Official Harvard 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello all,

I'll also be taking upper level bio courses (not 100% sure which ones yet). I landed a volunteer research position at children's hospital. I didn't want to work because it's hard to find part-time research positions. I'll do research for 10hrs/week and volunteer at a hospital for exposure for a few hours a week so that I can dedicate most of my time to course work.

For those looking for a hospital volunteer experience, check out the link below. Those who fulfill the time requirements are eligible for a letter of rec. Sounds like a pretty good program.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/volunteer/MCEP.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

hello all,

I'll also be taking upper level bio courses (not 100% sure which ones yet). I landed a volunteer research position at children's hospital. I didn't want to work because it's hard to find part-time research positions. I'll do research for 10hrs/week and volunteer at a hospital for exposure for a few hours a week so that I can dedicate most of my time to course work.

For those looking for a hospital volunteer experience, check out the link below. Those who fulfill the time requirements are eligible for a letter of rec. Sounds like a pretty good program.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/volunteer/MCEP.aspx

FYI, their elegibility requirements are pretty lax. Even though it lists being a full time student as one of the elegibility requirements, they told me that being enrolled in 2 classes (8 credits) was sufficient.

I am taking Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Intro Biology, and I am also interested in joining study groups. I was wondering, though, if you aren't a Diploma candidate, can you not use any of Harvard's libraries? Where do people usually study who aren't diploma candidates?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Intro Biology, and I am also interested in joining study groups. I was wondering, though, if you aren't a Diploma candidate, can you not use any of Harvard's libraries? Where do people usually study who aren't diploma candidates?

While many of you are not taking chemistry, I know that a great deal are taking physics. I already have a study group of 3 other people if you'd like to join onto that. You can PM me and we'll facebook it up.

Great question, though...if there are no library passes for us, perhaps there's a coffee shop in Harvard Square.

You don't need an ID for either the Science library or the HES library. I also heard from a previous HCP student that you can get a "reading room pass" to Widener Library. If you hold on to your registration, you can also study in the Law School lounge & cafeteria. Other places include the Education School and the Medical School (where you have to sign in, but you can get access). The only place you can't get into is Lamont Library. I heard Cafe Gato Rojo is also a good place to study. Hope this helps.

Hey everyone,

Glad to have found this thread! I'm also a career changer (living in quiet desperation as a business strategist) and will be driving up from NYC mid August to start Chem I and Physics. PM me if you would like to join a study group, I'll have a flexible schedule and am happy to help coordinate an email.

Also, I'm looking for housing, and haven't had too much luck on CL. Will reach out to some of you who have posted on the topic.

Good luck everyone, see you this fall!

-Michael

How much is it to register for the courses on HES? Do they charge the entire course fee when you register (for Orgo for example) or just the registration fee? When I registered for Expository Writing, I got charged for the entire course without an option to register first by paying just the registration fee. Any ideas?

To register for HES, you MUST pay in the full amount of the course and not just the registration fee. Yesterday, I registered for 3 courses but my expected financial aid covered most of it. In the end, I only ended up paying about $140 out of pocket.

I'm sure this has been answered, but are you financial aid eligible if you're not a diploma candidate, but still accepted into the HCP? Anyone know how long before the semester the financial aid deadline is?

yep, i fall in that category. i'm in the HCP program, but not a diploma student and i was able to get federal loans (no grant/scholarship money). the loans i got were barely enough to pay for tuition. diploma students are eligible for more aid. in terms of finaid deadlines, i have no idea. the priority dare was back on june 1. u should call the finaid office at 617-495-4293

I noticed that the HCP will only sponsor applications if you have completed all the requirements by the end of the summer during the year in which you apply. Does that mean I would be unable to receive sponsorship if I took Bio and Chem this fall/spring, Orgo in the summer, and then Physics next year if I plan to apply after I take Orgo and the DAT next Summer? Physics is not covered on the DAT and most schools will accept applications pending your completion of requirements prior to enrolling. Thank you for all of your help.

