Official Harvard 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the physics professor is starting to get a tad confusing. I was hoping he would discuss more problems on the book or hws, at least.

If you talk to any 2nd year, they will tell you that they never went to class after the first couple of lectures. If you are taking both Tucci and Rueckner, you will find that they are distinctly different. For the former, you will hardly need to open the book because his class is so extensive. For the latter, you will need to get to know your book intimately....and perhaps even an outside study guide.

For section in physics, I've heard that Ralph and Nils are invaluable sources of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, BeachBlondie...

That's what I've heard as well. I have already had to see a tutor numerous times just to get through the first two homework assignments that are due tomorrow (and I'm still not done). I have attended numerous sections and a help room in the hopes of getting extra help, but you will notice that everyone there seems to be in the same boat and feels just as lost as I do. I'm quite terrified by this, to tell the truth. I wasn't expecting this to happen at all.

I've posed this question to a few students, but I was wondering if anyone on here currently in the HES program had any thoughts on whether a laptop is necessary. I've heard both sides, but some people end up saying that they do more note taking by hand and the laptop becomes less important. A lot of times it depends on the specific curriculum, so I figured I'd ask current HES students. Obviously some sort of computer is required, but I didn't know if a desktop might do.

I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, BeachBlondie...

That's what I've heard as well. I have already had to see a tutor numerous times just to get through the first two homework assignments that are due tomorrow (and I'm still not done). I have attended numerous sections and a help room in the hopes of getting extra help, but you will notice that everyone there seems to be in the same boat and feels just as lost as I do. I'm quite terrified by this, to tell the truth. I wasn't expecting this to happen at all.

See me before class tomorrow. Maybe I can try to help you.

That is, if you're available.

I've posed this question to a few students, but I was wondering if anyone on here currently in the HES program had any thoughts on whether a laptop is necessary. I've heard both sides, but some people end up saying that they do more note taking by hand and the laptop becomes less important. A lot of times it depends on the specific curriculum, so I figured I'd ask current HES students. Obviously some sort of computer is required, but I didn't know if a desktop might do.

I appreciate the help.

Your desktop will do. Most provide lecture handouts (you'll need to print most of the time). Makes more sense to write directly on them in my opinion, but that is me. Personally, I do not think that you "need" a laptop for the courses. So, if you really want a laptop get it. If you don't want to spend the money, then wait. Hope that helps.

I took physics last year and BeachBlondie is correct; your main goal in Rueckner's class is to genuinely learn and understand every problem at the back of every chapter of the book that you cover. That's what it took for me to do well. Nils is the best of the TA's and a genuinely nice person who wants to help. I'd go to his section if you can. Also, if you want the name of a tutor feel free to PM me.

If you talk to any 2nd year, they will tell you that they never went to class after the first couple of lectures. If you are taking both Tucci and Rueckner, you will find that they are distinctly different. For the former, you will hardly need to open the book because his class is so extensive. For the latter, you will need to get to know your book intimately....and perhaps even an outside study guide.

For section in physics, I've heard that Ralph and Nils are invaluable sources of information.

Do you guys know how I can add my name to the pre-health email list?

I think that physics is one of those subjects that is hard to 'get' from a lecture/reading, and just takes lots of problem solving. So far I'm feeling pretty good about the course, but I'll admit that lecture isn't really all that helpful when it comes to actually coming up with strategies to solve problems. However, I'm finding it GREAT for understanding some of the more non-intuitive bits, which really helps when you're designing methods to solve different kinds of problems.

For the most part, I just break the problems up into bits that I can manage and understand, and go from there. My TF seems to like to create one huge equation that solves everything, but it's easier for me to create lots of small ones and then add them all together at the end. Don't know if that helps.

I can't remember off of the top of my head whether it's the even or the odd questions, but one of the two has all the answers printed in the back of the book, so it's good to practice with those if you're feeling confused about a concept. That way you can check your work.

I'm not currently in a study group, but I'm thinking it might be useful to go over homework a few days before it's due and make sure that I'm on the right track. Anyone else interested in a study group where we've done the HW/ some practice problems and show up to discuss our methods?

Hi. I've sent an email to the HCP office, but I thought I would also post here.

