Official Harvard 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HisDudeness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm planning on beginning my premed studies at Harvard Extension School's Health Careers Program Summer 2010, am really excited about it and ready to start the discussion. Who else is looking at starting the HES program in 2010? I've invited the 2007, 2008 and 2009 threads to come share their wisdom as well. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am! I'm starting a new job with Boston EMS and actually moving to Boston from Virginia next week. Very excited and I'm planning on starting my pre-reqs in Fall 2010. I'll be taking 2 classes/semester and working full time. I'm debating taking an English course this coming spring semester.

I've followed through the 2009 HES thread and it looks like they have an info session in January. I'll be looking forward to attending that.

Anyone else?

I will be coming! I am starting in the summer and hoping to due the one year track:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am! I'm starting a new job with Boston EMS and actually moving to Boston from Virginia next week. Very excited and I'm planning on starting my pre-reqs in Fall 2010. I'll be taking 2 classes/semester and working full time. I'm debating taking an English course this coming spring semester.

I've followed through the 2009 HES thread and it looks like they have an info session in January. I'll be looking forward to attending that.

Anyone else?

I am also looking to start in Fall 2010 and will probably be going to the info session in January. Medic2MD4me - I was actually thinking of getting a job in EMS - will most EMS forces let you work around a class schedule? Also, do you know how many hours a week that kind of job usually is, and if they could require you to work night shifts?

I am also looking to start in Fall 2010 and will probably be going to the info session in January. Medic2MD4me - I was actually thinking of getting a job in EMS - will most EMS forces let you work around a class schedule? Also, do you know how many hours a week that kind of job usually is, and if they could require you to work night shifts?

I was going to send this as a PM so as not to high jack the thread, but I figured a lot of post baccs/pre meds are EMTs or medics and may be looking for work.

The Boston metro has pretty much every possible type of EMS agency:

*Fire Dept based- most of the smaller towns but long hiring process and rotating work schedule probably won't be feasible as a student

*3rd service- Boston EMS, currenly on a hiring freeze

*Hospital Based- Saints, Lowell, UMASS (in Worchester). Not continuous hiring and I believe Lowell is actually phasing our their EMS program

*Private service- there at least 10 private companies most doing some combination of 911 and interfacility. Most are continously hiring and will have a pretty flexible schedule for you (p/t or full time). This is probably your best bet in terms of hiring and schedule, though the salary is probably the lowest.

Note also that you must have Mass EMT-B or Medic certification to apply to these places. Mass does not accept Natl Registry.

dzhoshua-PM if you have any other EMS questions.

It's great to see that a few of us are gearing up already.

MHA - I'm planning on a Summer start as well and considering the one year track. I've gotten a lot of recommendations to stick with the two year track to get more extracurricular experience. Still thinking about it. Let me know if you get any leads on housing or end up looking for a roommate.

Medic and dzhoshua - I'm pretty sold on the program at this point so not sure if I'm gonna make the cross-country trek to the info session but possibly will see you there.

Hey guys. I'm graduating in May from a Uni in CT with a degree in Broadcast Journalism. I have worked at CBS News for the past three years and last spring I decided it was not the field for me. I plan on doing a post bacc program and Harvard HCP is my number one choice, but I really wish I had more information on the admission process and criteria. I have been an EMT in NJ for the last 7 years, and I know my heart is in healthcare. I plan on a summer start, and I'm eager to see the steps you guys took to get here. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Jon

Just a general question:

does anyone know if the Diploma in Pre-Medical Studies the same as a Certificate?

Just thought I would throw it out there that it might be a better idea to start in the fall as opposed to the summer for 2 big reasons:

1.) The summer tuition is much more expensive than the fall because you are taking "Harvard" Harvard summer school courses.

2.) The classes are very accelerated. You are basically learning a year's worth of material in 7 weeks.

Just thought I would throw it out there that it might be a better idea to start in the fall as opposed to the summer for 2 big reasons:

1.) The summer tuition is much more expensive than the fall because you are taking "Harvard" Harvard summer school courses.

2.) The classes are very accelerated. You are basically learning a year's worth of material in 7 weeks.

I'm doing the one year program. I've heard gen-chem in summer (7 or 8 weeks) is doable, whereas trying that with ochem or bio would not be a good idea. Also, even with tuition being higher, by doing the program in 1 year you save on tons of housing related expenses, plus a year of your life. Postbaccs unfortunately end up with a glide year, so I'm personally trying to save some time and get to medical school quicker.

