Official Harvard 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anybody is looking for housing/roommates for Fall 2010, please pm me as I am planning on studying at Harvard starting in the fall and am currently looking for roommates.

Thanks,

-Justin

Hey Justin,
I PM'd you the other day. Let me know if you got it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey nali1,

I am using this program as an academic enhancer. I took the pre-med prereqs (along with biochem) but my science GPA is still lacking. You can still be eligible for sponsorship, but you cannot receive the diploma in pre-medical studies, which have a few benefits. Although this program is really geared toward career changes, this could be a good program for people that need academic enhancement. I recommend that you apply! However, people tthat take too many science classes tend to get rejected. Outside of the prereques, I think I took 2 other upper level science electives and I was still admitted. I would call the HCP office for more information.

eatadandelion, there are no LORs required for this program, which is a good time saver! I am also not sure about the deadlines. You should call the HCP office, there are extremely helpful!

Thanks for the input mbm, I'll definitely be in touch with the HCP office. Could you explain what exactly the sponsorship is and how you are eligible for it?

Thanks for the input mbm, I'll definitely be in touch with the HCP office. Could you explain what exactly the sponsorship is and how you are eligible for it?

The sponsoship is a letter from the HES program--essentially Harvard's stamp of approval of you entering into medical school. It is sent to your prospective adcoms and is a comprehensive listing from the faculty at HES of why you make a fantastic candidate. Although many post baccalaureate programs do this (along with some undergraduate programs) Harvard's is highly regarded.

However, not just everyone can be eligible for this sponsorship. You have to have demonstrated a high level of comprehension of the material (i.e. amazing grades and MCAT), as well as involvement in the medical community via internships, research, volunteering, etc. All of that, along with $500, will get you considered by the program to be part of their sponsorship docket.

Harvard will only sponsor the finest applicants as to uphold its stellar reputation. So, if you work hard, you should be good to go. I would speak with Dr. Fixsen for more details.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello people! im contemplating on whether or not to move to boston to attend HES for the fall 2010 semester.

it seems from this thread, it is not too difficult to find a place to live that's under $800/month with roommates...however, my concern is whether i can find a job to pay for the rent and living expenses.

would it be crazy to move here and expect to find a job...without any connections whatsoever, only a couple thousand in savings, and no real skills (psy undergrad, 2 years of teaching which i dont plan to go back into).

tell me it's doable??!! i would really like to attend HES.

also, how much can post-bac students typically take out in federal loans? i have heard that the maximum is $2,750/a semester.

hello people! im contemplating on whether or not to move to boston to attend HES for the fall 2010 semester.

it seems from this thread, it is not too difficult to find a place to live that's under $800/month with roommates...however, my concern is whether i can find a job to pay for the rent and living expenses.

would it be crazy to move here and expect to find a job...without any connections whatsoever, only a couple thousand in savings, and no real skills (psy undergrad, 2 years of teaching which i dont plan to go back into).

It's not crazy. With a psy degree, you should be able to find a clinical research job. However, know that it will most likely be 30-40 hours/week. Find the Boston area hospitals (especially teaching hospitals of which there are at least 15) and search their career websites.

tell me it's doable??!! i would really like to attend HES.

also, how much can post-bac students typically take out in federal loans? i have heard that the maximum is $2,750/a semester.

This depends completely on how many years you've been in school, and whether you are in the diploma program or not. No diploma, no federal aid. However, keep in mind that private loans have really low interest rates right now as well, not much higher than federal. I want to say that I could take out around $5000/semester when I was in the diploma program.

Last edited:
It's not crazy. With a psy degree, you should be able to find a clinical research job. However, know that it will most likely be 30-40 hours/week. Find the Boston area hospitals (especially teaching hospitals of which there are at least 15) and search their career websites.

This depends completely on how many years you've been in school, and whether you are in the diploma program or not. No diploma, no federal aid. However, keep in mind that private loans have really low interest rates right now as well, not much higher than federal. I want to say that I could take out around $5000/semester when I was in the diploma program.

thank you for your advice, it gave me some hope!

i definitely feel insane for thinking about leaving NYC, where i can live rent-free with my parents (in a crummy ol' shoebox but $0 to me) and where there are all sorts of opportunities...but the HES program is such a great learning environment and boston seems pleasant to live in. :scared: oh..what to do?!

heyyy!! anyone looking 4 all female roomies for the fall?

