerating. I checked EVERY SINGLE DAY, MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY. I did that from June until May, when I got my offers). Most of the application process is a waiting game, so don't worry. They always receive the application stuff from the application website. The only time you need to worry if they got something or not is when your status for that school reads "Received/Waiting Additional Information".

Ok great, thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Hey guys/gals,

I thought I read somewhere MArquette does not have supplementals this year, other than the processing fee of $45?
I don't think they've had an actual supplemental application in years. It is just a fee. my apologies for referring to the fee as the supplemental application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys been sent the fee yet? My app was submitted and verified a while ago and I havent been sent the email to pay the fee.

Submitted my app June 21st. Got an email that day that my application was received and also told me how to pay the supplemental fee. Paid it that day and received a receipt via email.

1. Read up on the school's program. It is very likely that you will be asked how this school differs from others that you applied to. I got this question at all of my interviews. Thus, I recommend finding one or two things that the school's program offers that you like, then practice explaining why this is important to you. Research goes a long way. You'd be surprised how few people that get interviewed know anything about the program.

2. Practice answering "How would you describe yourself?" Seems simple, but this is actually a difficult question to answer. You need to be able to sum yourself up in 1-3 sentences in a way that stands out from other applicants and leaves the interviewer with a good impression of you. It's good to figure this out in advance, but don't present it to the interviewer as if you are just reiterating a line. Practicing this will help you answer this question more confidently.

3. I recommend incorporating school colors into your interview outfit. This isn't particularly vital, but I bought interview outfits for each school I applied to. Nothing extreme. I had a royal blue blazer with black pants and black top with gold accessories. Looking cute and professional was important to me.

4. AND OMG THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! COME WITH QUESTIONS! Even if you already know the answer, ask! Whether it be about FAFSA deadlines, kinds of loans, average distance students travel to get to class, etc... Just ask. Like at a job interview, asking questions further supports that you did research on the school or business and some bits of information need clarification. Do not be that one person who, during the student panel, sits there and asks nothing. It makes you seem uninterested.

5. Come prepared to discuss your weaknesses in your application, like poor subsections of the DAT (less than 17), low semester GPAs on your transcript, lack of shadowing hours (I had more than 100 shadowing hours and they still said I didn't have many...?), etc. and what you will do to better yourself despite those weaknesses. We all have weaknesses somewhere. No one has an absolutely perfect application.

6. Be sure to smile. Body language sends messages that may resonate more than actual words. I know this may be difficult, but a future dentist should have a confident smile. Flaunt them pearly whites! This makes you seem more enthused to be there AND it makes you seem more confident and approachable.

I know Marquette starts sending out interview invites in September, but don't be discouraged if you don't get invited early. I didn't interview until February (people who applied to dental school as disadvantaged may not be interviewed until the end of the interview process).

Here are some useful links for application help and interview preparation that I used and found helpful:

9 things to bring on an interview
9 things to bring on an interview | Mouthing Off | Blog of the American Student Dental Association

Tips for the ADEA AADSAS Application
https://www.asdanet.org/index/get-i...l-school/tips-for-the-adea-aadsas-application

Crafting Your Personal Statement
https://www.asdanet.org/index/get-i...ental-school/crafting-your-personal-statement

Hope this helps! :3

Hi! This was so helpful, thank you so much. What do you mean by those who applied as disadvantaged not getting interviewed until the end of the process? I applied as disadvantaged but how does that affect our ability to do well in dental school?

Mine is under review. However, you don't think I'll hear about an invite until September?
Also guys no supplemental it says on AADSAS this year

Mine is under review. However, you don't think I'll hear about an invite until September?
Did you pay the $45 fee? I think some of us here haven't received an email yet regarding that

Hi! This was so helpful, thank you so much. What do you mean by those who applied as disadvantaged not getting interviewed until the end of the process? I applied as disadvantaged but how does that affect our ability to do well in dental school?