I had a few questions about this program:

1) How should I go about getting solid LORs from huge intro classes, given that I'm not going to be taking the (presumably) smaller, upper-level classes?

2) How exactly does this committee letter thing work? Do you still request individual LORs, or fewer of them? :confused: And, finally, when do you have to submit the LORs by for the letter?

3) When people talk about part time work (outside of volunteering), is it medically relevant or research related? Or is it just for income?

4) Finally, if you do take the one-year, 3 course load, how does the timing work out with respect to the MCAT? Do you have time to study for it and when is the ideal time to take it, so that you can apply to med schools at a reasonably good date?

Thanks for any help! :cool:

Last edited:
hey everybody, are any of you applying to this program as an academic enhancer?

Hi Medic2MD,

Did you have to do any re-certification for your EMS in Mass? I am certified in NJ, but wasn't sure if I had to re-do the classes because of location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Medic2MD,

Did you have to do any re-certification for your EMS in Mass? I am certified in NJ, but wasn't sure if I had to re-do the classes because of location.

If your license is still valid in NJ (or any other state) then you take the written MA exam. If you did not have to take a practical to get your state license then you'll have to take the MA practical too. So basically, your education is fine, but you'll have to take an exam.

Anyone know or hear anything about when the information session will be?

Does anyone know if taking summer courses at Harvard counts towards your number of credits at the Extension School for sponsorship? I am thinking of applying to take Physics over the summer at the summer school, but I will already have taken Gen Chem and Bio II, and A and P I elsewhere, so I am worried about not having enough credits to get sponsored. I would prefer not to take Physics during next fall, simply because it is such a big part of the MCAT, and that would push my mcat prep way behind, probably allowing me to take the mcat only once during the summer, as opposed to having the opportunity to take it multiple times during the spring and summer if I do not do well the first time. So, does anyone know whether summer classes count towards your total credits?

Does anyone know if taking summer courses at Harvard counts towards your number of credits at the Extension School for sponsorship? I am thinking of applying to take Physics over the summer at the summer school, but I will already have taken Gen Chem and Bio II, and A and P I elsewhere, so I am worried about not having enough credits to get sponsored. I would prefer not to take Physics during next fall, simply because it is such a big part of the MCAT, and that would push my mcat prep way behind, probably allowing me to take the mcat only once during the summer, as opposed to having the opportunity to take it multiple times during the spring and summer if I do not do well the first time. So, does anyone know whether summer classes count towards your total credits?

Check out the website dude - there is PLENTY of information on there. In fact, the answer to your question is the first thing under sponsorship on the health careers page :D. Good luck!

This is copy and pasted ---

Once you are admitted to the Health Careers Program, you must meet the following requirements to qualify for sponsorship.
  • Complete a minimum number of credits with grades of B or higher in medical sciences courses at Harvard Extension School or Summer School, based on the GPA you earned as an undergraduate. If your undergraduate GPA was.......

Thanks Medic.

I think info sessions are January 16th . Im not sure if that is for the PreHealth program or for HES in general.

I had a few questions about this program:

1) How should I go about getting solid LORs from huge intro classes, given that I'm not going to be taking the (presumably) smaller, upper-level classes?

2) How exactly does this committee letter thing work? Do you still request individual LORs, or fewer of them? :confused: And, finally, when do you have to submit the LORs by for the letter?

3) When people talk about part time work (outside of volunteering), is it medically relevant or research related? Or is it just for income?

4) Finally, if you do take the one-year, 3 course load, how does the timing work out with respect to the MCAT? Do you have time to study for it and when is the ideal time to take it, so that you can apply to med schools at a reasonably good date?

Thanks for any help! :cool:

1. Go to your discussion sections and get to know your TFs! Since the classes are so big, the TFs will write the LOR, and the professor will put it on Harvard letterhead and sign it. Also, it's a good idea to try to get to know some of the professors. The best way to do this is by going to their office hours (office hours are also helpful in terms of learning the material). I took gen chem over the summer, and that was the easiest class for me to get to know the professor - the summer classes have fewer students, and you see the professor every day (instead of once a week).

Also, your class grade will affect the strength of the LOR. So try to get an A!

2. You still have to get individual LORs. You also need to answer a ton of essay questions and pay $500. Then Owen Peterson compiles your essays, the LORs, and any additional information into one letter. I think the deadline is June 15, but definitely get it to him sooner.

3. Some people have hospital jobs. Some do research. Some do unrelated work that pays the bills, while also doing relevant volunteer work.