I do not have a degree, but I have taken a couple of the pre-reqs (six years ago and counting), so I would not be eligible for admission to the program, sponsorship, or the diploma. Were I to come out to Boston, my plan would be to take all the pre-reqs plus whatever else is needed to finish up my degree via the HES Bachelors of Liberal Arts. Obviously, not being formally involved in the HCP would cause me to miss out on some things, but the value v. cost and the prospect of taking classes with a group of people somewhat like myself (non-traditional students, serious about what they're doing, etc.) still make Harvard an attractive option. I was curious if any of you, or anyone you know, have had similar experiences? How helpful is the HCP office able to be with HES students who are not in the program as far as advising, application procedures, etc.?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to sdn and just registered because I'm applying to the Health Careers Program at Harvard to start this spring. I looked for a financial aid/loans thread for post baccs (especially Harvard's) but didn't have much luck finding one, so I was hoping people here could share their experience with me. I was planning on taking Bio II and Calc I this spring, since I want to start soon, and then formally applying to the Health Careers Program starting in the summer (I emailed Owen Peterson and he said that you can't formally start until the summer or fall semester, but I could begin taking classes before formally applying). Is there a financial aid benefit to me applying to the Health Careers Program before beginning spring classes, or does it not really matter, as long as it's before the August 31 deadline?

Thanks so much for the advice, and looking forward to meeting some of you in January...

Oh damn crap. No wonder why it was so cheap lol. ahahaaaa $500 for room and all utilities included. Crap!!!!one of my friends who did the program lived here too, and there are a bunch of UMASS students around me. I don't know.
Maybe I can live my high school dream now, and wear a kevlar vest like 50 cent!!!

Are you kidding me... you moved to Dorchester without doing some research? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss it is dangerous.

It seems like its exam time at HES, just wanted to see how everyone is doing. I had A&P on Monday and Physics last night...I thought Physics was ok, but looking at the solutions that they put up this morning, I'm just hoping that they are generous with assigning points for questions even if you got the wrong answer! At least we get to drop one (though I've heard the second exam is harder)! Any one have insights on how Rueckner does his final grading scheme?

Anyways, since we're in the thick of the semester, just wanted to say good luck to everyone!

What did you think of A&P? I took that one too. I thought it was EASY. I was actually really annoyed, though. I studied and studied all week. I could literally recite in one long, elaborate, comprehensive outline virtually everything we'd learned so far. Then, the exam was mostly questions from the quizzes and questions from last year's exam. There were almost no questions about 80% of what I had studied - all the skeleton stuff, bones, histology. And where she did ask about the skeletal stuff, she gave us the answers! We should have had to label that skull with no prompts. And one of the multiple choices... she had told us we would need to know the 8 carpal bones and two of the tarsal bones by name, so I memorized them. Then she just had a multiple choice question where she listed like 5 carpal bones and one of the tarsal bones and asked which one wasn't a carpal. If you hadn't memorized the carpals and had only memorized those two tarsals, you'd know the tarsal (talus) in the answers was the correct answer.

I estimate I probably got 90/100 points because I stupidly didn't spend as much time looking at those first 4 chapters in the book. I had read them through and through for Quiz 1, but just figured there'd be less focus on that stuff. Most of the questions I know I missed were ones where the answer was something like "A&C" and I just put A. Drives me crazy... I suppose you only get credit if you get the full answer.

Also there were a couple questions where I suspect the answer she considers right is one I would consider wrong. I had that with the quizzes, and she has given me back my missed point when I bring it to her attention.

Last edited:
lol lizzo, I feel exactly the same about the A&P exam. The exam was the opposite of what I had expected. Important concepts and details weren't tested; unimportant random details not mentioned in lecture were. It was probably the most frustrating exam I have ever taken because I felt like I knew about 98% of what we were taught, but probably got around a 90 also because of how arbitrarily difficult some MC questions were.

If I had barely studied for that exam, I would have received about the same grade.