Hey guys,

Well, I feel silly for not looking on here before going up to find an apartment. So, I'm living with a security guard and a 7-Eleven clerk! But they seem very quiet, so all should be well.

Anyway, I've never posted before, so is anyone starting this year and doing Gen. Chem, Bio, and Physics at the same time? I'm going to try it, and am definitely wanting to get study groups together, maybe if there's more people doing all three we can form a group based off that perhaps? PM or reply works.

Also, does anyone know what book Anderson is going to use for E1a?, since Fixsen usually teaches it. I'm trying to get my books soon, because I studied Religion in undergrad and it's been a long time since I took any science classes. (24, career changer from St. Louis, MO, in case anyone is interested, or there's anyone else from MO...

Looking forward to getting up there and getting started!

Seth

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

After couple months of debating of whether I should work or go back to school to buff up my app... I finally decided to hit the books once again. I'll be attending HES this upcoming fall and will be using this program as a academic-enhancer.

With that said.... I need to find a place to live. lol.:laugh:

I'm a pretty easy going guy. I’m fun, respectful, well-mannered, clean/tidy, active and social person. Basically, I know when I need to buckle down to work and when to let loose.

If you are in the same boat as I then e-mail me at [email protected] so we discuss living arrangements, cambridge would be great, but anywhere on the redline would be fine as well.

Welp... Excited to see all of you guys soon!

Also, who is down to setup a DAT study group this upcoming semester? Let me know if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone else still have a room available for rent for the fall?

I'm down for a phys (and chem) study group. I think I remember hearing one of the unofficial hahvahd tour guides mention that you can get into the science library without an HUID. Have to go back and check dough.

Pictures of the house/ rooms

600/month +1/3 of the utilities

frontofhouse2.jpg

I'm renting a room in a house 3.5 blocks from Porter T stop (1 stop from Harvard on the red line) ( Summer st and Cedar St, Somerville MA if you want to google it), and we have several vacancies. There are two rooms on the 3rd floor, and possibly a third room on the 2nd floor. Rent should be in the 600 range. If you're interested, CC me when you contact Natasha, her email is cactuspancake and it's at-yahoo-dot-com (gotta throw off spam bots). I'm 25, about to start my second year in the HCP (I miss financial aid), she's 23, doing a Bio degree at the Extension School. We're fine with people who just want to rent for a semester rather than a full 12 month lease. Make sure you contact us both.
Also, you'll have access to a full bath and full kitchen on the 2nd floor.

The rooms on the third floor are pretty hot when it's hot outside. I would highly recommend getting a window air conditioner, or we could work something out about one of mine I'm thinking about trading out.

The staircase and the doorways to the third floor rooms are abnormally narrow. It's going to be difficult to get furniture up there unless it can be taken apart into much smaller pieces. The second floor room is a bit smaller but doesn't have any of these drawbacks. The third floor rooms are more private and standalone, and you don't have to walk through the main part of the house to get there, but the bathroom and kitchen are on the second floor.

There is no Cable/internet hook up on the third floor but you are welcome to use our wireless G/N connection. There is a telephone hookup. On the second floor there is cable/internet.

There is a ridiculous amount of storage space in the basement if you have extra stuff you don't want to put in the room. Also there is space for a bike. There is plenty of street parking in the area; we do have a driveway but we've already been playing musical cars with three cars.

(This is the second post about this vacancy; I didn't feel the first one was descriptive enough. Also pictures have been added.)

-Michael & Natasha

I am on the same boat as many of you, I haven't had much luck finding housing via CL :( I will be moving from California at the end of the month (my summer class doesn't end until the 20th). Is anyone in need of a roommate or interested in finding a place together? I am a career changer, I graduated from UCLA with a degree in International Development studies and French linguistics. I am easy-going, friendly, clean, studious but outgoing. PM me if you are interested.

See you all very soon :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So my lease starts on 9/1, I'm sure like everybody else. However, class begins on 8/30. What are people doing for those awkward days between class and move-in date? I really don't want to spend all of that money for hotel because as we all know, the area is soo expensive. I also would prefer not to sleep in a strangers guest room from craigslist, yes I'm paranoid. What is everybody else doing?