When you fill out your application, there is an option to apply as disadvantaged, meaning an underrepresented minority applicant, or someone who fits at least one of the criteria for being considered disadvantaged (like low income, single parent household, working during college, etc.) Not all disadvantaged applicants get interviewed at the end of the process, but Marquette has a set program for them. They get funding by enrolling a certain number of students in the program just to make sure people don't struggle. Some disadvantaged applicants get in without this designated program, some get in purely because of the program. Here is what little information they offer on it:

Pre-enrollment Support Program: Dentistry // Health Careers Opportunity Program // Marquette University

It's to maintain disadvantaged student enrollment. If people who struggled one way or another get a small taste of what dental school will be like, they are less likely to struggle later and drop out. Programs like this are actually found at a number of the dental schools in the country.

They start interviewing the in-state and out-of-state people at the same time. Their first interviews are always sent at the beginning of the second week of September. They will send out invites from there as they do interviews every two weeks. Someone last year posted this useful breakdown for applicants.

• Approximately, there would be a rough total of a little over 2,000 applications total.
    • Out of the 2,000 applications, approximately 150-160 would be in-state applications.
  • By the time that they are ready to send out interview invitations, she said that there would be approximately 140 in-state applications complete and ready for an interview.
    • They are going to offer 92 in-state interviews out of the 140 applications.
  • Out of the 92 in-state interviews, they would offer 50 in-state acceptances on December 1st.

When you fill out your application, there is an option to apply as disadvantaged, meaning an underrepresented minority applicant, or someone who fits at least one of the criteria for being considered disadvantaged (like low income, single parent household, working during college, etc.) Not all disadvantaged applicants get interviewed at the end of the process, but Marquette has a set program for them. They get funding by enrolling a certain number of students in the program just to make sure people don't struggle. Some disadvantaged applicants get in without this designated program, some get in purely because of the program. Here is what little information they offer on it:

Pre-enrollment Support Program: Dentistry // Health Careers Opportunity Program // Marquette University

It's to maintain disadvantaged student enrollment. If people who struggled one way or another get a small taste of what dental school will be like, they are less likely to struggle later and drop out. Programs like this are actually found at a number of the dental schools in the country.

Ya I applied as disadvantaged and know about the program they have before school officially starts, I just didn't know that they set those interview dates apart from the others for later on. Thanks for the clarification!

They start interviewing the in-state and out-of-state people at the same time. Their first interviews are always sent at the beginning of the second week of September. They will send out invites from there as they do interviews every two weeks. Someone last year posted this useful breakdown for applicants.

• Approximately, there would be a rough total of a little over 2,000 applications total.
    • Out of the 2,000 applications, approximately 150-160 would be in-state applications.
  • By the time that they are ready to send out interview invitations, she said that there would be approximately 140 in-state applications complete and ready for an interview.
    • They are going to offer 92 in-state interviews out of the 140 applications.
  • Out of the 92 in-state interviews, they would offer 50 in-state acceptances on December 1st.
Wait so like they wait for majority if people to sense in applications then let everyone's know at the same time? That's odd. Most schools are more rolling interview invite basis

Wait so like they wait for majority if people to sense in applications then let everyone's know at the same time? That's odd. Most schools are more rolling interview invite basis
Most invites go out on December 1st, but a vast majority of the people who interviewed early had great credentials and got accepted at other schools. I'm guessing that's why they were still doing interviews so late this past year. They need enough people to not only fill the class, but also fill the alternate pool.

The handful of people who will see their status changed to "Waitlisted" on December 1st are those that were not rejected early, but can still have a chance to be interviewed based on how the initial offers go. It's a waiting game at that point. -.-

I'm not sure if it was a mistake, but last year a friend of mine was wait listed at Marquette without even interviewing. Personally, I had never heard of that happening before.

