Official Harvard 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm probably going to attend HES this fall. Should I look for work in health-care related field, or should I just try to find any job I can get, and intern/shadow when I have a chance?

Does anyone have any idea where to look for jobs in the Boston area?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I've been a lurker on this board for a long time. I am a mother of two children(ages 13 and 8), will be relocating from another state, and I am planning to start the Harvard Extension School HCP this summer. My husband is going to relocate when the house is sold and other things are taken care of where we live now. That being the case, it may be a while before he can come join us. In the meantime, I am looking for housing. Are there any "families" who have done this sort of thing? What are my options for finding an apartment or sharing a house in Cambridge with others who don't mind the presence of a two kids (they are good kids!!)? I am thinking I'll have them with me for a couple of weeks this summer(there are some camps they are interested in while I'll be class), and then bring them permanently for the 2010-2011 school year. Advice? Ideas?

Hi everyone. I'm planning on beginning my premed studies at Harvard Extension School's Health Careers Program Summer 2010, am really excited about it and ready to start the discussion. Who else is looking at starting the HES program in 2010? I've invited the 2007, 2008 and 2009 threads to come share their wisdom as well. :)

Hi! I will also join HCP 2010. I am not sure what I have to do for registration. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I'm halfway thru HCP. Anyone looking for roommates for the fall? I rent part of a house by Central Sq I found off CL last fall, it's really nice but I want to move somewhere with roommates, hopefully other people studying their way into Medicine.
I'm 25, male, take my studies very seriously but love going out when time allows, beach, skydiving, clubs, that kinda stuff. I keep it clean, handle my own food, shower daily and dress nicely. The closer to Harvard the better.

Got my acceptance letter this week! I was on the fence before, but now I definitely plan on attending HES this Fall. I'll be moving to the Boston area as well, so if anyone is interested in sharing housing or finding a place together, PM me!

On another note, I had a quick question for those who are already in the program. Do most students take only the prerequisite classes (bio, orgo, chem, physics), or do you take additional classes that might help your application to med school? Also, is it common for students to work while taking classes? Should I be volunteering or working at a hospital to build up my (nonexistent) experience? Thanks!

@Friedgold,
The classes you take depends essentially on the prerequisites for the medical school(s) you intend to send your application(s) to. Biology, Chemistry (Organic & Inorganic) and Physics will essentially make that list. Some schools require Biochemistry.
Volunteering and shadowing of a physician should be somewhere in your plan too within the next 1-2 yrs.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I heard his class was STELLAR for MCAT preparation. AND that he was a phenomenal speaker.

Wouldn't hurt to give Dr. Anderson a chance. Different strokes for different folks. You just never know...:)

Wouldn't hurt to give Dr. Anderson a chance. Different strokes for different folks. You just never know...:)

I know, I know... I've just talked to Dr. Fixsen a few times on the phone and was really impressed by his no-nonsense and commitment to helping students.

Anderson it is, eh?

Anybody that's been taking the courses this past year or have taken the courses already know what textbooks have been used? I'd like to shop around for cheaper alternatives now rather than get the syllabus and go through a week of shopping around and waiting before getting my textbooks. My old school had the syllabuses up quite a bit before classes start so I would get my books early. can't seem to find the same info on the Harvard registrar sites. Much thanks for anybody that can help.

@Gko
I actually still have my Chem book, if you want to buy it.

@Gko
I actually still have my Chem book, if you want to buy it.

I'm actually good with Chem. I stole it from my friend after he was done with chem. I listed it for other people on here going to Harvard too.

So how is Harvard Summer school going, guys? I was hoping to start Gen Chem this week, but due to a family illness had to put it off until the fall.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my plan to take Chem 1 and Phys 1 in fall, then Chem 2 and Phys 2 in spring, studying Orgo on my own(possibly using ExamKracker) to prepare for the MCAT, take the MCAT in June, then take Orgo in summer school (late June/July)? I've already had Bio 1 and 2.