4. I have a friend who took the MCAT a couple days after finals were over (she and I were both in the 1-year program). I did not have time to study during the semester, so I took the DAT (I'm pre-dental) a month after finals. I spent that month studying all day every day. Do what works for you. Taking the test early is good, but it's more important to do really well.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Hey! Are there a lot of opportunities for volunteer experience and hospital jobs?

Hi mbm54!! I just applied to the program and got accepted!! But I'll be using the program as an academic enhancer as well :(. Can't wait to meet you!!

Does anyone have any idea on how to begin looking for housing in the Cambridge area?

And I will be looking for volunteer experiences and hospital jobs too. Eek!

Hey pitufina! I was also just accepted into the program! I tried looking for housing online and the apartments were so expensive!! to save money, I will probably have to find a roommate. yes, any information on housing would be much appreciated. I also hope to attend the open house in January. i look forward to meeting you!

In terms of finding housing, your best bet is Craigslist. To filter your options, on the top of the page select Boston/Cambridge/Brookline, that way you're not sifting through housing hours away in the north and south shores.

Harvard is off the redline, so check out the MBTA website and see what areas are convenient to and from the redline. Or, you could live in Cambridge and walk to class. For those of you not already living here, or pretty much anywhere in a northeast city will soon realize that rent is very expensive. Even with a couple roomates expect to shell out at a minimum $450 for either a run down place in a good location or a nice place in a sketchy location. The more you spend, the closer you can get to the T, a nice neighborhood, ect. Somerville may have some better deals with some areas being very nice and other areas not so nice.

It may also be beneficial to find roomates off this forum. I have 2 roomates now that I DEFINITELY could not live with while taking my prereqs. They're still in their college partying days and I would lose my mind trying to study in that environment. So come summer/fall, I'll be looking for roomates too!

I am thinking of starting in the summer if anyone is looking for a roommate.

Hi all,

I want to apply for the Harvard postbac and can someone tell me what they think about my chances of getting in?
I'm a computer science undergrad in my senior year, overall GPA is a 3.3, sciences GPA with maths included is a 3.3. Should I wait for the fall semester's grades to kick in or should I apply now?

Thanks you so much!

Last edited:
Apply now! I am also a senior and my GPA was lower than yours and I was still accepted. People are telling me that admission into HCP isn't that competitive and that most people that apply are accepted. Good luck!

thank you, mbm! how long did it take from when you sent in your application until you received a response? was it by email/mail or both?

no problem! lets see, i mailed my stuff in on a friday, they received it the following monday and they MAILED a response on wednesday (i was expecting an email). i found out the following monday. so it should take about a week.

i mailed mine in like a week ago, it shoulda gotten there on monday but I still haven't heard anything back =/

if they got your stuff on the monday that just passed, they probably won't mail a response until the mid/end of this week. so you should expect something by the beginning of next week. if you're worried, just call the office. owen peterson is very nice and helpful.

Hello everyone!

Congrats to those who got accepted; I hope I get in too!
I have not applied to the HES program yet either, but will be sending it in by Friday. I would like to start in the summer of 2010! I have so many questions for you guys, but I will try to keep it short.

Does anyone still need to take all science pre-req courses? Or pursuing dental school instead of med?

I have just under an 3.0 cumulative gpa, do you think I have a shot?

If I get in, I will definitely be looking for a roommate and housing also, so please keep me in mind.

Thanks a lot everyone and hope to hear from you soon!

Hey predent!

I've taken all of my pre-med requirements so I'll just be taking some advanced sciences to boost by science GPA. I have heard of others who haven't taken all of their pre-reqs though, and finish them up once they are in the program. But since you've already taken some of the prerequisites you just won't be eligible for the Diploma program. In terms of your GPA, I think you definitely have a chance. I've read in past posts that they have a 2.7 science GPA cut-off, but w/e you have I think you should def still apply. Have faith in yourself!

And butters149, I think you should call the HCP office up; Mr. Owen Peterson is very nice and responsive to e-mails. You can also easily access him via phone.

Good luck everyone, and I hope to hear more from all of you as the year progresses! :highfive:

Just a random question - does anyone know if lab sciences are graded as one class or two, and how they are weighted when it comes to calculating GPA for AMCAS?

Thanks pitufina88!

I actually have not taken any pre-reqs yet; sorry if my post was confusing. I am definitely going to apply, and soon. Congrats on your acceptance!

Will you be starting in the summer or fall?

I got in the HCP program! Thanks everyone! I'm from Cali and never been to the East coast before, so I have no idea how things will be, what to wear etc. Anyone need a roommate? heh

Hey predent, I'm going to start in the Fall of 2010. I'm going crazy trying to look for housing already, but I think I need to relax 'cause it's too early! But yea apply soon and good luck!