Ditto lizzo and pushlimit, that A&P exam was odd and was nothing like the sample midterm. I remember learning the cell organelles because the prof. said we had to and we had one MC question on it. Same for all the carpals! I was simultaneously relieved and pissed because it was easier than I expected but I had overstudied the wrong things (and had taken time away from Physics, which I really needed to focus on more) Having said this, I sure as hell hope that the prof. doesn't get wind of people thinking the exam was easy and making the second exam super hard - though I'm sure the grade distribution will make it evident.

I guess the key next time is to study the quizzes and the book more than I did this time. I find the book organizes topics a bit better than the prof. does, though some of the stuff we have in lecture doesn't show up in the assigned reading (joints, for example.) Very frustrating overall! But I'm glad I'm not alone!

Exactly. Frustrating! I feel like I probably studied more than 95% of the students in that class did (you two must be in that other 5% :) ) but I didn't get to demonstrate what I knew! I can only hope the studying pays off on the final, but it's doubtful, since she'll have to cover all the new stuff, too.

I do read all the chapters and even take notes on them, and I know she had said that she might test what was in the book, but the quizzes did NOT test that. (And indeed, the answers to two quiz questions actually conflicted with what the book said so I got them WRONG - but insisted on getting the points back.) So I didn't focus heavily on the book although I reread my book notes.

I can only hope that some of the quiz scores I've seen when picking up my quiz (6/20!?) will parallel some of the exam scores.

Quick question if you guys are still on here... when I saw this question on the sample exam I should have asked her what she considered the answer to be, but I didn't, and then it showed up on the midterm. There was a very basic question about negative feedback. I think the possible answers were "increases the initial stimulus," "doesn't change the initial stimulus," "shuts off the initial stimulus," and "none of the above." I put none of the above, because none of those answers are always true. Negative feedback always opposes the initial stimulus and CAN shut it off, but it can also just reduce its intensity. I was looking for either an answer that said "opposes the initial stimulus" or "shuts off or reduces in intensity the initial stimulus." I highly suspect that she is going to consider "shuts off the initial stimulus" to be the correct answer. What do you think?

I remember a point being made in the book about the fact that feedback loops work on the internal variable as opposed to the initial stimulus - its a trick question because nothing the body can do will affect the stimulus, which is an external variable. I remember picking the answer choice based on that distinction (it may very well be "none of the above" but I don't remember for certain).

She tried to make the point that quizzes are only based on lecture, whereas everything (reading, lectures) is fair game for exams. I'm trying to keep that in mind for the second one exam and the final! I'm also very curious to see how scores pan out for the first exam!

Hmm... good point. We'll see how it works out. I'm not sure if it was a trick question, or not, though. My original thought was also, "well, it can't SHUT OFF the initial stimulus... if the initial stimulus is freezing cold external temperatures, the negative feedback loop does nothing to change that." But, there are other negative feedback loops we have not yet looked at, in which the initial stimulus IS an internal variable. I've googled and a whole lot of sites from other universities say negative feedback "shuts off or reduces in intensity the initial stimulus." I have noticed that sometimes she plays "fast and easy" with terminology, too. I could totally see her using "initial stimulus" and "internal variable" interchangeably.

On the bone quiz, she out of nowhere used the term "endochondral bone growth." This is not used in the book and I don't remember her using it in the lecture. We looked at initial development (intramembranous ossification, endochondral ossification) and later bone growth separately, although they are sequential processes. Both the lecture and the book treated them separately. The book called bone elongation which occurs after initial development "interstitial growth" and bone widening "appositional growth." She only mentioned appositional growth in the lecture. Anyway, there was a true/false quiz question where she said something like "Endochondral bone growth is responsible for increasing the length of long bones." I put false. Since she was talking about growth, I was assuming she was referring to the later growth, as she had treated that separately in the lecture. I would have considered a true statement to say "interstitial growth is responsible for increasing the length of the long bones." I figured she was trying to trip us up by using some made-up hybrid of endochondral ossification and interstitial growth. When she took a point off, I explained the situation and she said she understood my reasoning and will give me my point back.

I hope she is consistent about things, since she had a question on the exam where she wanted us to list the two kinds of bone "growth" and to give examples of bones which would "develop" by those methods... so I figured she wanted endochondral and intramembranous ossification since on the quiz she considered endochondral ossification to be "growth".