Is it doable? Am I crazy? Should I consider a different postbacc program that would allow me to take Orgo earlier in the summer so that I can take the MCAT afterwards and still have time to apply to med school next summer?

Hey I'm going to be joining the program next fall. I'm looking into housing options so if anyone is looking for (another) roommate, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'm looking to be making a decision between the postbacc program at UT-Dallas and HCP within the next few weeks. Would anyone be able to provide me with any thoughts or suggestions regarding which program would be the better choice?

Thanks!

Sorry about this, but yet another 'roommates wanted' post here. Is anyone still looking for a place/need a room filled?

I'm a 23 year old guy, former English major, pretty chill about living accommodations, and would prefer roommates who don't think this is a good way to communicate.

But seriously, like everyone else I'm looking for a place close to Harvard that's quiet and boring during the week but more laid back on the weekend. PM me with any details. Thanks!

Hello,

I'm looking to be making a decision between the postbacc program at UT-Dallas and HCP within the next few weeks. Would anyone be able to provide me with any thoughts or suggestions regarding which program would be the better choice?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the UT program, but I can tell you why I chose Harvard over a few others:

1) It fit my lifestyle: I always have been a person who writes their own destiny (Jesus, that's corny). What I mean to say is that I work better by creating my own schedule. At Harvard, things aren't structured--you find your own volunteering, research, shadowing, ad naseum. Class is only twice a week--at night--so you have a wealth of time open to study, work, or put an end to world hunger. If you're dynamic and need little to no guidance, then it's a beautiful fit.

2) Cost: Harvard is, by far, the best bang for your buck. The faculty teaches Harvard undergrads, then saunters down the street and teaches us.........for a FRACTION of the price. Many other educational options of this caliber run you tens of thousands JUST for tuition. Harvard's education is affordable, meaning you don't have to bury yourself beneath mounds of debt prior to the mounds of debt one acquires in medical school.

3) Boston is awesome: I'm a San Diego native, and obviously I'm more acclimated to a hopping, active, big city lifestyle. Anything from kayaking to salsa dancing is in and around Boston. On an even BETTER note, Boston is a metropolis of health care. Its renowned facilities boast stellar research programs and medical specialties worth exploring for a young, would-be doc.

4) Harvard's sponsorship is priceless: While many programs offer you a letter of recommendation, Harvard's is a standout in the static ocean of letters. Adcoms know that Harvard is challenging and requires rigorous course work and extracurriculars of its students should they have a HOPE of becoming sponsored. To go through this program and receive the Crimsons' Stamp-O'-Approval smacks of a student who will probably be successful in medical school.

Hey I will also be starting the extensions school in the fall, and am looking for housing. I am female mid-20's looking to move in mid-august. I'm pretty chill and plan to be studying a lot (I also keep kosher but have lived with people in the past who did not). I do have a very lovable 2 year old dog.

Hey I will also be starting the extensions school in the fall, and am looking for housing. I am female mid-20's looking to move in mid-august. I'm pretty chill and plan to be studying a lot (I also keep kosher but have lived with people in the past who did not). I do have a very lovable 2 year old dog.

hey how is everyone looking for housing? craigslist? seak have you had any luck looking for housing? i think i want to bring my dog down with me too.

hey how is everyone looking for housing? craigslist? seak have you had any luck looking for housing? i think i want to bring my dog down with me too.

I've been looking on craigslist and hres (the website from the materials). I haven't found much luck with finding rooms in houses yet (a lot of people seem to be looking for immediate roommates).

To add to the thread, I am also looking for roommates and will be going to Boston a bit early to try to find a place for August 1. Send me a pm if you are interested and serious about finding a place asap.

hey fish,

if the website says to apply no later than aug31, why don't you just apply now? i don't think there is a mid-june deadline .don't worry yourself man! however, if you apply now the financial aid priority due date was june 1st (I think).