I'm not sure if it was a mistake, but last year a friend of mine was wait listed at Marquette without even interviewing. Personally, I had never heard of that happening before.
No, I was the same. They waitlisted a lot of people on or around December 1st. My status stayed that way until February, then I interviewed. They did that to everyone that they didn't reject. So I guess they liked our application enough to not reject us outright, but not enough to interview us early. The other 5 people at my UIC interview said they they, too, had been waitlisted by Marquette.

Just submitted my application. I know they accept a lot of midwesten kids (a lot from Illinois, some from Indiana- where I'm from). Hopefully everything goes well!

Has anyone received an email for the supplemental application yet? I paid my supplemental fee over 2 weeks ago...

Has anyone received an email for the supplemental application yet? I paid my supplemental fee over 2 weeks ago...
On AADSAS it says that Marquette doesn't have a secondary

No supplemental application. Just sit back and wait for an interview invite.

No supplemental application. Just sit back and wait for an interview invite.

That is odd because they didn't even have you answer question on aadsas... I guess not having to fill out a supplemental app isn't the worst thing haha

That is odd because they didn't even have you answer question on aadsas... I guess not having to fill out a supplemental app isn't the worst thing haha
I think it's because supplemental applications just add more work for the admissions team. My interview was open-file, so I guess that they ask those invited for interviews everything that they would if their application had a set of questions.

Does anyone have any idea about what days interviews are at Marquette (week days? weekends?)? I live 9 hours away and was just trying to get an idea.

Just got the supp fee email and now "Under Review" :)

Okay, yeah, I'm seeing on last year's thread that the interviews spanned 4-5 weeks on most Fridays and Mondays basically the last weekend of September through first week of November.

They send interview invites starting around early-mid September.

Okay, yeah, I'm seeing on last year's thread that the interviews spanned 4-5 weeks on most Fridays and Mondays basically the last weekend of September through first week of November.

They send interview invites starting around early-mid September.
Invites go out well past November. It's moreso the first-choice people that get interviewed in those weeks.

Another very important tip for those who get invited for an interview anywhere. DO NOT refer to dental instruments as tools. They are instruments. I slipped up once during my Marquette interview and said tools and while I was mentally disciplining myself (one dentist I shadowed already drilled that rule into my head), my interviewer told me firmly not to call them that. Apparently they get super triggered when you say tools instead of instruments.

Another very important tip for those who get invited for an interview anywhere. DO NOT refer to dental instruments as tools. They are instruments. I slipped up once during my Marquette interview and said tools and while I was mentally disciplining myself (one dentist I shadowed already drilled that rule into my head), my interviewer told me firmly not to call them that. Apparently they get super triggered when you say tools instead of instruments.
am I doomed if I wrote tools like twice!!! :(

lol not at all. they're still tools. it's just personal preference. i've heard dentists call them tools and compare dentistry to other fields like carving etc. you're fine

You're not doomed. They expect that since we are applying to be students that we don't know. Just don't say it in an interview. You may get the one person who actually cares about the difference. It's embarrassing to have them call you out on it. If you're already nervous, you don't need soul-crushing embarrassment during an interview that may determine your future. At Marquette, the stickler is the older gentleman that isn't Brian. I found him more intimidating than cruel, though.

I'm guessing Marquette faculty took the whole week 4th of July week off? I applied a while ago, and my application is verified, but yet I haven't received any Supplemental fee link.

I'm guessing Marquette faculty took the whole week 4th of July week off? I applied a while ago, and my application is verified, but yet I haven't received any Supplemental fee link.
it'll come I'm sure just wait.

I received mine yesterday and I was verified 6/26 but I had problems with the payment gateway so I tried calling today to no answer, but they are working on stuff!

Does anyone know typically how many people get interviewed at Marquette (in-state, out of state)?

Does anyone know typically how many people get interviewed at Marquette (in-state, out of state)?

From the latest ADEA guide, they interviewed 96 out of 196 in-state applicants and 301 out of 2010 out of state applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.