I agree, her terminology and questions are often ambiguous. I also put none of the above for the negative feedback loop question because, like you said, it counteracts OR shuts off the afferent signal created by the internal or external change. To clarify what initial stimulus means: in the example of a decrease in body temperature due to cold weather, the initial stimulus is the net increased firing rate of the cold receptors in the body and reduced firing rate of the warm receptors. The increase of body temperature from negative feedback won't change the firing rate of the cold receptors on the skin much because the cold weather is external, but it decreases the firing rate of the other cold receptors in the body, resulting in a net decrease of cold receptor activity and a net increase of warm receptor activity i.e. it opposes initial stimulus. An external change causes the initial stimulus (change in the net firing rate of receptors to the control center), but it's not defined as the initial stimulus, technically. It's pretty confusing though.

We probably should discuss this somewhere else, we're kinda derailing the thread.

Last edited:
just wanted to know how everyone is doing. year is going by pretty fast. In a little over a month its thanksgiving, then winter break, then next term, then may, then apply

Do you guys know if you can apply while being an undergrad? I am graduating in June 2011, and would like to begin the program in the Summer of 2011.

thanks

I was wondering if I could get advice for the HCP application process. I am currently working at a Children's hospital and am really interested in applying for the program next summer. The application does not specify a length for the personal essay. Would it be reasonable to submit a 1-2 pg essay ( the standard length for a med school personal statement). I called the admissions office but their answer was vague. Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

There isn't really much of a reason to apply while in undergrad. You can take classes without being in the program... there's really no difference early on. BTW, everyone gets "accepted." I wouldn't stress about timing, except...

(and here's a question for me)... the website says "You must apply no later than August 31 of the year preceding application to medical school." Does anyone know if this means, for instance, August 31, 2010 when you are applying to med school in the 2010-2011 school year (for matriculation in fall 2011) or if it means you must apply by August 31, 2010 if you are applying to programs in the 2011-2012 school year (meaning, submitting applications a year after applying to the program)? Does that make sense? If I missed the August 31, 2010 deadline and I am planning to apply to programs NEXT year (fall 2011) am I out? (This semester is my first semester taking HEP classes.)

Also, does anyone have any clue if they would provide a committee letter for a DPT (doctor of physical therapy) program? DPT programs require pretty much the same prereqs med school does, except for the MCAT. (Please, no debate... I am not claiming the admissions process is as rigorous.)

Hello everyone,

I have posted here in the past about the Physics E-1a course offered at the Harvard Extension School for the premedical post-bac diploma. I started out the current semester in the class and dropped it in the second week because I did not believe I could be successful in the course as it was structured (or not structured, actually).

Now with my morale completely shot, I am attempting to find another option for taking the Physics course elsewhere in Boston. I do not want to attempt to take Rueckner's course next fall and have heard that Harvard's summer course offering is not a good option either. I think I am limited to taking a summer course somewhere, though, if I want to try to remain on schedule with things (and take Orgo and Bio next fall at Harvard Extension). I am aware that summer courses are more vigorous due to the accelerated pacing, but then again, having some actual teaching and guidance as opposed to none is better, too.

So, has anyone heard positive things about any of the summer Physics courses offered at the other Boston-area schools? Are any of them doable without completely destroying your life?! Remember, it is not enough just to simply pass for medical school application in the future. I'm willing to put in the necessary time and effort, but I also expect the class to be *possible*, too. I did not feel that way about the class at Harvard Extension.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I have posted here in the past about the Physics E-1a course offered at the Harvard Extension School for the premedical post-bac diploma. I started out the current semester in the class and dropped it in the second week because I did not believe I could be successful in the course as it was structured (or not structured, actually).

Now with my morale completely shot, I am attempting to find another option for taking the Physics course elsewhere in Boston. I do not want to attempt to take Rueckner's course next fall and have heard that Harvard's summer course offering is not a good option either. I think I am limited to taking a summer course somewhere, though, if I want to try to remain on schedule with things (and take Orgo and Bio next fall at Harvard Extension). I am aware that summer courses are more vigorous due to the accelerated pacing, but then again, having some actual teaching and guidance as opposed to none is better, too.