Hello all,

My name is David and I am planning to begin my course work at HES this summer with Genetics. I just wanted to introduce myself to you all on here and look forward others in the program throughout the upcoming year. I have been taking some courses already this year at UGA in Athens and hope to finish all the prereqs in one year at Harvard. I'm in the market for a place to live this summer as well as through the next year if anybody is looking for a roommate or has a sublet available.

Thanks and I wish everyone else who is beginning this program the best of luck!

Take it easy,

David

Hey Guys-

I'll also be doing the program starting in the fall with Bio and Chem. I'd be looking for roommates who are interested in less expensive living, hopefully around 600 dollars a month for rent, while still close enough to Harvard that the commute isn't too shabby. Shoot me a PM if this sounds interesting to you.

Last week I applied for a few Admin positions at Children's Hospital to keep myself afloat while I take courses. Children's hospital is one of the teaching hospitals for Harvard Medical School and one of the benefits to taking a job there is that they offer $5000 in tuition assistance per year (If you work full-time). The HR rep I did my first interview with said that they mostly hired people who were newly out of college and looking to go into medical careers. It seems like it would be a great opportunity to get experience working in a hospital and to get some of my tuition covered!

I thought that I would share this - I know that some of you are looking for jobs!

Last week I applied for a few Admin positions at Children's Hospital to keep myself afloat while I take courses. Children's hospital is one of the teaching hospitals for Harvard Medical School and one of the benefits to taking a job there is that they offer $5000 in tuition assistance per year (If you work full-time). The HR rep I did my first interview with said that they mostly hired people who were newly out of college and looking to go into medical careers. It seems like it would be a great opportunity to get experience working in a hospital and to get some of my tuition covered!

I thought that I would share this - I know that some of you are looking for jobs!

That sounds awesome QC! Do you know where we can find additional information regarding this like a list of affiliate hospitals, pay, etc? Is there any assistance if you work p/t? Thanks for the post!

I noticed that most people starting out with their prereq's tend to take Chem and Physics first at Harvard-- I was planning on taking Chem and Bio (so I can take Biochemistry in the summer). Any reason why this is a bad idea, or at least less common?

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that most people starting out with their prereq's tend to take Chem and Physics first at Harvard-- I was planning on taking Chem and Bio (so I can take Biochemistry in the summer). Any reason why this is a bad idea, or at least less common?
Chem is not a prereq for bio but it is highly recommended that you take it first. As to how much chem you actually use in the bio class at HES, I have no idea.

Interesting, thanks, didn't notice that until now. Biology summer course it is, then! Hopefully it will be possible to do well in it, as I've heard Bio at HES is as challenging as anything else. Still, it will be great to totally focus on once class and really get to know the material.

Heck yeh! I'm coming in from Orange County, CA. and I just moved here like 2 years ago! can't wait to get started, looking forward to the new scene.

I'm from San Diego, my man. The winters should be interesting, no? I'm looking to mount my surfboard on the wall and transfer to snowboarding on a permanent basis ;)

You looking to go back to Cali for med school--more to the point, UCI?

Hey guys, I literally just opened an account after lurking for months and months. My parents recently moved to Irvine (last summer) and I'm going to be attending HES in the fall as well. UCI med would definitely be a great place to end up.

Hi All,
Long time lurker here, first post.
I've been out of school for a year now. I graduated with a business degree, and absolutely hate it. I wasn't cut out for the corporate world, and now I'm taking a second look at what I wanted to do before advising scared it out of me - medicine.

I've been reading a lot of posts, and it seems like Harvard's HCP might be a pretty good fit for me. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA. I'm not sure exactly how to calculate science GPA, but I got an A in every science class I ever took in college, so I'm guessing it's 4.0. Thing is, I never took any of the med school prereqs, so I'm really starting from square one.