No problem man, i would just call HCP to double check. and, viva España!! I was on the road yesterday, but I heard it was an amazing game!

Hello,

I had a quick question that I was hoping some people who have been in the program can answer. I have already completed the biology requirements as far as the courses go, but lab was not included in my undergrad. I never took the lab section, so I am trying to find an upper division biology class that has a lab for the fall term. Is anyone aware of a class that has a lab component - I have had trouble finding any on the website. I am really not wanting to repeat biology I because I already have decent grades and feel like it won't really help my GPA. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

Hello,

I had a quick question that I was hoping some people who have been in the program can answer. I have already completed the biology requirements as far as the courses go, but lab was not included in my undergrad. I never took the lab section, so I am trying to find an upper division biology class that has a lab for the fall term. Is anyone aware of a class that has a lab component - I have had trouble finding any on the website. I am really not wanting to repeat biology I because I already have decent grades and feel like it won't really help my GPA. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

Fall Semester:
BIOS E-65c Human Anatomy and Physiology I (definitely)
BIOS E-40 Introduction to Proteomics (It might have a lab.)

Spring Semester:
BIOS E-12 Principles and Techniques of Molecular Biology (definitely)
BIOS E-16/W Cell Biology (almost definitely sure)
BIOS E-65d Human Anatomy and Physiology II (definitely)

The professors will start posting syllabi in the next couple of weeks and you can run through them to make sure.

Who's taking gen chem and physics this Fall?

I feel like we already share so much--being a part of the beast that is SDN, and all--so maybe we should extend the olive branch and begin to assess the necessity for study groups.

P.S.

Anyone else still waiting for their financial aid letter? I completed my application in May and have yet to receive anything...

I completed my financial aid application in May as well. I called the finaid office and letters should be coming out either this week or next week!

P.S.

Anyone else still waiting for their financial aid letter? I completed my application in May and have yet to receive anything...

I'm currently in the summer gen chem class here. I'll be sooo happy once the fall semester begins. All my classmates study nonstop everyday. Only 3 more weeks of this and it's over! I'll be taking the orgo chem, physics, and bio in the fall. See you guys soon!

Hey everyone,

I have yet another question for you all who have experience at the HES already.

I will be starting a post-bac program at the HES this fall. I am conflicted with which coursework to pursue because in my undergraduate years I made some poor choices. I have completed the first semester of general chemistry, the first semester of general biology (but it did NOT include a lab component), and the first semester of organic chemistry. I received an A in chem (do I need to take semester 2 at HES then?), AB in bio, and a B in organic. I decided after taking these classes that I wasn't going to pursue medicine anymore so I accepted AP Credit in Chemistry that gave me a letter grade of A, and AP Credit in Biology that gave me an "S" for credit.

My question is if I should repeat the whole year of Biology again because I need the lab, or if I should take an "upper division" biology class that has a lab component (likely to be A & P) - if that is considered upper division? I am also conflicted because I'm not sure if I should retake organic chemistry I (or just try and self study and then take semester 2) - does anyone have any advice or experience similar to mine? Any advice would be helpful - thank you.

Are most of you guys career changers or are you guys using HCP as an academic enhancer?

Career changer! Sportscaster to physician :)

Hey everyone,

I will be starting a post-bac program at the HES this fall. I am conflicted with which coursework to pursue because in my undergraduate years I made some poor choices. I have completed the first semester of general chemistry, the first semester of general biology (but it did NOT include a lab component), and the first semester of organic chemistry. I received an A in chem (do I need to take semester 2 at HES then?), AB in bio, and a B in organic. I decided after taking these classes that I wasn't going to pursue medicine anymore so I accepted AP Credit in Chemistry that gave me a letter grade of A, and AP Credit in Biology that gave me an "S" for credit.