Hey, mbm54.

I wish I were in a position to put you up for those few days. . . . Have you asked the landlord if the place will be vacant earlier? Some people move out on the weekends, so you might be in luck. You may have luck with hotwire or priceline. Another option is to miss your monday classes and just come in on wednesday. Missing the first class won't kill you. . . .

Hey moki, its cool. i bit the bullet and contacted someone from craigslist. the landlord seemed pretty nice and legit. thanks for the advice

Good morning, one and all!

So, I'm now the Content Editor and Writer-in-Chief for HEPS.

HEPS is your new friend. It is the "Harvard Extension Pre-health Society." I won't do any marketing for it here, but we will have a sign-up sheet on the first day of class to add you to our mailing list.

Currently, we are 500 members strong, with countless alumni, and are--according to professionals at Kaplan--the LARGEST graduate organization in Boston (including: Law, Art, Education, ad nauseum).

What I wanted to let you folks know--my dearest friends of SDN--is that I'm currently redesigning the HEPS website. On it will be links to everything important, event dates, and a tab for "Study Forums." These will connect you to previously established forums for setting up study groups that have been set in place BY THE PROFESSORS. Usually, if you post a question, it will be answered by the TF or the professor personally. Here, you will also be able to form groups.

I will ensure that you all have a link to this new website, and I'm sure it will be plastered all over Science Center B for the duration of the school year.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers!

Congrats Leah! I wanted to make a Study Group forum in the website when I first arrived, but the old administration didn't seem interested. Good luck putting it together, it'll really help a lot of HarvEx students!
Also, those three rooms in my house in Somerville are still available. You can see info about it higher up on this page. We're also totally fine with people moving in early to accommodate class start dates.

Thanks! I can't speak for the old administration, but the new board members are very cool.

The focus this year is to ensure that ALL of our students are heard. In fact, the half marathon we're helping to sponsor on September 25th is because a student suggested it.

Also, the study link is a tangible concept that should be up and running by late this month.

See you in the Science Center!

Hi,
I will be taking science courses at Harvard Extension School this fall 2010. I am still deciding on what classes to register for(three courses each term). Regardless, what do you all think about officially joining the Health Careers Program just to get the sponsorship? Do peoples' application get rejected?
How important is this letter if I am planning to get recs from at least one science professor at HES?

also, I heard we have limits on using the Harvard library so I was considering just using the Boston Public Library, or other college libraries. What do you all think? I hope you all feel the same. Does anyone know how long the library stays open for?

also, I am only spending one year, and then I am submitting all my medical schools apps in June. Is anyone else doing the same?

Hi,
I will be taking science courses at Harvard Extension School this fall 2010. I am still deciding on what classes to register for(three courses each term). Regardless, what do you all think about officially joining the Health Careers Program just to get the sponsorship? Do peoples' application get rejected?
How important is this letter if I am planning to get recs from at least one science professor at HES?

Let's see if I can answer all three of your queries in one go.

Ok. The perk to being an "accepted" student (meaning that you're part of the HCP, but not necessarily a diploma candidate--i.e. you've already taken a pre-req or two) is that you qualify for some form of financial aid and DO have access to certain areas of campus with a Harvard ID number. You're considered a student.

People's applications get rejected usually if their GPAs are woefully low, OR if they've taken too many pre-reqs prior to applying. The administrators want to ensure that the program remains for those interested in career changing, and not academic enhancement.

As far as the letter o' sponsorship is concerned: it's a big deal. Our program is very well known, and VERY well regarded. So, the admissions committees of medical schools know to expect that sponsorship letter and will raise eyebrows if you decided against getting one. It's almost like going to Harvard just to go and not really striving to do well enough to receive recognition. The letter itself represents Harvard's stamp of approval; it vouches for your success as a medical student. And, to be quite frank, it's far more valuable than a letter from a professor. Just take a second to visualize what it represents--you can either have a single person recognize you, or you can have an ENTIRE institution back your applications. It's up to you, but I think you should reconsider not striving for the letter.