So, has anyone heard positive things about any of the summer Physics courses offered at the other Boston-area schools? Are any of them doable without completely destroying your life?! Remember, it is not enough just to simply pass for medical school application in the future. I'm willing to put in the necessary time and effort, but I also expect the class to be *possible*, too. I did not feel that way about the class at Harvard Extension.

Keep your morale intact. You're going to need that for your application cycle. A LOT of people dropped Rueckner's class because it's a little insane. Wanna know what the class average on the first exam was? Less than a 50. And, I've heard the second exam is harder. So, I'm basically dedicating my next two weeks to physics in a desperate attempt to not drop lower than my current B (which, due to my woeful grade on exam one, should NOT be a B, but because the grading scale is so skewed...)

I believe the one I've heard is Tufts. Students say it's a good preparation for the MCAT, as well as clearly taught.

May the heavens have mercy on your poor, physics-thrashed soul :)

Hello everyone,

Take a look at UMass Boston. At this point, summer might be your only options given your time frame. Keep your head up.

Did any of you guys have experience in healthcare prior to applying to HCP? I just looked at the application and it says to list any hospital, mental health, veterinary, etc. work or volunteer experience. It also asks for any research done or research positions held.

I don't have any of these -- do you think it will hurt my application?

Thanks.

Are you kidding me... you moved to Dorchester without doing some research? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss it is dangerous.

Depends on the location in Dorchester (coming from someone who is from the area and lives in Boston)... out by UMass and by Southie (South Boston) the area is drastically different that what is associated with Dorchester. It could be Roxbury...

Did any of you guys have experience in healthcare prior to applying to HCP? I just looked at the application and it says to list any hospital, mental health, veterinary, etc. work or volunteer experience. It also asks for any research done or research positions held.

Thanks.

Not for HCP. That's just for them to get an idea of who you are. You need to remember that the HCP is open to all who meet their basic requirements.

This doesn't hold true for applying to medical school however...

Last edited:

Thanks.

The cool thing about our program--after having nearly a semester to get to know some of the student body--is that you have a fantastic mix. Some people have had a lot of exposure and are switching focuses, some have had none, and the rest are a combination of both. Very dynamic population.

By the way...

Is anyone else reeling due to the fact that week 12 is a couple of days away???! I remember being discouraged that the pre-reqs were going to take two years to complete. Now, I'm realizing that I'll be studying for the MCAT at this time next year.

HELL yeah!

Depends on the location in Dorchester (coming from someone who is from the area and lives in Boston)... out by UMass and by Southie (South Boston) the area is drastically different that what is associated with Dorchester. It could be Roxbury...

I am also from the area and lived in Somerville til a little while ago..

It is a tossup which is more dangerous, Dorchester or Roxbury... although the Winter Hill area of Somerville is gang-central.

A&P midterm #2 tomorrow! I'm glad this class has ended up being very straightforward, though there is a large volume of material. I wish I had studied a little more for this midterm, though... just really got going yesterday morning. I've been doing well on the quizzes... My average grade is almost 19/20. But I don't seem to retain the info. for the midterms. At least the quizzes have forced me to study and make flashcards, etc., along the way.

Do you guys have a physics midterm coming up? I'm so glad I'm not taking that right now.

I am also from the area and lived in Somerville til a little while ago..

It is a tossup which is more dangerous, Dorchester or Roxbury... although the Winter Hill area of Somerville is gang-central.

But Teele and Davis (where I used to live) are only minutes away from Winter Hill, yet seem like worlds apart.

The point is, the neighborhood matters, but also the location in the neighborhood. Plus, it is the city. There is more crime in and around Harvard Square than where I live in Southie. :eek: (Of course it wasn't always that way...)

A&P midterm #2 tomorrow! I'm glad this class has ended up being very straightforward, though there is a large volume of material. I wish I had studied a little more for this midterm, though... just really got going yesterday morning. I've been doing well on the quizzes... My average grade is almost 19/20. But I don't seem to retain the info. for the midterms. At least the quizzes have forced me to study and make flashcards, etc., along the way.

Do you guys have a physics midterm coming up? I'm so glad I'm not taking that right now.