And congratulations butters!!! :soexcited: And I actually am looking for a roommate, or more than one roommate so that we can all live together.

congrats butters!! i am on the east coast right now and it is currently ONE DEGREE outside!! dress in layers and get some warm boots, hats and gloves! i am also looking for housing and it is a hassel. i call the rental agencies and they are telling me that its way too early. i have an idea, in the area they have a lot of 6 bedroom, 2 bathroom homes for rent. rent would be anywhere from 500-700/month for each person depending on the location. it would be kinda cool if we all lived in a nice house. if anybody is interested, i wouldn't mind coordinating this! PM me if interested

Just a random question - does anyone know if lab sciences are graded as one class or two, and how they are weighted when it comes to calculating GPA for AMCAS?

lab sciences at harvard? im confused. at my school bio lab was separate, while gen chem was all together.

Yea that is a good idea mbm. Those who are interested (including me :)) can start looking for like 6 or 7 bedroom places early next year and we can all live together. Since we'd all be in the same program we wouldn't have to worry about living with some other random students. I love the idea.

As for the lab sciences in the program dzhoshua, I would assume that if the lab is included within the class, then it would be graded as one 4 or 5 credit class (with a lecture and lab component). It would probably be specified in the course description if the lab sciences you are referring to are solely labs, or lecture courses with lab components.

I am applying to start next summer, so if anyone is looking for a roommate for next summer, pm me.

For those starting in the summer which classes do you plan on taking during the summer course?

How is everyone that is starting in the summer/fall preparing right now for bio/chem?

i have an idea, in the area they have a lot of 6 bedroom, 2 bathroom homes for rent. rent would be anywhere from 500-700/month for each person depending on the location. it would be kinda cool if we all lived in a nice house. if anybody is interested, i wouldn't mind coordinating this! PM me if interested

Hey, I'm planning on starting next summer and this sounds like a great plan. I will PM you.

(also thanks everyone for all of the advice on this and previous years' threads :thumbup:)

Yea Fish, i saw that you plan on starting in the fall (which is when I am starting) so if you decide to start the HCP, just PM me. Good luck with the application man! the sooner, the better!

Hey all,

I'm seriously considering HES, but not sure if I should start in the summer or fall? i'll need all pre-reqs, but not sure what order to take them in. I was thinking Bio/gen-Chem1 Fall, Bio/gen-chem2 Spring, but that only leaves O-chem for summer, and I hear thats not a very smart idea. any thoughts? If I started summer it would be a little different, do people usually take 1 or 2 courses in the summer? I'll also be looking for a house with roomates, because i can't afford 1200/month for a 1 bedroom place lol. If anyone is looking for roomies let me know! the more studious the better!

decentdude,

from what i hear, people take gen chem in the summer. people on the 1 year track then take physics/bio/orgo during the fall and spring semesters. in terms of housing, i am trying to coordinate a HCP 2010 House. ill be starting in the fall, so if you decide to attend the program in the fall and if you're interested in being in the house just PM me!

Hi everyone. I'm planning on beginning my premed studies at Harvard Extension School's Health Careers Program Summer 2010, am really excited about it and ready to start the discussion. Who else is looking at starting the HES program in 2010? I've invited the 2007, 2008 and 2009 threads to come share their wisdom as well. :)

Hi!
Nice to meet you!
I also start the HES program in 2010.
Do you know the schedule we should check before starting program?

decentdude,

from what i hear, people take gen chem in the summer. people on the 1 year track then take physics/bio/orgo during the fall and spring semesters. in terms of housing, i am trying to coordinate a HCP 2010 House. ill be starting in the fall, so if you decide to attend the program in the fall and if you're interested in being in the house just PM me!

MBM,

Thanks for the info! Summer does sound intriguing, but I don't want to rush into the program either, and taking a combined bio 1/2 or chem 1/2 over the course of 7 weeks in the summer, seems a bit much. I'm still trying to figure out an optimal schedule for my 8 required classes. Has anyone started in the summer with the combined 8 credit courses? How did they find the course, challenging? I think I'd rather ease into the culture of Harvard, learn it, and take my 2 classes in the fall, I just don't know about O-chem 1/2 summer 2011 :(

I have a 3.31 GPA and a 3.1or 3.2 science GPA and am a science major. 35ed my MCAT. Do I fit for the HCP program? I'm really unsure what I should be doing.