In response to your library question, you can get into most of them. We even have our OWN library in the Science Center. As long as you have you student schedule on you, it will afford you access to just about any building. Hell, I walked into the Law School library the other day.

The program is a good one and has a great reputation. Welcome and good luck.

The program is a good one and has a great reputation. Welcome and good luck.[/QUOTE]

Ok, now that I saw the breakthrough, Im going to apply, and see what happens! On the AMCAS websites it says that the purpose of the program is to also enhance one's academic credentials WHICH I really need to do. Im doing this at the recommendation of my mentor (who is on the executive admissions committee at my universities med school) He told me my grades need to be improved, and I felt that HES was the best place to prove myself. So aren't people from both groups part of the program?

The AMCAS website is one thing, and Dr. Fixsen's (the program Director) requirements on the Harvard site are two TOTALLY different stories.

However, my BEST suggestion would be to call their office and have a chat with either Fixsen, or Owen Peterson. They can tell you exactly what they're looking for, what they are not, and what they can offer for your future in medicine.

I think you'll be happy with it :)

Hey untouchable,

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. Taking 3 classes/semester and using this program for academic enhancement. I'm also applying next June as well!

Hey Everyone,

What an great thread. I am planning on going to HES next summer, 2011, or possibly wait until the fall. On their website, it states on the HCP admissions page:

"Deadline. You must apply no later than August 31 of the year preceding application to medical school."

I assuming that this is referring to Medical School, and not the HCP program. Kind of confused. Its currently August of 2010, and I want to make sure that I don't need to submit an application so soon. Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

What an great thread. I am planning on going to HES next summer, 2011, or possibly wait until the fall. On their website, it states on the HCP admissions page:

"Deadline. You must apply no later than August 31 of the year preceding application to medical school."

I assuming that this is referring to Medical School, and not the HCP program. Kind of confused. Its currently August of 2010, and I want to make sure that I don't need to submit an application so soon. Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Got ya.

Yes, the application they're talking about is the application for sponsorship.

To get into the PROGRAM, there's really no SET deadline. I know there have been people who have recently applied, been accepted, and are moving out to Boston the day of class.

anyone know if the 1st edition of the physics book will suffice for the course? These books are expensive! At least it's tax free weekend though :) Chem syllabus states any edition of the text is fine. Thanks!

Last edited:
anyone know if the 1st edition of the physics book will suffice for the course? These books are expensive! At least it's tax free weekend though :) Chem syllabus states any edition of the text is fine. Thanks!

I believe it's, specifically, 2nd edition (stated in the syllabus).

Hey untouchable,

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. Taking 3 classes/semester and using this program for academic enhancement. I'm also applying next June as well!

cool, hopefully we will all meet each other. I really hope we all get what we need from this program. Do you guys plan on hitting the town every other Friday, or are you all going to be studying all the time?

Is anyone thinking about taking Neurobiology this semester? Or does anyone who has taken it have any information to offer about this course?

Also, I will be taking physics and general biology (because I am lacking lab credit and have to retake it), so count me in for any study groups!

cool, hopefully we will all meet each other. I really hope we all get what we need from this program. Do you guys plan on hitting the town every other Friday, or are you all going to be studying all the time?

Yea, I'm sure we'd run into each other. I hope we get what we need from this program as well. As for me, I definitely plan on going out every so often, depends on the workload but I def wont be studying ALL the time. Work hard, play hard!

Hey KyleM0216, I an enrolled in neurobio!

To gain access to the libraries you must have a valid Harvard ID. But most of us just find an empty room in the science center to camp out in for the evening. Also, there's always Peets Coffee and Starbucks!

See you guys in Orgo!

Your registration will get you into most libraries. Carry the one they send you in the mail with you at all times. That and a license will do the trick.

So I just got the e-mail from the Harvard Ext. Pre-Health Society about the half-marathon. whose down to run? last time i ran a half-marathon, my feet held a grudge against me for two weeks so i'm on the fence, but i think i could suck it up. again.