I'm just wondering what I should do at this point? Is it too late to apply for this Fall? Should I try to volunteer at a hospital or clinic for a few months to pad my application? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi All,
Long time lurker here, first post.
I've been out of school for a year now. I graduated with a business degree, and absolutely hate it. I wasn't cut out for the corporate world, and now I'm taking a second look at what I wanted to do before advising scared it out of me - medicine.

I've been reading a lot of posts, and it seems like Harvard's HCP might be a pretty good fit for me. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA. I'm not sure exactly how to calculate science GPA, but I got an A in every science class I ever took in college, so I'm guessing it's 4.0. Thing is, I never took any of the med school prereqs, so I'm really starting from square one.

I'm just wondering what I should do at this point? Is it too late to apply for this Fall? Should I try to volunteer at a hospital or clinic for a few months to pad my application? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

It's not too late to apply for the HES. They take applications all the way until the start of the semester. I actually just got accepted into HES for the fall. They sent back my application fee though, because of their worry over my freshman year grades. I had a 2.6 freshman year and a 3.71 since (cGPA 3.48, no science classes). They're requiring my to get a 30 on my MCATs to receive sponsorship. My goal was to get above a 30 on the MCAT's to begin with so that's not deterring me.

So is anybody still looking for a roommate around Boston?

Well it might be a bit on the late side, but I'm starting classes this summer with chemistry and am looking for a room. If anyone has a spot open for the summer send me a PM and I'd be happy to talk with you.

Thanks!

It's not too late to apply for the HES. They take applications all the way until the start of the semester. I actually just got accepted into HES for the fall. They sent back my application fee though, because of their worry over my freshman year grades. I had a 2.6 freshman year and a 3.71 since (cGPA 3.48, no science classes). They're requiring my to get a 30 on my MCATs to receive sponsorship. My goal was to get above a 30 on the MCAT's to begin with so that's not deterring me.

So is anybody still looking for a roommate around Boston?

Thanks! I'm planning on sending in my application pretty soon. Just one more question...how did you guys send in your transcripts? The website says they must be sent straight from the previous institution's registrar's office, but the application says it can be enclosed with the app.
Thanks!

Thanks! I'm planning on sending in my application pretty soon. Just one more question...how did you guys send in your transcripts? The website says they must be sent straight from the previous institution's registrar's office, but the application says it can be enclosed with the app.
Thanks!

I just sent some transcripts that I had (sealed, with the registrars stamp on the back) and they accepted them.

That sounds awesome QC! Do you know where we can find additional information regarding this like a list of affiliate hospitals, pay, etc? Is there any assistance if you work p/t? Thanks for the post!

Hi decentdude -

If you go to the Children's Hospital Website you can find out more about employment there and benefits.
http://www.childrenshospital.org/
Also, I believe that if you work part time the tuition assistance is pro-rated. I looked around at other local hospitals as well (MGH, Brigham) and they also offer tuition assistance - albeit not as much.

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the board - I've been accepted to the Harvard HCP diploma program and will be starting this summer at Harvard doing Gen Chem then following up with physics, bio and org chem during the fall / spring. For all the HCP alumni, any tips on how to tackle this coming year?

Might be a weird question but do most people use laptops to take notes or good old fashioned pen and paper?

Currently looking for a place to live, I'm thinking of some place walking distance to Harvard with parking, any thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone else doing gen chem this summer? looking forward to meeting everyone and wishing you all the best.

Rgds,
J

What's up J. decentdude, grc10 and I will all be taking Chem this summer as well. We have a place near Porter Sq. in Somerville. It's a mile from the Science Center where we'll all be studying. If you want to have an easy walk to school check out places around Beacon St. and Oxford St. A lotta places for rent around there and Oxford St. runs right into the Science Center. If you're good with a quick subway ride, take a look around Porter Sq., Davis Sq. and Central Sq. We checked several websites in our search for a place but, in the end, craigslist had the most listings, was easiest to use and was where we found our apt.

See you this summer.

Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the board - I've been accepted to the Harvard HCP diploma program and will be starting this summer at Harvard doing Gen Chem then following up with physics, bio and org chem during the fall / spring. For all the HCP alumni, any tips on how to tackle this coming year?

Might be a weird question but do most people use laptops to take notes or good old fashioned pen and paper?