Yep! Physics is tomorrow and the class is a BEAST (not really due to the material itself...I already took the first semester and received an A-, but it was several years ago and I wanted to be fresh for the MCAT). I think the average grade on the first exam was in the 40's. The only GOOD part is that the class drops the lowest midterm out of the two. Thus, a lot of us (probably 90%) are using this as a fresh start. However, I've been studying for the last 4 or 5 days and STILL don't feel prepared. The exam format is just....bizarre, I guess.

Sounds like A&P today?! Good luck!!

I remember Rueckner saying the class avg. was around a 50/72, no? About a 70 on a 100 scale, mas o menos.

good luck to ya. think we're all gonna need it tomorrow.

What did you guys think of A&P?? I left feeling ok...which is how I left the first physics exam and I think its safe to conclude that the post-exam high is not necessarily indicative of performance. Everytime I curse having two exams in a row, I just keep thinking about the fact that med school is going to be 100x harder than this...so HCP is going to prepare us well :D

Good luck on physics tomorrow guys! (at least the lack of curve fosters good classmate solidarity, haha)

You know, I'm about to start my third practice exam, and I'm not as lost as I once thought. After cranking through practice problems for several days, I was really beginning to think that this next exam grade was going to be dismal. However, I feel kind of pumped now after being exposed to what he's asked in the past. Doesn't seem as complex.

Famous last words...

What did you guys think of A&P?? I left feeling ok...which is how I left the first physics exam and I think its safe to conclude that the post-exam high is not necessarily indicative of performance. Everytime I curse having two exams in a row, I just keep thinking about the fact that med school is going to be 100x harder than this...so HCP is going to prepare us well :D

Good luck on physics tomorrow guys! (at least the lack of curve fosters good classmate solidarity, haha)

Not sure about A&P. After the last midterm, I left feeling sure I had like a 95, then I started counting all the questions I might have gotten wrong, and I thought maybe I had an 85, but I ended up with a 92. This time I left feeling like maybe I got an 80, then upon looking things up I'm feeling more confident... hope the actual score isn't closer to my original thought.

I thought the multiple choice was easier than last time, although she didn't use quiz questions like last time. But there were fewer of the A, B, C, A and B, A and C, B and C, all of the above, none of the above types of questions. I think I only missed a few points there.

But the short answer were just weird. A combination of easy and... perhaps too easy? Seemingly so easy that my answers are wrong? I can't find answers for some of it. The reflex arc thing - if you take the interneuron out, what happens? I assumed the sensory input couldn't be integrated and the motor neuron would not respond. But then I thought about it and maybe it would, since there are so many interneurons, but the reflex would be slowed because of a disruption to the reflex arc. That's what I put, but now I am wondering if it is possible for the sensory neuron and the motor neuron to just synapse together and the reflex would be faster. I don't think so, though. Also... the question with the snail toxin blocking the voltage-gated calcium channels... I drew a chemical synapse and explained how it normally works (action potential leads to opening of VGCCs, calcium enters cell, synaptic vesicles release neurotransmitters, blah blah...) so if the VGCCs were blocked, the neurotransmitter would not be released, preventing pain reception... that was my sort of vague answer. And the question where we had to list receptors and their stimuli... that was sort of vague, but I assume she meant thermoreceptors, mechanoreceptors, etc., and not other kinds of receptors?

Well it can't be worse than A&P last year (the first year of the Extension School having it). We only had a few pages assigned from the book, every quiz (the ones at the end of each lecture) and exam had mistakes, and this was something we got from her the first class:

Student: "Can you please explain this more in depth?"
Lecturer: "No. It's not my field. I don't know anything about it."
S: "But it's going to be on the exam?"
L: "Yes. Just because I don't know it doesn't mean you don't have to."

I think close to 50 people dropped the course that night.

Well it can't be worse than A&P last year (the first year of the Extension School having it). We only had a few pages assigned from the book, every quiz (the ones at the end of each lecture) and exam had mistakes, and this was something we got from her the first class:

Student: "Can you please explain this more in depth?"
Lecturer: "No. It's not my field. I don't know anything about it."
S: "But it's going to be on the exam?"
L: "Yes. Just because I don't know it doesn't mean you don't have to."

I think close to 50 people dropped the course that night.