My question is if I should repeat the whole year of Biology again because I need the lab, or if I should take an "upper division" biology class that has a lab component (likely to be A & P) - if that is considered upper division? I am also conflicted because I'm not sure if I should retake organic chemistry I (or just try and self study and then take semester 2) - does anyone have any advice or experience similar to mine? Any advice would be helpful - thank you.

Hey there,

I have no idea what you should do :/ if you call the HCP offie, Owen Peterson would be more than happy to steer you in the right direction.

And I am using HCP for academic enhancement!

Hey everyone,

PM'd you with a more detailed response.

Nutshell: Def retake Orgo I - no question. Your choice as to Bio I - personally I would retake it, so that there were no Adcom questions down the road. . . but that is me.

Hi everyone,

I'm entering my second year of HCP, having finished Chemistry (Tucci) and Physics (Rueckner). If anyone has taking Chem E1a already, do you happen to have the PDFs of Tucci's lectures? I have them for E1b, but didn't download the E1a slides before they were taken down. For HCP newcomers, Tucci's slides are very concise and informative, so DOWNLOAD THEM when he posts them.

I will be taking Bio and Orgo in the Fall. The syllabus for Bio and Orgo are posted, including the textbooks that need to be purchased. I already have an older edition of Organic Chemistry (my sis was a Chem major) and was curious if it would work in Matchacheep's class. For example, in Tucci's Gen Chem class, none of the homework was from the book, so any edition of the book would work. But for Ruekner's Phys class, all the homework was from the book, so only the current edition would suffice. Anyone know how Orgo works? Also, does anyone know if Orgo labs will be printable, like Chem and Phys labs? I believe Bio is printable, based on the syllabus.

And for those taking Tucci or Reukner's class - unless the professor changes the books, the paperback international version of the text are identical, page for page. Tucci has about 5 additional pages that were reproduced from another text included in the Harvard COOP copy of the text, but you can easily photocopy these pages at the library. I stopped reading the Chem text altogether halfway through the semester - not because the text is bad, but because Tucci's lectures + Friday reviews are sufficient.

Lastly, I've heard mixed feelings about Fixsen. Some say that if you take his class, you will be MORE than prepped for the MCATs. But his class is so hard, you might end up with a poor grade in his class. I think I would have preferred
being well-prepped for the MCATs. I hope the new professor will be good.

Hope this helps somebody.

Matchacheep is new this year - replacing the much loved Logan McCarty. Wish I could help you out, but I know nothing about her. There is also a new professor for Bio - Fixsen is not teaching it this year.

For those of you starting Chem with Tucci, you will love him.

Looking for housing near Harvard?

My roommate and I just finished our first year in the Health Careers Program. We need one new roommate starting September 1 (we would prefer a male roommate)

We live on the 3rd floor of a 3-story house one mile from Harvard Square in Huron Village (you can look it up on Google Maps). The walk to campus is about 20 minutes, and the buses (of which there are several nearby) take less than 5 minutes. There are several grocery stores within walking distance (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and three local grocers). The neighborhood itself is very safe, pleasant, and quiet.

Our place has 4 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, a large living room, a large kitchen, and a nice deck in the back. Since we're on the 3rd floor, all rooms get a lot of sunlight.

Rent is $625 a month. Utilities (gas, electric, and oil heat for the winter months) are not included, but they don't get too expensive. We have a coin-operated washer and dryer in the basement.

My roommate and I are very studious dudes, ages 25 and 23. Last semester we both took Chemistry I and II, and Physics I and II. We DO go out, party, and have a good time with friends at appropriate points during the semester.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you're interested, please e-Mail Ross at [email protected]. Pictures available upon request.

To all the rest of you, good luck with the Health Careers Program. It's hard, but if you put in the hours, you'll do fine.

Last edited:
I'm planning on applying for 2011, but curious: where are these LOR requirements to apply for the HCP (non-diploma) I see people posting about? I only see the basic application, photo, and official transcripts as requirements.