Currently looking for a place to live, I'm thinking of some place walking distance to Harvard with parking, any thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone else doing gen chem this summer? looking forward to meeting everyone and wishing you all the best.

Rgds,
J

Hey all-

Starting in September there will be a room open in the apartment I just secured. It's less than a mile (.7) from the science center, near inman square, with 3 bedrooms total, 1 bathroom, and 2 very laid back but very hard working male roommates. The kitchen and bathroom aren't the most modern, and there is a small common space, but the bedrooms are very nice. Rent is about 450 a month. The room is available starting in September, which is a little tricky with the scheduling of HES, but something can probably be worked out. We're looking for someone who would want to keep the apartment quiet during the week and is a friendly, laid-back roommate. We have no gender preference.

Let me know through PM if you are interested.

hey guys, i just graduated this month and have been looking around for postbac programs and was told by a friend to check out the hcp.
i already completed all of my pre-med requirments, and im really just looking to take some upper level classes. I would love to go to harvard to take some, but i want to be realistic and know how hard it would be to get A's....

so for those of you who are in the program, what is the difficulty level of the upper-level classes? ofcourse this is a postbac program and everyone here is ready to work hard but i want a realistic expectation because at the end of the day med schools really do care about numbers and letters sadly.
I graduated from UNC but i did my pre-reqs at my state school so that is the level of difficulty im accustomed to.
either way im sending my application tomorrow!

edit: Also...are there alot of volunteering/research opportunities there?? i mean surely theres gotta be a good advantage of being in harvard instead of any other school right?

lastly....the most important question....will i get to chance my facebook network to harvard? :p
thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm a graduating senior at UCLA hoping to start HCP in the fall. As a science major, I'm hoping that I can use HCP as an academic enhancer. I just applied (haven't been accepted yet), and I was just wondering if there were any other CA people making the move to MA this summer/fall.

If all goes well, maybe we can look for housing together! =)

J

Hello everyone,

I am making the move from LA to the HES in the Fall and am really excited about it. I was curious if anyone has taken Organic Chemistry over the summer, and if so how difficult is it? I took the first semester, but need to complete the second semester. I am thinking I need to repeat the whole course because I don't remember much, but am wondering if anyone think it would be possible to take only second semester and restudy first semester on my own.

Also - does anyone have any tips on finding research/shadowing/volunteer opportunities in Boston? I have never been to Boston and am sure there are abundant opportunities but am curious what people have experience and enjoyed.

Thank your for your time! I will see most of you in the Fall!

Would this program be good for pre-dental students also? The HCP diploma program?

Hi everyone. I just found out about this program last night. I got a little too excited about it and filled and sent the application the same night. The problem is that I accidentally left out the first page of the application. It just looks like a cover page to me. Is it important?
I'm hoping to start the program in the summer term. I'm just worried that I might be too late considering the summer semester is starting next month. What do you guys think?

Here's some info about me.
3.3gpa
6years experience as an Air Force medic
No research
Did not take any standardized tests

I won't be doing the whole program, but will be taking Orgo I and II, and Biochem through the program. Keep in touch! We can study together.

I called and spoke with someone from the HCP program today. He made it sound like I shouldn't have much of a problem getting accepted to the program after receiving all my application materials.
Assuming everything goes well, I want to start planning the move to Boston next month.
Does anyone still need a roommate for the summer semester? It would be great if I can share a place with someone I can study with.
I also plan on driving to Boston from Southern California. Anyone wanna carpool? All I ask is to split gas costs.

Thanks for the tip hisdudeness, anyone know what the harvard gym schedule is like for the summer?

Hi!

I'm a graduating senior at UCLA hoping to start HCP in the fall. As a science major, I'm hoping that I can use HCP as an academic enhancer. I just applied (haven't been accepted yet), and I was just wondering if there were any other CA people making the move to MA this summer/fall.

If all goes well, maybe we can look for housing together! =)

J

I am a graduating senior at UCLA as well! I haven't heard back from them either but if I do make the move to MA, it will be in the fall!! Have you applied anywhere else?

lastly....the most important question....will i get to chance my facebook network to harvard? :p
thanks!!

:laugh: I was wondering the EXACT same thing!