So I just got the e-mail from the Harvard Ext. Pre-Health Society about the half-marathon. whose down to run? last time i ran a half-marathon, my feet held a grudge against me for two weeks so i'm on the fence, but i think i could suck it up. again.

I'm TOTALLY doing it.

It will be my third, and every time I finish my knees explode. But, what the hell...live fast, die young ;)

I PM'd you. For the benefit of others, let me recommend getting the INTERNATIONAL version of the Physics (Giambattista) and Chemistry (Chang) textbooks. I took Ruekner's Physics and Tucci's Chemistry last year. They each cost about $60 shipped off Ebay and the content is identical, page-for-page, to US versions. Paper quality seemed to be the same as US versions too, except it's soft cover with another cover design. The books are shipped from some Asian country, but it arrives in 3 days.

The COOP version of the Chemistry book may be have a few pages appended to it. This section was added by Tucci and comes from another textbook. I assume the COOP version is the only one that has these extra pages. There are very few pages and I read them at the library's reserve copy of the book. If you didn't read these extra pages, it probably wouldn't change anything. I stopped reading the Chang textbook altogether because Tucci's lectures were so thorough.

Also, Physics and Chemistry labs are posted on the website. You can print them, so there is no need to buy the lab manual. There are lab goggles in the lab for you to use, but you can get your own pair for $3 at Home Depot (they may not be as fancy).

I'm taking Bio and Orgo this coming year. I bought the international version of the Bio book, but there doesn't seem to be an international version of the Orgo book. The Orgo package (textbook, cd, study guide/solutions manual, ebook, smartwork) is $10 cheaper direct from the publisher (W. W. Norton) compared to the new version at the COOP, but still hovers around $200. I hope these work for the coming year. If anyone knows from experience, let me know.

Oh, completely unrelated to previous discussions, but does anyone know if there's a microwave on campus for students to use? I never found one in my first year. I'm tired of the cafe food.

Does anyone know if in general bio whether you can get by with the 1st edition of the textbook instead of the 2nd? I'm not sure if the course will require assignments from the book or not. Thanks!

Hi All!

I'm enrolled in the Health Careers Program for the fall, taking 3(!) classes over the next year. I'm currently finishing up my General Chemistry sequence at Northeastern and about to start classes at HES next week, but am considering taking O-Chem at Northeastern while taking Physics and Bio at HES (I've spoken to advisors about this, its not a problem as far as credits or admissions go.)

I'm curious if anyone can weigh in on how difficult it is to do well in HES's O-chem while taking other courses. The point is to learn the material, but I also want to get a good grade to raise up my science GPA, and I get the impression that its easier to do that at Northeastern. Plus Northeastern meets on Saturday morning for lecture + lab (whereas if I did O-Chem at HES, I would have lecture on Thurs. and review another day, on top of o-chem lab on Saturday morning. This would leave me class every weeknight which sounds exhausting, though I know people do it.)

Any thoughts/insights on Northeastern vs. HES would be much appreciated. Thanks!

For those who are interested, I'm selling the solutions manual to the 6th Edition of General Chemistry:Essential Concepts by Chang. It contains completely worked out solutions for all even numbered problems in the text, as well as all the example problems. The book goes brand new for $75, and my book is in near perfect condition. I'll be selling it for $50, PM me if anyone is interested.

Here we go, again. . . . .

Good luck, everyone! Wish you all a great semester.

Sorry to hijack, but is the HCP only for students who haven't taken any of the pre-reqs? Or is it also for students looking to take upper-division classes to improve GPA?

The website states that it's for "career changers." Now, only those that have not taken any (or very few) pre-reqs will be eligible for sponsorship. However, you can still take classes as a free agent, more or less (sorry, football season).

Anyhow. The best thing to do is call Dr. Fixsen's office. Either he or Owen Peterson would be more than happy to answer any and all questions. I think I called them a dozen times before coming out here.

Good luck!