Second: did you guys treat the personal statement (why you're preparing for a medical career) section as a serious, and well thought out essay...or more of a snippet? What were your lengths?

Thanks!

Hello,

I got my award letter stating how much I could borrow. However it states that Federal loans will only cover the 1st year. Thinking about Sallie Mae for my 2nd year, any opinions or suggestions from 2nd years?

Thanks,

Hello,

I got my award letter stating how much I could borrow. However it states that Federal loans will only cover the 1st year. Thinking about Sallie Mae for my 2nd year, any opinions or suggestions from 2nd years?

Thanks,

A bunch of people are taking out private loans from their banking institutions--Chase, BofA, ad nauseum. If you have a solid, long-standing repertoire with them then they're more willing to lend you greater sums of money to cover all expenses.

I'm a first year, but I've been asking around about finances for a while now.

Good luck!

Who's taking gen chem and physics this Fall?

I feel like we already share so much--being a part of the beast that is SDN, and all--so maybe we should extend the olive branch and begin to assess the necessity for study groups.

Hello BeachBlondie...I'm taking Gen Chem and Physics this fall. Career changer, computer programmer to physician, and I'd love to get an SDN study group going. I'm moving to Cambridge the week of Aug 15th (from TN!!).

Has anyone been able to register for classes today? The registration calendar states that degree and diploma candidates can start registering on July 29, but I've just been getting a message to wait until August 2.

Has anyone been able to register for classes today? The registration calendar states that degree and diploma candidates can start registering on July 29, but I've just been getting a message to wait until August 2.

If you're a diploma candidate (i.e. have NEVER taken ANY of the pre-reqs), then today is your day. If this is the case, then call the office right away and let them know. If not, then you get to wait until August 2nd with the rest of us goons ;)

Hello BeachBlondie...I'm taking Gen Chem and Physics this fall. Career changer, computer programmer to physician, and I'd love to get an SDN study group going. I'm moving to Cambridge the week of Aug 15th (from TN!!).

Ok, then! :) Let us begin the search for one another. You can PM me and we can do the facebook thing (we're moving so fast! Facebook friends? Heavy.).

See ya soon!

I'm renting a room in a house 3.5 blocks from Porter T stop (1 stop from Harvard on the red line) ( Summer st and Cedar St, Somerville MA if you want to google it), and we have several vacancies. There are two rooms on the 3rd floor, and possibly a third room on the 2nd floor. Rent should be in the 600 range. If you're interested, CC me when you contact Natasha, her email is cactuspancake and it's at-yahoo-dot-com (gotta throw off spam bots). I'm 25, about to start my second year in the HCP (I miss financial aid), she's 23, doing a Bio degree at the Extension School. We're fine with people who just want to rent for a semester rather than a full 12 month lease. Make sure you contact us both.
Also, you'll have access to a full bath and full kitchen on the 2nd floor.

Last edited:
Also, I registered today for O. Chem, Physics, and Human Anatomy&Physiology. Let's get some study groups together.

friedgold, if this is your first semester, you won't be in the system yet as a diploma candidate so you won't be able to do early registration this semester but next. I just found this out myself. The intro courses don't have limits during the fall and spring semesters though.

hi all, another guy from cali here that's looking for a place to live in the fall. i'm was a UCLA undergrad and UCLA Law drop out, i guess you can call me a career changer.

does anyone have any rooms available for rent? I know it's short notice, but if you have anything, please email me at [email protected], thanks.

I am down with study groups. I'll be taking O-chem, bio and physics. Also are people working/volunteering, while they'er taking classes?

I'll be taking Physics and Chem, and am looking for volunteer or working positions in hospitals around Boston. Anyone had any luck with this?

I'm taking biochem, and some of the upper level bio courses cuz I'm not eligible for the diploma candidate...anyone else?

Volunteering at Faulkner hospital

Possibly looking into getting a research position :)