 

Last edited:
Lol it seems like everybody in this program will be from Cali! The winters will be a rude awakening lol

Does anybody know when the orientation, placement testing, etc. is? I got my initial acceptance letter and was told to resubmit my application fee, which I did two weeks ago. I haven't gotten anything back since and when I called about it, all I got was the late-July date for class registration.

I've gotten my Columbia acceptance packet, which has all the details and dates laid out. I want to go to Harvard, but the lack of information unnerves me. Has anybody else gotten a full packet or such?

Hi,
My name's David, I'm going to apply for the HES Health Program for this fall. I'm curious if anyone's interested in sharing housing together. I think living in a studious environment with other people in the program could be beneficial for all of us.

A little background info, I graduated UCLA in '08, I like playing soccer and tennis, like to socialize, but will definitely be focused on studying this year.

If anyone is interested or knows anyone interested in housing options for the fall, pls let me know: [email protected]

Thanks -David

Does anybody know when the orientation, placement testing, etc. is? I got my initial acceptance letter and was told to resubmit my application fee, which I did two weeks ago. I haven't gotten anything back since and when I called about it, all I got was the late-July date for class registration.

I've gotten my Columbia acceptance packet, which has all the details and dates laid out. I want to go to Harvard, but the lack of information unnerves me. Has anybody else gotten a full packet or such?

I don't think they give you any kind of packet. You register and take the classes on your own and apply for sponsorship when you're ready. You can actually start this month if you're willing to pay the late registration fee for the summer semester.

Hey everyone. My roommate and I just finished our first year in the Health Careers Program. We need two new roommates starting September 1. We would like those roommates to be students. We would also prefer that they be male (sorry ladies).

We live on the 3rd floor of a 3-story house one mile from Harvard Square in Huron Village (you can look it up on Google Maps). The walk to campus is about 20 minutes, and the buses (of which there are several nearby) take less than 5 minutes. There are several grocery stores within walking distance (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and three local grocers). The neighborhood itself is very safe, pleasant, and quiet.

Our place has 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a large living room, a large kitchen, and a nice deck in the back. Since we're on the 3rd floor, all rooms get a lot of sunlight.

Rent is $625 a month. Utilities (gas, electric, and oil heat for the winter months) are not included, but they don't get too expensive. We have a coin-operated washer and dryer in the basement.

My roommate and I are very studious dudes, ages 25 and 23. Last semester we both took Chemistry I and II, and Physics I and II. I'm taking Organic Chemistry I and II this summer, and my roommate is working in a hospital. In the fall, we both start Biology I, and my roommate will start Orgo I.

In addition to rocking the academics, we DO go out, party, and have a good time with friends at appropriate points during the semester. We're neither stuffy nerds nor drunken A-holes. We're normal, and awesome.

RULES:
1- Help keep the common areas clean. That includes assisting with trash and the dishwasher, if you cook.
2- Keep your own room clean. We've had smelly roommates and it wasn't cool.
3- Don't eat our food.
4- We don't want cable TV in the living room, but you can have it hooked up in your own room.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. My e-Mail address is [email protected]. Pictures available upon request.

To all the rest of you, good luck with the Health Careers Program. It's hard, but if you put in the hours, you'll do fine.

I don't think that there is a package or anything of that sort - however I just registered for the info session on June 14th (I think). Maybe that will clear up some things for you if you are in the area.

Got my acceptance letter this week! I was on the fence before, but now I definitely plan on attending HES this Fall. I'll be moving to the Boston area as well, so if anyone is interested in sharing housing or finding a place together, PM me!

On another note, I had a quick question for those who are already in the program. Do most students take only the prerequisite classes (bio, orgo, chem, physics), or do you take additional classes that might help your application to med school? Also, is it common for students to work while taking classes? Should I be volunteering or working at a hospital to build up my (nonexistent) experience? Thanks!

Hey everybody,
As many people... I'm looking for housing near campus. I'm having a hard time nailing down a CL offer since I'm not in Boston yet. Also I would like to live with fellow post-bacc students, so please PM me if you've got a place and need a room filled. I'll be in the area by early July.
My first time to post, so hello hello. Hope we can help each other out these coming two years!