Yikes! Last year was actually not the first year they've had it, but presumably the first year with her. I took it in 2003 but dropped it because I was working full-time and had no pressing reason for taking it. (I was working at Harvard and could take classes for free.) I believe they have revamped the curriculum some, and it didn't have a lab before, not that our lab is that intensive.

The mistakes on quizzes and exams continue, though... I have probably had her regrade 3 or 4 of my quizzes. On the quiz before last, she used a question - word for word, with the exact same answer options - from the book, but decided her answer to it was right and the book was wrong, so she changed the answer. (She had confused "caudal" with "inferior" when it came to the brain itself.) I put the right answer and it was marked wrong. The thing is, with these, if you bring it to her attention, she'll regrade it, but she won't widely announce that she made a mistake and regrade everyone. (It's also frustrating that people benefited from it when they didn't know the right answer.)

Half the lab questions are a little too vague. In one, she asks for the bones which make up the hard palate. But if you just put "maxilla" for one, it's marked wrong. She wants the palatine process of the maxilla. I said, "but that's not the name of a bone. If you'd asked for the specific part of the bone, I would have put that. But you asked for the name of the bone, and the bone is maxilla." She said, "but this is the answer I expected." I said, but we couldn't know you expect that because you didn't ask for it. She repeated, "that is the answer I expected." (In fact, I had specifically chosen not to write that, because she only asked for the bone name, and sometimes if you don't follow the directions exactly, you'll also get points off.)

I think I'm learning a lot, mainly because of the book. This year we have a custom Harvard edition, which is three different books in one. It's over 1000 pages long, and we have to read the entire book over the course of the two semesters. I've noticed, though, that there are conflicts between what she says and what the books says... in terminology, in how things are categorized, etc.. And if you answer something based on the book, you will very well get it wrong. She doesn't seem to know what the book says.

Last edited:
So, I'm thinking of applying for next fall, but I just discovered that stafford loans will only cover me for one year. I don't want to take on private loans, because I don't know if they'll let me defer while in school. I know there's a scholarship that covers one course per semester, but not knowing how poor I would have to be to get it, I can't wait on it.

Anyone got income-earning ideas? Is any job good? Is there some resource to look up jobs at Harvard? Realistically, how many hours can one work and still perform well in their coursework?

Why will the Stafford loans only cover you for a year? (And actually, I didn't even know you could get Stafford loans for this.)

You can check out Harvard's website and view the non-student jobs which are available. I am not sure that HES non-degree students can get student jobs. But in any case, if you get a staff job, you will get partial tuition assistance for any HES and Summer School courses. (Full tuition if you work full-time, but for your purposes, you would not want to work full-time.) I used to work full-time at Harvard and took tons of courses for free. Alas... had I known my plans... I never would have quit (and gotten a masters elsewhere, only to come back and want to take more prereqs at HES.)

So, I'm thinking of applying for next fall, but I just discovered that stafford loans will only cover me for one year. I don't want to take on private loans, because I don't know if they'll let me defer while in school. I know there's a scholarship that covers one course per semester, but not knowing how poor I would have to be to get it, I can't wait on it.

Anyone got income-earning ideas? Is any job good? Is there some resource to look up jobs at Harvard? Realistically, how many hours can one work and still perform well in their coursework?

A Stafford loan can cover more than one year as long as you are a half-time student. Just don't forget that you need to submit a new FAFSA each year to be eligible (which means you can only take up to one year at a time). It's what I did.

As for working, it depends on how many courses you take and how long you've been out of school. It's entirely dependent on what you can handle. And no, you don't need to be a diploma student to apply for the internal Harvard jobs. As long as you are taking courses, you are considered internal. Use http://www.employment.harvard.edu/.

Thanks, hazmat2 and lizzo76!

I must have misunderstood the fin aid website. I interpreted it as being able to only borrow for one year, which didn't make sense to me since I have much more left on my lifetime limit.

This makes me less concerned about work, though I'll probably still try to find something part-time. If loans are available, then my plan is to try to finish a bit more quickly by taking 3 courses per semester instead of two.

The only concern I have is taking organic chem and biochem at the same time. Anyone do this? I wonder if biochem will be a bit difficult without taking orgo beforehand.